Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

That Save - Gordon Banks

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a brief aside to the big game, just been reminiscing as it's Banks's 80th. Beeb website have a bit of a profile on him including THAT save.

I'm old enough to have remembered seeing it live and, despite seeing some great saves since then, for me it is still the greatest save I've personally ever seen. Especially after watching it again without slow mo.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Decent save, striker should have buried it though! :D:D:D

Only messing, real time it's a brilliant save, if a keeper done it now there'd be replays for days on Sky Sports News haha!

W

WasStefan

It is unreal. Ball is practically in the net. Some how gets it over/past the bar. Never be bettered

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was also, arguably, against the best international side ever seen (the 70s Brazil) in arguably one of the best games ever seen and included THAT miss, which poor Jeff Astle was never allowed to forget.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
It was also, arguably, against the best international side ever seen (the 70s Brazil) in arguably one of the best games ever seen and included THAT miss, which poor Jeff Astle was never allowed to forget.
Which would have meant we wouldn't have faced Germany next

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can safely say Tony Lange wouldn't of got got close to it

Y

Yout85

Amazing save, yes.... but as a goalkeeper myself I view it (and all other saves) different to most.

If it is possible to make a save, the save should always be made... it's not like being a striker when you get another chance to stick it in the net... you need to do your job.

I truly beieve I, and every other keeper ever, has at one point made a save just as good as Banks' save.... to qualify that, I mean a save on the very brink of possible and impossible.

What makes a keeper good, is not making errors.

D

Deleted member 3518

Never!!

Astle lost the World Cup, Astle lost the World Cup!!!

D

Deleted member 4382

But he was a little flat footed and set off late. Made it look harder that it was.

D

Deleted member 3518

The interesting thing was that Banks rarely had to make those kind of saves. His positional sense and awareness made goalkeeping look easy. IMV the greatest goalkeeper ever.

First house I owned was in a village called Ashley, near Loggerheads, Banks lived close by a really nice guy.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Amazing save.

Best I’ve seen whilst watching live was David Seaman V Sheffield Utd.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Really?
He had to get from front post to back post ,
I'm not so sure I've watched it a few times now and yes it was a good save, but was his positioning all that good in the first place? I don't know if it's the old footage but but peles header wasn't that powerful and a fair bit out for a header.

I know I'll get abuse for even saying it.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I'm not so sure I've watched it a few times now and yes it was a good save, but was his positioning all that good in the first place? I don't know if it's the old footage but but peles header wasn't that powerful and a fair bit out for a header.

He shuffled across from the original cross.Pele had a prodigious leap and managed to head it down on a pitch and bounce surface which was what made it special for me,

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was ill but there was never any accusation of him being poisoned .

True but I think Banksy had 'suspicions' as he was the only one to get ill after they'd all eaten the same food.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fair comment. In these two pics, the ball has just bounced and its clearly on its way in. Banks shuffled across from the near post as he had to do, positioning himself pretty much centre goal. The skill is in then in the reaction, diving back and scooping the ball over the bar from just in front of the goal line. Peter Schmeichel said it's the best save he'd ever seen and I think he is right.

englands_gordon_banks_makes_a_great_save_from_a_header_by_brazil_195259.jpg
Gordon Banks v Pele.jpg

Last edited:

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree.
I think its taken on legendary status due to the occasion, opposition and the fact it involved Pele.

No doubt a great save but theres probably 10 made in leagues all over the world on a weekly basis just as good if not better.

Back
Top Bottom