Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In which way...cheap or expensive? Yes in the current market he is worth more. But he is worth nothing if he is never fit. 40 million would be good business currently
Good business for whoever is buying him.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
In which way...cheap or expensive? Yes in the current market he is worth more. But he is worth nothing if he is never fit. 40 million would be good business currently
There’s no way we’d sell for £40m.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anchoring ?Will limit squad expenditure to a multiple of the smallest clubs broadcast earnings.According to Martin Samuel in Sunday Times.

Latest wheeze from owners of clubs who want to restrict their spending.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the defence today. There was a mix up on the line with the inexperienced sub involved which led to the cross and their brilliant winner. Playing loads of players out of position because of injuries to our 4 senior attacking players leaving very little threat up front.
So in summer 2024 we need to sign at least two proper strikers, big mobile centre forwards, bring Fabio back and give him a chance. The cost is not much with an astute signing of free agent, and a little known overseas striker with premier attributes. We only need to sign two strikers! All the rest are like for like replacements for any who leave.
Yes your point about being forced to play so many players out of position is a killer and critical point at this level.
I also agree because our attack has been so decimated, its put extra responsibility on the defence and they've got exposed, particularly without Dawson.
You put a front three of Neto, Cunha and Hwang against someone, guess what the opposition are not flooding forward as much.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s meant to be better than Doyle although it’s difficult to make comparisons when he’s playing in a dumpster fire like Sheffield Utd.

I think would be worth the risk.

I am not sure that other teams will take the same risk with Neto . . . Have a feeling he might not move this season.

A lot on here saying that we have to sell someone this summer, but that’s not what l heard Hobbs say the other day or am
I missing something?
If I were buying Neto I would be looking for a much reduced fee with substantial add ons based on number of games played.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I were buying Neto I would be looking for a much reduced fee with substantial add ons based on number of games played.
We talk about Neto and his fitness record.
But really, the knee cap thing was a bit of a freak injury with ,as far as I know, no long term effect. Plus a few niggly hamstring strains. It’s not like he’s Sasa!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have Matt Hobbs who can make us like Brighton, it is the clown/puppet (depending on if he actually does have any power or say with his fosun bosses) above him that will stop him doing so.

Hobbs is excellent at his job and the reputation he has in the outside of wolves is well earned!

We need to lock him down and make him feel that he has a role no one else could offer him!
Hobbs has done very well with little resources, the concern will always be Shi who is totally unqualified to run a club of this size.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hobbs has done very well with little resources, the concern will always be Shi who is totally unqualified to run a club of this size.
Is he though? He’s been in charge of a premier league club for multiple seasons, got them from the championship to the premier league, and into Europe, without falling foul of premier league rules.

What more do you need to be qualified to run a club of this size?

(I’m not saying he’s amazing, just that the statement above seems wrong).

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets be real:

Number 9 is priority

Go back for Yuri? Buy a work in progress a conway/simms etc

Probably buy two if we can, a youth prospect and something to mold.

Buy a proven? big money (unlikely)

FBs?

Decisions on semedo, could ait-nouri be sold, is doc and bueno long term enough, what do we do about hooever?

Wingers?

neto, will he go? cut price fee? injury record? do we reward sarabia?

CB

Mosquera new starter?

Loan players to make decisions on

Chiq, hooever, bolla, cundle, hodge

We the have the its sale or final hurrah

Podence, silva, guedes

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Lets be real:

Number 9 is priority

Go back for Yuri? Buy a work in progress a conway/simms etc

Probably buy two if we can, a youth prospect and something to mold.

Buy a proven? big money (unlikely)

FBs?

Decisions on semedo, could ait-nouri be sold, is doc and bueno long term enough, what do we do about hooever?

Wingers?

neto, will he go? cut price fee? injury record? do we reward sarabia?

CB

Mosquera new starter?

Loan players to make decisions on

Chiq, hooever, bolla, cundle, hodge

We the have the its sale or final hurrah

Podence, silva, guedes
i see two centre halves as high a priority as the number 9, after that a young right back future planning for semedo

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i see two centre halves as high a priority as the number 9, after that a young right back future planning for semedo
Thats fair to be honest Bod.

But is that two CBs on top of mosquera?

Mosquera, bueno, gomes? - if kilman is sold definitely room for two

Dawson to play less as he ages

Definitely need a RB, id say an RB and a LB is needed

Two wingers?

we probably need 7 players

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he though? He’s been in charge of a premier league club for multiple seasons, got them from the championship to the premier league, and into Europe, without falling foul of premier league rules.

He's been exposed since Nuno left, with the Lage debacle and then Lop/FFP issues. We've lucked out with GON who has surpassed all expectations. Really, we should've been struggling this season.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Thats fair to be honest Bod.

But is that two CBs on top of mosquera?

Mosquera, bueno, gomes? - if kilman is sold definitely room for two

Dawson to play less as he ages

Definitely need a RB, id say an RB and a LB is needed

Two wingers?

we probably need 7 players
yes i think two starting cbs and a starting number 9. Definitely a young RB.

I'm not sure we need anymore forwards at the moment if we dont lose neto. I'd also bring fabio back and use him initially as backup

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm not sure we need anymore forwards at the moment if we dont lose neto. I'd also bring fabio back and use him initially as backup
Potentially think mosquera starts,

But definitely need the number 9 and a young RB.

I think 5 players needed without moving anyone on

Seven if we move on neto etc

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The whole scenario is driven by hindsight. Broja didn’t want to come to Wolves—he chose Fulham. Chelsea wanted the guaranteed playing time or the high fee—they chose Fulham. Muniz had an unexpected purple patch—had Fulham known he would perform so well, they might not have sprung for Broja. And nobody knew our whole front line would go down with injuries at the same time, making Wolves the best shop window for Broja. So you can’t take that post very seriously…
True, but there's no guarantee Muniz's purple patch wasn't as a result of competition for places coming in to challenge him.

The only thing we can say with certainty is the net effect is Fulham have spent £4m and progressed two places up the table. As a gamble, regardless of how Broja does, the impact is a positive one so far

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently we’ve watched this lad who can play about 4 different positions Noah Sadiki

Adaptability seems to be the flavour of the month/era.

The way football is going, I can see this being a trait that will become increasingly important.

Gone are the days of big lumps at the back. Top centre backs can easily step into midfield nowadays.

Full backs are becoming creative midfield forces, look at how Spurs use theirs as attacking midfielders. Ait Nouri has done similar for us too recently.

Top forwards can now play anywhere across the front.

Having players that can adapt to different positions, styles and tactics is crucial, especially when you're squad is smaller than most!

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adaptability seems to be the flavour of the month/era.

The way football is going, I can see this being a trait that will become increasingly important.

Gone are the days of big lumps at the back. Top centre backs can easily step into midfield nowadays.

Full backs are becoming creative midfield forces, look at how Spurs use theirs as attacking midfielders. Ait Nouri has done similar for us too recently.

Top forwards can now play anywhere across the front.

Having players that can adapt to different positions, styles and tactics is crucial, especially when you're squad is smaller than most!
It's basically Total Football made popular again

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree.
If we could only sign one player it has to be a 9.
Even if you stick to your desire to play a back 4.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Disagree.
If we could only sign one player it has to be a 9.
Even if you stick to your desire to play a back 4.
And GoN shouldn't be allowed to go 4atb if he wants to play Tommy Doyle in the DM role.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And GoN shouldn't be allowed to go 4atb if he wants to play Tommy Doyle in the DM role.
Why?
I wouldn’t go to a back 4 anyway.
And if I did I think I’d be more inclined to make it a 433… which would quite possibly include Doyle…

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

His financial incompetence through buying football assets when he was directly in charge, and thought he had the ability to do so, means we were looking over our shoulders and his bosses money had to be ploughed into the club for it to survive.

That would be enough for most MD/ CEO's to lose their jobs.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why?
I wouldn’t go to a back 4 anyway.
And if I did I think I’d be more inclined to make it a 433… which would quite possibly include Doyle…
Doyle isn't in any way equipped to play that role in the modern game. As has been proved in other teams that role is very different now. He has to be played in the middle or not at all.

We could go 4atb by adding a true DM as other clubs have (Rice, Caicedo, Bissouma, Mainoo, Endo, Alvarez, etc). I think Kilman and Toti/ Dawson/ Bueno/ Mosquera would really benefit from that player as would Doyle.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle isn't in any way equipped to play that role in the modern game. As has been proved in other teams that role is very different now. He has to be played in the middle or not at all.

We could go 4atb by adding a true DM as other clubs have (Rice, Caicedo, Bissouma, Mainoo, Endo, Alvarez, etc). I think Kilman and Toti/ Dawson/ Bueno/ Mosquera would really benefit from that player as would Doyle.
You can play gomes as a cdm, but the reality is the neves player is what you need.

The qb, the person who will take and then pass and move

Gomes could do that truthfully

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I like Doyle.
I wouldn’t play him as the most defensive of a pair or a 3. But as one of the deeper but less defensive midfielders I think works.
Maybe that’s kinda what you mean anyway?

I actually think we missed him Saturday when he came off; I know we scored after his substitution, but I think we lost some control in the midfield.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can play gomes as a cdm, but the reality is the neves player is what you need.

The qb, the person who will take and then pass and move

Gomes could do that truthfully
I don't think that QB role exists anymore. Teams just sit a player on that man and today's pressing machines just kill that style. Luiz is perhaps the only one left in the league and he's currently getting battered without his shield beside him.

It's all about getting out from the back quickly or in Arsenal and City's case in control.

Gomes could be very good in that role as I think that's what he did at Flamengo.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I like Doyle.
I wouldn’t play him as the most defensive of a pair or a 3. But as one of the deeper but less defensive midfielders I think works.
Maybe that’s kinda what you mean anyway?

I actually think we missed him Saturday when he came off; I know we scored after his substitution, but I think we lost some control in the midfield.
Not quite, I think Doyle is wasted at DM, I like him picking passes from the middle and final thirds. He's really good when he's got little time to think, a proper Scholes type as the first yard is in his head. Needs a runner (Lemina/ Bellegarde) and a grittier ball winner (Gomes) beside and behind him.

No good as a 10 though.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fair calls there but worth remembering that Mosquera may be ready to start, especially so in a 3.

Either way, if Dawson is struggling with niggling injuries, we need to invest in another experienced head back there.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His financial incompetence through buying football assets when he was directly in charge, and thought he had the ability to do so, means we were looking over our shoulders and his bosses money had to be ploughed into the club for it to survive.

That would be enough for most MD/ CEO's to lose their jobs.
I thought that was sellars?

Logically, he’s overseen really good progression and consolidation in his time at the club - what experience would you expect a club like us to be able to attract?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We may have to be inventive
I mean like John Stones did at Man City
Average CB but transformed into a DMF

Back
Top Bottom