Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for O'Neil being poached, many worried for the first three years that Nuno would inevitably go to Man United or Arsenal.

The failure of Potter at Chelsea will cause any covetous owners to think twice. Some managers just fit certain clubs at certain times.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for O'Neil being poached, many worried for the first three years that Nuno would inevitably go to Man United or Arsenal.

The failure of Potter at Chelsea will cause any covetous owners to think twice. Some managers just fit certain clubs at certain times.
Good point. I think GON will want to have a season at Wolves where he gets some players 'of his own', so can't see him jumping ship just yet in any case.

Last edited:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I duck out of that thread as soon as we go behind or a team draws level. If you're remotely pragmatic it means you must be a West Brom infiltrator, a tree hugger, or both.

Good fun when we're winning, mind. Videos of our goals tend to go up quickly and love fills the air.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not much fun when the team are losing either.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looked pal! Nah, you’re all good, you gave Gaz a chance. Well done you :)
Hope you havn't (checked).
It's Saturday, get out there and toast the weekend. We're all Gold n Black whatever we feel.
In fairness, i wasn't over keen on Major Buckley's appointment at the time, but he grew on me.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's Saturday, get out there and toast the weekend. We're all Gold n Black whatever we feel.
In fairness, i wasn't over keen on Major Buckley's appointment at the time, but he grew on me.
Did you know him when he was a mere private? ;)

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to you though you didn’t post about it all over the internet at the time :cool:
I could have sworn that the World Wide Web was around at that time, but then again the advancing years coupled with fine brandies does tend to "cloud" the mind.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be pretty disapointed if he jumped ship after the opportunity we gave him after one season. If he backs this season up ( and who knows what will happen the rest of this one ) with another one with financial constraints next year I wouldn't blame him for leaving. If he walks now I think that would be a bit pathetic.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be pretty disapointed if he jumped ship after the opportunity we gave him after one season. If he backs this season up ( and who knows what will happen the rest of this one ) with another one with financial constraints next year I wouldn't blame him for leaving. If he walks now I think that would be a bit pathetic.
After the “welcome” he got from fans like you I’d say he owes us **** all. You wanted him sacked 2 months ago :tearsofjoy:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv just got in mate, toasted the weekend as I always do!
I did check, doesn’t take long.
Bored of the “we’re all wolves” ****e excuse for talking *******s on here to be honest.
If you chat **** on here you should get called out. The crap spouted after Gaz got the job was embarrassing.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the “welcome” he got from fans like you I’d say he owes us **** all. You wanted him sacked 2 months ago :tearsofjoy:

And fans like you would have had us on our knees because you wanted that fraud who falls apart when the momentum stops to stay on as our manager.
And if you are going to call me out for wanting him sacked at least get your facts right, it was probably more like 5 months ago and he's got plenty of credit from me as well.

Just remember, he still hasnt achieved anything yet. Yes, he's exceeded what i thought he was capable of at this moment in time, but thats all it is right now. He's got us in a position i've always said this side is capable of achieving and to be fair to him, its been entertaining. Lets see if he can keep the momentum going not just for the rest of this season, but next season when the expectation on him will be a lot higher.

And yes, he owes us everything. No other Premier league club would have messed things up so badly that they would have been desperate enough to employ him. If he walked out to go to West Ham for example based on what he has achieved right now after the opportunity he got here, as i said, that would be pretty pathetic. If he has a good end to the season and follows it up, if the investment still isnt there i think he would have the runs on the board to entitle him to a job that may have better financial backing.

Last edited:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of owing anyone. He's at a more or less ideal spot for a young manager: settled at a midtable club. Succeeding at Wolves is just as valuable for a CV as doing the same at West Ham....and he's doing it. It's not like he's stuck in yearly relegation fights from here.

There's just no upside. I see no reason his next job isn't at one of the country's biggest clubs if he keeps succeeding at Wolves.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And fans like you would have had us on our knees because you wanted that fraud who falls apart when the momentum stops to stay on as our manager.
And if you are going to call me out for wanting him sacked at least get your facts right, it was probably more like 5 months ago and he's got plenty of credit from me as well.

Just remember, he still hasnt achieved anything yet. Yes, he's exceeded what i thought he was capable of at this moment in time, but thats all it is right now. He's got us in a position i've always said this side is capable of achieving and to be fair to him, its been entertaining. Lets see if he can keep the momentum going not just for the rest of this season, but next season when the expectation on him will be a lot higher.

And yes, he owes us everything. No other Premier league club would have messed things up so badly that they would have been desperate enough to employ him. If he walked out to go to West Ham for example based on what he has achieved right now after the opportunity he got here, as i said, that would be pretty pathetic. If he has a good end to the season and follows it up, if the investment still isnt there i think he would have the runs on the board to entitle him to a job that may have better financial backing.
He owes us because we messed up prior to him arriving. That is the most nonsensical argument I have seen on here for a long time. As for excusing the vitriol aimed ay GON, no chance.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He owes us because we messed up prior to him arriving. That is the most nonsensical argument I have seen on here for a long time. As for excusing the vitriol aimed ay GON, no chance.

I never said he owes us because we messed up as a club, more for us giving him the opportunity. I dont think there is much debate though if we didnt there is no way another premier league team would have employed him so i am happy to say he owes us for the opportunity. And he's took the opportunity with both hands and got plenty of praise from the doubters like me. I'm sure people like you and your ilk think you have to stick by your opinions no matter what. As i have said before, my opinions have always been fluid, as they should be with any right minded person. Praise when its deserved, same as criticism when its warranted.

As for excusing vitriol, dont make me laugh. Thats just being a drama queen with that statement. People were underwhelmed and thought we could do better. nothing more, unless you look at things over dramatically, which it appears you are.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeez guys……regarding Gary leaving……..aren’t we getting a little bit ahead of ourselves here?

Let’s at least get the season finished first .

Its going to get talked about tbf, especially with a club like West Ham involved who he has associations with and he's from that neck of the woods. I think most young managers who's team are doing well and playing exciting, attacking football would get linked with other jobs.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv just got in mate, toasted the weekend as I always do!
I did check, doesn’t take long.
Bored of the “we’re all wolves” ****e excuse for talking *******s on here to be honest.
If you chat **** on here you should get called out. The crap spouted after Gaz got the job was embarrassing.

Football fans are, and always will be, fickle and reactionary. The game is an intense emotional release from our (often) otherwise mundane lives and we will change our minds on managers, players, owners, tactics, referees, VAR etc depending upon the most recent outcome. For me, that rollercoaster is actually what makes it brilliant and a prefect release from what is going on in our lives elsewhere. I dont think people need “calling out” for that fickleness months later. It’s part of the game and what makes football and forums like this so popular.

I was Garry out. Now I’m Garry is god. At some point I am sure I will be Gary is an PE teacher again. That’s football and that’s why I love it. .

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a short period of time it feels like GON has built a good bond with the squad, I think it would be a huge gamble to give that up for a similar club like West Ham and even for a big 6 club, but not sure he's done enough for that.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football fans are, and always will be, fickle and reactionary. The game is an intense emotional release from our (often) otherwise mundane lives and we will change our minds on managers, players, owners, tactics, referees, VAR etc depending upon the most recent outcome. For me, that rollercoaster is actually what makes it brilliant and a prefect release from what is going on in our lives elsewhere. I dont think people need “calling out” for that fickleness months later. It’s part of the game and what makes football and forums like this so popular.

I was Garry out. Now I’m Garry is god. At some point I am sure I will be Gary is an PE teacher again. That’s football and that’s why I love it. .

Fans do get emotional, its part of being a football fan, especially right after games when there can either be a lot of elation or frustration. I doubt there is a football fan on here that hasnt reacted in an emotional way. As you said, its what makes football great.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

IMG_4665.jpeg

Well you’d have had no hesitation in sacking him on December 9th!! :tearsofjoy:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don’t disagree that fans are reactionary and I get it at games, the way Iv behaved at football matches makes me cringe looking back.

But, if folk are going to give opinions on a forum, then there’s nothing wrong with others pointing out when they are wrong, particularly when they’ve been abusive and disrespectful. You were one of the worst but in fairness you held your hands up unlike a few others!

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t disagree that fans are reactionary and I get it at games, the way Iv behaved at football matches makes me cringe looking back.

But, if folk are going to give opinions on a forum, then there’s nothing wrong with others pointing out when they are wrong, particularly when they’ve been abusive and disrespectful. You were one of the worst but in fairness you held your hands up unlike a few others!

But similarly you were a huge defender of Bruno. So at certain times we have both been right and wrong. There is no long term plan n football. Managers and players live and die by the hear and now.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 40702

Well you’d have had no hesitation in sacking him on December 9th!! :tearsofjoy:

Thats not me though saying sack him is it, thats me saying if i though we were going to start investing and push on again like when we first got promotion i wouldnt at that time, and still wouldnt have any hesitation in sacking him. I think he's done well enough, but i think if we did aim to go to that next level we, rightly or wrongly, we would go for a higher profile but i do think he would get given a shot first.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont think people were particularly abusive or disrecpectful towards him, myself included. About the only thing i wasnt a fan of was the PE teacher stuff. I just didnt think he was good enough. At times i think he's ridden his luck, and at times he's had some shocking luck as well. We have been exceptionally poor in games, and we have been exilarating in others. I do think people sometimes do have short term memories. We havent been brilliant all season, we have played like what we are , a mid table premier league side.

I dont really think i have held my hands up about him tbh. I see it more as i have been critical when we have played rubbish and given people credit when its deserved, which imo is how it should be. People can still react good and bad on a forum, doesnt have to be just when people are in the stadium.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forums are always a results business. Win and the general sentiment is good, lose and it flips on its head. There's very little in the way of nuance

When Lage got his manager of the month the results had been great and we were a few points off 4th. But the performances were generally poor and we scraped wins

But guess what, despite the reinvention of history from the I told you so brigade, the Mix was pro-Lage, furious at the club for not backing him in the window and worried he'd either walk or be poached

Within a few short months results started mirroring the performances and Lage was the devil incarnate

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think he leaves us for wet spam…… They might be World Cup winners….. but they are a basket case of a club operationally. Would be an awful career move
They have utterly ****e fans too. Think the patrons of this forum went OTT after his poor start? There'd have been placards with "GON out" in the stadium at Wet Spam, and remonstrations outside it. Like you, I think there's no chance Gary leaves us at the end of the season. Considering his prospects of a top flight job where almost nil when we appointed him, such an act of disloyalty would be as bad or worse than anything Lopetegui did.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham have a big Olympic athletics stadium they blagged off the government. Outside of that, they are hardly any different to the likes of Palace or QPR.

In saying that though, I actually quite like their fan base to be fair, lots of parallels with us, and not at all full of day trippers like spurs or even more so Arsenal.

The way the London media portray the club though, it does make me laugh.
They're different to Palace and QPR in that both clubs combined would struggle to fill the London Stadium.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a lot wrong with the comms thread. I try to avoid it unless we are winning comfortably. Full of hysteria and mental instability
Football is an emotional and reactive sport. People post their immediate feelings/emotions/thoughts on that thread. I wouldn't take it as representative.

Having said that l mostly steer clear of that thread.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is an emotional and reactive sport. People post their immediate feelings/emotions/thoughts on that thread. I wouldn't take it as representative.

Having said that l mostly steer clear of that thread.
I think that's fair but i just think there could be a little bit of a filter between emotions, brain and fingers on the keyboard. It's bad enough if you're surrounded by excessive moaners when you're at the mol, but on a matchday thread i could do without do without the uncensored emotional discharge. Like you, I avoid it where possible

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just come back on this thread for the first time in a while. I find it so sad when Mixers drag up old posts to try to humiliate/embarrass/denigrate/ other Mixers for no other reason than try to look clever. Hindsight is wonderful.
Welcome to the internet age. Everything you write is there for posterity

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think people were particularly abusive or disrecpectful towards him, myself included. About the only thing i wasnt a fan of was the PE teacher stuff. I just didnt think he was good enough. At times i think he's ridden his luck, and at times he's had some shocking luck as well. We have been exceptionally poor in games, and we have been exilarating in others. I do think people sometimes do have short term memories. We havent been brilliant all season, we have played like what we are , a mid table premier league side.

I dont really think i have held my hands up about him tbh. I see it more as i have been critical when we have played rubbish and given people credit when its deserved, which imo is how it should be. People can still react good and bad on a forum, doesnt have to be just when people are in the stadium.
Chancer, yes man and weak minded are all on page 1 of the tactics thread. I get that we shouldn't keep dragging things up, but let's not rewrite history either, unless you think none of that is disrespectful.

Back
Top Bottom