Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is a powerful tool. Most on here were creaming themselves when we signed Guedes, Nunes and Cunha. Including Fabio, only Guedes has turned out to be an abject failure…so far! I’m hopeful that this season may see Fabio, Cunha and Nunes blossom. Then our player recruitment will be seen as fantastic. Let’s wait and see.
I’m with you all the way in hoping that some of these guys step up. They need to.

Fosun have spent an awful lot and not got great value for money last couple years.

I’ve got absolutely no problem with them becoming more careful with their money and getting better value. They need to.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen that BMG has found there replacement for Elvedi and that they are closing in on signing him from Leeds United.

I imagine his move here will be done, once they have sorted stuff out from there end.

And as a reminder folks, there is far more to life than football and people having a collective paddy about who is and isn’t coming in.

Seriously would be worth the Mix being shut down until United away on the opening weekend and thus people getting on with there business…

Jericho

Groupie
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter who the owner is, idiots like this will still be saying the same thing. All they want is spend spend spend. Clearly learned nothing that signing new players is no guarantee of anything at our level of football. Many clubs have got into trouble spending recklessly. The biggest example in more recent years has been Everton.

Our current owners are savy and are not risk averse. They have been prepared to spend big on young talent that they hope will mature. I do think we need to be careful on buying depreciating assets though but you do need experience in the squad. Our progress since Fosun took over was rapid at first but even if we had made Europe every season since, some folks would still be coming out with the same spend spend spend rhetoric.

We've had posts about the paint in the stadium, lack of player transfers in and now calls that Fosun are bankrupt today. Joke a minute this forum.

Patience and calm heads are needed. Fortunately, we appear to have exactly that running the club rather than some of the idiots spouting off here today. #WolvesAyWe

What a load of wet talk.

What about the last 12 months suggests Fosun are Savvy? Have we forgotten about Sellars deciding subs? What about having no replacement lined up for Lage for a month? Nunes was signed after we lost to soon-to-be relegated Leeds because they knew we were doomed otherwise.

No one's asking to spunk money up the wall on another Fabio and Guedes, but Christ above, the squad needs bolstering and no one buys the FFP BS anymore.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all Fosun's criticism, I think most would agree they plan ahead.

They are intelligent and they run their businesses well.

To go from spending, or committing to spend, what we did in January - and have Hobbs on camera saying 'the project is back on', to scrambling around like we are now is not normal.

We don't know the details yet, but something significant has changed with them.
Either that or we are in store for an absolutely mental next few weeks.

Still think Lopetegui being here means a lot of these noises are just a smokescreen.

R

reanswolf

Just seen that BMG has found there replacement for Elvedi and that they are closing in on signing him from Leeds United.

I imagine his move here will be done, once they have sorted stuff out from there end.

And as a reminder folks, there is far more to life than football and people having a collective paddy about who is and isn’t coming in.

Seriously would be worth the Mix being shut down until United away on the opening weekend and thus people getting on with there business…
I haven’t ever found anything more important than Wolves.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing that confuses me a little is this:

We spent the best part of 100 million in January on a gamble and it worked. I didn't think it would, but fair play, we stayed up.

But now we can't afford 15 million for a key position because of FFP issues

So I have two questions:
1) Did Fosun not think this would happen in January? Did they not appreciate FFP was an issue?
2) What would have happened if the gamble failed?

Selling the squad fillers makes good financial sense, especially those on big wages.

I'd have much rather signed Gyokeres than Retegui. I like the look of the latter but Italians rarely seem to prosper in England and we've been very much stung once before on that front!

That notwithstanding, I find it crazy that no one planned ahead for the Summer in January. It's not as if FFP is a new thing

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all Fosun's criticism, I think most would agree they plan ahead.

They are intelligent and they run their businesses well.

To go from spending, or committing to spend, what we did in January - and have Hobbs on camera saying 'the project is back on', to scrambling around like we are now is not normal.

We don't know the details yet, but something significant has changed with them.

I'd forgotten about those 'project back on' comments from Hobbs in Jan. And then this 6 months later.

They're skint and it's no more complicated than that.

That's okay btw, it happens I suppose. Just don't insult everyone's intelligence with the FFP horse****.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about those 'project back on' comments from Hobbs in Jan. And then this 6 months later.

They're skint and it's no more complicated than that.

That's okay btw, it happens I suppose. Just don't insult everyone's intelligence with the FFP horse****.

But if they were skint, wouldn't they have known in January? So Hobbs shouldn't be saying that on camera. Equally so, they shouldn't be committing £40m on Cunha if we're skint - and let's not forget it was an obligation even if we went down, and we were odds-on to be relegated at the time!!

I don't know how you go from that to this.

The FFP they certainly should have known in January. As you say, we're way past that being an issue now though.

It doesn't make sense at all.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if they were skint, wouldn't they have known in January? So Hobbs shouldn't be saying that on camera. Equally so, they shouldn't be committing £40m on Cunha if we're skint - and let's not forget it was an obligation even if we went down, and we were odds-on to be relegated at the time!!

The FFP they certainly should have known in January. As you say, we're way past that being an issue now though.

Still thinking smoke and mirrors hope to see some big signings

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's a good point can only suggest that they thought the first look at accounts in Jan to be better than they thought, or guo pulled the plug after Jan and fosun have said generate your own sustainability Jeff.

Equally it's clear from jls comments something had changed so what must be fosun funding alongside some ffp restraints

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Foes anyone have a running list of the squad anywhere please from a hg perspective? thanks
I've done a hypothetical one if we signed Scott, Cresswell, and Elvedi, and moved on the "expected" names i.e. doesn't include Jonny, Podence, Sa, and Giles.

GK - New GK/Bentley
RB - Semedo/Doherty
RCB - Elvedi/Dawson
LCB - Kilman/Toti
LB - Bueno/Cresswell
CM - Nunes/Scott/Gomes/Lemina/Traore/RAN
LW - Cunha/Silva/Hwang
RW - Sarabia/Neto
CF - New ST/Kaladzjic

14 Non-Homegrown (out of 17) & 6 Homegrown (Bueno U21) - In this scenario, a New ST/New GK can be non-homegrown.

If you include Jonny, Podence, and Sa in that list, I think we are at 16/17 non-homegrown players currently, after Raul's sale. (Remove Elvedi)

It doesn't include some of the fringe youth, like Hodge, Cundle or Lembikisa, as I have a feeling they'll be loaned out, but technically you could include them as well.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Relegation was oblivion. Get a top manager in and requisite players and deal with the rest down the line.

They mislead JL. That much is obvious.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love to be so positive. If everything clicks into place and Sasa and Fabio can contribute then yes, but I think it is a big if atm
I only say that as so many teams in the league are struggling for a 5+ a season striker. Goal scoring isn’t just an issue for us, yes we are bad, but so are others

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe the reported minority investors didn’t like the deal and walked away last minute.. who knows.

But it’s clear we’re not going to overpay.. and that we won’t always get our main targets.. but if our new regime have done their work, they will get some players in.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've done a hypothetical one if we signed Scott, Cresswell, and Elvedi, and moved on the "expected" names i.e. doesn't include Jonny, Podence, Sa, and Giles.

GK - New GK/Bentley
RB - Semedo/Doherty
RCB - Elvedi/Dawson
LCB - Kilman/Toti
LB - Bueno/Cresswell
CM - Nunes/Scott/Gomes/Lemina/Traore/RAN
LW - Cunha/Silva/Hwang
RW - Sarabia/Neto
CF - New ST/Kaladzjic

14 Non-Homegrown (out of 17) & 6 Homegrown (Bueno U21) - In this scenario, a New ST/New GK can be non-homegrown.

If you include Jonny, Podence, and Sa in that list, I think we are at 17/17 non-homegrown players currently, after Raul's sale.

It doesn't include some of the fringe youth, like Hodge, Cundle or Lembikisa, as I have a feeling they'll be loaned out, but technically you could include them as well.
thank you, hugely useful!
so if we assume Jonny and Podence are also off, but Sa stays, we can bring in two foreign players?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thank you, hugely useful!
so if we assume Jonny and Podence are also off, but Sa stays, we can bring in two foreign players?
I just noticed I included Elvedi with that number, so it's 13/17 if you exclude Jonny, Sa, and Podence. If we just sell Jonny and Podence, I believe it would be 14/17. I may be wrong so perhaps somebody can correct me if so.

Didn't include Bendeguz Bolla either as he's nowhere near to be seen in preseason.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would we see spending in Jan if we are up against it? Will the war chest due to salaries now be able to bring in Scott and or a couple of South Americans

With podence surely gone shortly, alongside now Raul,

We are left with hwang Neto sasa Fabio cunha sarabia, which is more realistic to manage put still need a new 9 there I suggest with sasa likely to play a second striker role

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just noticed I included Elvedi with that number, so it's 13/17 if you exclude Jonny, Sa, and Podence. If we just sell Jonny and Podence, I believe it would be 14/17. I may be wrong so perhaps somebody can correct me if so.

Didn't include Bendeguz Bolla either as he's nowhere near to be seen in preseason.
Bolla podence definitely will go

Jonny has question marks, SA I don't think will go now unless we purposely drum up interest

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

brilliant, we’ve got the room now at least

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The thing that confuses me a little is this:

We spent the best part of 100 million in January on a gamble and it worked. I didn't think it would, but fair play, we stayed up.

But now we can't afford 15 million for a key position because of FFP issues

So I have two questions:
1) Did Fosun not think this would happen in January? Did they not appreciate FFP was an issue?
2) What would have happened if the gamble failed?

Selling the squad fillers makes good financial sense, especially those on big wages.

I'd have much rather signed Gyokeres than Retegui. I like the look of the latter but Italians rarely seem to prosper in England and we've been very much stung once before on that front!

That notwithstanding, I find it crazy that no one planned ahead for the Summer in January. It's not as if FFP is a new thing
BiB Good job that he's Argentinian then.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
brilliant, we’ve got the room now at least
Based on rumours, it seems we're targeting a centre forward, a central midfielder, a centre back, and a left back. I would add a keeper to that list as well but that may be unlikely given our FFP situation unless a suitable offer is put forward to us for Sa.

If we sell Podence and Jonny then I think you've got the above four spots to fill and at least one needs to be homegrown. That is assuming that Silva or RAN aren't moved on as well, as has been rumoured.

What a headache...

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Squad as of today 23 players excluding potential additional players and those maybe looking at loan moves/sales

GK
Sa
Bentley
King

Rb
Semedo
Jonny
Doc

CB
Kilman
Dawson
Toti
Eveldi (possible incoming)

Left backs
Aït-Nouri
Bueno
Cresswell (maybe)

Midfielders
Lemina
Gomes
Traore
Nunes
Cundle
Hodge
Scott (working on)

Wing/Attacking players
Neto
Hwang
Sarabia

Strikers
Cunha
Kalajdzic
Silva

For sale/Sold/loan
Raul (5 mil+ Fulham)
Fraser (loan?)
Chiquinho (loan to stoke)
Giles (outgoing to luton/Middlesbourgh)
Hoever (Confirmed loan to stoke)
Sarkic (Sale)
Lembikisa (potential loan)
Guedes (injured straight to benfica when ready)
Bolla (Sale?)
Jordao (sale?)
Podence (Sale - Betis

Seems we are players short in the attacking sense attacking mids/another forward now and need a cb.

My personal list
CAM/creative CM
CB
Forward

Then anything else based on outs

Hodge maybe loan to get more football time

One place we are very well set in is midfield and say if the Scott deal gets done he may join the attacking group.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lineup.png

As unsettling as the outgoings are, when you look at it like this, they do seem to have things well in hand. Podence and Jonny to go, Cundle for loan. Scott and Elvedi in, if that comes to pass. Silva, Ait-Nouri and Sa to allegedly be decided. Kaladzjic fitness undetermined.

That really isn't too bad, you know.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Think Fabio counts as U21 too.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Asset stripping- really??

If so Kilman would have been sold.

Mendes would be touting our players Neto, Nunes, Sa, Semedo etc to anyone and everyone!

As for cash flow, no way would a company like Fosun not forecast at least 12 months ahead. Besides, we and other clubs in the past have taken out loans to deal with cash flow until the tv revenue comes in.

No way JLo would still be here.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 35860

As unsettling as the outgoings are, when you look at it like this, they do seem to have things well in hand. Podence and Jonny to go, Cundle for loan. Scott and Elvedi in, if that comes to pass. Silva, Ait-Nouri and Sa to allegedly be decided. Kaladzjic fitness undetermined.

That really isn't too bad, you know.
Unconvinced that’s enough fire power up top.. but the rest does seem decent enough, with good coaching also, to do alright.

Back
Top Bottom