Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can demand more money for him with a two year extension of his contract.

That assumes anyone actually wants to buy him and pay his wages. His wages rule him out for a large number of clubs of the stature who would want him, and now we’ve just guaranteed those wages for another two years. This Celtic fanzine article tonight sums it up..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That assumes anyone actually wants to buy him and pay his wages. His wages rule him out for a large number of clubs of the stature who would want him, and now we’ve just guaranteed those wages for another two years. This Celtic fanzine article tonight sums it up..

He will get to play in the Europa League. If he does well that potentially increases his appeal.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,000 p/w is £2.6m. I'd back us to get more than that in the summer for him.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody wants to pay him £50k a week though so again he’ll just sit his contract out.
It’s down to what he does. If he performs well all season then somebody will take a punt hopefully but I’ve got no faith in Podence’s character in terms of rolling his sleeves up though.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s down to what he does. If he performs well all season then somebody will take a punt hopefully but I’ve got no faith in Podence’s character in terms of rolling his sleeves up though.
To be fair he’s world class at rolling.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair he’s world class at rolling.
He has a side hustle of teaching actors how to convincingly make it look like they are spitting at someone too!

Going to help up Leo’s game and get him that second Oscar!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reports Saudi's have offered Liverpool £250M for Salah and wages of £2.75M a week :oops:

Said at the weekend when this approach started that with them having another week to do a deal, a laser focus on getting their man, and Salah apparently open to such a move, that eventually Liverpool would cave in. It’s simply too much money even for Liverpool to ignore. Gives them plenty of money to rebuild their team, and loads of time to select players and work on their agents.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a pity it has gone pear-shaped with him at the club. At his best he is a real threat and can actually score goals. Something we desperately need right now. If he does well at Olympiakos we should get £10m or so for him next summer.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under the circumstances presented to him Podence I think he would be well within his rights to have gone on strike. I don't think only giving someone a move if they sign a 3 year contract is okay personally. We either want him or we don't.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Under the circumstances presented to him Podence I think he would be well within his rights to have gone on strike. I don't think only giving someone a move if they sign a 3 year contract is okay personally. We either want him or we don't.
I don't think we want him, we are just protecting ourselves against the possibility he has a really good season and his value increases. With a new contract we can maximise any possible sale rather than suffer the last year of contract discount

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said at the weekend when this approach started that with them having another week to do a deal, a laser focus on getting their man, and Salah apparently open to such a move, that eventually Liverpool would cave in. It’s simply too much money even for Liverpool to ignore. Gives them plenty of money to rebuild their team, and loads of time to select players and work on their agents.
It's not like they will win the league this year, and they'd still have a good chance of top 4. I'd sell for £200 million plus and buy 3 or 4 world class players with eyes on the next 5 years.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody forced him to sign it he could have seen his contact out and gone for free next season.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be all sorts of details in that new contract though.
Buy out clause for a relatively low fee, effectively letting him pick his next club.

Reaction score

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Second piece in a row where I feel Percy is in the club's pocket.

A lot of rubbish in that to pick apart, and clearly fed from the club. The fact it's come out days after the window speaks volumes about how it actually went.
The article is too kind to all parties involved. Lopetegui managed to resign after the celtic game and get a years payoff and that gets called him being generous.
We don't want to sign a striker that our scouting department hasn't scouted properly...well why haven't we been scouting strikers? Jesus wept.

And is it bad that I would rather have us spend money on a striker that hasn't been scouted by our staff than one that has? Cos I have a feeling we'll just end up not getting one and signing 3 defensive midfielders instead.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not like they will win the league this year, and they'd still have a good chance of top 4. I'd sell for £200 million plus and buy 3 or 4 world class players with eyes on the next 5 years.

Me too. It’s the ideal way to rebuild the aging spine of their team.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Short term pain and long term gain I'd have said? Think they will probably cope with Jota, Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo till Jan somehow. Salah could break his leg tomorrow anyway and they'd have to

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Take it for what it is - the Club’s view on the summer, or at least, the view they want to share with fans. It’s interesting and useful to a degree, in sharing some data on what happened, but it can’t be read as complete and gospel since it’s clearly written by the club in all but name, and for the consumption of us fans.

Taken at face value, we should then expect a more relaxed spend in coming windows, and the signing of a striker who’s a long term target not a panic buy.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't they done that already this summer though?
Only really Van Dijk and Salah left from the old guard. I don't know how you go about replacing someone as good as Salah.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They'll probably keep him until the start of January, then sell him just before the African Cup of Nations starts.

To replace him, as far as left footed players who play off the right as Salah does, I think Bryan Mbeumo could do very well for a Liverpool, or another bigger club. Surprisingly, he's only just turned 24!

He will be missing for the Afcon too, but you'd expect they could probably pick him up for £50-60m and still have a lot of cash left over.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only really Van Dijk and Salah left from the old guard. I don't know how you go about replacing someone as good as Salah.
He is fantastic but he's also 31 now and his contract expires in 2025, if you're talking value then now is the best time to sell him and for that offer I don't see how you can turn it down.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They'll have to before long and its much easier to do so with £200 plus million in your pocket I guess?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What's this complete *******s in the Percy article?

While there will not be multi-millions to spend in the winter window, Wolves would rather focus on adding a forward who has been properly researched and analysed by the recruitment team.

I thought Hobbs said we had a running list of players for each position? Three bloody years and they haven't 'properly researched' any strikers? Somebody reassure me 'cos I'm out of blood pressure tablets...

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What's this complete *******s in the Percy article?

While there will not be multi-millions to spend in the winter window, Wolves would rather focus on adding a forward who has been properly researched and analysed by the recruitment team.

I thought Hobbs said we had a running list of players for each position? Three bloody years and they haven't 'properly researched' any strikers? Somebody reassure me 'cos I'm out of blood pressure tablets...
It might mean that the players we have researched and fancied were not available. So we put in cheap bids for what was available but when these were rejected we decided to wait for the researched players. Possibly South American players who might be available in January. Maybe.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might mean that the players we have researched and fancied were not available. So we put in cheap bids for what was available but when these were rejected we decided to wait for the researched players. Possibly South American players who might be available in January. Maybe.
Who might well think "No thanks, they're Championship bound".

Back
Top Bottom