Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team v WHU

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's funnier is that Bruno will send out exactly the same formation as he does every week, with the bare minimum of changes to shoe horn what's needed into any gaps. Neves at CH is more than possible.
From what I heard on the radio yesterday Costa won't even be half match fit by this game so will probably be Podence up front.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo kilman Toti ran
Neves traore nunes
Guedes podence Neto

Never want to see Neto on the right again

superwolves

Reaction score
I’ll laugh my sack off if we turn up and Neves is centre half.

Sackable in itself, but seems like he’s got 100x lives so why not.
Why? What did Neves do wrong to not be played there again under the circumstances? He's virtually been playing centre half anyway for the last 4 years

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is ****ing nailed on to start. After that, likely the same old….

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? What did Neves do wrong to not be played there again under the circumstances? He's virtually been playing centre half anyway for the last 4 years
Because, we have defenders. He’s supposed to be there to be creating, not ****ing defending.

superwolves

Reaction score
Because, we have defenders. He’s supposed to be there to be creating, not ****ing defending.
But they are defenders who the manager doesn't trust in a back 4 and said they need a loan out or under 23 games. Maybe going back 5 while Collins is out is the better option certainly for the 2 away games anyway

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's so true. Just had a thought - you know how Coady was converted from a defensive midfielder to a CH/Sweeper in a back 3? He couldn't do the same with Neves, could he?

Sa
Kilman-Neves-Toti
Jonny-Moutinho-Traore-RAN
Neto-Podence-Guedes

As we are now in 17th, it must be close to "grinding out points the only way we know how" time? All the players struggling, Neto, RaN, Guedes etc. you got to keep playing them till they aren't. Nunes? Too risky, gets a bit too far forward, leaves the defence exposed. On the bench for him.

superwolves

Reaction score
That's so true. Just had a thought - you know how Coady was converted from a defensive midfielder to a CH/Sweeper in a back 3? He couldn't do the same with Neves, could he?

Sa
Kilman-Neves-Toti
Semedo-Moutinho-Traore-Jonny
Neto-Podence-Guedes

As we are now in 17th, it must be close to "grinding out points the only way we know how" time?
He's actually becoming a clone of coady midfielder turned centre half now captain. Would make playing out from the back a doddle

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's actually becoming a clone of coady midfielder turned centre half now captain. Would make playing out from the back a doddle

Beginning to think it makes sense! Neves hardly ever scores now, if anybody had as many shots as he does, they'd score at the same rate, so no loss there. I did amend my initial selection to ensure that players get even more time in the positions they are struggling in. Neto on the right, Podence as a false 9 etc. Jonny & RaN as ineffective full backs etc. They just need a lot more practice there. The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

Chriswwfc

Reaction score

My only problem with this is albeit coady did great, Man City were never going to burst through us at pace and attack our centre backs one on one. They dominate the ball all the way up to our box.

Neves v antonio will be a different story imo.

Tricky call.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo kilman Toti Jonny
Neves Nunes
Guedes. Podence. Neto
Costa

B Traore on for Nunes after 70
Hwang on for Costa after 60 (farce this is our only option)

superwolves

Reaction score
Beginning to think it makes sense! Neves hardly ever scores now, if anybody had as many shots as he does, they'd score at the same rate, so no loss there. I did amend my initial selection to ensure that players get even more time in the positions they are struggling in. Neto on the right, Podence as a false 9 etc. Jonny & RaN as ineffective full backs etc. They just need a lot more practice there. The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.
I'm surprised why Guardiola keeps playing Mahrez on the right and klopp playing Salah on the right Sako on the right. Maybe all these managers are clueless. Neto needs to be getting to the byline and floating traore style crosses for podence to head home that might work better

superwolves

Reaction score
My only problem with this is albeit coady did great, Man City were never going to burst through us at pace and attack our centre backs one on one. They dominate the ball all the way up to our box.

Neves v antonio will be a different story imo.

Tricky call.
Yes very true his hands are tied at the moment though might be a time for a back 5 especially with 2 away games

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm surprised why Guardiola keeps playing Mahrez on the right and klopp playing Salah on the right Sako on the right. Maybe all these managers are clueless. Neto needs to be getting to the byline and floating traore style crosses for podence to head home that might work better

The difference is that we may not understand why those managers make those decisions, but looking at the results, you'd have to assume they are doing something right so perhaps not clueless.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa
Kilman-Neves-Toti
Jonny-Moutinho-Traore-RAN
Neto-Podence-Guedes

As we are now in 17th, it must be close to "grinding out points the only way we know how" time? All the players struggling, Neto, RaN, Guedes etc. you got to keep playing them till they aren't. Nunes? Too risky, gets a bit too far forward, leaves the defence exposed. On the bench for him.
Is this post sarcasm?
You know our problem has been scoring goals right now?
We could do all that, but do we want to have another potential goal threat removed by sticking him in literally the deepest position imaginable? Are we trying to break the record for lowest goals scored?
The problem is us scoring goals, not our defence not getting enough protection. It gets absolutely tonnes.
I'd like to see one of our midfielders providing an overlap for the wingers in the same way de bruyne did for two of the goals. If you can't cover the ground to do that anymore then you shouldn't be in the team.

superwolves

Reaction score
The difference is that we may not understand why those managers make those decisions, but looking at the results, you'd have to assume they are doing something right so perhaps not clueless.
Just trying to give an opinion as to why he feels the need to play Neto on the right. Now if Sasa was in the middle that's different

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It seemed to me after Collins went off and Neves went CB, we were playing 2 in midfield (with the forwards dropping back when required) and Nunes was more influential. Think if we went 4-2-3-1 it would suit him better.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Sa
Toti Kilman Mosquera
Semedo Ait nouri
Neves
Nunes. B Traore. Neto
Costa

Moutinho has had his day now, great player but I feel he’s holding us back, too slow, no desire to get in the box to add a threat, Nunes looked like he was getting up to speed against city, Traore at least passed forward well which help us have attacks before the opposition have had time to walk back into position, Costa should be fitter by then, 60 mins of hanging about their centre backs should be his max.
Yep, looks a young back 3 but there’s no better way of finding out if they’re good enough than trying them out.
Despite a decent transfer window, 2 injuries and a red card later and it’s exposing how brittle our squad is. 10 games till the window opens, 5 or 6 of which are winnable, for him to survive he has to beat forest, if not he has to go unless he’s performed a miracle and beaten both West Ham and Chelsea.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly as strategies go i don't see how the current one could be any worse.
And is your point that because it works for Mahrez or Salah it must work for every other winger? Even one who seemingly so far this year hasn't got the ability to get on the inside and get a shot away. And maybe considering how unsuccessful it has been from the word go, the idea of podence in the centre should be ditched entirely. Play him on the wing cutting in, where he was succesful for Olympiakos or not at all.
And guedes's most successful season goalscoring wise came with him playing in the centre. But we wouldn't want him to repeat that, we don't want goals.
Then consider the opposition. Cancelo is a right back playing on the left. Stones is a centre back playing at right back. Naturally both are going to play quite narrow. The spaces that open up are going to be on the outside.
We seem to be dogmatically trying to play one way, and it is a way that isn't getting the best out of any of our players. It really is insanity, and I don't see how it is going to get better

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
LINEUP111663530718046.png
Semedo in for Jonny and RAN all day as they are better going forward and threat is what is needed currently. Mosquera in for Collins as he is our back-up RCB. Boubacar over Moutinho- obviously. Neto on the left. Costa up front- the comments about needing 2 to 3 weeks were made on the day he signed (Thursday 8th) not the day it was announced and he will have had his 3 weeks.

Traore and Podence off the bench bang on 60 minutes for Neto and Guedes if they do nothing in the first hour.

superwolves

Reaction score
Honestly as strategies go i don't see how the current one could be any worse.
And is your point that because it works for Mahrez or Salah it must work for every other winger? Even one who seemingly so far this year hasn't got the ability to get on the inside and get a shot away. And maybe considering how unsuccessful it has been from the word go, the idea of podence in the centre should be ditched entirely. Play him on the wing cutting in, where he was succesful for Olympiakos or not at all.
And guedes's most successful season goalscoring wise came with him playing in the centre. But we wouldn't want him to repeat that, we don't want goals.
Then consider the opposition. Cancelo is a right back playing on the left. Stones is a centre back playing at right back. Naturally both are going to play quite narrow. The spaces that open up are going to be on the outside.
We seem to be dogmatically trying to play one way, and it is a way that isn't getting the best out of any of our players. It really is insanity, and I don't see how it is going to get better
Makes you wonder why all these managers are getting millions of pounds a year while we are struggling to pay the gas bill

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks it would be a good idea to play Neves in a back 4 needs to go for a lie down. If they wake up and still think it's a good idea they should ask the nurse for something a bit stronger.

Yes, he goes there in games, but only when we have the ball.

Yes, he did OK against Man City, but they we 2-0 (then 3-0) up and cruising and he still had a few scary moments.

He's not just a great passer, he's actually the most important protection for the defence.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 30318
Semedo in for Jonny and RAN all day as they are better going forward and threat is what is needed currently. Mosquera in for Collins as he is our back-up RCB. Boubacar over Moutinho- obviously. Neto on the left. Costa up front- the comments about needing 2 to 3 weeks were made on the day he signed (Thursday 8th) not the day it was announced and he will have had his 3 weeks.

Traore and Podence off the bench bang on 60 minutes for Neto and Guedes if they do nothing in the first hour.
Really like the look of that team and formation. Neves to protect the back 4 and B Traore and Nunes to get forward. Costa (even for 60 minutes) will add presence and power in the box.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this post sarcasm?
You know our problem has been scoring goals right now?
We could do all that, but do we want to have another potential goal threat removed by sticking him in literally the deepest position imaginable? Are we trying to break the record for lowest goals scored?
The problem is us scoring goals, not our defence not getting enough protection. It gets absolutely tonnes.
I'd like to see one of our midfielders providing an overlap for the wingers in the same way de bruyne did for two of the goals. If you can't cover the ground to do that anymore then you shouldn't be in the team.

I know our problem is scoring goals. And has been for 2 seasons. It's Mr Bruno Lage you need to tell it to. He's the one playing our forwards out wide and constantly putting players in positions where they are ineffective. I was predicting his team. The best way is to think of the worst possible line up and he usually gets close to that.

He's had 50 matches now. What we've seen is all we will ever get. Overlapping midfielders? That would require movement and we don't seem allowed to do that.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Toti Neves Kilman
Semedo B. Traore Nunes Ait-Nouri
Podence
Neto Costa

Madmalc

Reaction score
Last post was what I expected from Lage, this post is what I'd like to see: -
Sarkic
Bueno, Toti, Kilman, Lembikisa
Ronan, Boubacar, Neves, Nunes
Campbell, Fraser.

True I'd prefer Sanderson to Toti, just because he's right footed, and I doubt he'll return as Lage has done his best to **** him off, despite him winning accolades at his loan clubs. Then again I'd prefer Giles who is once again going for the assist record at yet another loan club. That's another one being told to go forth and multiply. Then there's Theo Corbeanu, who might just shade out Campbell.

Instead we'll get the favoured few, who care not and perform abysmally.
Most of those dropped would have to fight for the places, some of them wouldn't even make the bench for weeks or months.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be a defining game for the futures of two managers, Moyes and Bruno. Bruno will get more time if we bang a couple in. Moyes, I think, needs the win more than Bruno given they are now in the bottom 3.

I like the suggestion someone had of Hwang and Guedes up front in a 442. Bring Costa on later.

Sa
Semedo. Kilman Toti RAN
Traore B Neves Nunes Neto
Guedes Hwang

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
This is a "not lose" game for Bruno. If we can't win, then we must not lose it. Bruno knows he's under pressure. A loss would be untenable. Under the circumstances a logical coach would have a strong spine with Neves playing deep almost as a 3rd center back.
We should keep it tight and hit them on the break. If we can't win then don't lose. A point is better than nothing.
But I have no faith in Bruno anymore. He will probably go all out attack, they score an iffy goal through Sas hands at the near post and then we go on the offensive keeping the ball well but not making their keeper work. 1 nill Hampers.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo, Kilman, Toti, RAN
Neves, Nunes
Adama, Podence, Guedes
Hwang

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last post was what I expected from Lage, this post is what I'd like to see: -
Sarkic
Bueno, Toti, Kilman, Lembikisa
Ronan, Boubacar, Neves, Nunes
Campbell, Fraser.

True I'd prefer Sanderson to Toti, just because he's right footed, and I doubt he'll return as Lage has done his best to **** him off, despite him winning accolades at his loan clubs. Then again I'd prefer Giles who is once again going for the assist record at yet another loan club. That's another one being told to go forth and multiply. Then there's Theo Corbeanu, who might just shade out Campbell.

Instead we'll get the favoured few, who care not and perform abysmally.
Most of those dropped would have to fight for the places, some of them wouldn't even make the bench for weeks or months.
Lol. Joking?

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
The only way we will start scoring goals imo is to have an extra proper attacking player. Has to be 442 or 4231.
We all rave about the quality of Neves and Nunes , they ought to be able to hold the midfield in a two.
I agree with this. Would much prefer us trying Neves and Nunes as a 2 with a 10 type in front with Neto mainly on left and Pod and Guedes as 10 and right (swapping if need be). Given lack of other optiins i'd even consider giving Hwang a go.

Sa
Semedo, Kilman, Toti, Jonny
Neves, Nunes
Guedes,, Pod, Neto
Hwang

Not filled with confidence

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned. 2-0 and down to 10 men against possibly the best team in the world, we’re obviously not going to get anything from the game, so had nothing to lose. Wasn’t that a perfect opportunity to give Toti (or Mosquera) a bit of time alongside Kilman to prepare for the next 3 games?

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned. 2-0 and down to 10 men against possibly the best team in the world, we’re obviously not going to get anything from the game, so had nothing to lose. Wasn’t that a perfect opportunity to give Toti (or Mosquera) a bit of time alongside Kilman to prepare for the next 3 games?
You need to stop talking sense SW!!!

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I would imagine playing inverted wingers is fine if they arent hugging the byline and trying to cross balls in to a 5ft false 9 instead of getting in closer and moving the ball around at feet.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
.....................................Sa
Semedo.......Kilman.....Toti......RAN/Jonny
....................Neves.............Nunes
......Neto..........Guedes.........Podence
............... ........ Raul (Hwang if Raul not fit)

I don't rate Hwang but we're scraping the bottom of the barrel....Costa at 75 minutes.
Don't mind which of Jonny and RAN, neither seem to be able to play 90.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine playing inverted wingers is fine if they arent hugging the byline and trying to cross balls in to a 5ft false 9 instead of getting in closer and moving the ball around at feet.
Absolutely, also when the ball is on one side the other sided wide player should surely be getting in the box. Often our players seem to show no desire to actually get into goal scoring positions.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho should not start and neither should Neto

Back
Top Bottom