Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite strange to see an article with the sentence “There are also a number of Barcelona players interested in joining Wolves” in it. Agent Adama has been selling them all the dream.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite strange to see an article with the sentence “There are also a number of Barcelona players interested in joining Wolves” in it. Agent Adama has been selling them all the dream.
Or Agent Adama is desperate to convince someone at Barca to come this way now Trincao swap looks dead in the water.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or Agent Adama is desperate to convince someone at Barca to come this way now Trincao swap looks dead in the water.
I think the Adama to Barca ship has sailed now, he can't get off the bench.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are you worried about losing?
Our PL status. The more changes, the more risk. In an ideal world we would have signed a CB last summer and be in a better position now to consider a back 4. We would've signed a CM last summer and would not be looking at potentially replacing our entire midfield. We would've signed a striker last summer to push Raul for a starting spot. But we didn't do any of that so now we're faced with a big gamble as they will be replacing players instead of supplementing them.

Imagine we sold Coady and replaced him with Vallejo, sold Raul and replaced him with Cutrone, sold Neto and replaced him with Trincao. All of those players we were excited to have signed, and all turned out to be duds. Signing them while we already have players that we know we can count on is one thing, having to replace those players is a totally different one and can go horribly wrong. Of course, it could all work out - it's just a big risk.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rumoured departure of some of the "senior" players could well have something to do with other rumours around "player power" & "bust ups". Coupled with a continued 'self-sustaining' transfer policy, I will not be surprised to see the names mentioned all depart.

Only time will tell if Lage is the coach to bring the a "new Wolves" together and deliver. Any new players need to be at pre-season training from Day 1. It is counter-productive if we are still fannying around in the transfer market in mid to late August with a squad of 22 which is largely made up of U23s & U18s.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We needed 2 CM’s before and if Neves goes we will need another 1 on top of that. That’s an absolutely huge ask for a manager to achieve.

I’ve just got a horrible feeling that we’ve kind of sleepwalked into huge trouble next season by trying to get by with what we’ve got for the last 2 seasons.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our PL status. The more changes, the more risk. In an ideal world we would have signed a CB last summer and be in a better position now to consider a back 4. We would've signed a CM last summer and would not be looking at potentially replacing our entire midfield. We would've signed a striker last summer to push Raul for a starting spot. But we didn't do any of that so now we're faced with a big gamble as they will be replacing players instead of supplementing them.

Imagine we sold Coady and replaced him with Vallejo, sold Raul and replaced him with Cutrone, sold Neto and replaced him with Trincao. All of those players we were excited to have signed, and all turned out to be duds. Signing them while we already have players that we know we can count on is one thing, having to replace those players is a totally different one and can go horribly wrong. Of course, it could all work out - it's just a big risk.
well said

I think we all agree that we need to make significant changes, but the phrase Baby - Bathwater comes to mind

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you’re overrating something that cannot be measured. The leadership has been non-existent since the final whistle v Sevilla.

We need quality.

definitely need quality, but you also need leadership, voices, character, a spine

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

something lost in translation methinks, probably more like 'a number of Barcelona players COULD be interested...' or even 'Wolves are interested in a number of Barcelona players'. Loose translation + crap journalists = misinformation

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have never seen Puig play then .. I have a number of times .. no upgrade on who we have .. poorer than Vitinha .. would be better to develop Cundle than buy Puig .. If Neves leaves we need better quality than what we currently have
Puig has played quite well when i have seen him. Technically very good, good awareness, and has a burst of speed. However, the concern is he wouldn't cope physically with english football.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take Puig (on loan) as an option as the third midfielder in a 3. As above, definitely big question marks over him in the PL from a physical pov, but he is technically a very good footballer, as are most who come through La Masia.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is an interesting article in the Athletic about Haaland, and why he may not be the best signing for City. Essentially it’s about whether his playing style will work in City’s team, whether he can adapt his style, and the difference between the Bundersleague and PL. Basically the assessment was probably not. It got me thinking about how some players find it hard making the switch from Champ to PL, and the tricky problem of fixing our goal scoring challenges.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the perception of Wolves is on of the springboard to greater things, it's not much of a secret that this is how Dortmund are viewed as an example.

For all purposes I would happy to take some of the youthful players from Barcelona, actually having a few more Spanish speakers around the club might be beneficial to Jonny and Raul as well and help foster up those relationships.

Most noteworthy is that I could see those being relatively cheap acquisitions, as the major priority should be on a commanding CB to slot alongside Max, and the obvious need for a Neves replacement.

Having had the night to think over things I am strangely quite excited and optimistic, we lose a bit of a spine but a core nucleus of exciting talent remains, just need the right man in charge to get them to form a team but overall I actually am more positive than negative, for sure.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the perception of Wolves is on of the springboard to greater things, it's not much of a secret that this is how Dortmund are viewed as an example.

For all purposes I would happy to take some of the youthful players from Barcelona, actually having a few more Spanish speakers around the club might be beneficial to Jonny and Raul as well and help foster up those relationships.

Most noteworthy is that I could see those being relatively cheap acquisitions, as the major priority should be on a commanding CB to slot alongside Max, and the obvious need for a Neves replacement.

Having had the night to think over things I am strangely quite excited and optimistic, we lose a bit of a spine but a core nucleus of exciting talent remains, just need the right man in charge to get them to form a team but overall I actually am more positive than negative, for sure.
Yep, it would be great to be seen as that club and if we can expand into the Spanish market instead of just the Portuguese one then even better. I'm just wary of too much change, that is all.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My concern is that any number of technical players don’t necessarily replace the character and leadership of Coady, Neves (maybe Jimenez and Moutinho if they leave)

It’s not a small thing

what you have to ask yourself is...if you have 4 leaders as you say on the pitch at the same time.Why have we been lacking in motivation this last few months.?

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Matt, i think most fans seem to be willing to take the big risk now. This is not a reaction to the last 15 games, its a response to over the last 2 years. The team has become stale, less dependable at the back, blunt upfront. Its not an enjoyable watch and hasnt been so since just before covid. The new style of trying to control the play is reminiscent of the hoddle era, sideways and backwards in fear of losing the ball and putting our weak defence under pressure.

I advocate a full refresh of the spine of the team this summer, manager and players alike. Yes it could be boom or bust, but the steady decline is only going to take us in one direction. Stick with what we have got and next year could be a painful experience and the fans will get on the players backs even more (already have over the last few games) and the mol will become a miserable place like in the 90s to be at.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of the Barcelona players mentioned are potentially very good signings however if, as some are suggesting, Wolves rip out the spine of the team and replace them, what if they don't hit the ground running and it takes time to adapt as Trincao, Silva and Podence have

This clear out has probably bin on the cards ever since Bruno arrived.So they have had plenty of time to assess the players they need.And nobody knows how ONE player settles never mind a handful.Especially from abroad.It's a big gamble every team in the world has to experience.Chelsea had to wait a few months for Timo Werner and Kai Havertz to start performing.So like I say it's a gamble,and one we have to take as it's definitely needed.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, it would be great to be seen as that club and if we can expand into the Spanish market instead of just the Portuguese one then even better. I'm just wary of too much change, that is all.
I do think we hit the wall where something massive has to change. Refreshing the dressing room can be a huge part of keeping a team going, infamously Fergie used to turn over the squad every 3 to 4 seasons to keep the players on their toes and brighten the environment up.

I think for sake of some players, it's needed, they need to see some fresh blood.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt, i think most fans seem to be willing to take the big risk now. This is not a reaction to the last 15 games, its a response to over the last 2 years. The team has become stale, less dependable at the back, blunt upfront. Its not an enjoyable watch and hasnt been so since just before covid. The new style of trying to control the play is reminiscent of the hoddle era, sideways and backwards in fear of losing the ball and putting our weak defence under pressure.

I advocate a full refresh of the spine of the team this summer, manager and players alike. Yes it could be boom or bust, but the steady decline is only going to take us in one direction. Stick with what we have got and next year could be a painful experience and the fans will get on the players backs even more (already have over the last few games) and the mol will become a miserable place like in the 90s to be at.
I'm absolutely not saying we should stick with what we've got, we definitely need a big injection of new players to freshen the team up. What I am saying is that if we don't hand out any new contracts, we are already going to be without:

Ruddy, Saiss, Marcal, Moutinho and Trincao.

We are probably going to lose Neves and Adama, too.

That is 7 first team players that will all need replacing and in itself is a massive risk and rebuild. To then sell the likes of Coady and Raul on top of that is madness and completely unnecessary, imo.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The backlash against Fosun, Shi and Sellars could be huge if they dont get everything spot on. I've got the same fear as you, too many changes can cause problems. If Neves goes, we have to replace him plus we still need another midfielder. We need probably 1 wide attacker, 1 striker and 1 center half. Thats already 4 players. There are also the likes of Moutinho and Dendoncker who could well be leaving, so there is another 2 players. Up to 6 already. Who replaces Marcal if we switch to a back 4 because Giles isnt a left back, there is 7. Thats a lot of players who all have to come in and be ready to go from day one. On top of that, losing a complete midfield plus the experience of Mouts is going to make things extra difficult if it happens.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At this stage, i think we all agree that sticking is not a sensible option for next season. It's just a case of how much we decide to twist.
And who's going to be in charge of the twisting.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well here it is the make or break summer, we have had it alluded to us for a couple of years now with no avail. Bruno has demanded the back up and i admire that.

If ruben is to go, who else to follow, with an ageing moutinho we need other options, he is still an option but not for a full season.

Impetus in attack is needed, although im delighted by chiquinho. Future bright for a fully fit neto, chiquinho and involvement from podence.

Silva made things happen in the 15 mins coming on against norwich, with the link up play with podence and chiquinho, something we arent seeing at all from Raul.

Its a massive summer, and i can only back the boys, i hope this is the rebuild this year and we can head into next year a new machine, with lage's ways

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The backlash against Fosun, Shi and Sellars could be huge if they dont get everything spot on. I've got the same fear as you, too many changes can cause problems. If Neves goes, we have to replace him plus we still need another midfielder. We need probably 1 wide attacker, 1 striker and 1 center half. Thats already 4 players. There are also the likes of Moutinho and Dendoncker who could well be leaving, so there is another 2 players. Up to 6 already. Who replaces Marcal if we switch to a back 4 because Giles isnt a left back, there is 7. Thats a lot of players who all have to come in and be ready to go from day one. On top of that, losing a complete midfield plus the experience of Mouts is going to make things extra difficult if it happens.

Its massive, i would suggest we still look to stick to a Portuguese core.

But i would build the team around neto

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
its defo back him or sack him time - has to be 100% either way - no half measures

anyhow a rumour..

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I think after yesterday we have some telling signs on who will be around and who'll be leaving starting to emerge. If we are looking primarily at first team ready players to improve on our mid-table position then looking at who is likely to be here as realistic starters we can see the gaps/improvements we need to fill:

Likely starter next season:
Goalkeeper: I would anticipate some "interest" in Sa but foresee him being our No1 again with Sarkic as second choice

Full Backs: Semedo, Jonny, Ait-Nouri are fine as our starter, don't think we will see/upgrade any of these

Centre Back: first spot that needs the investment, we can't scrimp on this, realistically Kilman has a claim to one spot but believe that we need at least two decent centre-backs. Coady will fit into a three but in a flat back four he'll be on the bench with Toti

Centre-Midfield: I think we all know that Neves is going and that we want Moutinho to stay but we need at least three in here IMHO. at least one to anchor and two to drive forward increasing speed and guile of the attack. Will be controversial here in saying that I don't think we should look to replace Ruben with any Neves style player, we need reconstruction here with different types of players. Cundle to go out on loan, and if I was Leander, I'd want to join a new club.

Attacking/Wide Midfield: We are reasonably well blessed here, can see us starting with Podence, Neto, Gibbs-White and Chiquinho as realistic options to rotate, can't see anything major happening in this position right now

Centre-Forward: I do think we need to keep hold of Raul, but would let Fabio have a loan to get some goals under his belt. That leaves us with Hwang but he's a sub at best. So that means at least two forwards if not three are required.

So the rebuild, which I guess they have planned, should look like:

GK: Sa, Sakic
FB: Semedo, Jonny, Ait-Nouri, maybe Bolla plus ano for cover
CB: Kilman with two new CB's plus Coady, Toti and Mosquera
CM: Moutinho (assuming he stays), plus three new CM's
AM: Neto, Podence, Gibbs-White, Chiquinho
CF: Raul, Hwang plus two

That's eight new players at least, with the usual two or three youngsters and six (Neves, Dendoncker, Traore, Saiss, Marcal and Boly) first teamers leaving.

Last edited:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd say not doing anything exposes us to exactly the same risk

If we continue as we are we'll certainly be in a relegation battle.

We can't turn the clock back, and I wish we could, but we have to do something or relegation feels inevitable

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its defo back him or sack him time - has to be 100% either way - no half measures

anyhow a rumour..

I think he will go to At. Madrid and then Kondogbia will come to us

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say not doing anything exposes us to exactly the same risk

If we continue as we are we'll certainly be in a relegation battle.

We can't turn the clock back, and I wish we could, but we have to do something or relegation feels inevitable
I'm not saying we don't do anything. We have to do something because we're losing 5 players out of contract/end of loan already. So we need a minimum of 5 new players just to match what we have now. If we sell anyone that number goes up. What I'm saying is selling experienced players that we don't have to sell (your Coady's and Raul's) is an unnecessary risk.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got no problem with some of the kids at Barcelona if they are backed up by 4 or so senior players........

In reality we should off insisted in Puig on loan in January till the end of the season....to access him.....as part of the adama deal..

If we can 40m ish for neves plus nico Gonzalez.....and then use the 40m for palhinha n guedes it might not be the end of world as we nw it....

Last edited:

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not saying we don't do anything. We have to do something because we're losing 5 players out of contract/end of loan already. So we need a minimum of 5 new players just to match what we have now. If we sell anyone that number goes up. What I'm saying is selling experienced players that we don't have to sell (your Coady's and Raul's) is an unnecessary risk.
I get exactly where you are coming matt, plus what you put on my post. The trouble is i look at the side and think where is it going wrong and i fear it is the influence/inability of two key players in the team which are dictating the way we play, namely coady and moutinho. There is absolutely no pace throughout the whole of our middle. Our wingbacks and wide forwards can charge up and down the wing all day long but if there is no one in the box barr an underperforming raul then its all to no avail. Our lack of pace in defence has clearly been worked out now, even pukki yesterday embarrassed them over and over again.
So then is there a case to keep moutinho and coady on the bench as just in case, offer something different etc to keep some of the core. Yes of course there is, but we cant afford to have a 100k a week midfielder sitting there on the bench. These players that have served us so well in the past are sadly the main reasons for our current style now. I wish there were signs of this turning around, or we could just blame it on the manager, which would be a quick easy solve, but i fear its not, the team has been allowed to just slowly stagnate and now stinks of smelly pondwater. I dont think there is a halfway house in getting this team refreshed again. Wholesale changes need to be made or the stench will only get worse going into next season.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady and Raul would be two of my first out the door!

Last chance we'll get decent money for them and no longer good enough

But that's just me

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get exactly where you are coming matt, plus what you put on my post. The trouble is i look at the side and think where is it going wrong and i fear it is the influence/inability of two key players in the team which are dictating the way we play, namely coady and moutinho. There is absolutely no pace throughout the whole of our middle. Our wingbacks and wide forwards can charge up and down the wing all day long but if there is no one in the box barr an underperforming raul then its all to no avail. Our lack of pace in defence has clearly been worked out now, even pukki yesterday embarrassed them over and over again.
So then is there a case to keep moutinho and coady on the bench as just in case, offer something different etc to keep some of the core. Yes of course there is, but we cant afford to have a 100k a week midfielder sitting there on the bench. These players that have served us so well in the past are sadly the main reasons for our current style now. I wish there were signs of this turning around, or we could just blame it on the manager, which would be a quick easy solve, but i fear its not, the team has been allowed to just slowly stagnate and now stinks of smelly pondwater. I dont think there is a halfway house in getting this team refreshed again. Wholesale changes need to be made or the stench will only get worse going into next season.
Coady and Raul would be two of my first out the door!

Last chance we'll get decent money for them and no longer good enough

But that's just me
Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree!

For me, the process starts this summer (should've been last summer). Once we have a defense we're confident in without Coady, we can think about him leaving. Same with Raul. Same with Neves/Moutinho. The squad is small already, we definitely need new first-team players all over the pitch. Coady, Raul and Moutinho shouldn't be guaranteed a place in the starting XI but they should all be in/around it next season while we transition, imo.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those who don't know much about the players in the tweet above

Abde Ezzalzouli or Ez Abde - 20 year old winger

Nico Gonzalez - 20 year old box to box midfielder but versatile enough to play various other roles

Riqui Puig - 22 year old centre mid Vitinha-esk

Alejandro Balde - 18 year old left back basically a Spanish Alphonso Davies

Oscar Mingueza - 23 year old centre back who can play both left and right back if required but much better centrally.

Balde, Abde & Nico are Gestifute clients.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ferran Jutgla was also a considered option who is a 23 year old striker
I don’t think any of these players are what we need this summer.
With the likely departure of a good few senior players we need replacements in the 24-28 sort of bracket. I am mostly happy with our policy of buying young and developing, but feel we are saturated in that regard right now.
3 proper experienced ready to go players. Let the likes of Gomes Mosquera, cundle, Chiquinho Silva, mgw, Giles, Sanderson make up the young developing part of our squad.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well here it is the make or break summer, we have had it alluded to us for a couple of years now with no avail. Bruno has demanded the back up and i admire that.

If ruben is to go, who else to follow, with an ageing moutinho we need other options, he is still an option but not for a full season.

Impetus in attack is needed, although im delighted by chiquinho. Future bright for a fully fit neto, chiquinho and involvement from podence.

Silva made things happen in the 15 mins coming on against norwich, with the link up play with podence and chiquinho, something we arent seeing at all from Raul.

Its a massive summer, and i can only back the boys, i hope this is the rebuild this year and we can head into next year a new machine, with lage's ways
I would agree all of that except the last three words.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I’d like to think the club already have a fairly solid idea of who is leaving and who is staying.

And for those that are leaving, a list of replacements or maybe even some deals wrapped up behind the scenes.

The last 3 seasons however don’t give me much faith this is happening. With a few exceptions (Sa being the main one), we are reactive rather than proactive in the market.

Rather than a gradual refreshing of the squad over recent seasons, we now face rebuilding the core of the squad this summer.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with all of this.

I don't know why we have decided to leave the obviously needed changes for so long. It's stupid. Saving money in the short term when we would have needed new players eventually anyway. So in this window we will now need to sign around 6/7 players minimum to make the squad bigger and improve the team after the outgoings... it's worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom