Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team for Friday...

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
------------------Rui-----------------
-----Bennett---Coady---Boly----
Vinagre------------------------Doc
------------MGW---Neves--------
Cavaleiro---------------------Jota
------------------Raul---------------

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio

Dendoncker Coady Boly

Doherty (RWB) Vinagre (LWB)

Neves Moutinho

Costa Traore Jota
This. Raul is awful in front of goal. The times yesterday when he had a clear chance on goal and he had no idea what to do. And he's totally ineffective out wide. The one area we've been poor on recruitment is the leading forward. Needs to improve massively

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where’s this Bennett bashing come from? He’s been solid all season. He was better than Boly yesterday if we’re picking on players?

As for the idea of not playing Jimenez, if we played a front three of Jota/Costa/Cav/Traore (take your pick) I’m not sure we’d have a touch inside the box or have a shot. Need a focal point.

M

merseawolf

Where’s this Bennett bashing come from? He’s been solid all season. He was better than Boly yesterday if we’re picking on players?

As for the idea of not playing Jimenez, if we played a front three of Jota/Costa/Cav/Traore (take your pick) I’m not sure we’d have a touch inside the box or have a shot. Need a focal point.
Bennett has been solid no doubt about it but would Dendoncker bring us a bit more? Who knows yet. Would he be able to move the ball forward better than Bennett? Only one way to find out.

D

Deleted member 3751

Patricio

Dendoncker Coady Boly

Doherty Moutinho Neves Vinagre

Traore Jimenez Jota
Is where I'm going for this one

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patrício

Donk
Coady
Boly

MGW
Saiss
Neves
Vinagre

Cav
Traore
Raul

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because people realise he is a weak link in the way we play. Watch the back 3 carefully. Both coady and boly step up and distribute.

Watch how many times Bennett decides to go back to coady or boly and give them responsibility instead.

It slows play down and makes us less dynamic

And we have a Belgium intl on bench .

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
If I remember right last year when we went to Cardiff Nuno threw a big surprise and dropped Costa and Cav to the bench, Afobe and Bonatini started out wide? Wonder if he'll do something similar in terms of personnel, try and catch a few out.

I'd be tempted to bring Jota back in, and maybe even Traore just to see what he's like when he starts.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
For me, I’d bring Jota back as Vinagre stays out wide more compared to Jonny, so more like what Bazza did last year so that should give Jota more space inside, I also thought Jota looked a bit sharper when he came on on Sunday. I would like to see MGW start but not sure if Cardiff with their physical style of play is the right game for that.
Personally I would play Cav up front centrally as he is our most clinical finisher but think Nuno will leave Jiminez in that role for his link up play,

Patricio

Doherty Bennett Coady Boly Vinagre

Moutinho Neves

Traore Cav Jota

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Luckily there's always a man sitting on the bench who is ready to save the season

Take your tracksuit top off, adjust your shin pads and step forward Leander Dendoncker

Great post. Pure Roy of the Rovers stuff isn't it wasn't it. He wil break his leg when we are two nil down and the score a hatrick in the last five minutes. Jumpers for goalposts.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because people realise he is a weak link in the way we play. Watch the back 3 carefully. Both coady and boly step up and distribute.

Watch how many times Bennett decides to go back to coady or boly and give them responsibility instead.

It slows play down and makes us less dynamic

And we have a Belgium intl on bench .

Let's not forget that those three players are there, first of all, to defend. They don't all have to be Beckenbauer. I'd be interested to see Bennett's stats compared to Boly when it comes to giving the ball away.

If Bennett was foreign and cost a fortune everyone would say how tidy and solid he is. Scapegoat of the week.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Patricio

Bennett Coady Boly

Saiss

Jiminez Cav

OR

Patricio

Bennett Coady Boly

Dendoncker

Cav MGW Neves Doherty

Bonatini
Jiminez​

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's not forget that those three players are there, first of all, to defend. They don't all have to be Beckenbauer. I'd be interested to see Bennett's stats compared to Boly when it comes to giving the ball away.

If Bennett was foreign and cost a fortune everyone would say how tidy and solid he is. Scapegoat of the week.

Bennett is a lot more safe and rarely gives the ball away himself , but will force coady or boly into a much more difficult pass than was originall on and refused by Bennett

I’m not suggesting putting Traore at cb. I’m suggesting a Belgium international defender

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazed that so many are picking Cav. I really like him but he was absolutely woeful on Sunday. Worse than Costa.

D

Deleted member 3751

Except our defenders are there to also start attacks.

You can look at the stats all you like. What I see is a player uncomfortable when on the ball which means that when the ball is played to him and he should be able to take a touch and move it on, he takes a bad touch and has to go back to the keeper who then launches it to nobody in particular.

It's 100% pass accuracy... but it's not constructive in the way we want to play. The last few weeks he's looked like a free transfer from a Championship club. Throwing his body in the way of a shot is all very commendable (and obviously plays a part) but we need him to be better when we have the ball and any decent centre half who's good on the ball will also throw himself in front of a shot

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not read through this thread,as generally they are mostly the same,but for me against the sheep we need to flock the midfield.:D Seriously I think we would be better off picking Saiss and Neves for this game and leave Neves mort,or Gibbs-white for the footballing sides,ie chelsea.But there agen I ay no Nuno.:rolleyes:

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rui
Dendonker Coady Boly
Doc Moutinho Neves Vinagre
Traore Raul Leo

Leo.. yes i'm serious i think he will be involved at some point on Friday moved Cardiff all over the place last season,

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bennett is a lot more safe and rarely gives the ball away himself , but will force coady or boly into a much more difficult pass than was originall on and refused by Bennett

I’m not suggesting putting Traore at cb. I’m suggesting a Belgium international defender

I'd stick with Bennett for Cardiff.

Got some big lads in their side who he can deal with.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

I agree about concerns regarding Bennett's distribtion but you have to base it on the game.

For instance, Huddersfield at home was a game we were always going to dominate and I think he should've brough Dendoncker on for Bennett at half-time.

However, Cardiff away and Chelsea at home are games when you need out and out defenders.

Cardiff have Bamba and Morrison as massive threats from set-pieces - and we are probably going to have to defend 30+ balls into our box.

Coady can't compete with them, Boly should be able to but who else? Dendoncker isn't as physically strong or good in the air as Bennett so he shouldn't come in at centre-back.

Against Chelsea, we will probably set up like an away game - like United & Arsenal or City at home, and in all three games Bennett was very good.

Managers are reluctant to change defenders and I sort of understand why but Sunday was a game that Dendoncker should've started as we needed to break down a deep defence.

Friday, I'd get Dendoncker in for Moutinho, should add a bit more steel in what will be a battle.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think its time for some changes after this Sunday' s (non) performance. I think one or two need a kick up the rear.
For me, I would be tempted to keep 3-4-3 but play MGW in a fluid role behind the front 2, and able to augment midfield when required.
Moutinho was given the hook at half time on Sunday so Nuno apportioned some of that blame on him. I would replace with Saiss.
Bennett has been solid this season and Cardiff will play a physical game so I would keep him in for the moment.
Boly was poor on Sunday and can be a bit casual sometimes so I would bring in Dendocker (if he can play on the LHS) or Hause
My team would therefore be:

Patricio
Bennett, Coady, Dendonker/ Hause
Doherty, Neves, Saiss, Vinagre
MGW
Traore, Jimenez

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever we pick we need a 3 man midfield, as Cardiff will play similar tactics to Huddersfield. Dendonker alongside Moutinho with Neves holding. Same back 5 for me. Jota to start up front with Jimenez. Cav and Costa dropped to the bench.

Last edited:

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rui
Dendonker Coady Boly
Doc Moutinho Neves Vinagre
Traore Raul Leo

Leo.. yes i'm serious i think he will be involved at some point on Friday moved Cardiff all over the place last season,

I was actually thinking last night that I can see Bonatini playing in this.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it isn’t . He’s a liability at bringing the ball out from the back and puts other players under unnecessary pressure
Liability is too strong a word. Although he did give the ball away for the goal...Oh wait no he didn't.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazed that so many are picking Cav. I really like him but he was absolutely woeful on Sunday. Worse than Costa.

Take your point, he was woeful. I guess my argument would be that a) he made lots of mistakes, but those mistakes came from a desire for attacking intent and skillful linkup, and b) with the focus on Vinagre as an attacking outlet, Cav was forced to be the chance creator rather than the chance converter, which is the opposite of playing to his strengths.

In the perfect match with Costa and Cav, for instance, Costa beats the man and gets to the byline; Cav breaks with pace and finishes. Using Vinagre so much reversed this set up and forced both players into the wrong role.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not talking about one game
Throughout the season though I wouldn't say his passing has caused us any problems. Worst case scenario is a pass back to coady for one of his pints. It would be nice to have a better passer of the ball there but to call him a liability is unfair.

B

BristolBasedWanderer

Patricio

Bennett Coady Boly

Saiss

Jiminez Cav

OR

Patricio

Bennett Coady Boly

Dendoncker

Cav MGW Neves Doherty

Bonatini
Jiminez​
I can't understand the number of people going for this holding midfield option with someone infront of the back 3. I agree we need someone to help break up the midfield but we aren't playing a team with a huge goal scoring threat. Appreciate Huddersfield weren't exactly free scoring either.
I would go the other way and have MGW infront of the midfield 2 to help with the box to box stuff and push the attacks forward but the idea of sitting that many players back just feels excessive. Get the ball out from the back and onto MGW gives him the freedom to push forward quickly and pick out the right pass which he has shown he can do.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Throughout the season though I wouldn't say his passing has caused us any problems. Worst case scenario is a pass back to coady for one of his pints. It would be nice to have a better passer of the ball there but to call him a liability is unfair.

It’s restricting us starting attacks though

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it were me I charge I would select a team of bruisers from the under 23s and play a couple of games a week against them,get them used to playing games against teams that flood the midfield and are defensive..The team's that play football just let it come naturally.We have proved we can play against the good sides but we haven't learned out how to play the rough and tumble sides.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s restricting us starting attacks though

You're pushing this Bennett thing a bit too far. This is not our current problem at all. I'd go as far to say it's not even an issue whatseoever, and you're really just searching for a problem in a player just because there's somebody more glamorous with a big transfer fee and a foreign national flag next to his head on the bench. One that you've only seen play for Wolves on a couple of occasions, might I add.

If you want to replace a defender for no reason, your argument would probs be stronger with Boly compared to the other two because while he tries to pass forward a lot, he gets caught napping / doing daft things in dangerous positions a hell of lot more than the others. Good teams capitalise on this and it costs points, see Spurs for the most recent example.

When was the last time Bennett cost us a point?

Listen to our manager. Clean sheets are the first priority. For this we have to defend properly. Then we build from there.

HolmfirthWolf

Reaction score
...............................Patricio.............................
.......Bennett..........Cody..................Boly.........
Doherty........Saiss......Neves......... Vinagre...
.............................MGW..........................
.. ...............Jiminez... ........Cav........

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our wide players are playing more like wingers than inside forwards this season and I think it’s being instructed to offer more defensively, I’d like to see us only do that vs the top 6 and go back to using inside forwards against the weaker sides and Cavaliero & Jota are best at that as Traore/Costa are more like out and out wingers. I’d be tempted to drop Bennett and try Dendoncker as we aren’t exactly keeping clean sheets either so defensively we aren’t good enough either at the minute, but at the same time Cardiff are the sort of team Bennett is probably most useful against so I’m a bit 50/50. Also think Moutinho needs resting and although I’d want Gibbs-White, him and Neves sounds too light-weight up against Cardiff.

I’d go for

Patricio
Dendoncker - Coady - Boly
Doherty - Neves - Saiss - Vinagre
Cavaliero - Jimenez - Jota

Subs - Ruddy, Bennett, Hause, Moutinho, Gibbs-White, Traore, Costa

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got a strong feeling it's going to be Saiss for Bennett and Traore for Cav.

Back
Top Bottom