Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome to the internet age. Everything you write is there for posterity
That's true but I would think perhaps 90% of us on here in August said, looking back, some pretty embarrassing things about GON. If we accept that then why resurrect some of those posts now? What is the point? We should be looking forward not backwards.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's true but I would think perhaps 90% of us on here in August said, looking back, some pretty embarrassing things about GON. If we accept that then why resurrect some of those posts now? What is the point? We should be looking forward not backwards.

(?)
Omar Khayyám

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”​

― Omar Khayyám
tags: indelibility, poetry, regret, time

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Generally it is happening because some are trying to suggest that it - the abuse - didn't happen.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If looking forward you mean let’s not be hasty in the future with condemning players or coaches?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chancer, yes man and weak minded are all on page 1 of the tactics thread. I get that we shouldn't keep dragging things up, but let's not rewrite history either, unless you think none of that is disrespectful.

I think its a bit oversensitive to say thats abusive. But trying to lump anyone who wasn't happy with him as being abusive and disrespectful is equally as bad. I doubt it's really that many people in the scheme of things that said that either. People love making out a minority of people saying or doing the wrong thing speak for everyone.

And I still think he is a yes man personally because he wasn't really in a position to be anything else, and he still isnt. The more he proves himself, the less he will have to tow the line with what the club says.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its a bit oversensitive to say thats abusive. But trying to lump anyone who wasn't happy with him as being abusive and disrespectful is equally as bad. I doubt it's really that many people in the scheme of things that said that either. People love making out a minority of people saying or doing the wrong thing speak for everyone.

And I still think he is a yes man personally because he wasn't really in a position to be anything else, and he still isnt. The more he proves himself, the less he will have to tow the line with what the club says.
Everyone is a yes man to the person who pays them, you are, I am, he is.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Idk, I thought Lopetegui played his cards perfectly as not a yes man. Really showed how to work the system. Look at him now. Killing it.

Such a career. Every job he's had, fans look back on him fondly. Really knows how to make an exit too.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Idk, I thought Lopetegui played his cards perfectly as not a yes man. Really showed how to work the system. Look at him now. Killing it.

Such a career. Every job he's had, fans look back on him fondly. Really knows how to make an exit too.
Hi Julen.

Who you waiting for? The Toon? Or Moyes to move on?

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same issues still haunt him. Consistency.
He cannot get results agin teams he should be beating.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Don’t blame him today. He said he wanted two forwards in January and didn’t get them. Coventry knew they could have a go because we didn’t have a threat up top.

The fact we were chasing the game in an FA Cup Quarter Final and our first two subs were Doherty and Chiwome is ridiculous.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t blame him today. He said he wanted two forwards in January and didn’t get them. Coventry knew they could have a go because we didn’t have a threat up top.

The fact we were chasing the game in an FA Cup Quarter Final and our first two subs were Doherty and Chiwome is ridiculous.

I am the same as you.

He has been failed by Jeff! Jeff ****ed the finances to the point we couldn’t strengthen and till the sale of Nunes after all the departures our only signing was an old DOC on a free….

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lordy….how many times are you going to beat that January window drum today?…..I think you’ve mentioned it about 4 times since the second half started

Last edited:

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score

Don't blame him entirely but we had another sub window right? If so, why not throw on B.Traore on to congest the middle / add energy at 90 mins, and more importantly eat up a minute or so?

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
GON got it wrong today, yeah. 100%. But it's not enough for me to change my mind on the guy at all.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Lordy….how many times are you going to beat that January window today?…..I think you’ve mentioned it about 4 times since the second half started

Well, it’s just played a massive part in costing us the best chance we will ever have of making Wembley so I’m probably going to mention it a couple more times today…

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON got it wrong today, yeah. 100%. But it's not enough for me to change my mind on the guy at all.
Gary didn’t have a lot of wiggle room , did he, what with the injuries and all.
Plus it was the defence that cost us the game……not Gary.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hung out to dry in January. Was worried this might happen with injuries and it has. With a couple of additions in January and able to rotate we win this game today. Squad left far to weak and I dont blame ONeil for that. Shi cant be leaving our squad this weak again.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Things can be said about the way he utilised the players he had and seemingly set them up to play today. He's not blameless but I'm also not going to put all of said blame on him.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Candidate for ‘Most Sensible Post‘ award

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He picked the team and made what looked to be like no adjustments to stop them throwing crosses into the box too easily.

He was handcuffed by injuries, but he made some massive mistakes tactically today

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awesome last week but his inexperience showed today. We were all over the shop from a tactical POV.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't blame Gary O'Neil for this defeat he had all his aces in the Wolves pack missing up front Cunha, Hwang and Pedro Neto ..

With both our goals scored by wing backs tells us how we are missing our forwards / strikers. Plus GON had to gamble when 1-0 down and he almost pulled it off.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He picked the team and made what looked to be like no adjustments to stop them throwing crosses into the box too easily.

He was handcuffed by injuries, but he made some massive mistakes tactically today
In your opinion……
I’d take his lineup and tactics over yours
Anyway, whatever

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In your opinion……
I’d take his lineup and tactics over yours
Anyway, whatever

Tactically he did get it wrong today….. that isn’t up for debate as when you give up 24 shots on your goal at home to a lower league team who were significantly better you got the set up and tactics wrong.

They did the same pass and moves to make the crosses repeatedly and he did nothing to stop it.

He had a shocker today.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are allowed to criticise a manager's tactics and decisions without having his qualifications and experience.

I understand you are upset but we all are. There is no need to be rude to me or anyone else.
I wasn’t being rude at all…..was just politely saying what I think…..but let’s leave it there

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't blame Gary O'Neil for this defeat he had all his aces in the Wolves pack missing up front Cunha, Hwang and Pedro Neto ..

With both our goals scored by wing backs tells us how we are missing our forwards / strikers. Plus GON had to gamble when 1-0 down and he almost pulled it off.
Attackers missing is a fair point but we conceded 3 goals after our GK pulling off 2 or 3 world class saves. That hardly excuses our general performance which was appalling. Back 5, Lemina left wing to start....disastrous

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactically he did get it wrong today….. that isn’t up for debate as when you give up 24 shots on your goal at home to a lower league team who were significantly better you got the set up and tactics wrong.

They did the same pass and moves to make the crosses repeatedly and he did nothing to stop it.

He had a shocker today.
Exactly, 24 shots faced and 12 on target Vs Champ opposition.

Not even the result that's annoying me at this point, that performance was a disgrace. I'd go as far to say that I don't think all of our players left 100% out there to be honest, Cov worked harder.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hung out to dry in January. Was worried this might happen with injuries and it has. With a couple of additions in January and able to rotate we win this game today. Squad left far to weak and I dont blame ONeil for that. Shi cant be leaving our squad this weak again.

Today, I'm not sure anybody we bought in January would have made much difference. Just another one to look like they didn't really want it. Another playing like they can canter around , play Hollywood football and get the reward without the effort.

Thing is, if it's a striker you're thinking of, the service in to them is appalling, as it always is. We are a poor passing and crossing side. We depend on runners. Are there any more footballing greyhounds out there that we haven't signed? And even then, they mostly look good against the teams who play open and attack us, still struggle against Sheff U, Luton, Brentford etc

It's going to need more than one or two players to transform us from an inconsistent mid-table team.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today, I'm not sure anybody we bought in January would have made much difference. Just another one to look like they didn't really want it. Another playing like they can canter around , play Hollywood football and get the reward without the effort.

Thing is, if it's a striker you're thinking of, the service in to them is appalling, as it always is. We are a poor passing and crossing side. We depend on runners. Are there any more footballing greyhounds out there that we haven't signed? And even then, they mostly look good against the teams who play open and attack us, still struggle against Sheff U, Luton, Brentford etc

It's going to need more than one or two players to transform us from an inconsistent mid-table team.
Our final ball is often very poor. We got into decent positions again today and couldn’t find the pass. Even our equaliser came from a awful cross to nobody from Gomes

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think you can sacrifice your midfield general to fill a hole on the left wing against a side who was clearly going to battle in the middle and look to be more physical than us in there. We needed to get on the ball in the middle and get the team up the pitch to support Fraser. Taking Lemina out of that area killed us today and made no sense at all.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even without additions in January, we would have been in a much better position strength wise had we not gambled and sent out two senior forwards before bringing one in.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think you can sacrifice your midfield general to fill a hole on the left wing against a side who was clearly going to battle in the middle and look to be more physical than us in there. We needed to get on the ball in the middle and get the team up the pitch to support Fraser. Taking Lemina out of that area killed us today and made no sense at all.
Fully agreed, was a dreadful move.

GON tried to be clever today and got done, bound to happen with his inexperience.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t blame him today. He said he wanted two forwards in January and didn’t get them. Coventry knew they could have a go because we didn’t have a threat up top. The fact we were chasing the game in an FA Cup Quarter Final and our first two subs were Doherty and Chiwome is ridiculous.
I need no excuse to highlight the inadequacies of Jeff Shi, but I can only agree with this to an extent in the context of today's game. Robbins simply out-thought him, putting Palmer a little bit further forward to operate just in front our defence, and he had all sorts of pockets of space to operate in, always the wrong side of our midfield. Gary needed to sit Doyle or Gomes on top of him for 10-15 minutes just to nullify him, or bring on Boubabar to do a proper job but he didn't.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agreed, was a dreadful move.

GON tried to be clever today and got done, bound to happen with his inexperience.
That’s the thing, he’s a young manager and is also learning on the job. I just wish he would have played this one a little safer in terms of square pegs and round holes. Against Fulham we set up to support Fraser and get players round him, we abandoned that idea today.

Back
Top Bottom