Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it possible we’re being asset stripped right before our eyes. Then we will be sold?

No, that wouldn't make sense.

It'd be like knocking down an extension before you sell your house, then being surprised when you get less money for it!

DJLWolf

Reaction score
This place will cheer up when we go and spank 60/70 million on 4/5 players that Lopetegui wants and will mostly come straight in and improve our first 11.

I refuse to accept that all of these outgoings weren't part of the overall plan to improve the quality of an imbalanced/ bloated squad.

This is what all of the discussions were about between Lop and shi/Hobbs at the end of the season - drastic changes were clearly what Lop demanded and it's what we needed.

Now time for the incomings........... I hope!

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 35860

As unsettling as the outgoings are, when you look at it like this, they do seem to have things well in hand. Podence and Jonny to go, Cundle for loan. Scott and Elvedi in, if that comes to pass. Silva, Ait-Nouri and Sa to allegedly be decided. Kaladzjic fitness undetermined.

That really isn't too bad, you know.

Until we get an injury or two then our bench starts to look like this again:
1690132122573.png

Apart from a lack of depth and the team being chronically unable to score a goal, yeah things are fine.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, that wouldn't make sense.

It'd be like knocking down an extension before you sell your house, then being surprised when you get less money for it!
Yeah.. it’s more likely we’re trimming the fat before sale. Not that I believe that’s what’s happening.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Fabio counts as U21 too.
I think you are correct. For the 2022/23 season, Under-21 players will have been born on or after January 1, 2001. So for 2023/24, the cut-off date will be January 1, 2002. So I think Fabio has another year where he wouldn't count to that non-homegrown number, good spot.

So @North West Wanderer I think we're actually at 15/17 including Jonny, Podence, and Sa!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all Fosun's criticism, I think most would agree they plan ahead.

They are intelligent and they run their businesses well.

To go from spending, or committing to spend, what we did in January - and have Hobbs on camera saying 'the project is back on', to scrambling around like we are now is not normal.

We don't know the details yet, but something significant has changed with them.
We over spent in January and were always going to need to claim a chunk of it back this summer.
I was about the only person on here disappointed with our January business.
Neves is the only player I'm bothered about leaving and I get why that had to happen.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The panic on here is way OTT to be honest.

So far we have sold a grand total of ONE guaranteed first team starter…..ONE. And he was always going to leave regardless.

We have moved a lot of squad players and made pretty good money on it too.

We have money, we just need to be careful with it.

If we started today with the squad we have we still wouldn’t go down. We have what I consider to be an elite manager. If we werent going to back him he’d be off. If and when he goes then I will start to fret. Until then we all need to believe that he will release players he wants to release and we will get the players in he wants.

Keep the faith. You want a real laugh have a look in Smethwick. We’re fine.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think you are correct. For the 2022/23 season, Under-21 players will have been born on or after January 1, 2001. So for 2023/24, the cut-off date will be January 1, 2002. So I think Fabio has another year where he wouldn't count to that non-homegrown number, good spot.

So @North West Wanderer I think we're actually at 15/17 including Jonny, Podence, and Sa!

That looks about right, and as @Surrey Wolf says Fabio will count as HG next year, providing he plays this year in UK. Can worry about that one later though…

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We over spent in January and were always going to need to claim a chunk of it back this summer.
I was about the only person on here disappointed with our January business.
Neves is the only player I'm bothered about leaving and I get why that had to happen.
For the record, you were far from the only one less than happy with our January business. We overpaid big time on Cunha, and we didn't buy a goalscorer. Having said that I think are all glad we bought in Dawson and Lemina.

lmuwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Imagine being Palace. Zaha gone on a free and Olise being linked with City/Chelsea.

They've bought nobody.

People need to calm down.

Normally the big bots do the business first then it filters down.

Unfortunately the Saudis are having there say first and we just get pushed further down the food chain.

Things will happen, there's no panic, why should there be? It's a sign of weakness.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Getting rid of the players we have/are about to and replacing with the likes of Doc, Cresswell, if he comes, is smart business. Outgoing players will be a huge saving on wages and neither Doc or Cresswell will be on massive wages and the team is no weaker. Pity this strategy wasn’t used previously. Then we would have funds set by to go and buy real quality when needed.

I could be wrong but I think our plan has been well thought out. Just because we aren’t buying players willy-nilly for silly amounts, doesn’t mean we have no money. Just means we are being sensible Imo.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

excellent, so this makes more sense now. you know me, all about the positives!!

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The panic on here is way OTT to be honest.

So far we have sold a grand total of ONE guaranteed first team starter…..ONE. And he was always going to leave regardless.

We have moved a lot of squad players and made pretty good money on it too.

We have money, we just need to be careful with it.

If we started today with the squad we have we still wouldn’t go down. We have what I consider to be an elite manager. If we werent going to back him he’d be off. If and when he goes then I will start to fret. Until then we all need to believe that he will release players he wants to release and we will get the players in he wants.

Keep the faith. You want a real laugh have a look in Smethwick. We’re fine.
Your point is clear, correct, and sensible. What are you doing on the Mix?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if they were skint, wouldn't they have known in January? So Hobbs shouldn't be saying that on camera. Equally so, they shouldn't be committing £40m on Cunha if we're skint - and let's not forget it was an obligation even if we went down, and we were odds-on to be relegated at the time!!

I don't know how you go from that to this.

The FFP they certainly should have known in January. As you say, we're way past that being an issue now though.

It doesn't make sense at all.

Pre-relegation threat. Post-relegation threat . Priorities change.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
I think body language shows so much and JL looks relaxed and happy, that to me shows he knows things we dont, ill reserve judgement on this window when it ends
Yeah doesn't look like someone about to walk ... looks more like someone cooking something, as the kids say.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 35860

As unsettling as the outgoings are, when you look at it like this, they do seem to have things well in hand. Podence and Jonny to go, Cundle for loan. Scott and Elvedi in, if that comes to pass. Silva, Ait-Nouri and Sa to allegedly be decided. Kaladzjic fitness undetermined.

Just one attacker short for me.........Nunes instead of Hodge..... Cunha with Scott ........we need a right sided attacker ....

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 35860

I honestly don't know what the panic is

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until we get an injury or two then our bench starts to look like this again:
View attachment 35861

Apart from a lack of depth and the team being chronically unable to score a goal, yeah things are fine.
Well, there are 22 players there, and youth on the fringes to come in, which most other clubs outside the top ones do.

Honestly, it wouldn't be my ideal either. It's functional rather than sexy, it screams of a strategy that's"17th or above" and I would have another striker in there as well as having kept Chiquinho. But, if this is the way we're cutting our cloth, it could definitely be worse.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 35860

Except for perhaps a silva replacement I think that's roughly what we'll end up with. It's 'ok'. It's not exciting and we have got to play more attack minded football but there's enough there for a lower/mid-table prem team.

A lot of pressure on the forward line to deliver where previously they'd failed badly though, and several players there with poor recent injury records too.

We're not getting any new money in from fosun so the collins and ruben fees have likely just gone to ffp/covering january. Anything else is from raul, podence, coady, saved wages etc.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope this is the case and time will tell as none of us have crystal balls.

But I’ll be the first to say you were right if this happens.
Having crystal balls would certainly be a novelty, and no doubt an attraction to some.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except for perhaps a silva replacement I think that's roughly what we'll end up with. It's 'ok'. It's not exciting and we have got to play more attack minded football but there's enough there for a lower/mid-table prem team.

A lot of pressure on the forward line to deliver where previously they'd failed badly though, and several players there with poor recent injury records too.

We're not getting any new money in from fosun so the collins and ruben fees have likely just gone to ffp/covering january. Anything else is from raul, podence, coady, saved wages etc.
Yes. The fact we bid for the Argentinian chap who went to Genoa shows that we're in the market, and while I'd love to believe that's in addition or as a Raul replacement, I strongly suspect it's to replace Silva. If Hobbs can get someone to put their hand in their pocket for £20m, I reckon he goes.

Back
Top Bottom