Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Wow, where did you see this. Fantastic signing and I'm already ordering a Wolves' top with Ronnie's name on it. Jigsaw missing piece! o_O
It’s a good try. But personally I think the attempt at sarcasm would have worked better if you tried to centre it around something that I actually wrote. Simply just misconstruing the probability comparison between Ronaldo and Belotti for cheap laughs is lazy.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think there's 2 types of DM in the modern game. From your list, Fabinho and Rodri fall into one camp, Kroos falls into the other.

Veratti is a strange one, as he is tiny, but tries to play like Fabinho and Rodri! He's kind of a hybrid and more of an all-round central midfield player than a DM.

Fabinho and Rodri are bigger, more physical, defensive types but still very good on the ball, which is why they are playing for Liverpool and Man City respectively. Ones that could fill in at centre back if needed, and have on a number of occasions. Casemiro plays that role for Real Madrid.

Kroos probably couldn't do the job Fabinho and Rodri do for for those teams the way they currently set up. Neves probably couldn't too.

Kroos and Neves fall into the deep-lying playmaker category, who are often better when paired next to a more ball-winning defensive type. Similar to Jorginho at Chelsea too.

If a top team wants to play one DM with two more box to box or attacking types, as City mainly do, Neves isn't their man in my opinion.

If a top team wants to pair him in the (I hate this next phrase) double-pivot, with a more defensive minded DM, he'd be absolutely perfect for them.

This is why it'll be very funny if United buy him for £70m+ and stick him in next to Fred or McTominay, in the hope he will transform their midfield.
Neves doesn't progress the ball anyway nearly as well as Rodri or Fabinho though. His progression numbers more similar to Xhaka. He actually makes more tackles and blocks so he is similar to Rodri hence the comparison. He looks like he should be like a deep lying playmaker but he doesn't actually play like it. Most Portuguese CMs don't it is in the countries footballing style to play two DMs.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He really wouldn’t

i reckon neves is nailed on for Liverpool
Why? They have Thiago as a DLP, and a world class DM in Fabinho.
Liverpool are very stringent and concise in squad building, they’re not a Yanited.
Barca to replace ageing Busquets, Real for Kroos or Modric are best stylistic and immediate need fits among the giants for sensible squad building.
Personally I hope it’s either of the Spanish big ones, because they might hold off another season, and Jorge already has form for that kind of agreement with Ronaldo.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Liverpool are very stringent and concise in squad building, they’re not a Yanited.
Barca to replace ageing Busquets, Real for Kroos or Modric are best stylistic and immediate need fits among the giants for sensible squad building.
Personally I hope it’s either of the Spanish big ones, because they might hold off another season, and Jorge already has form for that kind of agreement with Ronaldo.
He isn't remotely similar to Modric and Camavinga will be replacement for Kroos. They are in for Tchouameni who is the hot property at CM. Modric also signing a new deal. Think he will be at United, he isn't at the level of the top clubs yet.
Although given our Barca links perhaps could see that, don't think he'd start every game but would be rotation option and they should play loads of games a season

Last edited by a moderator:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I care. I'd like all our fans to at least be able to spell our players' names, even if a lot can't spell everything they post. It's a respect issue.
He was probably typing quickly. No disrespect at all.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He was probably typing quickly. No disrespect at all.
Nevis is going nowhere he has accepted a new contract that keeps him at Wolves till 2027. Big pay rise plus assurance that the team will be improved to champions league standard.

I have not discounted that Nevis might go to Wolverhampton Wanderers seems that Wolves supporters know that he is going. I do not.
One is a mistake he could edit it but didn’t bother twice is unforgivable

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they’re in for top class midfielder who can offer something different says my season ticket holder mate. Henderson waning and he thinks Neves would relish dropping balls in to pacey front three

Plus Jota keeping in touch

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barca said to be taking Kessie on a free from Milan - can't see them needing Neves if thats the case.
That leaves only another 6 or so clubs then!

We need him more than any other clubs so give him a long term contract and double his wages!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Barca said to be taking Kessie on a free from Milan - can't see them needing Neves if thats the case.
Forgot about that, yeah not going there then. Madrid I really can't see, but if they lose out on Tchouameni then they might

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Because they’re in for top class midfielder who can offer something different says my season ticket holder mate. Henderson waning and he thinks Neves would relish dropping balls in to pacey front three

Plus Jota keeping in touch
Neves would play the same role as Thiago and Klopp will never pick two midfielders without legs. Henderson isn't really a starter anymore in the big games anyway.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see him picking any amputees in central defence any time soon either.

The way the handball rule is going, soon it would be a huge advantage to go for a team of players with no arms from the t-shirt line down.

Mind you, the refs in this country would probably still find a way of giving a handball against them.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair Bruno is talking complete crap though. Neves will go for somewhere between 50-60 million.
That depends on who is interested. I reckon we could screw £80m out of United if their new manager prioritises Neves.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That depends on who is interested. I reckon we could screw £80m out of United if their new manager prioritises Neves.
No one is paying £80M for a sitting midfielder. He's be the 2nd most expensive midfielder ever and by far the most expensive DM type.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one is paying £80M for a sitting midfielder. He's be the 2nd most expensive midfielder ever and by far the most expensive DM type.
I don't see him as just a DM. He is a playmaker too and increasingly this season has been getting forward and presenting a goal threat.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’s a deep lying playmaker come on

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He’s a deep lying playmaker come on
As I've already said that is the same thing for good teams, deep lying playmaker is just a FIFA/Football Manager term. The more defensive of the midfielders top team's play still progresses the ball at an elite rate. Verrati for example makes more tackles per game that Neves (despite his team having miles more of the ball) yet progresses the ball at an elite rate both dribbling and passing. Kante makes more progressive passes and dribbles than Neves, would anyone describe him as a deep lying playmaker?

For example, Neves ranks around 40th in the league for progressive passes per 90, once you strip out the guys who haven't played much. Behind Winks, McGinn, Højbjerg, Jorginho, and similar to guys like Skipp, Allan.

Now I think he is a better player than those (apart from Jorginho possibly) but it does show he isn't pulling the strings and moving the ball forward like the top CMs. Again part of that is system/players around him but part of it is that he is more of a ball retainer than a guy who is driving the ball through the lines. He could easily do it, has the technical ability but he has always been pretty safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I've already said that is the same thing for good teams, deep lying playmaker is just a FIFA/Football Manager term. The more defensive of the midfielders top team's play still progresses the ball at an elite rate. Verrati for example makes more tackles per game that Neves (despite his team having miles more of the ball) yet progresses the ball at an elite rate both dribbling and passing. Kante makes more progressive passes and dribbles than Neves, would anyone describe him as a deep lying playmaker?

Neves has more tackles, more progressive passes by number and total distance, and Neves has more progressive carries than Kante in terms of distance and number.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Neves has more tackles, more progressive passes by number and total distance, and Neves has more progressive carries than Kante in terms of distance and number.
Kante has about 75% the minutes, per 90 numbers.
N'Golo Kanté Stats | FBref.com

Dishonest comparison

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kante has about 75% the minutes, per 90 numbers.
N'Golo Kanté Stats | FBref.com

Dishonest comparison
scores more goals,wins more headers,collects more passes,makes more crosses,

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

scores more goals,wins more headers,collects more passes,makes more crosses,
Collects more passes because he is more of a ball recycler. He contributes more goals, usually a couple more per season but the rest of the stats don't scream deep lying playmaker do they? Do you regard Kante as a deep lying playmaker?

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collects more passes because he is more of a ball recycler. He contributes more goals, usually a couple more per season but the rest of the stats don't scream deep lying playmaker do they? Do you regard Kante as a deep lying playmaker?
higher % of balls collected(better ball control)
I don`t regard Kante as a deep lying playmaker but someone who can collect a ball deep and run forward
but I believe that will regress as he gets older and looks like he is picking up more injuries and taking longer
to recover

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

higher % of balls collected(better ball control)
I don`t regard Kante as a deep lying playmaker but someone who can collect a ball deep and run forward
but I believe that will regress as he gets older and looks like he is picking up more injuries and taking longer
to recover
The last sentence isn't relevant, not discussing player quality Kante clearly superior but for a longer term you could maybe argue Neves. I was demonstrating that Neves doesn't really play make like most deep lying progression players do. The player comparison tool on the right on FB is pretty eh, some often quite odd ones but Neves feel fairly relevant. With Moutinho so close you can see how similar they are and possibly how our system holds him back.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kante isn't a deep lying playmaker, Ruben is.

You can't just use an example of a top 6 midfielder, pick out some stats and say Ruben is the same.

Chelsea are a much better all round team than wolves are which means most of their players stats look much better by comparison.

Do your eyes tell you that Kante & Neves are similar players?

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last sentence isn't relevant, not discussing player quality Kante clearly superior but for a longer term you could maybe argue Neves. I was demonstrating that Neves doesn't really play make like most deep lying progression players do. The player comparison tool on the right on FB is pretty eh, some often quite odd ones but Neves feel fairly relevant. With Moutinho so close you can see how similar they are and possibly how our system holds him back.
if Neves gets back to full fitness I would have in my team over Kante now

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Kante isn't a deep lying playmaker, Ruben is.

You can't just use an example of a top 6 midfielder, pick out some stats and say Ruben is the same.

Chelsea are a much better all round team than wolves are which means most of their players stats look much better by comparison.

Do your eyes tell you that Kante & Neves are similar players?
My eyes tell me neither are "deep lying playmakers". Ruben is closer to Fabinho than to Thiago for e.g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom