Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team v WHU

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned. 2-0 and down to 10 men against possibly the best team in the world, we’re obviously not going to get anything from the game, so had nothing to lose. Wasn’t that a perfect opportunity to give Toti (or Mosquera) a bit of time alongside Kilman to prepare for the next 3 games?
Would have been a double figure slaughtering if Mosquera came on to replace Collins. Surprised Bruno even considered it

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa
Semado Killman Gomes Otto
Neves B.Traore
Nunes Podence Neto
Guedes

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I doubt you’ve ever seen mosquera play
Oh I have mate. He may have improved immensy since but in my mind at the time was that he was an over-aggressive ticking time bomb and he did not stand out in an under 21 team apart from that.
And throwing a novice against Man City under the circumstances? Even a Van Dyke on his debut would have struggled.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have been a double figure slaughtering if Mosquera came on to replace Collins. Surprised Bruno even considered it
If anybody should have come on it should have been Toti Gomes. At least he has had prior experience of the pace and intensity of the PL and Kilman is comfortable on the right.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Costa isn’t fit enough to start we have to try something different and get 2 up front. Whether they be 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 we must give it a go. Continuing with this approach with these players is madness and clearly isn’t going to get us goals

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with either the two up top or something different hence why play boubacar from the start with nunes, both want to get forward with the ball, play guedes in the front 2, potentially him and neto, with podence behind to link play.

Diego to come on last 20

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really wouldnt be surprised the loser of this game if there is one is sacked next.

We both need this game to kick start the season, unfortunately they are at home

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really wouldnt be surprised the loser of this game if there is one is sacked next.

I think Moyes has more credit in the bank than Bruno. Well, Bruno has none, so that isn't saying much! Giving more time to a manager whose just delivered 6th and 7th finishes makes far more sense. Also, there was an interview with Moyes linked from here and at least he was taking responsibility, not making excuses about needing more time. Moyes mentioned their terrible form since earlier this year and so on. Unlike Bruno, who never says anything that indicates he understands the situation, just excuse after excuse - injuries, needs new players, too many new players, not the right kind of new player etc etc. And if those run out, name check a few individuals to blame.

Having watched West Ham a couple of times, they outplayed Forest and were ridiculously unlucky, hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times and missed a penalty. Saw only the first half v Everton, and they were easily the better team, though I understand Everton turned it around (Incidentally, Everton missing Calvert-Lewin, their main striker. Other clubs have key injuries ,too. It's how you adapt and cope that counts. Or just give up and prepare the excuses, exactly how we've looked for months).

On XG and Xpoints, much is made that we should be higher up the table, if we took our chances. Well, West Ham have higher XG and higher expected points than us.

Just seems that out of us and West Ham, they are the more likely to "click" given a bit more time, and start improving results. Moyes has his faults, but in a relegation struggle, you'd have to back him ahead of Bruno. It's a crucial match, one we have to win. Unfortunately, based on how he handles previous breaks, I have no confidence that Bruno will spend the time doing anything that could give us the edge.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Moyes has more credit in the bank than Bruno. Well, Bruno has none, so that isn't saying much! Giving more time to a manager whose just delivered 6th and 7th finishes makes far more sense. Also, there was an interview with Moyes linked from here and at least he was taking responsibility, not making excuses about needing more time. Moyes mentioned their terrible form since earlier this year and so on. Unlike Bruno, who never says anything that indicates he understands the situation, just excuse after excuse - injuries, needs new players, too many new players, not the right kind of new player etc etc. And if those run out, name check a few individuals to blame.

Having watched West Ham a couple of times, they outplayed Forest and were ridiculously unlucky, hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times and missed a penalty. Saw only the first half v Everton, and they were easily the better team, though I understand Everton turned it around (Incidentally, Everton missing Calvert-Lewin, their main striker. Other clubs have key injuries ,too. It's how you adapt and cope that counts. Or just give up and prepare the excuses, exactly how we've looked for months).

On XG and Xpoints, much is made that we should be higher up the table, if we took our chances. Well, West Ham have higher XG and higher expected points than us.

Just seems that out of us and West Ham, they are the more likely to "click" given a bit more time, and start improving results. Moyes has his faults, but in a relegation struggle, you'd have to back him ahead of Bruno. It's a crucial match, one we have to win. Unfortunately, based on how he handles previous breaks, I have no confidence that Bruno will spend the time doing anything that could give us the edge.
I linked that article, so completely agree.

I also agree id rather have moyes trying to turn it around in a relegation battle than lage.

Moyes is also getting results out of them in the conference league,

he has his new striker in scamacca bed, and likely this lad will terrorise us first game back after the break (typical)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I linked that article, so completely agree.

I also agree id rather have moyes trying to turn it around in a relegation battle than lage.

Moyes is also getting results out of them in the conference league,

he has his new striker in scamacca bed, and likely this lad will terrorise us first game back after the break (typical)

Apologies for keep harking back to him, but it's the kind of match where if we had Nuno, or any manager worth their salt, you know he'd be on the case now, 24/7. That the team would give it 120%, we would be prepared and would probably get a result - and even if not, you would not fault the effort or application.

But with Bruno, opposition on bad runs must be delighted to play us. In football, anything can happen, but the signs are that it's more likely going to be the match where we help kick start West Ham's season, not the other way around. The way our team selections pan out, it's the same formation, playing the same way, the only surprise being: "who will be mysteriously absent this week?". Seems to be a pattern there and not a good one.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies for keep harking back to him, but it's the kind of match where if we had Nuno, or any manager worth their salt, you know he'd be on the case now, 24/7. That the team would give it 120%, we would be prepared and would probably get a result - and even if not, you would not fault the effort or application.

But with Bruno, opposition on bad runs must be delighted to play us. In football, anything can happen, but the signs are that it's more likely going to be the match where we help kick start West Ham's season, not the other way around. The way our team selections pan out, it's the same formation, playing the same way, the only surprise being: "who will be mysteriously absent this week?". Seems to be a pattern there and not a good one.
No i agree, youd expect nuno day in day out, would find a "solution" to try and get points or a win.

We will play 4-3-3, it will be the same midfield.

Id much rather see 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-1-2-2 1

Whatever is in versions of triangle to get a striker and to get someone like nunes, etc podence, b traore passing the ball forward to unsettle WHU

they are in the same boat of worry and concern, need to go hell for leather full 90. even if that means we get a win and are a poorer side against chelsea.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No i agree, youd expect nuno day in day out, would find a "solution" to try and get points or a win.

We will play 4-3-3, it will be the same midfield.

Id much rather see 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-1-2-2 1

Whatever is in versions of triangle to get a striker and to get someone like nunes, etc podence, b traore passing the ball forward to unsettle WHU

they are in the same boat of worry and concern, need to go hell for leather full 90. even if that means we get a win and are a poorer side against chelsea.

Yes, though it's at a point where we've been saying we "need to change something" and we "need to give it a go" for months now. And nothing changes. We never have a real go. It never happens. Bournemouth match a classic example. Despair has set in and I reckon the players feel it too.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some changes required for this one, mainly because Collins is suspended for 3 games.

But Neto and Guedes are not playing well, Moutinho looks tired, Ait Nouri looks dire for half a game, but a world-beater for the other and we are in serious need of a focal point.

I'd bring Toti in for Collins and move Kilman over to the right.
Rest Ait-Nouri and use our two more experienced fullbacks alongside Toti.
Maybe try the combination of B. Traore, Neves and Nunes in a 3, with Nunes the most advanced?
Then if Costa is even 50% match-fit, he has to start.
I'd try Podence and Hwang off him to start, as they tend to link up with a target man the best.
If Costa can't start and Raul isn't back, Hwang down the middle and Neto comes in.

Sa

Semedo---Kilman---Toti---Jonny

Neves---B.Traore
Nunes

Podence-------Hwang
Costa

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, though it's at a point where we've been saying we "need to change something" and we "need to give it a go" for months now. And nothing changes. We never have a real go. It never happens. Bournemouth match a classic example. Despair has set in and I reckon the players feel it too.
I've said it before on here but watching Leicester and their players giving half-hearted performances, you have to think we are playing in the same way. I really don't think the players are giving their all for Lage which is worrying. That expression 'they left it all out there on the pitch' certainly does not apply to us. These lack-lustre displays have gone on for too long now and we've seen no real improvement from the last half of last season to the beginning of this. If the players aren't playing for the manager then the writing is on the wall.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, if they are at home I guess Bruno's "hands are tied".

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
i don`t know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but is Neves ok to play? . i thought he had 5 bookings

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some changes required for this one, mainly because Collins is suspended for 3 games.

But Neto and Guedes are not playing well, Moutinho looks tired, Ait Nouri looks dire for half a game, but a world-beater for the other and we are in serious need of a focal point.

I'd bring Toti in for Collins and move Kilman over to the right.
Rest Ait-Nouri and use our two more experienced fullbacks alongside Toti.
Maybe try the combination of B. Traore, Neves and Nunes in a 3, with Nunes the most advanced?
Then if Costa is even 50% match-fit, he has to start.
I'd try Podence and Hwang off him to start, as they tend to link up with a target man the best.
If Costa can't start and Raul isn't back, Hwang down the middle and Neto comes in.

Sa

Semedo---Kilman---Toti---Jonny

Neves---B.Traore
Nunes

Podence-------Hwang
Costa

If we stick with 433 I hope those are our midfielders. I imagine they be best set up:

Neves
Nunes————Traore

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Are you sure he misses next two if booked?
I thought it was just one for 5 bookings, another two if you get to ten.
Was assuming it was two. So he’ll just miss Chelsea if that’s the case

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we stick with 433 I hope those are our midfielders. I imagine they be best set up:

Neves
Nunes————Traore

Yeah, you'd think. But that's how we've been setting up all season and I'm sick of seeing everything we've done this season already!!

Maybe two DMs, a tall, rangy, combative one in B. Traore and a deep lying playmaker in Neves, with Nunes in front of them, would allow Nunes far more freedom to just get on the ball and do his thing, which would be to carry the ball and get us further up the field, quicker.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score

Screenshot_20220920-144227_Chrome.jpg
A result like this one under Nuno? I recall the team giving about 20% effort rather than 120%

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if this the game he flirts with a back 5 again in the absence of Collins to protect whoever is coming into the back line? If so…

Sa

Semedo
Ran
Mosquera
Kilman
Toti Gomes

Neves
B. Traore
Nunes

Costa
Podence

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if this the game he flirts with a back 5 again in the absence of Collins to protect whoever is coming into the back line? If so…

Sa

Semedo
Ran
Mosquera
Kilman
Toti Gomes

Neves
B. Traore
Nunes

Costa
Podence
cant imagine costa will be fit for the start, more off the bench, may see this but guedes or neto in a two up top

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 30365
A result like this one under Nuno? I recall the team giving about 20% effort rather than 120%

Not necessarily. Was thinking more of the 1-0 and 3-0 wins back in the first Premier League season. Or the 2-0 and 1-0 wins over them in the next season. Or the numerous times when we needed a result and we got one. That match you list is one of the few genuine stinkers under Nuno, yes we did have them. And after that match? Oh yes, 1-0 wins against Fulham and Leeds. Grim, but we got the results. Or perhaps the 3-2 and 2-0 wins over "unbeatable champions" Man City, rather than our insipid performance against them on Saturday.

Was that result part of a sequence of 1 win in 14 games? Did Nuno make lame excuses about it? No, he got on with the job and turned it round for the next match.

Under Bruno, it's the other way round. Stinker after uninspired stinker, with the rare exception usually due to opponents gifting us open goals, or missing open goals or penalties. And a list of excuses because he has no clue about game management.

Anyway, the past is the past. It's this present right now and I have no confidence in Bruno being able to raise the morale and come up with a masterplan and get a result in what will be a difficult game at West Ham. When has he ever made a constructive, game changing change during a game? Come to think of it, when has he ever made a constructive change *before* a game?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last post was what I expected from Lage, this post is what I'd like to see: -
Sarkic
Bueno, Toti, Kilman, Lembikisa
Ronan, Boubacar, Neves, Nunes
Campbell, Fraser.

True I'd prefer Sanderson to Toti, just because he's right footed, and I doubt he'll return as Lage has done his best to **** him off, despite him winning accolades at his loan clubs. Then again I'd prefer Giles who is once again going for the assist record at yet another loan club. That's another one being told to go forth and multiply. Then there's Theo Corbeanu, who might just shade out Campbell.

Instead we'll get the favoured few, who care not and perform abysmally.
Most of those dropped would have to fight for the places, some of them wouldn't even make the bench for weeks or months.
I’m really hoping that line up is tongue in cheek. The only way that starts is if Lage has a cunning plan to get the sack asap

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Was thinking more of the 1-0 and 3-0 wins back in the first Premier League season. Or the 2-0 and 1-0 wins over them in the next season. Or the numerous times when we needed a result and we got one. That match you list is one of the few genuine stinkers under Nuno, yes we did have them. And after that match? Oh yes, 1-0 wins against Fulham and Leeds. Grim, but we got the results. Or perhaps the 3-2 and 2-0 wins over "unbeatable champions" Man City, rather than our insipid performance against them on Saturday.

Was that result part of a sequence of 1 win in 14 games? Did Nuno make lame excuses about it? No, he got on with the job and turned it round for the next match.

Under Bruno, it's the other way round. Stinker after uninspired stinker, with the rare exception usually due to opponents gifting us open goals, or missing open goals or penalties. And a list of excuses because he has no clue about game management.

Anyway, the past is the past. It's this present right now and I have no confidence in Bruno being able to raise the morale and come up with a masterplan and get a result in what will be a difficult game at West Ham. When has he ever made a constructive, game changing change during a game? Come to think of it, when has he ever made a constructive change *before* a game?
I don't disagree with you about Bruno. But we had similar experiences under Nuno and much worse performances. Not as many admittedly but it happened. I'd also go as far to say that our team has failed to get the results when they mattered most under Bruno and Nuno.

And for what it's worth I loved Nuno and wasn't one who wanted him out

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you about Bruno. But we had similar experiences under Nuno and much worse performances. Not as many admittedly but it happened. I'd also go as far to say that our team has failed to get the results when they mattered most under Bruno and Nuno.

And for what it's worth I loved Nuno and wasn't one who wanted him out

Good point, you are right. I do wonder if our problems aren't deeper than the manager. We only have few of those players from Nuno's time around now, yet still many of those old problems remain.

W

WasStefan

Sa
Jonny Toti Kilman RAN
Neves Traore Nunes
Guedes Costa Podence

Moutinho and Neto horribly out of form
Toti will need defensive support so Semedo is a no no

All 3 should come on at some point

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Jonny Toti Kilman RAN
Neves Traore Nunes
Guedes Costa Podence

Moutinho and Neto horribly out of form
Toti will need defensive support so Semedo is a no no

All 3 should come on at some point
Semedo is our best full back. Has to start. Otherwise agree

Yeshua

Reaction score
I know it's a way off but it's where my thoughts lie now. I think 4231 could work -
Sa
Semedo Neves Kilman RAN
Traore Nunes
Neto Podence Guedes
Costa

If Lage is still here he needs to make some big decisions. Moutinho is just too slow now and and Traore looked pretty good in his cameo today. I'd definitely stick Neves beside Kilman whilst Collins is out. And if Costa is only 75% fit I'd still stick him in and tell him to play like Haarland - prowl around the box and take your chances when they come. This game becomes really massive now. Lose with Chelsea up then we really are potentially in trouble. Win, and with the quality in the side you can see a chance that we will move up the table.
sa
kilman neves toti
semedo nunes moutiniho ran
podence
guedes costa

back to 3-4-3

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
sa
kilman neves toti
semedo nunes moutiniho ran
podence
guedes costa

back to 3-4-3
I would also go back 3 at the back - at least to start with.
Would start Traore instead of Mout though

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
West Ham may be a defining moment for Lage.
It's a must win. He'll definitely be gone if we get a hammering.

Back
Top Bottom