Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah and with GON's links to B'Muff . . .

Think he is probably a level above us though. Can see him going to Spurs or Utd.
I don't see Solanke as being any better than Calvert-Lewin. He's had a hot streak but his performances have been sporadic at best in the last couple of months. I think us, West Ham or Villa are likely his ceiling

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd be mad to accept £60m for Joao Gomes, he's got the skills and potential to be worth a lot more than that

Like Raul and Adama, Jota, Neves and soon to be Neto and then further down the line Ait-Nouri and Gomes, Wolves players will never be worth that much for one reason or another.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd be mad not to accept £60m for Joao Gomes, no matter what it was to fund.
Gomes will be worth a lot more than that in rhe future, imo and with no serious injuries. What an engine, and a lot of skill too. Our winning goal against Fulham was maybe my favourite of the season, even with the fortunate deflection

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like Raul and Adama, Jota, Neves and soon to be Neto and then further down the line Ait-Nouri and Gomes, Wolves players will never be worth that much for one reason or another.
That may change in the next few seasons if we keep GON. He's a media darling the way Nuno never was and media perception plays a big role in determining the value of a player. Brighton are proof of that.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes will be worth a lot more than that in rhe future, imo and with no serious injuries. What an engine, and a lot of skill too. Our winning goal against Fulham was maybe my favourite of the season, even with the fortunate deflection
if Caceido is worth 100m then Gomes ain’t far off his abilities

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
if Caceido is worth 100m then Gomes ain’t far off his abilities

That market is gone. As Hobbs said himself the other day.

The Saudi market is perhaps the only market left paying those crazy prices and even they I think will now be reluctant.

FFP is affecting Newcastle, even the top clubs won't go crazy, Chelsea themselves are now in FFP trouble.

The figures are always relative but I agree Gomes is one of our most valuable assets.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That market is gone. As Hobbs said himself the other day.

The Saudi market is perhaps the only market left paying those crazy prices and even they I think will now be reluctant.

FFP is affecting Newcastle, even the top clubs won't go crazy, Chelsea themselves are now in FFP trouble.

The figures are always relative but I agree Gomes is one of our most valuable assets.

Saudi market pays inflated fees over and above market price for swift negotiations.

If market price drops, the inflated price drops too. So it will impact what they're prepared to pay indirectly.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Def
Deflection? What deflection? Steered in past the keeper by a master craftsman !

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes may well be worth more, but we need to sell a player every season or so to balance the books.

There's also alot to be said for selling players at the peak of their value. Gomes has the potential to be worth more than 60, but equally he could do his ACL tomorrow and never be the same again.

We could've sold Adama for £40m but we kept him and he eventually left for nothing.

We could've sold Neto for X amount in January, but after another hamstring injury he has decreased in value.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Saudi market pays inflated fees over and above market price for swift negotiations.

If market price drops, the inflated price drops too. So it will impact what they're prepared to pay indirectly.
I think the Saudis are playing the long game and getting some clubs and agents beholden to them by money-washing their FFP problems. See Todd Boehly meeting their head of football just this week. He’ll be agreeing how much he’s got to spend this summer. Newcastle will do the same.

It will coincide with FFP being ditched for commercial revenue percentages and then St James’s Park and Stamford Bridge will sell their naming rights

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes may well be worth more, but we need to sell a player every season or so to balance the books.

There's also alot to be said for selling players at the peak of their value. Gomes has the potential to be worth more than 60, but equally he could do his ACL tomorrow and never be the same again.

We could've sold Adama for £40m but we kept him and he eventually left for nothing.

We could've sold Neto for X amount in January, but after another hamstring injury he has decreased in value.
Can't get on board with the idea of selling a player for less than he might be worth just on the off-chance he gets seriously injured

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
It’s not hindsight that we needed a forward. Neto was recovering from a hamstring injury and Hwang has a long record of niggly injuries. I’m not saying Broja was the answer but i find it impossible to believe we couldn’t have found a better option than Fraser for an acceptable fee.
The whole scenario is driven by hindsight. Broja didn’t want to come to Wolves—he chose Fulham. Chelsea wanted the guaranteed playing time or the high fee—they chose Fulham. Muniz had an unexpected purple patch—had Fulham known he would perform so well, they might not have sprung for Broja. And nobody knew our whole front line would go down with injuries at the same time, making Wolves the best shop window for Broja. So you can’t take that post very seriously…

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
These people are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to make decisions.

The idea that you can't judge in hindsight is hilarious. Especially in this instance when literally the vast majority knew injuries were likely, so it wasn't actually hindsight lol.

But, either way, generally, sporting directors/transfer people are there to make decisions with the future in mind.

Imagine you lot with United. £86m on Antony. £73m on Sancho. Ah well, unlucky lads, they were alright before, not your fault :D

Some injuries may have been "likely" as you say.... but it was a stone cold fact at the time that we could not risk a £4m charge for someone who only gets in if those injuries happen.

On your Utd point... everyone knew £86m for Antony was insane. And Sancho seemed a great deal, but didn't work out... using hindsight. Two very different situations.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The whole scenario is driven by hindsight. Broja didn’t want to come to Wolves—he chose Fulham. Chelsea wanted the guaranteed playing time or the high fee—they chose Fulham. Muniz had an unexpected purple patch—had Fulham known he would perform so well, they might not have sprung for Broja. And nobody knew our whole front line would go down with injuries at the same time, making Wolves the best shop window for Broja. So you can’t take that post very seriously…
Where was it said Broja didn't want to come to wolves.....thought it was just Chelsea took the heater offer financially..

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes it does.

My initial point was the fee would've been £0 for us because he would've played and it's a shame for Wolves, Fulham, Broja and Chelsea that he isn't here.

Pretty hard to disagree with I presumed for obvious reasons, but here we are.
The article quoted (assuming it’s correct) says £500k if the clause is met or £4m if it isn’t.

It also says he had to start 60% of all games from the point he joined, now I’d assume the Man Utd game would be excluded as he couldn’t be registered in the squad in time for that game and Chelsea too as he can’t play his parent club so that leave’s Brentford onwards. Assuming the cup is included that 17 games (including Coventry but not beyond this at the moment) so he would need to start more than 10.2 games so 11 of the 17, or to look at it another way he’d need to not start 6 or less.

So that’s the fact (or fact as we know it), this point onwards becomes opinion.

Of our games so far:

He wouldn’t have started against Brentford ahead of Sarabia, Neto and Cunha but would have come on for Cunha which wouldn’t count so that’s 1 of the 6.

He probably wouldn’t start at Spurs where Cunha was replaced by Hwang, I appreciate there was questions over Hwang’s injury but away at a big 6 side I think O’Neil sticks with a player he trust and Broja is used as a sub so that 2 of 6.

Sheffield Utd, he could start but again I think we stick with Hwang, Sarabia and Neto. A weeks gap from Spurs so he’s on the bench for me. 3 of 6 (in my opinion).

He starts against Brighton as was planned with rotation. 3 of 6.

Newcastle Hwang might have been available for as he wasn’t started and injured against Brighton but let’s assume everything remains the same so Broja starts again. 3 of 6.

Fulham he starts again with injuries. 3 of 6.

So he needs to start 8 of our next 11 games (8 of 12 if we make the FA semi, 9 of 13 if we make the final).

If we’re missing two of Hwang, Cunha and Neto then you can make the case Broja starts all of the remaining games, but (hopefully) at least 1, probably 2 (hopefully all 3) will be back for at least some of those games so it’s questionable. If all 3 are available he doesn’t start our biggest games in my opinion.

You could make a case he hits the ground running and keeps someone else out of the team, that could happen. But as someone who’s back from a major injury he’d surely need rotating too so for him to start at least 8 of our next 11 isn’t as difficult to disagree with as you state in my opinion.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Where was it said Broja didn't want to come to wolves.....thought it was just Chelsea took the heater offer financially..
In this article (Why Armando Broja's Fulham loan is win-win for both... and great for Chelsea):

“I had multiple conversations with my family and agent, and I just felt Fulham was the best club that suited me”, the 22-year-old said.

At the time, Fulham had the bigger need at striker…plus, he’s right next door and doesn’t have to move. He was not coming to Wolverhampton.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said about mengi!!!!
Watching him against Bournemouth..class
Adebayo, Mengi, Barkley, Ogbene & Doughty will have people interested. They work hard and possessive of some quality on the ball.

People had them down as whipping boys like Sheff Utd. They have some ability in them.

Said earlier 2/3 players from being a decent ish team on a sort of palace or brentford scale not much between them.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantasy island question

Would anyone sell Joao Gomes say £60m to fund Neves homecoming for half the price??

It’s a jokey question don’t take too serious.
No. Without disrespecting Neves, our midfield is much more dynamic this season.

Great player, but wouldn’t fit in our system/style of play now.

Irrespective, l think Gomes could be worth £100m+ very soon. If not the end of this season then next one.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a Premium if you are English, and a Premium if you score lots of goals.
Probably the exception was a brief Chelsea - Brighton crazy love in.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solanke might want to play for GON & he has good stats

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. Without disrespecting Neves, our midfield is much more dynamic this season.

Great player, but wouldn’t fit in our system/style of play now.

Irrespective, l think Gomes could be worth £100m+ very soon. If not the end of this season then next one.

Neves would slot in no dramas at all. Doyle does a similar role.

We arent getting close to 100 million for Gomes now. As others have said, those days are gone with the financial clampdowns.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves would slot in no dramas at all. Doyle does a similar role.

We arent getting close to 100 million for Gomes now. As others have said, those days are gone with the financial clampdowns.
I don't think these "financial clampdowns" will have any relevance at all for the top clubs, to be honest. FFP has been around for a while, it's only now that it's gained prominence since the "other 14" clubs have started skirting closer to the edge, or past it, and it's gained significant publicity.

If they change the rules to allow losses up to 85% of your revenue, spending may go up even more.

Look at the revenues earned by the likes of Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool. 3-4x what a club like Everton (listed in 30th, we'll be at a similar number) operate with on a yearly basis.

Those "big six" clubs will be back spending again in the summer. I'd expect there will be a lot of interest in the likes of Gomes, Cunha, RAN, Kilman, and Neto. Fortunately, we're in a position where we don't need to sell unless the right offer comes along, since we got our ducks in a row last summer.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think these "financial clampdowns" will have any relevance at all for the top clubs, to be honest. FFP has been around for a while, it's only now that it's gained prominence since the "other 14" clubs have started skirting closer to the edge, or past it, and it's gained significant publicity.

If they change the rules to allow losses up to 85% of your revenue, spending may go up even more.

Look at the revenues earned by the likes of Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool. 3-4x what a club like Everton (listed in 30th, we'll be at a similar number) operate with on a yearly basis.

Those "big six" clubs will be back spending again in the summer. I'd expect there will be a lot of interest in the likes of Gomes, Cunha, RAN, Kilman, and Neto. Fortunately, we're in a position where we don't need to sell unless the right offer comes along, since we got our ducks in a row last summer.

I think they absolutely will effect them. They arent blowing 100 million on anyone but the truly elite players anymore. The likes of Fernandez and Caicedo going for massive money isnt happening anymore. Gomes isnt in the truly elite category, we will get around 50 million for him i reckon if he moves in the summer. The market will have changed now and you wont see teams risking it.

I think it can only be a good thing tbh, transfer fees were getting out of control.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think they absolutely will effect them. They arent blowing 100 million on anyone but the truly elite players anymore. The likes of Fernandez and Caicedo going for massive money isnt happening anymore. Gomes isnt in the truly elite category, we will get around 50 million for him i reckon if he moves in the summer. The market will have changed now and you wont see teams risking it.

I think it can only be a good thing tbh, transfer fees were getting out of control.
It's all about the situation

If a club doesn't need to sell (us), a club can afford 100m (top 6 clubs most seasons) and they really, really want a player, then £100m is still a possibility.

Not saying Joao will be that player but I don't think them days are necessarily gone. The signs aren't yet there that they will slow down.

The top 6 still spent lots of money in the summer just gone.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know it's probably all made up rubbish but we have been linked to a lovely set of players in the 10 pages so far. They are all good ages, highly rated, a range of body types, variety of nationalities and cover pretty much the whole field (other than CB).

If we were to bring them in we would have some serious options in preparation for a potential European campaign.

GK - Patrick Schulte - 23 - 6'3"
DR/L - Ferdi Kadioglu - 24 - 5'7"
MC - Lewis Ferguson - 24 - 5'11"
AMR/L - Rodrigo Gomes - 20 - 5'7"
ST - Jonas Wind - 25 - 6'3"

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

completely agree.

Out of the so called big clubs who can buy big before they sell?

Back
Top Bottom