Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team for Villa

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? So they have bigger gaps to find?
Agreed. If we take it to Villa, we are playing straight into their hands.. it’ll be Brighton Mk.2.

Frustrate them.. they’re the team who think they’re chasing Europe, so let them slowly come onto us and then catch them on the break.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder what their approach will be. Certainly targeted Brighton lack of physicality in midfield on Saturday and hit them with lightning transitions. Lemina and Gomes are no pushovers though, Traore is also a unit. I think their focus will be to exploit our lack of pace at the back, hence it's probably more sensible to play 5 there and include Toti, who's got a bit of pace. Same team then?

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Against Villa,I would be flabbergasted if we don´t continue with five at the back.
It is the formation that suits us the very best(still) and against Villa it should be a no brainer.
It does not guarantee permanent success of course,it didn´t under Nuno either.
It does guarantuee though,more points on the board at the end of season compared to going back to four at the back.

We are still a squad that is much better suited for five at the back in the vast majority of Prem matches.
Toti is working in this system,and both Kilman and Daws is better in it as well.
Both Semedo and RAN is better suited for it also,and we do have decent backup in Doc and Hugo.

We will also gain in playing in a settled system.
We will not win every match,far from it..but we will undoubtebly survive with it.
This season,that´s what it´s all about.

We even look far more sharp attacking in the five at the back system.
I see no understandable reason to go back to a four when it not suits us at all.

Sa
Semedo.-Daws-Kilman-Toti-RAN
Gomes-Lemina
Neto-Cunha-Hwang

After the City match..the team picks itself.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Different prospect to play against but I’d go with the back 5 but slightly higher up the pitch than against City. Probably the same starting 11 too.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watkins is a totally different striker to Haaland.
Watkins will work the channels. He won't stay central for Dawson to marshal him.

They will then overload us out wide, drag Kilman and Toti out there and have runners arriving in the box.

So not sure this is just same again lads time.

Personally I'd be looking to win the midfield battle with 433 and I'd drop Dawson for this and let Toti and Kilman pass on Watkins to each other. And hope they can handle his pace on the shoulder.

I think if we go same again they'll do us. (probably will anyway).

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m no advocate for 5 at the back long term at all but I think I’d keep it against villa but only on the basis we still have three up top and be “brave”. Villa have undoubted quality but the high line they play and the speed of our forwards means there are gaps to be exploited

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watkins is a totally different striker to Haaland.
Watkins will work the channels. He won't stay central for Dawson to marshal him.

They will then overload us out wide, drag Kilman and Toti out there and have runners arriving in the box.

So not sure this is just same again lads time.

Personally I'd be looking to win the midfield battle with 433 and I'd drop Dawson for this and let Toti and Kilman pass on Watkins to each other. And hope they can handle his pace on the shoulder.

I think if we go same again they'll do us. (probably will anyway).
Drop Dawson? Fair enough, get your logic, but if this happens I'll run naked down the Waterloo road!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're nowhere near as good away as at Villa Park, they'll have played on the Thursday and travelled back from Europe, I'd set up a bit more expansive and possession based on Sunday.
Equally happy if we sit back and hit them on the break!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're nowhere near as good away as at Villa Park, they'll have played on the Thursday and travelled back from Europe, I'd set up a bit more expansive and possession based on Sunday.
They play at home on Thursday.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they are at home thursday but still we can hope the Bosnians give them rough treatment

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same 11 should start against stronger sides (Christ, is that what Villa are now?)

And then open it up more when we oppose teams who are inviting us to attack. That was where we suffered under Nuno. An alternative way of approaching games.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
My memory is that at Villa park we totally bossed the first half last season because we played a 4231 against their 442 and controlled the midfield. Emery changed their formation at half time and they were the better side second half. Not sure if that helps!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting fixture

We are better sitting deep and using pace to counter
Villa are all about transition and counter attack also with pace

Could be a stand off
This is the thing - we basically stood off Man City altogether until they were 30 yards from goal. If Villa do the same thing as us - which they mostly did against us last season - it could be a dreadful game.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the thing - we basically stood off Man City altogether until they were 30 yards from goal. If Villa do the same thing as us - which they mostly did against us last season - it could be a dreadful game.
Theoretically It would probably come down to who is better at taking their chances. Bugger. But football doesn't work like that does it

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting fixture

We are better sitting deep and using pace to counter
Villa are all about transition and counter attack also with pace

Could be a stand off

But fear if we go press press press , they’ll play through us and Diaby Watkins have a field day

I’d be fine with same team and frustrate Villa a but. A point would be decent and if we can draw them on we can counter. Think what Brighton did to us, basically stood on the ball until we pressed so they can then pass through the press and create an imbalance.

A but if that with passion and I am happy

Our home fixtures have been really tough so far,
Not convinced they have the quality further back to play through us. The throughball over the top to Watkins might be a problem, but he is not that quick.
Don't overcommit going forward and we'll be fine.

Sa
Semedo Dawson Kilman Toti
Lemina Gomes
Hwang Traore Neto
Cunha

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
My memory is that at Villa park we totally bossed the first half last season because we played a 4231 against their 442 and controlled the midfield. Emery changed their formation at half time and they were the better side second half. Not sure if that helps!
They have purchased more attacking players since

Should be entertaining, hopefully more for us

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Start as we did against pool and change it at half time. Hopefully catch them cold and bag a couple in the first half.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo Dawson Toti RAN
Gomes Lemina
Neto Cunha Hwang
Sasa​

I’d stick with the same team.
Though if going to a back 4 I’d still want the same front 3, they seem to be developing an understanding. So if a back 4 I think it should be 433 with Traore coming in.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
He's had nowhere near enough love this season for my money. Solid defensively, runs with the ball so well. Just need to work out how to get 90 minutes out of him.
What has been a really good development this year is his back post defending which has been a weakness in prior seasons. He's always been pretty good 1-v-1 and, of course, his ability to move the ball forward...

Agreed that he needs to continue to work on his fitness and I would add, his final ball when he gets forward.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No brainer, same starting XI as City. Only a fool would change things.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's had nowhere near enough love this season for my money. Solid defensively, runs with the ball so well. Just need to work out how to get 90 minutes out of him.
Your last point I have no idea at all. Some people are just built differently and have natural stamina/engines, possibly? It can’t be that he needs minutes/games/hard training as he seems to have had all that - his body just seems to let him down. Is it mental as well? **** knows.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's 10 players that almost pick themselves at the moment - Sa, Dawson, Kilman, Ait Nouri, Semedo, Gomes, Lemina, Hwang, Cunha and Neto.

Then the 11th player decides the shape.

Toti or S.Bueno for a third centre back in a 343
Bellegarde, Traore or Doyle as a third midfielder in a 433
Sarabia as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1
Silva or Sasa as the 9 in a 4411

Toti deserves to keep his starting place, so unchanged for me.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's 10 players that almost pick themselves at the moment - Sa, Dawson, Kilman, Ait Nouri, Semedo, Gomes, Lemina, Hwang, Cunha and Neto.

Then the 11th player decides the shape.

Toti or S.Bueno for a third centre back in a 343
Bellegarde, Traore or Doyle as a third midfielder in a 433
Sarabia as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1
Silva or Sasa as the 9 in a 4411

Toti deserves to keep his starting place, so unchanged for me.
It is a lot easier to say 10 of the team picks itself after beating Man City than it is after drawing away to Luton, or conceding 4 goals against Brighton.
I think Cunha in particular was very lucky to keep his place after Luton. He's done very well in yhe big games so far but for me he has got to show he's up for it against all the teams in this division.
Our whole back 4 could gave been dropped after Brighton.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if There's an issue with Cunha. Didn't see him in the training video

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah vastly improved and going under the radar really. I wonder how much of it is down to him maturing or GON influence on him as Nuno, Lage and JL all failed to get a regular tune out of him. The latter seemed to not rate him at all.

Re the 90 mins bit. I’d like to see his running stats as I think (with only my eyes ti back it up) they’re pretty high. He seems to get through a lot of attacking and defensive work. Personally I don’t think it’s a massive issue with 5 subs. I’d rather he put in 100% over 70 mins and be replaced by a very capable Bueno than conserve a bit of energy so he plays 90. In general the extra 2 subs helps us, we are having to outrun teams (the stats definitely back this up) with the pressing we do so it lets the likes of RAN, Gomes, Hwang etc play a 70 min game at 100% knowing the replacements can do the same without the level dropping too much

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yeah vastly improved and going under the radar really. I wonder how much of it is down to him maturing or GON influence on him as Nuno, Lage and JL all failed to get a regular tune out of him. The latter seemed to not rate him at all.

Re the 90 mins bit. I’d like to see his running stats as I think (with only my eyes ti back it up) they’re pretty high. He seems to get through a lot of attacking and defensive work. Personally I don’t think it’s a massive issue with 5 subs. I’d rather he put in 100% over 70 mins and be replaced by a very capable Bueno than conserve a bit of energy so he plays 90. In general the extra 2 subs helps us, we are having to outrun teams (the stats definitely back this up) with the pressing we do so it lets the likes of RAN, Gomes, Hwang etc play a 70 min game at 100% knowing the replacements can do the same without the level dropping too much
Yes, I mean it might be wrong, but it seems ironic that my feeling was that Lopetegui never really trusted him to know when to bomb on and when to sit in, but Mr 'no loose play' seems happy with him. Definitely one of the bright spots for me this season though.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I mean it might be wrong, but it seems ironic that my feeling was that Lopetegui never really trusted him to know when to bomb on and when to sit in, but Mr 'no loose play' seems happy with him. Definitely one of the bright spots for me this season though.
I’m no JL apologist but there were rumours at the time that he wasn’t training properly and was homesick. Maybe JL was a bit too much “school teacher” esque with him and GON has put his arm round his shoulder and pointed him in the right direction.

Whatever GON’s gaps are tactically he seems to have motivated all of them, they seem a happier and more cohesive group currently.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it was maybe because of how Lopetegui set the team up. Nunes was used on the right as our most attacking outlet in a kind of 442 hybrid (almost 4222). Or Adama was used there too when he came on later in games.

We were lop-sided in a way (pardon the pun), so Toti was used primarily at left-back just to make us more solid.

In a 343 or a 433, there's more bodies to cover from defence or midfield, so Ait Nouri has more freedom, which clearly does him the world of good.

Lopetegui also had quite a formulaic way of using his subs. He liked to change a couple of forwards when their intensity dropped off, a couple of central midfielders when they tired or based on style, and he liked to throw Collins on late to help see out games. If you have a left back who struggles to do a full 90, it can impact those changes, so might be another reason Lopetegui just preferred others.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
During last weekend’s win against reigning Premier League and European champions Manchester City, O’Neil felt his players were able to carry out his instructions to near perfection, but with Aston Villa arriving to Molineux for a West Midlands derby on Sunday, the head coach insists his squad have been working hard on a new system which he hopes will earn the side consecutive top flight wins for the first time in his Wolves career.

New system??

Are we remaining working on 5 at the back or something else?

Interesting nugget:

“A couple of teams we’ve played this season have switched it up when they’ve played us, or it hasn’t been as accurate, but that’s why working for the group for longer is important because I need to improve their understanding so they’re not so reliant on it being exactly how I’ve told them it would be, but having an understanding of how to adapt and adjust.

“It's something the group are not used to having spoken to them. They were used to more generic game plans and having to think on their feet, but they’re getting used to a new style. I’m not saying this style is any better than the old one, it’s just a new style.

“Aston Villa use a similar structure every game, although the personnel may change it slightly, but we should have a fair idea of what it needs to look like and the players seem to have understood it well this week, they’re taking it on board well and hopefully we can get it right at the weekend and another three points before the international break will be big for us.”

Back
Top Bottom