Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we can sell millions of players lose and gain a manager whilst Jeff is in china but no one can pick up a phone or do a bacs transfer? Meanwhile we’re making bids on Alex Scott but then have no money
Obviously expecting some fosun investment that didn’t happen.
I’m sure I remember at the time it was widely reported and excepted that the player himself had a preference to go to sporting. Which was basically the end of it.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure I remember at the time it was widely reported and excepted that the player himself had a preference to go to sporting. Which was basically the end of it.
Well he couldn’t come here if we couldn’t pay him/them?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well he couldn’t come here if we couldn’t pay him/them?
Impossible for us to know the exact financial situation, he went for pretty much the same as the limit of our reported bidding for Scott. So who knows…..

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This isn't true. He is quoted as saying he feels 'at home' in England

Saying he feels at home in England doesn’t exclude the possibility he had a preference for sporting. I’m sure Harry Kane felt at home in England! He moved to Germany…

I’m not 100% certain my recollection is correct, I half remember it because I found it hard to believe he would choose the Portuguese league over a chance in the prem, and he probably wouldn’t have even needed to move house to play for us….

It probably was a case of us not being able or willing to spend the money. As I said initially, we were probably dragging it out waiting on sales. It just is possible Portugal was the players preference therefore he had no inclination to wait for us.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Could be true of course.

Plenty of evidence to show you how bad Shi's judgement is running the club.

He has had a few lapses of judgment but done pretty well all in all. Fosun not exactly taken us backwards despite all the gripes we have with them regards certain subjects. But, I just do not believe that we were after a player and he did not have his phone on

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can’t see us keeping Semado as a second choice.
Also I hope we give Chiquinho a chance, I think he could potentially be very useful as an impact sub, possibly even in the wingback position.
Similarly there is no way that Sa is staying as second choice.
Semedo wouldn't necessarily be first or second choice, it's just him and Rodrigo Gomes would be the RWB options and with Gomes' adaptability helping other areas of the squad too.

Same with Svilar, Sa has plenty of small injury issues (back, wrist etc) and Bentley just isn't good enough to capitalise- Jose needs some genuine first-team competition.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He has had a few lapses of judgment but done pretty well all in all. Fosun not exactly taken us backwards despite all the gripes we have with them regards certain subjects. But, I just do not believe that we were after a player and he did not have his phone on
Nobody has said Fosun have taken us backwards.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It probably was a case of us not being able or willing to spend the money. As I said initially, we were probably dragging it out waiting on sales. It just is possible Portugal was the players preference therefore he had no inclination to wait for us.

Could be Jeff didn't want to/ couldn't sanction it, which is what the article alleges in a roundabout way.

Guess we will never know what happened but it is categorical to say we missed the opportunity to sign him when it was there.

I would argue the previous financial management cost us this opportunity. Wouldn't you say it's fair to say Jeff Shi is at fault for that?

Reactions: Ian

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be Jeff didn't want to/ couldn't sanction it, which is what the article alleges in a roundabout way.

Guess we will never know what happened but it is categorical to say we missed the opportunity to sign him when it was there.

I would argue the previous financial management cost us this opportunity. Wouldn't you say it's fair to say Jeff Shi is at fault for that?
With the benefit of hindsight it is certainly fair to say we should have signed Gyokeres last summer rather than Guedes the summer before…

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I would say couldn’t rather than wouldn’t whether that’s because of previous poor purchases or fosuns own finances or CCP clamp down who knows, the same with suddenly not having money for Scott.
however Jeff has a much lower profile these days and a lot of his responsibilities are now Hobbs be interesting to see what happens in the summer, a sideways move has been on the cards for a while.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't get the stampeed for this Rodrigo Gomes at the minute.....yes he might turn out a good buy but I would rather secure a couple of strikers first...we are ok at wing back...

For me the priority should be a striker in the mould of say En Nesryri.....But I would also be looking for a back striker in the mould of a Josh Sargent type before I spent any money on a wing back.......

For me that needs to be the priority before anything else.....

Obviously we don't know the fee but if the rumoured 8-15m is right for Rodrigo Gomes we should be getting one of Braga best players not a kid they have out on loan......I would be using that money for a back up striker...

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the fact that Hugo bueno, Santiago bueno, boubacar traore don't kick off about sitting on the bench. Compare them to sasa and fabio.
Whatever we do next year we have to have a strong bench. Every other team has a strong bench.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't get the stampeed for this Rodrigo Gomes at the minute.....yes he might turn out a good buy but I would rather secure a couple of strikers first...we are ok at wing back...

For me the priority should be a striker in the mould of say En Nesryri.....But I would also be looking for a back striker in the mould of a Josh Sargent type before I spent any money on a wing back.......

For me that needs to be the priority before anything else.....

Obviously we don't know the fee but if the rumoured 8-15m is right for Rodrigo Gomes we should be getting one of Braga best players not a kid they have out on loan......I would be using that money for a back up striker...
"kid they have out on loan" is a bit unfair, he's playing at the same level as them and doing well! I get what you're saying though. It doesn't feel as important as a striker, or indeed multiple forwards. Perhaps Nelson doesn't want to extend and the club want to cash in while his stock is high, and get his big wages off the bill. In that sense, I think eyeing up a replacement makes sense, especially one that's proven quite prolific at wingback.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"kid they have out on loan" is a bit unfair, he's playing at the same level as them and doing well! I get what you're saying though. It doesn't feel as important as a striker, or indeed multiple forwards. Perhaps Nelson doesn't want to extend and the club want to cash in while his stock is high, and get his big wages off the bill. In that sense, I think eyeing up a replacement makes sense, especially one that's proven quite prolific at wingback.
Not saying I wouldn't sign him but he wouldn't be anywhere near a priority...a luxury yes.......some are putting him ahead of semedo which is funny ...I don't see any kid playing for Estoril making an immediate impact on the premier league.. In time yes but not straight away....

2 strikers should be the priority for me....we don't want to spend on a back up wing back and then be struggling for money or penny pinching when it comes to forwards.....

I would be looking at spending say 18/25m on one and 8/15m on another.....if fact I would prioritise the back up first , get him in early doors as we might struggle tempting one if we get the first choice in first and be held to ransom by clubs as we are seen as desperate for a first choice...

With money being tight we need to prioritise this summer....strikers first..... anything else is a luxury after.....squad size was fine for the first half of the season...Saza n Fabio need replacing....at the minute we are fine or ok everywhere else..

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying I wouldn't sign him but he wouldn't be anywhere near a priority...a luxury yes.......some are putting him ahead of semedo which is funny ...I don't see any kid playing for Estoril making an immediate impact on the premier league.. In time yes but not straight away....

2 strikers should be the priority for me....we don't want to spend on a back up wing back and then be struggling for money or penny pinching when it comes to forwards.....

I would be looking at spending say 18/25m on one and 8/15m on another.....if fact I would prioritise the back up first , get him in early doors as we might struggle tempting one if we get the first choice in first and be held to ransom by clubs as we are seen as desperate for a first choice...

With money being tight we need to prioritise this summer....strikers first..... anything else is a luxury after.....squad size was fine for the first half of the season...Saza n Fabio need replacing....at the minute we are fine or ok everywhere else..
I agree about prioritising forwards first, no argument there. If Semedo does move on though, it's sensible to line up replacements. I don't think you're giving him enough credit by calling him a "kid playing for Estoril". If a 20 year old right wing back was playing for Porto, Sporting, Benfica or Braga, and had 5 goals and 6 assists in 19 starts, would you want them?

If anything, it's far more impressive that he's putting up stats like that at a club like Estoril that's battling against relegation and obviously doesn't create the number of chances that those four sides do, in the same league against the same opposition. The only question mark is most of those goals and assists came in two successive games!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree about prioritising forwards first, no argument there. If Semedo does move on though, it's sensible to line up replacements. I don't think you're giving him enough credit by calling him a "kid playing for Estoril". If a 20 year old right wing back was playing for Porto, Sporting, Benfica or Braga, and had 5 goals and 6 assists in 19 starts, would you want them?

If anything, it's far more impressive that he's putting up stats like that at a club like Estoril that's battling against relegation and obviously doesn't create the number of chances that those four sides do, in the same league against the same opposition. The only question mark is most of those goals and assists came in two successive games!
Not dishing him but we have numerous young wide kids and no strikers, with a limited budget ..another one should be well down the pecking order...

The priority is the same as January....2 forwards....

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nketiah Will be massively overpriced due to the Arsenal tag. If he was the same player at a South American or Portuguese club he’d be about a third of what they want.
Agree and this is why although I like him, I don't see players like him as options unless he's part ex for Neto

We will be looking to Europe and South America for raw bargains

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think it's actually Doherty that Rodrigo Gomes would replace in the squad. He is playing right wing back at Estoril but was considered an out and out winger, on both sides, before this year.

Doherty has been played at RWB, LWB, RW and LW at various moments this year, including LW when he came on against Coventry. Rodrigo Gomes would take that role in the squad whilst also being a potentially more attacking RAN-esque RWB option to compete with Semedo.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's actually Doherty that Rodrigo Gomes would replace in the squad. He is playing right wing back at Estoril but was considered an out and out winger, on both sides, before this year.

Doherty has been played at RWB, LWB, RW and LW at various moments this year, including LW when he came on against Coventry. Rodrigo Gomes would take that role in the squad whilst also being a potentially more attacking RAN-esque RWB option to compete with Semedo.
Are we going to sell Doc then with 2 years left on his deal?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Are we going to sell Doc then with 2 years left on his deal?
Let him go on a free- I am sure his agent can find somewhere for him.

He has 23 appearances this season across all those roles- for his actual skillset, in my opinion, that is a problem that we need to resolve.

Also with him at age 32, Semedo at 30, we need to be blooding the next RWB to take over.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Doherty won't go anywhere though.....got no problem with signing the lad just don't see it as a priority that's all..

We have Semedo , Doherty and probably Yerson coming back who can play a defensive right back role....let's be honest how many games a season will we get where we can play a 20 yr old at wing back... probably 4/5 maximum......we might see him as a winger granted but even then it's a big ask for a 20 year old......we've already got 4/5 kid wingers we don't wanna play as it is....

As I said for me forwards are the key.....but another position I would rather spend 8/10m on over a young right wing back is number 2 keeper.......it's way down the list of priorities for me another young wide player...if we need one it will be a guarantee starter to replace Neto not potential...

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let him go on a free- I am sure his agent can find somewhere for him.

He has 23 appearances this season across all those roles- for his actual skillset, in my opinion, that is a problem that we need to resolve.

Also with him at age 32, Semedo at 30, we need to be blooding the next RWB to take over.
Realistically we need two new wing backs. No new deal for Semedo as yet we will have to cash in or risk losing him for free. Ait-Nouri high interest from few clubs can’t see us keeping him if the right offer comes along unfortunately. So yeah your right we need to upgrade that department which will be hard to replace such quality.

The unwarranted Doc hatred continues on here mind.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically we need two new wing backs. No new deal for Semedo as yet we will have to cash in or risk losing him for free. Ait-Nouri high interest from few clubs can’t see us keeping him if the right offer comes along unfortunately. So yeah your right we need to upgrade that department which will be hard to replace such quality.

Re your last para it isn't hatred just recognition that Doc is utterly and completely done as a PL player.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your last para it isn't hatred just recognition that Doc is utterly and completely done as a PL player.
He’s done a job and scored goals we can’t expect miracles for a free transfer. More so providing an experienced head in the team. Jose Sa makes mistakes every other few games and gets a free pass. Unbelievable, this fan base never fails to amaze me. Bring back Fabio Silva all is forgiven

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I don't hate Doc- I just think the fact we ever have to use him as an option at LW represents a failure in our squad building. I can't think there are many examples of other clubs who ever use their second choice RWB at LW.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't hate Doc- I just think the fact we ever have to use him as an option at LW represents a failure in our squad building. I can't think there are many examples of other clubs who ever use their second choice RWB at LW.
Doherty has only started at Lwb when Rayan was at the afcon though.......in the few sub appearances he has been used I think O'Neil has just used his experience over Hugo Bueno.....

I would expect Hugo may get more opportunities in the remaining games if required...

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s done a job and scored goals we can’t expect miracles for a free transfer. More so providing an experienced head in the team. Jose Sa makes mistakes every other few games and gets a free pass. Unbelievable, this fan base never fails to amaze me. Bring back Fabio Silva all is forgiven
I don't see Sa getting a free pass at all. He has his faults, but I see him being called out for them a lot...imo sometimes too much so.

Back
Top Bottom