Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

That Save - Gordon Banks

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I agree.
I think its taken on legendary status due to the occasion, opposition and the fact it involved Pele.

No doubt a great save but theres probably 10 made in leagues all over the world on a weekly basis just as good if not better.
Believe me it took on legendary status at the time and not just subsequently

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He originally played for Leicester. Remember him as an unknown in a very classy Leicester team that tonked us 3-0 at the Mol in December 1959 when we were at the top of the tree.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
He originally played for Leicester. Remember him as an unknown in a very classy Leicester team that tonked us 3-0 at the Mol in December 1959 when we were at the top of the tree.
Don't forget his time at Chesterfield before Leicester.
Happy 80th birthday Gordon -Legend .

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.
I think its taken on legendary status due to the occasion, opposition and the fact it involved Pele.

No doubt a great save but theres probably 10 made in leagues all over the world on a weekly basis just as good if not better.
My sentiments exactly. Yes, a truly amazing save, but it's iconic now purely due to it being at a time when 'live' games were few and far between, it was a world cup game, it was England, and was against Pele and his Brazilian superstars.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. Yes, a truly amazing save, but it's iconic now purely due to it being at a time when 'live' games were few and far between, it was a world cup game, it was England, and was against Pele and his Brazilian superstars.
In fairness it was iconic back in 1970 too

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw it live at the the time on tv. It was incredible..... It still is!

Gordon is the best keeper ive ever seen and I've seen a fair few.

D

Deleted member 4023

The Mexico games were played at altitude.Many of them in hot humid conditions. The match balls travelled faster & it was difficult to judge trajectory or bounce.The european teams struggled with the heat.

If Pele thought it was the greatest save ever - then who are we to disagree with him? - although Gordon just said it was a good save

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Amazing save, yes.... but as a goalkeeper myself I view it (and all other saves) different to most.

If it is possible to make a save, the save should always be made... it's not like being a striker when you get another chance to stick it in the net... you need to do your job.

I truly beieve I, and every other keeper ever, has at one point made a save just as good as Banks' save.... to qualify that, I mean a save on the very brink of possible and impossible.

What makes a keeper good, is not making errors.

Yout85 is on the money ...... it was indeed a good save, the occasion also adds to it.
Athough the only reason Banks was able to make it was because Pele headed it downwards, this bought Banks the extra time he needed to get across an extra yard and make the stop, the upward bounce also helps him steer the ball safely out of play.

It probably doesn’t look like it to most, but those little points gave Banks the help he needed

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Seaman’s stop against the Blades was good, but not great.... all happens very close to him, for a big fella it wasn’t too difficult to make.

Back
Top Bottom