Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We will always have Chorley.
Vitinha was a world class footballer sent from the future to terminate the Chorley ghost.

In an alternate future, we lost to Chorley (with 100,000 wolves fans later claiming they were there), Nuno got sacked earlier than he actually did, and we'd now be in league 1, hoping a late run might get us into the play offs.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that was the truth we might as well shut up shop as a football club. Yes if a Man City came in for Ait-Nouri he might grasp at it but only if he and his agent felt it was the right move at the right time. Even if much higher wages are on offer as long as the player has at least two years or more left on his contract they can play hard ball on the fee which in many cases will put predators off. Also there is a kick on effect of selling your best players. It sends out a signal that a club is going nowhere and encourages others to leave too. Also supporters turn against the club management.

To say that interest from a top six club automatically means a player is off is sheer nonsense. It all depends from a Wolves point of view what suits us. In some cases a fat fee will be just the job but repeat too many times and you find replacements are inevitably lower grade and morale tumbles along with results.

Well, sadly it is the truth. I dont know how you could say its nonsense tbh. Its just the way the game is. We are an average premier league side at the end of the day. If Arsenal, Citeh, United, Liverpool, probably even Chelsea or Newcastle tbh come in for our players with a fair offer, there is going to be an expectation from the player that the bid will be accepted. Its more than likely how we convince players to come here, promising them we wont stand in their way if a fair offer comes in and they want to go.

We arent even the same club we were in our first couple of years under Nuno where we were in and around Europe. Our whole model has changed since covid. We cant offer European football, the Mendes well has dried up so all we can offer good players who sign for us is the opportunity to get themselves a good move if they perform. As much as people may want to think otherwise, as a club we have very little power if one of the big boys wants our players and they want the move. Playing hardball simply isnt going to work.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think next season we could be a bit unfortunate because we have some excellent players in positions that some of the bigger clubs are looking for.
If we replace them with experience and talent no reason why we can’t progress

Risk and reward

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's difficult to see how we could replace RAN with cheaper and better though. Same with Cunha
Agreed, but you dont replace like for like. You get 2 players in across the squad for what you sell a cunha or ait nouri for, and stregthen the squad so we dont have this ridiculous drop off we have seen with hwang, neto and cunha all out at the same time.

Sell ait nouri to man city, bring in the left back that they want to push our way, and after angers have been paid their 8m, you are left with some money to get a younger forward in who can make an impact in the first team or off the bench rather than relying on fraser or chiwome.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's difficult to see how we could replace RAN with cheaper and better though. Same with Cunha
Well it’s going to be hard let’s not beat around the bush. City have someone ready made in Sergio Gomez though if they want to use him and give us cash probably the best deal we could hope for. He needs regular time to show his ability would get that here. He can play anywhere on the left including forward so very similar to RAN. For left back / wing back there seems a few options available. Including the free agents like Juan Mirando or Sergi Cardona / Harrison Burrows (risky one / HG)

As for Cunha he’s a unique talent who has progressed under Gaz. Who’s going to pay what we want for him though? We paid 50m you can add another 30m on that now easily?

Finding top forwards are hard to find we must demand as much money as we can for the likes of Neto & Cunha.

There’s a few forwards in South America if they had interest in coming to Wolves is another matter

Yuri Alberto - we know about him

Pablo Solari - 23 Argentine can play across the front 3

Pedro - Brazilian off Flamengo 26 quite the centre forward

Paulinho- Brazilian off Atletico Mineiro 23 can play across the front 3

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ben Johnson would be good back up to Semedo but no more than that. Imagine selling RAN and replacing him with a reserve from a team 5 points ahead of you on a free transfer, no thanks!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, but you dont replace like for like. You get 2 players in across the squad for what you sell a cunha or ait nouri for, and stregthen the squad so we dont have this ridiculous drop off we have seen with hwang, neto and cunha all out at the same time.

Sell ait nouri to man city, bring in the left back that they want to push our way, and after angers have been paid their 8m, you are left with some money to get a younger forward in who can make an impact in the first team or off the bench rather than relying on fraser or chiwome.
I see your point but I don't like the idea of selling our best player and replacing him with 2 average players to boost the squad. Wouldn't we be in danger of not having the drop off you mention but having a mediocre to average first XI.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see your point but I don't like the idea of selling our best player and replacing him with 2 average players to boost the squad. Wouldn't we be in danger of not having the drop off you mention but having a mediocre to average first XI.
This is the problem isn't it. If we keep doing that then eventually we end up with a bang average squad who eventually gets relegated. I think it's really important we don't sell more than one of our star players in the summer (or any summer). People say Brighton are the blueprint, but they're nowhere near the team they were last year - they're one point ahead of us!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d like to keep RAN and Neto, but unless we start getting in Europe & winning trophies losing top players is a reality. More to the point, these young prospects won’t join us in the first place if they know they can’t move on. They come to Wolves for a first team chance, knowing they won’t be trapped.
It's not necessarily the thought of playing in Europe as Ruben has demonstrated. Personal wealth and setting up your families future plays a big part these days.
Also, location is a big seller. Fulham have always prospered due to the attraction of the London bright lights.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the problem isn't it. If we keep doing that then eventually we end up with a bang average squad who eventually gets relegated. I think it's really important we don't sell more than one of our star players in the summer (or any summer). People say Brighton are the blueprint, but they're nowhere near the team they were last year - they're one point ahead of us!

Absolutely, obviously it changes if you get offered some of the silly sums Brighton got though…
If RAN and Neto were Brighton players Chelsea would probably offer them £200M for them! Which we also would have to except…

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness Brighton too have suffered with a long list of injuries including their influential winger, Mitoma.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's fine selling a star for a over inflated fee to help invest in a few players.... nobody has a problem with that....the problem comes when you look to sell everybody the minute any decent offer comes in.....(Which we haven't done yet)........but if you do you will just go down eventually like Southampton did.....

Some do take this sell to buy a few steps to far on here.....we are in the toughest league in the world.......

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ben Johnson would be good back up to Semedo but no more than that. Imagine selling RAN and replacing him with a reserve from a team 5 points ahead of you on a free transfer, no thanks!
Thing is with this Semedo ain’t signed a new deal. So are we going to let him walk for no fee? Or sell him and get something and reinvest?

Ben Johnson will get better he’s young but I understand he probably isn’t the same type of player. Long term he maybe better than Semedo and won’t be pushed to the floor from corners. However if we don’t replace players with more quality and squad fillers we are going to have the same issues every season with or without Semedo.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. people hold Brighton up as the template but I would offer up Southampton as the cautionary tale. Brighton have only been good the last two and a bit seasons, before then they were mediocre at best. It remains to be seen if their approach is sustainable over a longer period. You've seen this season a big drop off in their form with a few injuries. They haven't had the players to step up and replace the ones that left and the ones injured.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all would sell Neto for a big fee ....Granted we have had injuries but let's remember we haven't won in the premier league since Neto got injured....that's the reality ....losing him will be hard enough to replace....anymore and we will be in trouble.....

We just can't get away with loads of exits again from the current match day senior squad....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The problem with that "never mind the quality feel the width" approach is that you end up back where Mick was.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with that "never mind the quality feel the width" approach is that you end up back where Mick was.
If you don’t replace quality with quality it’s natural to expect worsening results like you say back to total effort players under mick we relied on 2 players mainly to deliver quality… Jarvis & Fletcher

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you don’t replace quality with quality it’s natural to expect worsening results like you say back to total effort players under mick we relied on 2 players mainly to deliver quality… Jarvis & Fletcher
I'd add Kites but yup.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said it yesterday and I think it’s true - for every Joao Gomes you’ll end up with two Fabio Silva’s.

That’s why we should only accept top dollar. We can’t go out and buy proven Premier League stars like the “big six” can afford with their infinite riches. We have to delve into South America, Portugal, Spain, France where the volatility is a lot higher.

For every star player we sell, we should be able to afford their replacement times two, and then some on top of that.

We have no need to sell in the summer, that pressure is gone now.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is with this Semedo ain’t signed a new deal. So are we going to let him walk for no fee? Or sell him and get something and reinvest?

Ben Johnson will get better he’s young but I understand he probably isn’t the same type of player. Long term he maybe better than Semedo and won’t be pushed to the floor from corners. However if we don’t replace players with more quality and squad fillers we are going to have the same issues every season with or without Semedo.
I have seen very little from Ben Johnson that suggests he'll ever be close to Nelson Semedo's level to be honest.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question for those closer to our scouting network than me. If there is better AND cheaper that our stars; why aren't the bigger clubs scouting them?
Do we think our scouting network is better than City's, Arsenal's Utd's etc...? Past performance would suggest not.
Do we think the larger clubs are just lazy and are prepared to pay over and above, even though they are at risk of FFP/PSR? I doubt it.
Do we think the bigger clubs just want to buy the finished articles, allowing us and Brighton and others to bring talent in and develop it? If that's the case, we won't be replacing our stars with cheaper and BETTER.

Interested what others think as a lot of the comments in this thread don't make any sense (at least to me).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen very little from Ben Johnson that suggests he'll ever be close to Nelson Semedo's level to be honest.
So your saying a 24 year old won’t improve? That’s crazy. 4/6 years to reach Semedos level. Home grown too. He can also play left back. What’s not to like? A lovely cheap option available to us under our new self sustainability model.

Semedo is 31 in November won’t improve any further time to cash in instead of losing him for nothing in 12 months? His wages are reportedly high. No doubting he’s come good for us, but the financial side will talk on this matter you would think.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fear we won't get the money we think for Neto or RAN. I just think the market this summer will be totally different to previous windows. United have a new approach, Chelsea are going to need to sell, City will have money as will Arsenal but they will have their pick of players.

I think both Neto and RAN will go, but I would not expect much more than £70m for the pair. Throw in the on loan players we might clear £100m.

That should be enough to rebuild the squad with 5 or 6 players. Add in Mosqura and Chiquinho and that dramatically increases the depth of the squad.
£70m for Neto and RAN?! One of the most ridiculous comments I have ever heard here. RAN alone is a £70m player on current form and in any case we must keep him- he could easily replace Neto in a more forward role or remain at wing back.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Player recruitment must be a minefield. The ideal situation is that when a player is sold it’s because you plan to sell him, his replacement is already with the club and you are replacing his replacement.

Then you have to overlay contract situations, injuries, form, changes of manager, playing style, FFP, transfer market inflation/deflation, competition for targets, left field things like Saudi. And that’s before you consider the player’s ability to settle in a rural community like Wolverhampton.

It’s great being a fan, sitting here deciding a player’s future and spotting new talent on the internet and arriving a player transfer valuations (never mind the wages).

Hobbs must have this huge chessboard in his office moving players around and having to react to all of those situations 2 or 3 moves ahead of the competition.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, sadly it is the truth. I dont know how you could say its nonsense tbh. Its just the way the game is. We are an average premier league side at the end of the day. If Arsenal, Citeh, United, Liverpool, probably even Chelsea or Newcastle tbh come in for our players with a fair offer, there is going to be an expectation from the player that the bid will be accepted. Its more than likely how we convince players to come here, promising them we wont stand in their way if a fair offer comes in and they want to go.

We arent even the same club we were in our first couple of years under Nuno where we were in and around Europe. Our whole model has changed since covid. We cant offer European football, the Mendes well has dried up so all we can offer good players who sign for us is the opportunity to get themselves a good move if they perform. As much as people may want to think otherwise, as a club we have very little power if one of the big boys wants our players and they want the move. Playing hardball simply isnt going to work.
Blimey if you were President of Ukraine then that country would have laid down their arms 10 days into the Russian invasion.
Your small time vision is the kind of philosophy that will doom the club to a return to the Championship. Sorry but It is defeatist and pathetic.

Of course from time to time when a big enough offer comes in for a player it can make sense to re-cycle that money into squad strengthening. But that does not mean that any time a larger club shows interest in one of our players we should hold our hands up and say 'I surrender'.

If Fosun decide to retreat then that is another matter. But they want Premier League status and surely know that to hold on to a core of your best players is
vital to achieve this. Replacing with better or equal players is increasingly difficult . Look at the disaster of replacing Jota with Silva. So the best need to be on long contracts and good money. There is no reason why we can't challenge for Europa league places in the future if we hold on to the likes of Ait-Nouri, Cunha and Gomes and build a team around them.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So your saying a 24 year old won’t improve? That’s crazy. 4/6 years to reach Semedos level. Home grown too. He can also play left back. What’s not to like? A lovely cheap option available to us under our new self sustainability model.

Semedo is 31 in November won’t improve any further time to cash in instead of losing him for nothing in 12 months? His wages are reportedly high. No doubting he’s come good for us, but the financial side will talk on this matter you would think.
I'm not saying he won't improve, I'm saying "I have seen very little from Ben Johnson that suggests he'll ever be close to Nelson Semedo's level".

As I said previously, as a squad player sure but to replace RAN (or Semedo) no chance. If that is the level of replacement we'll be looking at, we'll be in trouble sooner rather than later.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question for those closer to our scouting network than me. If there is better AND cheaper that our stars; why aren't the bigger clubs scouting them?
Do we think our scouting network is better than City's, Arsenal's Utd's etc...? Past performance would suggest not.
Do we think the larger clubs are just lazy and are prepared to pay over and above, even though they are at risk of FFP/PSR? I doubt it.
Do we think the bigger clubs just want to buy the finished articles, allowing us and Brighton and others to bring talent in and develop it? If that's the case, we won't be replacing our stars with cheaper and BETTER.

Interested what others think as a lot of the comments in this thread don't make any sense (at least to me).
There is an element of risk with any signing. Man United may have rated Gomes highly internally before we signed him for example, but a club like Man United can afford to let clubs like Wolves, Brighton etc. take the chance on developing them, and they don’t care about paying the premium, because they make quadruple our revenue every year.

It’s a vicious cycle. You develop top players, and you eventually lose them. Albeit for big money, but replacing them is not easy. Eventually you have some bad luck, you sign a Guedes for example that was supposed to work out, and struggle to replace those top players.

I would say vast majority of cases the likes of Southampton, Brighton, Leicester have regressed after losing their star players, despite making a fortune selling them in the first place.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that we have done very well with "direct replacements" in the last few years after selling or losing a top player. Neves out, Gomes in... plus profit. Moutinho out, Lemina in... minimal cost (probably profit when taking wages into account). Jota out, Neto in... plus profit....

I know it's not as simple as that (eg Neto wasn't bought after selling Jota, but he can still be considered a replacement), but we have tended to do pretty well replacing seemingly irreplaceable players.

Be honest everyone... who thought the direct replacements for Neves, Moutinho and Jota would cost a fraction of the fees we recieved for them and be an improvement in a very short space of time? Arguably, that is the case... so we should be confident if we lose say Neto, RAN, or heaven forbid Gomes or Cunha, that we will bring in quality replacements.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that we have done very well with "direct replacements" in the last few years after selling or losing a top player. Neves out, Gomes in... plus profit. Moutinho out, Lemina in... minimal cost (probably profit when taking wages into account). Jota out, Neto in... plus profit....

I know it's not as simple as that (eg Neto wasn't bought after selling Jota, but he can still be considered a replacement), but we have tended to do pretty well replacing seemingly irreplaceable players.

Be honest everyone... who thought the direct replacements for Neves, Moutinho and Jota would cost a fraction of the fees we recieved for them and be an improvement in a very short space of time? Arguably, that is the case... so we should be confident if we lose say Neto, RAN, or heaven forbid Gomes or Cunha, that we will bring in quality replacements.
There’s an element of risk with every signing, especially in the markets we’re fishing in. Eventually you run out of luck, and instead of replacing Neves with Gomes, you’re replacing Neto with a Guedes or a Silva.

Brighton have regressed (somewhat), Southampton eventually went down but were the “sell-to-buy” model for a long time, and Leicester also sold at top dollar but still eventually regressed from struggling to replace the players they sold.

I’m not suggesting we can keep everyone unconditionally, but we should be careful about how many we lose each year from that category of “hard to replace” because eventually we will regress from struggling to replace them.

No reason we shouldn’t be demanding well above “market value” for our best players, thats the only way you can even attempt to hold parity with the “big six”.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You conveniently forgot to mention £77m down the drain with Silva,Sasa and Guedes.
Those failures could have cost us dear through relegation had GON not done such a great job.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all would sell Neto for a big fee ....Granted we have had injuries but let's remember we haven't won in the premier league since Neto got injured....that's the reality ....losing him will be hard enough to replace....anymore and we will be in trouble.....

We just can't get away with loads of exits again from the current match day senior squad....

We beat Fulham when he got his last injury didn't we?

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There’s an element of risk with every signing, especially in the markets we’re fishing in. Eventually you run out of luck, and instead of replacing Neves with Gomes, you’re replacing Neto with a Guedes or a Silva.

Brighton have regressed (somewhat), Southampton eventually went down but were the “sell-to-buy” model for a long time, and Leicester also sold at top dollar but still eventually regressed from struggling to replace the players they sold.

I’m not suggesting we can keep everyone unconditionally, but we should be careful about how many we lose each year from that category of “hard to replace” because eventually we will regress from struggling to replace them.

No reason we shouldn’t be demanding well above “market value” for our best players, thats the only way you can even attempt to hold parity with the “big six”.

Absolutely true, of course.... but we have a pretty good track record, even taking into account the Guedes' of this world.

I would suggest the good track record indicates we are doing something right, rather than being lucky - but there is never certainty and a club in our position can't sustain two or three bits of "bad luck" when it comes to transfers.

The Man Utds and the Chelseas can afford to gamble and if they end up overpaying for an Anthony or a Fernandez they can take the hit and move on.

For Wolves, both our short term success and long term success hinges on how good our transfer business is - we need to get it right time and time again.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's fine selling a star for a over inflated fee to help invest in a few players.... nobody has a problem with that....the problem comes when you look to sell everybody the minute any decent offer comes in.....(Which we haven't done yet)........but if you do you will just go down eventually like Southampton did.....

Some do take this sell to buy a few steps to far on here.....we are in the toughest league in the world.......
The key is having a pipeline/succession plan…. Selling Jota was ok as we had Neto to take his place; actually Neves had been covered by the time he left. It often doesn’t work if you sell a key player thinking you can replace him cheaply by buying in, the cheaper players need time to develop/adapt .

IF chiqinho could replace Neto and Bueno RAN that would be fine… but I don’t quite think they can.
RAN as Neto’s “in house” replacement might well work though.

Back
Top Bottom