Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Ait-Nouri can be/is our Neto replacement.

I’m always a bit sceptical about just moving a players position but he can do everything we need.

His ability to beat a player is incredible and in a 4/5 game spell we’re talking about pretty incredible contributions (or should have been).

He scored three, a great assist against Coventry, won a penalty against West Ham.

Don’t forget, this is all for what is a pretty poor team on the whole due to the injuries.

And, he missed two sitters that you’d like to think wouldn’t happen again. This also shows he has a knack of getting in the right position.

Either way, that’s more goals in a month than Neto, who is brilliant, managed in 19 games this season.

He’s a great left-back/wing-back but if he can do this consistently as a forward, you’re adding so much more to his value.

I’d play him in that role for the rest of the season and see how it goes.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disrespectful in my opinion and he wasnt always crap either. He wasnt perfect but he certainly wasnt always crap.
Had one very good season with Raul. That’s when they both peaked.

He was entertaining more so than some others. Played part in double over City. He wasn’t perfect and if he was he wouldn’t of been at Wolves.

Madmalc

Reaction score
There are only 4 clubs in the Prem with lower ticket prices than us,so to say we are somehow over pricing is a bit lame
While i agree ticket prices are a small part of the overall financial picture,we are not being ripped off in comparison to others
Agreed the last time I looked there was still a waiting list for season tickets and the more enjoyable football to watch, this season, will have only lengthened the queue.
Also, if the club doesn't put ticket prices up there's no gauge to say if a new stadium would ever pay back the cost of building it.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I really hope we keep RAN for another season and see him in a freer more attacking role which will not just excite the fans, but will hugely assist Cubha and Hwang.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think sadly we'll sell Neto, RAN .......and Gomes this Summer.

We don't need to sell all three but once the " Big " clubs come calling, it will be very hard to keep them.

Of all our first XI players I think Kilman is the most expendable.....I think strengthening our central defence should be a priority.
We are a player trading club. Thats the business model. At the right price, any of our players will be off, to be replaced by other players we can develop and flick off. Rinse and repeat.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are only 4 clubs in the Prem with lower ticket prices than us,so to say we are somehow over pricing is a bit lame
While i agree ticket prices are a small part of the overall financial picture,we are not being ripped off in comparison to others

Where have you got this from?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where have you got this from?
There was a chart on one of the threads,forget which one now
Only 4 clubs had cheaper cheap tickets than us and similar for the higher cost tickets
No idea where the chart came from but im sure it tells you if you can find it
When i looked last season we were about 14th on pricing if i recall correctly

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Che Adams
Tommy Conway
Yuri Alberto
Boulaye Dia
Mohamed Amoura
Jonas Wind
Jhon Arias
Ansu Fati

Some of the forwards linked recently & previously.

Hoping it is safe to say we might be looking to address the forward issue regardless of who leaves us

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only 4 clubs had cheaper cheap tickets than us and similar for the higher cost tickets
I checked the ones from the Athletic article, which there was a thread on, and we're not fourth lowest at all.

There's about eight teams who offer cheaper match tickets. There are six who offer cheaper season tickets.

It's also misleading as we (IMO deliberately) introduced a season ticket in the Graham Hughes Stand for the exact reason that we can appear lower on graphs like this than we really are.

If you want a season ticket with a roof over your head, there are 13(!) clubs with cheaper options out there.

Our ticket pricing is disgraceful, but I would agree with your initial point that most of the league are bad as well, even if not as bad as us.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately I’d say he’s unlikely to play football again. His mental health is far too fragile for it now, he’s clearly a troubled lad and should probably just retire, get all the help he needs and stay out the spotlight
He's made a statement in an interview that he's got an alarm for the 2026 World.Cup!!! That's obviously ridiculous to the rest of us, but does show he still harbours ambitions of not just playing, but having success.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deli Ali free agent. Would you take a risk?
Could do worse. The problem for me would be a) wages and b) injury record. Wages might be less of a problem if he doesn't have somewhere to go.

He is a quality player, although clearly has problems mentally and physically (the former not of his own making) and would need good management. Is very motivated to get back to playing at the top level (wants to be at World Cup 26, whether he can with all of the talent England have there is kind of moot).

GON would seem to be ideal as a manager to get him playing and performing. He was one of England's best players at Russia 2018 and class is permanent.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's made a statement in an interview that he's got an alarm for the 2026 World.Cup!!! That's obviously ridiculous to the rest of us, but does show he still harbours ambitions of not just playing, but having success.
I hope he proves me wrong because I think he was a tremendous player at his peak. He’s just been through the wringer medically and mentally and due to his previous high ceiling there will be a lot of pressure on him mentally (from outside and undoubtedly from himself) for him to overcome.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dele Alli didn't fully remember that Everton were two down against Palace (said 'I think') and it's one of their most iconic results in recent years, and he even came on in the game. He then didn't know where they played Arsenal after.

He spent the first hour saying 'they' about a club who pay him £100,000 a week!

I know you don't need to be a football nut to play the game, and he may have been nervous on TV, but it wasn't a good look in terms of highlighting his commitment to the cause.

I have huge sympathy with him for his interview with Neville and what he went through, and he also comes across well as an individual. But I would not offer him a contract unless it was almost a no-lose situation for us, such as pay as you play, cheap wages anyway, short-term and it's hard to see why he would accept that, although he may have to as I can't see him getting any serious offers.

His TV appearance was a reminder that he's still a player. It will be interesting to see what happens next in his career though. He hasn't done anything for 3/4 years but still only 28.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I checked the ones from the Athletic article, which there was a thread on, and we're not fourth lowest at all.

There's about eight teams who offer cheaper match tickets. There are six who offer cheaper season tickets.

It's also misleading as we (IMO deliberately) introduced a season ticket in the Graham Hughes Stand for the exact reason that we can appear lower on graphs like this than we really are.

If you want a season ticket with a roof over your head, there are 13(!) clubs with cheaper options out there.

Our ticket pricing is disgraceful, but I would agree with your initial point that most of the league are bad as well, even if not as bad as us.
On the chart i saw we definitely not 7th highest no where near
I wouldnt argue that we were around the 13th in the list,but the chart that was shown had us a lot lower and on average around 15th
As you say charts like this dont tell the whole story and differ greatly though so im not disputing either tbh

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dele Alli didn't fully remember that Everton were two down against Palace (said 'I think') and it's one of their most iconic results in recent years, and he even came on in the game. He then didn't know where they played Arsenal after.

I know you don't need to be a football nut to play the game, and he may have been nervous on TV, but it wasn't a good look in terms of highlighting his commitment to the cause.

I have huge sympathy with him for his interview with Neville and what he went through, and he also comes across well as an individual. But I would not offer him a contract unless it was almost a no-lose situation for us, such as pay as you play, cheap wages anyway, short-term and it's hard to see why he would accept that, although he may have to as I can't see him getting any serious offers.

His TV appearance was a reminder that he's still a player. It will be interesting to see what happens next in his career though. He hasn't done anything for 3/4 years but still only 28.
Probably not of the same scope as Alli is more fragile, but Barkley is a good example of a decent player who lost his way then came back.

I think I would agree. Worth the risk, but only on terms that would mean we weren't having a bad time of it. If he is motivated then he would likely get on board with that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

From a physical point of view I think you’d want him to see him training for a few weeks before any sort of deal because as you say 3/4 years out realistically (granted he’s played some games) is a long time. Totally right it would need to be heavily weighted in our favour as (I take no pleasure in saying this) but he can’t be trusted on a proper contract right now. As I say he’s been one of my favourite players and one I thought at one point would be doing what Bellingham is now. For his own sake his mental health needs to be at the forefront of any realistic return to football.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m always a bit sceptical about just moving a players position but he can do everything we need.

His ability to beat a player is incredible and in a 4/5 game spell we’re talking about pretty incredible contributions (or should have been).

He scored three, a great assist against Coventry, won a penalty against West Ham.

Don’t forget, this is all for what is a pretty poor team on the whole due to the injuries.

And, he missed two sitters that you’d like to think wouldn’t happen again. This also shows he has a knack of getting in the right position.

Either way, that’s more goals in a month than Neto, who is brilliant, managed in 19 games this season.

He’s a great left-back/wing-back but if he can do this consistently as a forward, you’re adding so much more to his value.

RAN is where Cunha was with respect to finishing last season. Hopefully whatever coaching enabled Cunha to progress can be repeated....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could do worse. The problem for me would be a) wages and b) injury record. Wages might be less of a problem if he doesn't have somewhere to go.

He is a quality player, although clearly has problems mentally and physically (the former not of his own making) and would need good management. Is very motivated to get back to playing at the top level (wants to be at World Cup 26, whether he can with all of the talent England have there is kind of moot).

GON would seem to be ideal as a manager to get him playing and performing. He was one of England's best players at Russia 2018 and class is permanent.
Re your last three words see Ross Barkley at Luton. It would be a hell of a risk, and any contract would have to be carefully written, but the potential rewards are large. He has the merit of being home-grown too.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a physical point of view I think you’d want him to see him training for a few weeks before any sort of deal because as you say 3/4 years out realistically (granted he’s played some games) is a long time. Totally right it would need to be heavily weighted in our favour as (I take no pleasure in saying this) but he can’t be trusted on a proper contract right now. As I say he’s been one of my favourite players and one I thought at one point would be doing what Bellingham is now. For his own sake his mental health needs to be at the forefront of any realistic return to football.

I have sympathy for him, but given we are likely to retain a relatively small squad where everyone ideally needs to be fit, ready and competitive, I don’t think we should be the club to help him regain his form. He’s certainly talented, and Barkley is a good example of someone who’s come good after being largely given up on, but I just think we need players who are ready to perform, whether young or more experienced.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sell Neto, Gomes, RAN & Kilman we are looking at decent money maybe £200m when you add in the likes of Fabio,Podence, Guedes and others that we actually want to sell on….

Unfortunately that would really rip the quality this out of this team. We would have to buy quality or be tipped for the drop again.

That’s where hobbs and his crew make their money proving us wrong.

South American market we could do whatever we wanted which would be rather interesting
The thing is though every transfer is a gamble. A proven player is worth more to the spine of the team so we can build bit by bit. If the star players all go at the same time at best it would take time to gel the new players together.
When maybe players like Doyle, Traore etc. establish themselves we can be more flexible.
I helieve we have to build on GON furthering his shaping the wquad. He has already worked miracles with a lesser squad than the overrate Lope.
Fingers crossed.:)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have sympathy for him, but given we are likely to retain a relatively small squad where everyone ideally needs to be fit, ready and competitive, I don’t think we should be the club to help him regain his form. He’s certainly talented, and Barkley is a good example of someone who’s come good after being largely given up on, but I just think we need players who are ready to perform, whether young or more experienced.
That’s why I don’t think anything but a “pay as you play” deal should be done.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's 2 players maximum, if we sell 4 or 5 of our best players at once it would be very difficult to survive in the Premier league no matter how many replacements we get in with the money.
I'm assuming Neto will go for decent money even with his injury record. Cunha I think is most unlikely as we'd want big money for him given what he cost.
RAN might but again it will take a big offer.
Kilman is a possibility if anyone comes in with a 40m bid. Think the big boys will want to see how Gomes progresses next season before they lay big money out.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we stick with the 343 system I’d keep him as the left wingback (when we have enough fit forwards) however if we ever moved to a 433 I agree he could be ideal as one of the wide forwards.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just read a BBC article about Deli Alli. Says he sees 'light at the end of the tunnel' and is 'targeting the 2026 world cup with England'.

Bless. He is plagued by hip and groin injuries, rarely features for Everton, his form has fallen off a cliff and looks lazy and uninterested even when fit.

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Disrespectful in my opinion and he wasnt always crap either. He wasnt perfect but he certainly wasnt always crap.

A big part of the best 2 seasons for Wolves in my lifetime. Lovely, lovely bloke to boot. Disrespectful is an understatement. Not surprising from someone seemingly happy to offload Neto for half his value.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to stick my neck out here, in the past we've held onto players too long and not cashed in on them at the optimum time. Players such as Neves, Traore, Raul, jump to mind immediately. On the flip side we've done well with Jota and Nunes.

All that in mind (and my heart bleeds to say this) I do think that we may need to take the money and run on the following as they are at their peak with us in terms of value right now.

Chunha - c£65m
Hwang - c£25m
Neto - c£60m
Kilman - c£30m
Ait-Nouri - c£40m
Gomes - c£50m

We could twist and go again but who knows what's around the corner.

The sentimental fan inside me would be in pieces to see these go, but as Brighton have shown its all about succession planning and as long as we have replacements lined up in a similar way to how we've recruited these players (no repeat of 2020) then that's over around £270m if there are buyers out there.

Stands back and awaits incoming.........
That's the name of the game now for a club like us, and along with VAR and FFP is the reason I am rapidly losing interest in football.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read a BBC article about Deli Alli. Says he sees 'light at the end of the tunnel' and is 'targeting the 2026 world cup with England'.

Bless. He is plagued by hip and groin injuries, rarely features for Everton, his form has fallen off a cliff and looks lazy and uninterested even when fit.

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.
You miss the fact he’s had significant mental health issues as well, that may explain why he looks lazy and uninterested to you

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You miss the fact he’s had significant mental health issues as well, that may explain why he looks lazy and uninterested to you
If he accepted a pay as you play / stay fit contract… Some may take a final chance on him?

Highly doubt he would take that option, maybe Saudi awaits him some big money. Wish him good luck. Such a talent. Did he hit the heights too soon? Was his last career goal against us? The 0-1 spurs won where we murdered them Lage era. He scored a pen I think

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Article in the Gaurdian (13th April) by Paul Macinnes

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RAN is pretty similar to Mahrez so would be strange if they wanted another Mahrez having binned him off.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
We are a player trading club. Thats the business model. At the right price, any of our players will be off, to be replaced by other players we can develop and flick off. Rinse and repeat.
Yes absolutely. Think those football leaks had some correspondence to this effect before Fosun realised that they would need to buy a club to do player trading.

What I was thinking - probably naively as usual! - is a cup run to Wembley for the FA cup with the right marketing in China, South Korea etc would generate a lot of merchandise sales, following the brand etc. Just thought January window could have been about us throwing ourselves into that venture - I think we spread our bets in the end, understandable.

I'm getting all romantic - dreaming is for free, Jeff!

Madmalc

Reaction score

I remember when Brian Clough took Derby up to the first division in the 1970's not only did they put the prices up, but season ticket holders were told to pay for 2 years in one hit to give Cloughie a war chest to remain in the top flight.

Are their any mixers who would be happy to pay for 2 years season tickets to improve this Summers signings?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when Brian Clough took Derby up to the first division in the 1970's not only did they put the prices up, but season ticket holders were told to pay for 2 years in one hit to give Cloughie a war chest to remain in the top flight.

Are their any mixers who would be happy to pay for 2 years season tickets to improve this Summers signings?
Different world.

If they charge 20,000 season ticket holders an extra £50 it brings in £1m.

We spent £13m on agents. We spend £1m on Luke Matheson. We could go on. A price rise for any Premier League club is pure greed.

Last edited:

Madmalc

Reaction score
Are we the only player trading club though.
Aren't the so called Sky 6 player trading teams as well?
They buy expensive players and can sell them at a loss.
We do the same, Adama, Raul, are examples. Fabio, Guedes and Podence may soon be as well.
They recruit youngsters and sell them for a profit, and not normally as successfully as we did with MGW.

Back
Top Bottom