Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly wonder what senior football execs see sometimes….if there’s one position we don’t need cover it’s DCM. We can all see we need a mobile dynamic midfielder ….so what’s the answer ….****** Harrison Reed
Ok, so in January, after the 7 fixtures in December, you are happy with the cover we have there with the AFCON going on?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have Gabon even qualified for AFCON 24? Pretty sure we are only losing Traore, who hasn't even started for us in the league since forever

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t there actually talk of Traore going out on loan earlier in the window?

Could be that if Reed comes in we have a destination for him to get some regular game time?

Woolywolf

Reaction score
Ok, so in January, after the 7 fixtures in December, you are happy with the cover we have there with the AFCON going on?
Yep, we’ll smash it cos we’ve got Harrison ******* Reed. An absolute bang average footballer, where we have 5 players competing more than likely for two positions. I’m not against another midfield signing but not another one the same as we’ve got (only worse)

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from Boubacar we have no midfielder who can spring forward and as it is he is being under used. Reed is a squad filler and if he doesn't cost much then ok he is another body in there but surely we should be aiming higher as a Premier League club who have just sold a midfielder for £53m? Where is the attacking midfielder and striker we need if we are going to be able to score a few goals (forget Blackpool as any knd of marker). Barring Cunha we have noone to frighten the opposition.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I honestly wonder what senior football execs see sometimes….if there’s one position we don’t need cover it’s DCM. We can all see we need a mobile dynamic midfielder ….so what’s the answer ….****** Harrison Reed

Completely agree with you, but all I would say is he got 3 goals and 4 assists last season.....far more than the goofy snake.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I do share your concern, so this isn't a criticism. I don't currently see the need for Reed. However, I also think we're all guilty of falling into the modern binary way of looking at midfielders where we talk about them as DM's or AM's. In another time we would be looking at Doyle, Reed and Gomes (Lemina to a lesser extent, he's definitely more of a DM) as box to box midfielders. They're all mobile. Doyle is very good on the ball. Gomes likes to get into the box and shoot.

So...I do still agree with you we need a more clearly defined attacking creative midfielder. But I think we're underestimating how mobile and dynamic our existing options can be, depending on what they'e asked to do.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally …. Hope there’s a way of reintegrating Podence back into the squad ……Top scorer last season and despite his antics one of the few ‘game changing ‘ players we have left ……. Apart from Neto , who won’t play a full season ( and praying Arteta doesn’t come in late for him ):oops:
Don’t want him and his ****ty attitude anywhere near the squad.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely agree with you, but all I would say is he got 3 goals and 4 assists last season.....far more than the goofy snake.
"Goofy snake" ?
Not very complimentatry tbh if it's who I think it is, whether you agree with his antics or not.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do share your concern, so this isn't a criticism. I don't currently see the need for Reed. However, I also think we're all guilty of falling into the modern binary way of looking at midfielders where we talk about them as DM's or AM's. In another time we would be looking at Doyle, Reed and Gomes (Lemina to a lesser extent, he's definitely more of a DM) as box to box midfielders. They're all mobile. Doyle is very good on the ball. Gomes likes to get into the box and shoot.

So...I do still agree with you we need a more clearly defined attacking creative midfielder. But I think we're underestimating how mobile and dynamic our existing options can be, depending on what they'e asked to do.

Just to build on this a little...it all depends on what the plan is. Obviously we need more than one plan. But what is the main one? At this point what we need to sign next is largely defined by whether it's a traditional 442 (I think we already have midfielders who can provide that central pairing), a 4222 (with Nunes going we do lose a large part of what worked in that formation and I would then agree we need a McAtee type) or a 3 man midfield in a 433 or 343/352 (in which case, again, we do need an attacking mid option.) But the problem we have right now is that the Gary O'Neil era is such an unknown. We don't know what profile of player is needed. We can look at the squad and say we think we need X or Y, but we don't really know.

Reaction score
He played a lot of last season on the right-hand side of midfield, as did Nunes for Wolves, and had 7 goal involvements - compared to 2, I believe, for Nunes.

He can play as a DCM but is so much more than that.

DJLWolf

Reaction score

I think the plan might have been to loan out Bouba and Hodge.Not sure where the Hodge injury leaves us.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hearing we may bid for Alzate from Brighton
Just how many midfielders do we want?
I just don't get this. Alzate has been mainly on loan with Swindon and Standard Liege in the past two or three seasons and only ever played 43 times for Brighton since 2017. He is around 25 now and his career has stalled as far as I can see. He is a neat player with a few caps for Colombia from what I remember but along with Reed these are not the kinds of players to raise the level of the squad and challenge immediately for first team spots. Brighton are letting him go for a reason! Puzzled. Why do we always aim so low? Concerned that Boubacar, who is actually a talent, will be further sidelined.

Last edited:

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see a deadline day bid for Iheanacho.,.....might work being local .....15m.....take it or leave it ..
Would take him and Ndidi if we want another midfielder too.

Both have a year left on their contracts and that Leicester team should be able to get promoted without either of them really, even at £10-15m each that's a lot of money to turn down (and wages to keep funding) to potentially lose them for nothing.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i guessing with our pressing game then we need to sub most of the mids in the 2nd half to keep them fresh and keep the press going - so maybe more bodies needed ?!
Bookings and suspensions are going to be way up on last season, a first choice and a sub going away to afcon, a squad player in that position injured Tuesday…and we want a dynamic, high pressing midfield.
So yes, we would need an absolute minimum of 4-5 defensive midfielders for those ‘2’ positions.
6 isn’t crazy given all circumstances above.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dario Osorio who we were linked with last year has signed for FC Midtyjlland
Pretty surprising considering who he were linked with including us.
But Denmarks richest person just bought Midtjylland so I guess they've some decent money for signings and salaries now
Oh and this by the way also means Benham no longer owns them. So no links to Brentford anymore

Reaction score
Pretty surprising considering who he were linked with including us.
But Denmarks richest person just bought Midtjylland so I guess they've some decent money for signings and salaries now
Oh and this by the way also means Benham no longer owns them. So no links to Brentford anymore
The links to Osorio seemed pretty solid, just shows believe nothing until theyre holding the shirt!

Back
Top Bottom