Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In spite of Shi......... and thanks to Mendes.
No doubt Mendes was the catalyst to begin with, he got us players we wouldn't have had a chance of getting without his influence. However, the Mendes well dried up in 2020 and resultedly he put us in the mess that resulted in the likes of Silva and Guedes. That almost cost us dearly last season.

I think we have a better balance now, and this "turning of the tide" is in large part thanks to Matt Hobbs. I still think we can use the Mendes link to benefit us when the right player becomes available, but the over dependence on his clientele is definitely what drove us into last summer's mess. We aren't (hopefully) forcing it any more.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate to think this but I can see Neto , RAN , Cunha and Gomes all going in the summer. That would generate best part of £200m
Then the clear out of Silva , Guedes , Podence , Chiquinho …. Hopefully another £30m
Then Jeff will give GON and Hobbs £150m back to get the replacements in
This then sorts out any possible FFP problems plus I’m confident GON can get us adequate replacements to keep us up
And that’s our bag isn’t it ? Survival and keep the prem money rolling in
Reality as I see it
That's about as good as it gets, with the odd cup run thrown in, which is a better life than the vast majority of clubs in England and Wales.

We're okay for survival next season when considering how awful the likes of Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Saints are. None of those are as good as Burnley.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This has to be a load of tripe. As others have said we could not pick up a phone. Loads will just use this to bash Shi again now.

If we were all led to believe we had no money in the summer, makes more sense that we had to sell to buy like others have said and we had no money to complete the transfer.
On one hand it's sport witness, no direct quotes and basically conjecture.

On the other hand, Jeff Shi did disappear back to China for ages, we didn't sign anyone, lost out on Gyökeres and Alex Scott and left our manager so fed up he (quite rightly) decided the deception and lack of transparency was too extreme for him to feel he could work in that environment.

I'm inclined to think there's probably some truth in it. I'm guessing there were decisions that needed to be made regarding what to do next and Shi needed to ensure the top brass were on board with what he was doing, the result of which took precedence over spending another penny until the direction of travel was decided, regardless of whether we would definitely have got Gyökeres or not (which is a moot point anyway)

Last edited:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody has said Fosun have taken us backwards.
Well, it depends on the time frame over which you judge them. Of course, their overall performance has been incredibly positive and we've all enjoyed the fruits of it, but I don't think it's completely fair to judge anything over the course of it's tenure without also recognising short and medium term regression and trends - there are plenty of aspects of the club (not just on the field) where we've either stood still whilst others around us have improved, or objectively gone backwards

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are the best times in 40 years, let's not forget that! It's a strange thing, isn't it? We loved Nuno, then turned on him when he needed support the most. England a the most successful for decades, yet everyone wants Southgate out. We have the most successful times as Wolves fans most of us have ever had, yet our owners don't care enough to give us more.
Feed me! Poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, and the king ain't satisfied till he rules everything
Please don't sell RAN or Gomes, though...

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I’m sure I remember at the time it was widely reported and excepted that the player himself had a preference to go to sporting. Which was basically the end of it.
This has the ring of the Olmo argument, why didn't we buy that player who didn't want to come?

Even after selling Nunes we'd have had to spend our entire budget on him, even if he would have come. That would have meant no Santi Bueno and going into the season with 3 CHs - none of who look very comfortable in a 2!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are the best times in 40 years, let's not forget that! It's a strange thing, isn't it? We loved Nuno, then turned on him when he needed support the most. England a the most successful for decades, yet everyone wants Southgate out. We have the most successful times as Wolves fans most of us have ever had, yet our owners don't care enough to give us more.
Feed me! Poor man wann be rich, rich man wanna be king, and the king ain't satisfied till he rules everything
Please don't sell RAN or Gomes, though...
Who are these we who supposedly turned on Nuno? As l recall it the vast majority were solidly behind him. I think that the issue with Southgate is a general feeling that, given the players available, another manager would have done better and actually won things.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who are these we who supposedly turned on Nuno? As l recall it the vast majority were solidly behind him. I think that the issue with Southgate is a general feeling that, given the players available, another manager would have done better and actually won things.
You've been on here a while, plenty on here turned against him, and Fosun

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Well, it depends on the time frame over which you judge them. Of course, their overall performance has been incredibly positive and we've all enjoyed the fruits of it, but I don't think it's completely fair to judge anything over the course of it's tenure without also recognising short and medium term regression and trends - there are plenty of aspects of the club (not just on the field) where we've either stood still whilst others around us have improved, or objectively gone backwards
Agree, lots of people forget too that our first year under Fosun wasn’t great, some poor signings and managers. Got it right for a few years with Nuno/Thelwell/Dalrymple in charge, Covid hit and things went downhill, now with O’Neil/Hobbs things seem to be moving in the right direction again. I guess as fans our opinion of the owners will always be decided by what’s happening on the pitch. The points people used in the summer to criticise Fosun are probably still valid but because we’re 9th in the league they don’t get said so much.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've been on here a while, plenty on here turned against him, and Fosun
Some did, I agree, but my sense was that it was a small, albeit admittedly highly, vocal minority. The irony of it is those who bewail the consequences of their actions.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
On one hand it's sport witness, no direct quotes and basically conjecture.

On the other hand, Jeff Shi did disappear back to China for ages, we didn't sign anyone, lost out on Gyökeres and Alex Scott and left our manager so fed up he (quite rightly) decided the deception and lack of transparency was too extreme for him to feel he could work in that environment.

I'm inclined to think there's probably some truth in it. I'm guessing there were decisions that needed to be made regarding what to do next and Shi needed to ensure the top brass were on board with what he was doing, the result of which took precedence over spending another penny until the direction of travel was decided, regardless of whether we would definitely have got Gyökeres or not (which is a moot point anyway)
Not disputing he did vanish as we all know he did. Unless we're privy to the private working of the club. Its all conjecture. We all knew that we had no money for players and the goalposts were obviously changed on JLO from when he signed his deal. Shi obviously had to get money signed off or had to find out what the actual financial situation wa before we made any incomings.

Sport witness are not reliable. The time of this being released and content for me are not believable at all in my opinion in the manner it is written. That he was not contactable? Makes more sense that we had the deal lined up like we did with Scott if what we were lead to believe is true and funds were not released. Thus meaning we could not go through with the signing.

I would still rather be where we are now with Fosun. Even though they are unpredictable at times, then where we were before they took over with the scouse builder

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's about as good as it gets, with the odd cup run thrown in, which is a better life than the vast majority of clubs in England and Wales.

We're okay for survival next season when considering how awful the likes of Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Saints are. None of those are as good as Burnley.
Can't say that Leeds, Ipswich or Leicester have been good hunting grounds for us of late.
As for Burnley, I'll only agree with you if we go to Turf Moor in a couple of weeks time and for once get something out of it. :)

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not the same thing at all

Lot of apologists out this morning, with short memories
Well, you seem to have forgotten life in the Football League. :tearsofjoy:
Did you prefer the Pie-man and Morgan being in charge. Or Sir Jack whose purse slammed shut the same day we won the 2003 play-off?

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
I see MGW is being linked with a big money move away from Forest.

Please tell me we inserted a sell-on clause.
Could be a nice little windfall.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest would make more profit on murillo than Gibbs-white but a couple of million won't hurt.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see MGW ending up at Fulham - a bit of freedom in the way they play, he gets his dose of London flash, and they're one of the few teams who will probably still have some cash in pocket this summer, especially if they move Paulinha on.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see MGW ending up at Fulham - a bit of freedom in the way they play, he gets his dose of London flash, and they're one of the few teams who will probably still have some cash in pocket this summer, especially if they move Paulinha on.
I know he doesn't get to chose who bids on him, but I'd suspect his ego wouldn't be keen on lowly Fulham. As one of Forest's better players I would bet he's hoping to get a similar move to Johnson last summer.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate to think this but I can see Neto , RAN , Cunha and Gomes all going in the summer. That would generate best part of £200m
Then the clear out of Silva , Guedes , Podence , Chiquinho …. Hopefully another £30m
Then Jeff will give GON and Hobbs £150m back to get the replacements in
This then sorts out any possible FFP problems plus I’m confident GON can get us adequate replacements to keep us up
And that’s our bag isn’t it ? Survival and keep the prem money rolling in
Reality as I see it
Reality as you see it eh Rosey! ;) you do love an overly negative slant don’t you. Almost like you do it on purpose... I would be very surprised if we lost all of the first 4, surprised if it was 3, and probably expecting 2..... where you are being overly optimistic is re knowing Hobbs will be given 3/4 of the incoming money to spend..... ;) :)

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he doesn't get to chose who bids on him, but I'd suspect his ego wouldn't be keen on lowly Fulham. As one of Forest's better players I would bet he's hoping to get a similar move to Johnson last summer.
Yep. Couldn’t agree more.
To be fair to him, as much as I think he’s an odious person, he’s done better than I ever thought he would and a move to a Spursy type club is probably a natural next career step. I think he’d fall flat on his **** but hey, that’s life.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Couldn’t agree more.
To be fair to him, as much as I think he’s an odious person, he’s done better than I ever thought he would and a move to a Spursy type club is probably a natural next career step. I think he’d fall flat on his **** but hey, that’s life.
Im certainly no fan, but I suspect he'd do OK at one of the bigger clubs

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Article reaffirms my point about mosquera defintiely in first team and gary lined him up so

guedes and podence up in the air, but more likely podence is off, although he was very liked by alot of players. so who knows, it was JL he fell out with

Back
Top Bottom