Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another day and sweet FA regarding incomings. Enjoying the moral discussion about money, though. o_O
It’s early doors, besides we play porto later tonight, and it should give a good indication of where we are at

Raul be confirmed today we would think

2 and half weeks until the season starts :)

No news is good news??

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think it’s a difficult one.

As a supporter I’ve never felt so disconnected from my club, and that’s not Wolves’ fault really. The amount of money in the game, the corruption at the top, the effect VAR is having on going to a game. Football is ultimately a social/leisure activity for the majority of fans, we meet up with friends/family, a chance to talk, laugh. It’s why the pandemic hit everyone so hard, for so many without going to the football they wouldn’t see anyone. But it feels less and less like leisure, it’s much more cold, corporate.

I don’t blame the players at all it’s unfair to ask them to turn down insane money. But how can we have families in this country having to use food banks, and at the same time have footballers earning €700m a year? It’s completely unbalanced.

Feels to me like football is on a runaway train and it will soon run out of track, and when it does it will be catastrophic.

Just my opinion.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The money discussion makes me laugh, the premier league started all this 30 years ago. Now there is a bigger dog in the fight they can’t handle it. Reap what you sow.

On the other hand though, no matter how much they spend, every week will just be like glorified exhibition games. You can’t buy atmosphere or history, or community.

It’s actually making a complete mockery of so called elite level football. I actually think it’s quite funny. If it long term means a return in the UK to something vaguely resembling what football was like pre 1992, I’m all for it.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As a supporter I’ve never felt so disconnected from my club, and that’s not Wolves’ fault really. The amount of money in the game, the corruption at the top, the effect VAR is having on going to a game. Football is ultimately a social/leisure activity for the majority of fans, we meet up with friends/family, a chance to talk, laugh. It’s why the pandemic hit everyone so hard, for so many without going to the football they wouldn’t see anyone. But it feels less and less like leisure, it’s much more cold, corporate.

I don’t blame the players at all it’s unfair to ask them to turn down insane money. But how can we have families in this country having to use food banks, and at the same time have footballers earning €700m a year? It’s completely unbalanced.

Feels to me like football is on a runaway train and it will soon run out of track, and when it does it will be catastrophic.

Just my opinion.
The social aspect is probably the best part

But the love of the game has gone for many like you say VAR has killed it

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s an interesting point.

commercially, few payments are made immediately in one lump sum so from that perspective football is no different.

you’re absolutely right that paying in instalments muddies the water somewhat and can lead to situations like we are in right now, and overstretched.

Bristol City are absolutely within their rights to structure their deal how they want. my only caveat is that they have to be fair to the player too.
It would be a way to replace FFP; have a rule that all teams have to pay transfer fees in full (even get rid of add ons) alongside that clubs couldn’t hold debts, apart from to pay existing wage commitments or infrastructure improvements. Effectively it would be a transfer ban if you haven’t the money and you could only spend what you actually have. Not spending the tv money you expect to get in 5 years time!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sense today is the today.
I'm not ITK, sitting up a tree or residing in someones's dustbin, but still remain mildly optimistic as I like to be one of those "glass half full" types.

If buggar all happens, I can at least cut and paste in readiness for tomorrow.
UTW

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Yep
Pretty much
Think they can buy the world with oil money while the world pays its highest price for energy ever and people go hungry.

Don’t get me started on Saudi human rights record either
Or there abysmal record on equality

They are trying to buy all sport because they can and sportsman are seeing the dollar signs and securing their futures in one contract

That does not make it right . I have worked hard all my life but in 50 years I won’t make what mbappe is making in a day

I repeat it’s disgraceful
You'd have him playing for us though I'll bet
But that’s not what is happening. Saudi money is the equivalent of 5 generations . It’s absolutely morally wrong. Average players will be millionaires there on 4 or 5 times premier salary. Mitrovic has already shown his true colours by throwing his toys out of the pram the ****. I like him even less and it was a low bar.
Let Saudi have their mercenary footballers and perhaps in 5 years the premier league will be more competitive and less predictable
So if Neves wanted to come back in the future you're against that?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be a way to replace FFP; have a rule that all teams have to pay transfer fees in full (even get rid of add ons) alongside that clubs couldn’t hold debts, apart from to pay existing wage commitments or infrastructure improvements. Effectively it would be a transfer ban if you haven’t the money and you could only spend what you actually have. Not spending the tv money you expect to get in 5 years time!
i really like this idea!

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Just my opinion.
The obscenity, and that's what it is, of the money already being paid to footballers, has taken the edge of my appetite for the game for a decade or more. I still and always will follow the Wolves, I will still get to see them play when I reasonably can, and hope for their long-term success, but I will never reconcile the money aspect of football with the huge percentage of people in the real world, who are far more useful to society, but who struggle to ease enough out of their earnings to pay and watch a game.
As for the possible catastrophe you mention, the sooner the better!

R

reanswolf

Morals and football go together like oil and water, that’s very shaky ground in my opinion.
Agree totally, that is why so many people found it objectionable that players were preaching the public when it came to BLM.

It’s not that it’s not a justifiable cause, the cause is irrelevant, it’s the fact that overpaid footballers felt they could preach to the average person.

We have seen just how strong their morals really are with Jordan Henderson.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The obscenity, and that's what it is, of the money already being paid to footballers, has taken the edge of my appetite for the game for a decade or more. I still and always will follow the Wolves, I will still get to see them play when I reasonably can, and hope for their long-term success, but I will never reconcile the money aspect of football with the huge percentage of people in the real world, who are far more useful to society, but who struggle to ease enough out of their earnings to pay and watch a game.
As for the possible catastrophe you mention, the sooner the better!
I feel the same.
Football got ****ed up allready via the Bosman ruling way back when.
Free movement is also a negativity and so on...english teams playing in the english leagues and not a brit in the starting eleven?
Football ain´t the normal 7-4 or 9-5 job.It is different and needs a different set of rules.
The money involved is absolutely grotesque..and there is now hope that the Saudis will break the camels back regarding this issue.
Football needs regulation,it needed it yesterday.
A cap on wages is the only foreseeable way forward..cause later down the line more people will feel like Golden Oldie and me here.
It is certainly not as fun as it used to be.Basically,I only watch Wolves nowadays..and my local swedish team.
Not even the WC is what it used to be.
The average football fan has lost out.
It´s a shame.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just my opinion.
And thats why I was sort of hoping that clubs like Derby, Bolton, or even a "bigger club" etc, actually went out of business as a result of their recent financial struggles. The football world needs some sort of major shock for them to wake up and smell the coffee.
Maybe the TV world will change with a growth in streaming etc; maybe Sky and TNT will offer less money next time round; maybe the Govt will ban sports betting advertising and added together that may put a few more clubs in danger.
And lets be clear, if Fosun lose interest and decide to "do a Thomas Cook" with us, then we are in the ****. And for all those clamouring for the next signing that most of us have never heard for £25-40M and a £100K a week plus, then be assured we are also part of the problem!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40m is steep for him, no way he's worth 50m
Quite. Ok, he can run and press a lot, and Pochettino does like a high pressing game.
But apart from that, and late arrival in the box, he’s utter ****e at any other midfield job.
How do you have a £50m midfielder that can’t find space in the middle of the park or pass the ball?
His England cameo has to be one of the worst performances I’ve seen by anyone, ever.

This is Chelsea trying to fleece Wet Spam because of the big fat Rice fee sitting in their pocket, and the big hole he leaves. Connor Gallagher ain’t going to fill it.
Surely can’t see their fans being all ‘just pay it’ like we are with Scott. £50m!!! Madness.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we want to be competitive then we have to pay the money, so of course we're 'part of the problem '. If people feel they don't like this then they surely can't complain about lack of incoming transfers or eventual relegation.
I dont see we have a choice.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40m is steep for him, no way he's worth 50m
Wouldn’t pay over 25m for him. English tax is ridiculous.

Why I would of kept Giles for further forward role. His price would significantly increase.

You can see why many clubs use the foreign market. Prices of British players is out of control

30m for Maguire for example lol he would have no resale value either

Chelsea fans regard Conor Gallagher as headless chicken.

Let’s be honest he looked good doing that at palace and albion. Not a team that’s meant to have quality about them

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More rumours were 'interested' in Emiliano Martinez from FC Midtjylland for £2.4M. Seems to be about our budget this window so could be some truth in this one.
£2.4M would be an absolute steal. He's really good.
As stated earlier, he's outgrown the Danish league but it's always a question whether a player can then make the step up, but can't see why not. He certainly has the attributes.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
£2.4M would be an absolute steal. He's really good.
As stated earlier, he's outgrown the Danish league but it's always a question whether a player can then make the step up, but can't see why not. He certainly has the attributes.

Looks big enough and quick enough to be effective, guessing this opens the door for a loan for Hodge, if it happens

Back
Top Bottom