Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team for Friday...

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been covered on another thread:

The team you'd like to see start and the team you think will:

What I'd like to see:

Patricio

Doherty Coady Boly Vinagre

Dendoncker

Neves MGW

Traore Jimenez Jota

What I think it will be:

Patricio

Dendoncker Coady Boly

Doherty (RWB) Vinagre (LWB)

Neves Moutinho

Costa Jimenez Jota

Reactions: DPE
E

E is for idiot.

Switch to 4 at the back? Why? I'd bring a forward player back into the midfield, but more between the forwards and midfielders than directly in a 3. I would also bring Dendocker in for Bennett. Despite him being solid he doesn't really offer us much in terms of playing when we have the ball. We missed an extra outlet.

D

Deleted member 5962

Apologies if this has already been covered on another thread:

The team you'd like to see start and the team you think will:

What I'd like to see:

Patricio

Doherty Coady Boly Vinagre

Dendoncker

Neves MGW

Traore Jimenez Jota

What I think it will be:

Patricio

Dendoncker Coady Boly

Neves Moutinho

Costa Jimenez Jota

Think Coady would be crucified in a back 2 especially against a team like cardiff tbh.

I am still sticking to what I said when we first started the 3 at the back formation. I want the sweeper to come into the midfield when we are on the attack, for this reason alone, I would consider swapping Coady for Dendonker. But I have a feeling we wont be seeing many changes.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would Like....

Rui
Doc, Dendonk, Boly, Vinagre
Saiss, Mout
Neves
Cav, Raul, Jota

Expect it Will be...
Rui
Doc, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Vinagre
Neves, Mout,
Traore, Raul, Jota

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Switch to 4 at the back? Why? I'd bring a forward player back into the midfield, but more between the forwards and midfielders than directly in a 3. I would also bring Dendocker in for Bennett. Despite him being solid he doesn't really offer us much in terms of playing when we have the ball. We missed an extra outlet.

Perhaps not as rigid as 4 at the back. Just showing some ability to adapt when necessary i.e. Dendoncker going into the midfield when we have the ball and reverting into defence when we don't.

E

E is for idiot.

Think Coady would be crucified in a back 2 especially against a team like cardiff tbh.

I am still sticking to what I said when we first started the 3 at the back formation. I want the sweeper to come into the midfield when we are on the attack, for this reason alone, I would consider swapping Coady for Dendonker. But I have a feeling we wont be seeing many changes.

See I kind of agree but think it should be the outside centre halves who step in. That way they can offer an outlet on both sides of the pitch, meaning there is a safe option at all times but if it was Boly and Dendocker it is someone who can play a forward thinking pass if it is on.

D

Deleted member 5962

See I kind of agree but think it should be the outside centre halves who step in. That way they can offer an outlet on both sides of the pitch, meaning there is a safe option at all times but if it was Boly and Dendocker it is someone who can play a forward thinking pass if it is on.

What youre suggesting is I think what Nuno intended by putting Saiss on the right in pre-season and signing Dendonker. But for some reason Bennett has put a spanner in this.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should play the same team that played well v Arsenal, bar Jonny obviously.

L

long ball man

a modified 343 or if you like 3412 for me

Patricio
Dendocker Coady Boly
Doherty Neves Moutinho Vinagre
MGW
Jimenez Jota

Addresses some probs, whilst not completely jettisoning the wingbacks and 3 up front USP.

To me aside from uncharacteristically poor individual games...(sadly looking at you Wily Boly) the biggest two issues we have are:

- being outnumbered in midfield, so MGW fits into a 3 when out of possession
- the lack of output from the 2 'wide' forwards. Cav aside (who is unlucky not to make my XI) all of them have offered very little in terms of end product. Helder, in particular, is a total luxury just now. So I reckon a narrower front 2 comprised of the only 2 players we have in the first team squad who can play there is likely to lead to fewer situations of us losing possession in the attacking third and more numbers in the box. We can also go wider against tiring defences, Cav and Traore after an hour.

I also think we have to get MGW into the team. I am not convinced that a two-man midfield is his best position.

E

E is for idiot.

What youre suggesting is I think what Nuno intended by putting Saiss on the right in pre-season and signing Dendonker. But for some reason Bennett has put a spanner in this.

I do too. I just think that he realised Saiss wasn't up to playing that position and for whatever reason Dendoncker hasn't offered what he wanted either. I do think it has contributed to our meagre goal return slightly, although the bulk of that problem has to be levelled at the profligacy of our forwards.

D

Deleted member 5910

Cavaleiro----Jimenez----Gibbs-White

Neves----Mountinho
Vinagre-------------------------------------Doherty

Boly----Coady---Bennett

Patricio​

With an emphasis on MGW dropping deeper into an advanced midfield position if Cardiff 'do a Huddersfield' on us. Agree with @Bugsy911 that Bennett will be preferable to Dendoncker for the physical aspect of this game, but that he should be seriously knocking on the door.

D

Deleted member 5962

I do too. I just think that he realised Saiss wasn't up to playing that position and for whatever reason Dendoncker hasn't offered what he wanted either. I do think it has contributed to our meagre goal return slightly, although the bulk of that problem has to be levelled at the profligacy of our forwards.

I might get flack for this, but I actually think the issue with the forwards goes back to Leo losing form and being dropped. He sat deeper allowing them to go narrower and be more of a threat. They have been too wide this season putting crosses into an empty box. I think we need to encourage them to play narrower again.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio

Dendoncker Coady Boly

Neves Moutinho

Costa Traore Jota

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would keep Bennett in for this one.

Traore for Costa as the only change for me. Changing the formation is not for me.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio

Bennett Coady Boly

Moutinho Neves

Traore MGW Docherty
Jimenez Jota

Last edited:
E

E is for idiot.

I might get flack for this, but I actually think the issue with the forwards goes back to Leo losing form and being dropped. He sat deeper allowing them to go narrower and be more of a threat. They have been too wide this season putting crosses into an empty box. I think we need to encourage them to play narrower again.

I also agree. I would play with two more central forwards and bring a forward player back to offer more of a link. I think that position would be perfect for Moutinho. He is tenacious enough to break up attacks before they start but also has enough ability on the ball to be able to affect the game high up the pitch. Neves and MGW to play deeper where they can pick out forward players. The bringing of the forward players more narrow would allow the wing backs more space to play in as well.

M

merseawolf

a modified 343 or if you like 3412 for me

Patricio
Dendocker Coady Boly
Doherty Neves Moutinho Vinagre
MGW
Jimenez Jota

Addresses some probs, whilst not completely jettisoning the wingbacks and 3 up front USP.

To me aside from uncharacteristically poor individual games...(sadly looking at you Wily Boly) the biggest two issues we have are:

- being outnumbered in midfield, so MGW fits into a 3 when out of possession
- the lack of output from the 2 'wide' forwards. Cav aside (who is unlucky not to make my XI) all of them have offered very little in terms of end product. Helder, in particular, is a total luxury just now. So I reckon a narrower front 2 comprised of the only 2 players we have in the first team squad who can play there is likely to lead to fewer situations of us losing possession in the attacking third and more numbers in the box. We can also go wider against tiring defences, Cav and Traore after an hour.

I also think we have to get MGW into the team. I am not convinced that a two-man midfield is his best position.
I was pleased when i saw Cav going off to change into some football boots instead of those flippers he started the game in. Unfortunatly the change of footwear made no difference in his game and was rightly hooked at H/T. Hopefully just a blip coz he was fab at Arsenal. Maybe a reminder to all that you cant just show up against the top sides.

D

Deleted member 4099

Rui
Dendonker Coady Boly
Doc Saiss Neves/Moutinho Vinagre
Cav Jimmy Jota

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
I would be amazed if Nuno changed the shape of the team. That said all he can do is change personnel to give us a bit more energy. I.e. MGW and Traore for Moutinho and Cav perhaps. They are the usual suspects. Is Dendoncker ready for a war on Friday? Only Nuno knows. Glad it's not my decision

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio
Bennet-Coady-Boly
Doherty-Neves-Saiss-Vinagre
Costa-MGW
Jhiminez

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t see him changing it, we’re actually better away playing this way this season.

I’d be tempted with MGW over Neves for this one in the middle to provide a bit more energy and drive on the ball.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bennet will be vital for the barrage Cardiff will throw at us ...utter madness if he doesn't start.

No it isn’t . He’s a liability at bringing the ball out from the back and puts other players under unnecessary pressure

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio

Bennett
Coady
Boly

Doherty
Moutinho
Neves
Vinagre

MGW
Jimenez
Jota

Although it looks the same formation on paper, MGW will be central with Neves and Moutinho, with Jota floating around Jimenez. For this to work, though, Doherty needs to buck his ideas up. He was genuinely useless yesterday, not tracking back, not getting forward, just doing nothing.

Our game under Nuno has always revolved around our wing backs so much, when they're not at it, we're not at it. Neither Doc or Vinagre looked match fit yesterday. Big game needed from them.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Patricio

Bennett
Coady
Boly

Doherty
Moutinho
Neves
Vinagre

MGW
Jimenez
Jota

Although it looks the same formation on paper, MGW will be central with Neves and Moutinho, with Jota floating around Jimenez. For this to work, though, Doherty needs to buck his ideas up. He was genuinely useless yesterday, not tracking back, not getting forward, just doing nothing.

Our game under Nuno has always revolved around our wing backs so much, when they're not at it, we're not at it. Neither Doc or Vinagre looked match fit yesterday. Big game needed from them.
This in Spades
Three in the middle with MGW ahead of Neves and Moutinho

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it isn’t . He’s a liability at bringing the ball out from the back and puts other players under unnecessary pressure
He won't need to do that on Friday heading kicking and blocking is all that's required

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno will play the same players in the same positions with the same instructions.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, defensively, Doherty is a big part of the problem. Not sure what the solution is, but that's what they pay the big bucks for.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio

Dendoncker
Coady
Boly

Doc
Vinagre

Neves
Saiss

Cavalerio
Jimenez
Jota

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Luckily there's always a man sitting on the bench who is ready to save the season

Take your tracksuit top off, adjust your shin pads and step forward Leander Dendoncker

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Patrício
Bennett
Coady
Boly
Doherty
Neves
Dendonker
Moutinho
Jiminez
Jota

I would keep Bennett in for this one due to Cardiff’s long ball game, but bring Dendonker in as DCM alongside Neves, and play Moutinho just ahead of them. MGW to come on as second half sub if it doesn’t work. Jiminez and Jota to play closer together as 2 strikers.

Back
Top Bottom