Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it’s Doyle, Bueno and Gonzalez for Nunes, I’m extremely underwhelmed, just as Nunes is finding his feet at this level.

If it’s also a direct midfield replacement for Nunes, and a centre forward so we aren’t relying on Sasa’s knees, I’m very happy.

Judge it at the end of the window I think. I’m hoping for the latter, but also wouldn’t be too surprised if those three is all the business we’ll do, based on the transfer window to date.
Agree. We need a quality midfield replacement beyond Doyle's level and a proper striker. Any less and the club have failed in my book bar Santiago who looks like a solid signing.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it’s Doyle, Bueno and Gonzalez for Nunes, I’m extremely underwhelmed, just as Nunes is finding his feet at this level.

If it’s also a direct midfield replacement for Nunes, and a centre forward so we aren’t relying on Sasa’s knees, I’m very happy.

Judge it at the end of the window I think. I’m hoping for the latter, but also wouldn’t be too surprised if those three is all the business we’ll do, based on the transfer window to date.
Not sure what the evidence is that he's finding his feet at this level, aside from a good second half against United

Whose midfield gave him more space to run into than the time the Red Sea parted for Moses

bigwolf

Reaction score
So what do we think then?

If this is it, we've unexpectedly lost Collins, a bit less unexpectedly lost Nunes but it was a bit of a surprise so late in the window. The rest of the departures were pretty much nailed on.

All being well we'll have added Doc on a free, a third keeper, a highly-rated young winger/attacker from Uruguay, a reasonably experienced, pacy central defender and a highly rated young attacking midfielder from the reigning treble winners.

We've got Fabio back in the squad and Sasa is nearing full fitness.

After all is said and done, I'm pretty happy with that. There's even time for Hobbs to pull another rabbit out of the hat.

A good or relatively competent striker would be the icing on the cake.

Ask me in ten games time.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey talk about over the top. The Nunes deal seems very average to me if its still only £47m and we only have an option on an unproven at Premier League level Doyle. All the money up front is a plus. But we rejected £47m initially so we have hardly improved the position since!
We will see what other signings transpire but its very late in the day and the risk of things falling through massively increases. So let's wait before we praise anyone. Hobbs has been given a bad hand by the club this summer like Loptegui and I don't envy him having to rush through deals now. Organised chaos which sums up Fosun's handling of the club over the past three years.
To get that much money upfront in the current market is a significant achievement.

The option is well done as city are very difficult to buy top academy graduates from and he is seen very much as one.

Also, the work he has done to get the funds he has on other transfers has been very good too.

He has had a successful summer with the structures he has to work within

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what do we think then?

If this is it, we've unexpectedly lost Collins, a bit less unexpectedly lost Nunes but it was a bit of a surprise so late in the window. The rest of the departures were pretty much nailed on.

All being well we'll have added Doc on a free, a third keeper, a highly-rated young winger/attacker from Uruguay, a reasonably experienced, pacy central defender and a highly rated young attacking midfielder from the reigning treble winners.

We've got Fabio back in the squad and Sasa is nearing full fitness.

After all is said and done, I'm pretty happy with that. There's even time for Hobbs to pull another rabbit out of the hat.

A good or relatively competent striker would be the icing on the cake.
Doyle is unproven at Premier League level. The Paraguay kid at 18 is one for the future and again has a huge leap to make. Santiago is the only solid signing assuming he signs. A striker and a quality midfield replacement are not icing on the cake they are the very least needed to make up for selling our best player for not that much by current transfer market standards.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle is unproven at Premier League level. The Paraguay kid at 18 is one for the future and again has a huge leap to make. Santiago is the only solid signing assuming he signs. A striker and a quality midfield replacement are not icing on the cake they are the very least needed to make up for selling our best player for not that much by current transfer market standards.
100% agree.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To get that much money upfront in the current market is a significant achievement.

The option is well done as city are very difficult to buy top academy graduates from and he is seen very much as one.

Also, the work he has done to get the funds he has on other transfers has been very good too.

If we don't get another centre forward it will be a poor window for me. The guy doesn't have to be a world beater.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sorry but Doyle unlike McAtee is not even in the first team squad plans this season. They keep the best graduates like McAtee and sell the others like Trafford going to Burnley on an inflated fee. Hobbs has been given a very difficult task and he was aligned with Loptegui before the latter was forced out. I will wait till Sept 2 before deciding that he has done a stellar job. On the face of it Man City have barely budged bar perhaps agreeing to their original bid being all up front. Talk of £60m seems like nonsense now.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you consider in in the context of our January business as well and the muddle we got ourselves in with JL I don't think it's too bad at all. I agree we're a striker short in an ideal world.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't get another centre forward it will be a poor window for me. The guy doesn't have to be a world beater.
But at the moment the market of available strikers isn’t great I have been told.

And those who are in the “ok” bracket are way overpriced because of it…..

This is a challenge for most clubs at the minute

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but Doyle unlike McAtee is not even in the first team squad plans this season. They keep the best graduates like McAtee and sell the others like Trafford going to Burnley on an inflated fee. Hobbs has been given a very difficult task and he was aligned with Loptegui before the latter was forced out. I will wait till Sept 2 before deciding that he has done a stellar job. On the face of it Man City have barely budged bar perhaps agreeing to their original bid being all up front. Talk of £60m seems like nonsense now.
Doyle is more first team ready than hodge in my opinion. He adds to the depth chart for us and that is important in the central areas as we will loose lemina and J.Gomes to totting up bans soon enough.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A striker isn't an icing on the cake it's the bare minimum from this window for me. Also I'd rather have had Brownhill than Doyle tbh.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But at the moment the market of available strikers isn’t great I have been told.

And those who are in the “ok” bracket are way overpriced because of it…..

This is a challenge for most clubs at the minute
I'm okay with us paying over the odds for someone who might bring in only 5 or 6 goals in that position. We can't have another season destroyed because we don't have enough competition up front.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
WE NEED A ****ING STRIKER

It has only been three seasons Wolves. Six transfer windows.

GET ONE.
Yes, yes, yes-see post below.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why on earth would anyone rather have the consistently average brownhill over the high potential Doyle?
Because we have the high potential gomes and the High potential traore and teams packed with only players of high potential don't tend to reach any of the high potential. Brownhill is a good player, one of the best in the championship last year and right now is better than Doyle in my opinion. You need a balance of kids and experience. I expect doyle to come in and barely play, or if he does it will be at the expense of Gomes.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I for one think he’s worked miracles under difficult circumstances

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Brighton sign these players,they work wonder come on give us a break let’s see how they perform

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re strikers Walsall -Yes but at this stage who is left who can make a difference? Most of the best candidates have been snapped up. Ekitike is the best one out there available but West Ham are on that and other clubs too. We will have to settle for second best assuming anything happens at all. Iheanacho perhaps. The kind of striker who is not bad but who will never provide the rate of goalscoring we so desperately need.

Last edited:

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The £47m upfront is massive .. will clear any cash flow of FPP problems and even the loss scenario if Fosun are not guaranteed for the 3 years loss allowed.. the players we sign will be amortized over 5 years .. at present Enso at £5m and Bueno at £10m equates to £3m this year a couple more players say £45m and we have £60m equating to £12m on this years bottom line .. no expert on finances but how it seems .. sure the experts on the mix will correct me if wrong

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Brighton sign these players,they work wonder come on give us a break let’s see how they perform
Yes hopefully he is the new Maradona but at 18 with no experience outside Paraguay let's not pretend he is going to walk into the first team. Potential yes and all for signing these types of players. But our priority is to avoid relegation this season and actually take a point or more off the likes of mid table teams like Palace this Sunday!

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The £47m upfront is massive .. will clear any cash flow of FPP problems and even the loss scenario if Fosun are not guaranteed for the 3 years loss allowed.. the players we sign will be amortized over 5 years .. at present Enso at £5m and Bueno at £10m equates to £3m this year a couple more players say £45m and we have £60m equating to £12m on this years bottom line .. no expert on finances but how it seems .. sure the experts on the mix will correct me if wrong
So we have 45 mill to spend then

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what is the actual fee?
E&S report £47m flat fee.
Percy reports package up to £60m with £47m cash up front.

Do we know whether the add ons are realistic ?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Huge financial plus for us. But under hobbs & the new strategy we will not go crazy thankfully

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
We need a striker
WE NEED A ****ING STRIKER

It has only been three seasons Wolves. Six transfer windows.

GET ONE.
i actually disagree. we have Silva, signed for £35m, and now getting a chance.
We have Sasa, signed for £15m and now getting fit.
We then have Cunha.

we play generally one up top so would stick with those unless we identified a real talent that was attainable.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£42m +£5m (add-ons) + Tommy Doyle for Matheus Nunes in effect? Looks a pretty terrible deal to me.

Did say the money was largely irrelevant though, as it depends on how it's spent, so will judge properly then.

We need Bueno & 2/3 others to make it worthwhile IMO.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because we have the high potential gomes and the High potential traore and teams packed with only players of high potential don't tend to reach any of the high potential. Brownhill is a good player, one of the best in the championship last year and right now is better than Doyle in my opinion. You need a balance of kids and experience. I expect doyle to come in and barely play, or if he does it will be at the expense of Gomes.
I’ve never seen brownhill as anythjng other than bang average tbh, and at 27 he’ll never be anything more.

I don’t want us to sign bang average players

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
£42m +£5m (add-ons) + Tommy Doyle for Matheus Nunes in effect? Looks a pretty terrible deal to me.

Did say the money was largely irrelevant though, as it depends on how it's spent, so will judge properly then.

We need Bueno & 2/3 others to make it worthwhile IMO.
Where have you got those numbers from? Being reported as far higher.

Back
Top Bottom