Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s right though - people going crazy over what “might” happen need some more stability in their lives….
How many, if any, of us would have detailed the utter fiasco that has gone on this summer if asked to offer thoughts at the end of last season on how events would unfold before the start of 23/24. Pretty much everyone thought that squad reshaping, with old stalwarts and some not good enough moving on and some new, likely young prospects, blood coming in was the order of the day. After what has actually happened you better believe that people are speculating.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How many, if any, of us would have detailed the utter fiasco that has gone on this summer if asked to offer thoughts at the end of last season on how events would unfold before the start of 23/24. Pretty much everyone thought that squad reshaping, with old stalwarts and some not good enough moving on and some new, likely young prospects, blood coming in was the order of the day. After what has actually happened you better believe that people are speculating.
And how is that improving any of their lives? Or the lives of anyone going on the transfer thread to read about transfers and instead reading the literary incontinence of over caffeinated muppets who only live to spout rubbish on the internet?

It’s just boring tbh, it’s the same people saying how **** everything is, day after day, thinking it’s amazing insight that fosun should leave or we might sell another player.

And you’re probably right, I just shouldn’t read it - but I read the transfer thread in the faint hope that we may have been linked with anyone…

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We ain't signing Creswell and Antonio is all paper talk....we have massively reduced the wage bill , that's by choice....both of those two would be on big wages ..neither is happening in my opinion...

Would go totally against everything that has happened this summer...
If one recent post is true l hope that this is it

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If one recent post is true l hope that this is it
Just can't see it...we've got rid of all the old ones on big money....we ain't gonna bring in new ones are we....

It's not what you do when you are cost cutting....

I'm just hoping for a centre back and a suprise loan or loan option on a striker.... someone like Simon Banza who was mentioned the other day...who's wages are probably well in line with the cost cutting exercise.....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just can't see it...we've got rid of all the old ones on big money....we ain't gonna bring in new ones are we....

It's not what you do when you are cost cutting....

I'm just hoping for a centre back and a suprise loan or loan option on a striker.... someone like Simon Banza who was mentioned the other day...who's wages are probably well in line with the cost cutting exercise.....
What you say in your first two paras is eminently logic. However, so much has gone on that isn't......

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It really is amazing and, frankly, galling! I am just watching Barcelona - remember all that talk of Ansu Fati at the start of the window? It is quite unbelievable how the last 10 weeks have played out from there!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a bit surreal Chelsea’s spending. Enzo Fernandes is a killer though, we were so close to him now look

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think that takes it above £850m spent since Boehly took over…

Just proving the unfairness of FFP... nothing "Fair" about it, any team below the big 6 and possibly Newcastle aren't going to be able to complete.

If you look at the sales Brighton have made they have sold nearly 400 million pounds worth of players over the last few seasons. Good business by them but with talent worth that amount why haven't Brighton secured a champions league place or anything of note? Most of the sales are vastly over inflate once the top 6 get involved.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just proving the unfairness of FFP... nothing "Fair" about it, any team below the big 6 and possibly Newcastle aren't going to be able to complete.

If you look at the sales Brighton have made they have sold nearly 400 million pounds worth of players over the last few seasons. Good business by them but with talent worth that amount why haven't Brighton secured a champions league place or anything of note? Most of the sales are vastly over inflate once the top 6 get involved.
Brighton are a ‘conveyor belt’ of talent. Buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, sell.

Good luck to them and they deserve a lot of credit, but if I was a Brighton fan I would be completely exasperated at watching the players being cherry picked season after season.

At some time in the future I am sure other clubs will cotton on to their strategy and copy it. Brighton will be known as the catalyst that started the perfect way of how to run a Premier League football club If you are outside the so called big 6.

A lot of their talent has been purchased from South America (Caicedo, Enciso, Estupinan to name a few) and we have got Joao Gomes, who is young and looks real.y good. Maybe that’s the market to be in.

Last edited:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good luck to them and they deserve a lot of credit, but if I was a Brighton fan I would be completely exasperated at watching the players being cherry picked season after season.

At some time in the future I am sure other clubs will cotton on to their strategy and copy it. Brighton will be known as the catalyst that started the perfect way of how to run a Premier League football club If you are outside the so called big 6.

A lot of their talent has been purchased from South America (Caicedo, Enciso, Estupinan to name a few) and we have got Joao Gomes, who is young and looks real.y good. Maybe that’s the market to be in.
I wouldn't be. Have you seen the football they play? Really entertaining and it must be great to know you can sell a player and another one is coming through.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We ain't signing Creswell and Antonio is all paper talk....we have massively reduced the wage bill , that's by choice....both of those two would be on big wages ..neither is happening in my opinion...

Would go totally against everything that has happened this summer...
Its not paper talk. We have made an offer for Antonio, and I believe we will sign Cresswell when Ait Nori leaves for France.

Contrary to what you say its in line with everything that has happened this summer.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be. Have you seen the football they play? Really entertaining and it must be great to know you can sell a player and another one is coming through.
Tbf, this won’t continue imo. They are currently in a purple patch but all good things come to an end. The bigger clubs will come and take Brighton’s scouts too if they continue to unearth these players that go for vastly inflated sums. Think back to Southampton for example when they were producing quality players and Liverpool came calling regularly.

This is Brighton’s moment in the spotlight and they are rightly being lauded for their approach and style of play. Imo it’ll not last long term and let’s see how they get on when results start to see them scrapping for points.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, this won’t continue imo. They are currently in a purple patch but all good things come to an end. The bigger clubs will come and take Brighton’s scouts too if they continue to unearth these players that go for vastly inflated sums. Think back to Southampton for example when they were producing quality players and Liverpool came calling regularly.

This is Brighton’s moment in the spotlight and they are rightly being lauded for their approach and style of play. Imo it’ll not last long term and let’s see how they get on when results start to see them scrapping for points.
Only ever a couple of departures/sales and a few flop replacements away from your momentum going in completely the other direction. Be interesting to see if/when that happens in their case

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not paper talk. We have made an offer for Antonio, and I believe we will sign Cresswell when Ait Nori leaves for France.

Contrary to what you say its in line with everything that has happened this summer.
We will see... bringing players in on decent wages hasn't happened at all this summer....or even bringing any players in at all...

Rayan could be sold agree ...but neither Antonio or Creswell would be a loan or a free transfer....

Last edited:

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regards Brighton, Southampton were doing this a decade ago, they won **** all and ended up in the championship.
Yep exactly, there's only so much talent you can un-earth to keep the plates spinning. Eventually you will sign a dud and then thats when the trouble starts.
Fair play to them, wish we were in their position, so far they've replaced wisely and moved players on at the right time. Another top half finish for them this season and a decent run in Europe.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regards Brighton, Southampton were doing this a decade ago, they won **** all and ended up in the championship.
Southampton did it with their own players as well, via an excellent academy.

Brighton buy and sell, although they seem to have unearthed a gem in home grown Evan Ferguson.

Good luck to Brighton, but how long before the bubble bursts and De Zerbi becomes the next to be cherry picked, followed by their scouting department.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck to Brighton, but how long before the bubble bursts and De Zerbi becomes the next to be cherry picked, followed by their scouting department.

Maybe, although people were worried when Potter left and they came back stronger.

Their competative advantage is deeper than most thanks to Tony Bloom's data modelling and integration with his company, I think it's called "gekko" something which underpins their recruitment strategy. That would be tougher to dislodge.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There is a long list of clubs who’ve managed to sustain themselves for a few years without spending crazy money. It can work for a time, but it hasn’t lasted indefinitely once to date. You can add Stoke, WBA, Boro and a host of others. They generally all end up back in the Champ eventually when they run out of luck or accumulate too many mistakes in coaches and/or players.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Other clubs have done this for years, it’s nothing new. Big clubs have always taken players from smaller clubs. . Wimbledon sold a top player every year. It’s great when you successfully replace them but you’re only a couple of flops away from the business model unravelling.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So true!!

A couple of bad picks with all the money they have brought in, like southampton and it all collapses.

Didn’t their expert scout leave?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is a long list of clubs who’ve managed to sustain themselves for a few years without spending crazy money. It can work for a time, but it hasn’t lasted indefinitely once to date. You can add Stoke, WBA, Boro and a host of others. They generally all end up back in the Champ eventually when they run out of luck or accumulate too many mistakes in coaches and/or players.
I can recall the fans of at least two of those clubs being unhappy at the style of 'football' their teams were adopting in order to stay in the PL, and for many such the Championship will not be a disappointment. A few years of scrambling for points, winning precious few matches with backs to the wall tactics might wear many supporters down. With the exception of 6 or 7 teams those outside that group have the spectre always in the backgound, if they are honest.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What the hell is hobbs doing? Where are the clever loans he should be doing?
I’d imagine the loan deals (if any) will be deadline day or thereabouts. Players who clubs ideally want rid of will suddenly become available on a loan with an option/obligation.

I wish, like everyone, that we had players through the door but the loan market was never going to be an early option, imo.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who is your NFL team Derby?

The Bengals. years in the wilderness, widely regarded as cheap and unlikely to amount to anything. Been following since 2015. First season watching they get to the playoffs and have "The Meltdown at Paul Brown" against the Steelers. Typical for me.

Different story now.

Back
Top Bottom