Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regular Premier League starter getting numerous assists for his club or if back at Boro player that is linked with big move to Premier League.
Is very rare a player who hasn't kicked a ball at premier league level at 24 will suddenly get a big move to the premier league at 25,.....

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I disagree and that is my opinion. I would have kept both here. Young exciting players.
Just a thought, have you considered he might want to move? He may realise he won’t be a starter and enjoyed his time at Middlesbrough and knows they are interested?

I’m really struggling to understand why people are getting upset about players who have been on loan more than played for us and being moved on.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
————-Sa————-

Semedo—Dawson—Kilman—-Toti
———-Lemina—Gomes——
Nunes——Cunha——Neto
————-Sasa————-

Subs: Bentley, Doherty, RAN, Traore, Hwang, Sarabia, Silva

If we signed no one else and started with that team would it really be that bad?

It would still leave Jonny, Podence, Raul etc not in the squad.
Doesn’t look bad on paper although I suspect most would want Sarabia ‘partnering’ with Cunha given their return so far in pre-season. Most of that back line conceded 15 in our last four away games although, to be fair, the whole team performances were also shocking.

Biggest concern is goals. That line-up scored 6 goals last season with Cunha bagging 2 and with one a piece for Gomes and Sarabia who joined half way through the season. Neto was out most of the season injured and Sasa was out all season.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I am ****ed off at this. Know I will get slated but I was genuinely looking forwards to seeing what he could do. A player that can actually cross a ball. Was also looking forwards to seeing Chiquinho in action. This pre season from my point of view is turning into an extremely disappointing one.
Oh come on.

The manager has decided, as others have done, that he isn't what we need, so off he goes.

Chiquinho needs fitness, he has a recall option, its the correct move to get him back up to speed.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like my defenders to be good at defending. Giles by most accounts is not especially good defensively and in the PL that will be exploited. He may have great delivery but so did Barry Douglas and Nuno knew he needed better. TAA gets away with it at Liverpool as they tend to dominate possession, we don’t and Lop has clearly decided that with Giles the negatives outweigh the positives. Good luck to him, he may become a PL player in time but I’m confident that Bueno and RAN both gave a far higher ceiling. I’d also add that given his assists every PL team will have scouted him and other than Luton none seem to be interested which suggests Lop is not alone in thinking he’s not as good as some posters on here think he is.

Kennedy

Reaction score
————-Sa————-

Semedo—Dawson—Kilman—-Toti
———-Lemina—Gomes——
Nunes——Cunha——Neto
————-Sasa————-

Subs: Bentley, Doherty, RAN, Traore, Hwang, Sarabia, Silva

If we signed no one else and started with that team would it really be that bad?

It would still leave Jonny, Podence, Raul etc not in the squad.
I think that could well be the team, why no Buneo though? Is he injured?

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sell Giles for around £5m and spend most of that money on Aaron Cresswell I will lose all of my remaining faith in our transfer plan.
100%.

Not sure what else Giles could have done to at least have had a kick. What was the point in all those years of development otherwise? Doesn’t make much sense to me but, hey, don’t question the regime!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like my defenders to be good at defending. Giles by most accounts is not especially good defensively and in the PL that will be exploited. He may have great delivery but so did Barry Douglas and Nuno knew he needed better. TAA gets away with it at Liverpool as they tend to dominate possession, we don’t and Lop has clearly decided that with Giles the negatives outweigh the positives. Good luck to him, he may become a PL player in time but I’m confident that Bueno and RAN both gave a far higher ceiling. I’d also add that given his assists every PL team will have scouted him and other than Luton none seem to be interested which suggests Lop is not alone in thinking he’s not as good as some posters on here think he is.
Even Luton are doing it with both eyes firmly on a return to the Championship. They buying to build and return.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that could well be the team, why no Buneo though? Is he injured?
Don’t think many people rate him to be honest. His form for us is inconsistent and played in the collapse games against brighton and arsenal. Which doesn’t fill me with any confidence to be honest. He will get better but I think Giles offers the same if not better. For someone that can’t defend

If Newcastle & Atletico interest was genuine even at 15m for Bueno I’d be selling

Toti much more better at defending

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%.

Not sure what else Giles could have done to at least have had a kick. What was the point in all those years of development otherwise? Doesn’t make much sense to me but, hey, don’t question the regime!
To make us a profit from our perspective and for him to get a professional career. Both have held up their end of the bargain.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%.

Can I ask which regime you are referring to? From what I can see he hasn’t done enough to convince a few managers.

That doesn’t make him a bad player. The academy is there to produce players, not all will make it to the top, but others should be able to make a good career for themselves while being sold to give money to the club.

It’s pointless him just sitting on the bench getting the odd cup game. After last season he probably wants to be playing regularly, and good luck to him.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think many people rate him to be honest. His form for us is inconsistent and played in the collapse games against brighton and arsenal. Which doesn’t fill me with any confidence to be honest. He will get better but I think Giles offers the same if not better. For someone that can’t defend

If Newcastle & Atletico interest was genuine even at 15m for Bueno I’d be selling

Toti much more better at defending
Bueno?
He could be world class imo. Tremendous potential.
If Cresswell comes, it's as experienced back up to him and RAN, rather than Giles sitting on the bench. It makes sense

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
It’s pointless him just sitting on the bench getting the odd cup game. After last season he probably wants to be playing regularly, and good luck to him.
Agree I’m sure he’d prefer to be playing week in week out

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I disagree and that is my opinion. I would have kept both here. Young exciting players.
you’d have a squad of 50 given the change mate !!!
So I am now not allowed to be disappointed we are selling a young player who had was the leading assist maker in the championship last season who has been developed by our club? I am disappointed in that is my opinion whatever the head coach or anyone may think.

I sort of begin to wonder sometimes that some posters will not and will never be critical of anything that happens or is happening at our club. That is their opinion to never criticise but I am yet to meet a person off this forum who is any way happy at what is going on at our club this season both with transfers and off the pitch with the state of the stadium, ticket office etc.

Maybe I am totally wrong but the club looks to be standing still or going backwards at present in several areas.
i am critical of the club, we’ve got a lot wrong.

however there’s some on here who are wildly pessimistic, over the top and unrealistic and that’s why the likes of me and SBK for example clash with the likes of watw52 as they and their ilk don’t see any good and we therefore have to be overly optimistic to counteract it!!

i also don’t get why people don’t listen to what Hobbs has said.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we sell Giles for around £5m and spend most of that money on Aaron Cresswell I will lose all of my remaining faith in our transfer plan.
This is spot on. Rather give Giles a chance and fine he might make some mistakes but from what I've read of Cresswell he definitely will make mistakes and has zero sell-on value. Just a baffling decision if true.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't help but feel sad if Giles is on his way. Fantastic attacking stats last season. Call me old fashioned but it makes me extra proud when local lads represent the club.
I don’t doubt we’d all like a team of players that have been through the academy and yes it is disappointing that he hasn’t made it here.

However this isn’t really a surprise, just as Sanderson leaving wasn’t. Both will go on to have good careers and wish them well.

We need to be showing young players that you can have a career by choosing our academy and that we will do what we can to give you a chance whether that is with us or elsewhere.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Giles is 24 or 25 years old by now and has had how many years at wolves? If he was good enough for first team premier league football he would have featured a lot more than a few early round cup ties. And the lack of suitors for him at this level show he just isn’t quite there.

He‘ll be a career championship player, a good one too. No shame in that.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I am ****ed off at this. Know I will get slated but I was genuinely looking forwards to seeing what he could do. A player that can actually cross a ball. Was also looking forwards to seeing Chiquinho in action. This pre season from my point of view is turning into an extremely disappointing one.
I think we just have to trust that JL knows what kind of players fits his system and knows what he is doing.. we have no other choice and putting our trust into a quality manager isn’t a bad thing.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I’m really struggling to understand why people are getting upset about players who have been on loan more than played for us and being moved on.

I think for me it’s about the way this set of players have been playing.

I get it that we were in a dire position when Lopetegui took over. His achievement to guide us to safety shouldn’t be understated and I’m amazed more hasn’t been made of it in the press.

Having said that even from January we were not an attractive team to watch grinding out results.

We still have the majority of those players in the team/squad minus our best player in Neves.

We have all been repeatedly told that we haven’t got a pot to **** in and I guess I had pinned some hopes on the raw talent of the likes of Chuiqinho & Giles coming in and helping to freshen things up.

Interesting that we are possibly looking to replace him with Cresswell which is being talked about as a possible astute signing even though his ability to defend isn’t the greatest as his legs may have gone but is lauded for his delivery.

Seems to me we’re potentially replacing Giles with a 9 year older version of him.

As people say maybe Giles is pushing for a move because he wants to be more of a first choice. Even so would have hoped a few of £7-£8 million as a minimum, with a sizeable sell on percentage rather than the figure of £5 million being banded about.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think for me it’s about the way this set of players have been playing.

I get it that we were in a dire position when Lopetegui took over. His achievement to guide us to safety shouldn’t be understated and I’m amazed more hasn’t been made of it in the press.

Having said that even from January we were not an attractive team to watch grinding out results.

We still have the majority of those players in the team/squad minus our best player in Neves.

We have all been repeatedly told that we haven’t got a pot to **** in and I guess I had pinned some hopes on the raw talent of the likes of Chuiqinho & Giles coming in and helping to freshen things up.

Interesting that we are possibly looking to replace him with Cresswell which is being talked about as a possible astute signing even though his ability to defend isn’t the greatest as his legs may have gone but is lauded for his delivery.

Seems to me we’re potentially replacing Giles with a 9 year older version of him.

As people say maybe Giles is pushing for a move because he wants to be more of a first choice. Even so would have hoped a few of £7-£8 million as a minimum, with a sizeable sell on percentage rather than the figure of £5 million being banded about.
Replacing Giles with a 9 year old version than him? Ignoring all the 250+ Premier league appearances, England caps and so forth.

Jesus.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you’d have a squad of 50 given the change mate !!!

i am critical of the club, we’ve got a lot wrong.

however there’s some on here who are wildly pessimistic, over the top and unrealistic and that’s why the likes of me and SBK for example clash with the likes of watw52 as they and their ilk don’t see any good and we therefore have to be overly optimistic to counteract it!!

i also don’t get why people don’t listen to what Hobbs has said.
Yeah agree with this, I get frustrated with the lack of activity and like every fan want the excitement of some new signings but I really don't understand the constant negativity from some to be honest..

I've seen people talk relegation already this summer without any idea how we are going to be lining up at the start of the season.... why? We had a terrible first half of the season last year under Lage and then Davis we lacked goals and conceded sloppy goals we looked a mess and had to catch up on everyone else BUT despite that when we got Lopetegui in and the new players in January we actually ended up staying up pretty comfortably (top half form under Lopetegui wasn't it?). We have good players here and for me with the likes of Dawson and Lemina in the squad it makes it better and more balanced than what we had last summer and of course we have Lopetegui instead of Lage!

Of course we need to sort out the goalscoring issues we have and I want new players in to help us with this but again we are already in a better situation with Cunha being more settled and having had Premier League experience also Fabio Silva and Sasa Kalajdzic will offer much more than Diego Costa who might have done a job but clearly wasn't anywhere near mobile enough.

We need new players and if they don't come then of course questions need to be asked but let's be patient I don't think we are a million miles away to be honest and not as bad as some are making out!

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a thought, have you considered he might want to move? He may realise he won’t be a starter and enjoyed his time at Middlesbrough and knows they are interested?

I don’t think a player being loaned out tells a story, we did the same with Gibbs-White and he’d proven he is comfortable in the premiership, Giles could be the same so to not give him a chance in pre season is crazy for me.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think a player being loaned out tells a story, we did the same with Gibbs-White and he’d proven he is comfortable in the premiership, Giles could be the same so to not give him a chance in pre season is crazy for me.
JL just doesn’t see him as a first teamer clearly.. we need to move on

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're the 8th highest net spenders in world football since we came back up, we shouldn't even entertaining the thought of relegation battles.
Depends on what you've spent it on . We've bought more dross at very high prices that just haven't worked hence our struggles last season .

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah agree with this, I get frustrated with the lack of activity and like every fan want the excitement of some new signings but I really don't understand the constant negativity from some to be honest..

I've seen people talk relegation already this summer without any idea how we are going to be lining up at the start of the season.... why? We had a terrible first half of the season last year under Lage and then Davis we lacked goals and conceded sloppy goals we looked a mess and had to catch up on everyone else BUT despite that when we got Lopetegui in and the new players in January we actually ended up staying up pretty comfortably (top half form under Lopetegui wasn't it?). We have good players here and for me with the likes of Dawson and Lemina in the squad it makes it better and more balanced than what we had last summer and of course we have Lopetegui instead of Lage!

Of course we need to sort out the goalscoring issues we have and I want new players in to help us with this but again we are already in a better situation with Cunha being more settled and having had Premier League experience also Fabio Silva and Sasa Kalajdzic will offer much more than Diego Costa who might have done a job but clearly wasn't anywhere near mobile enough.

We need new players and if they don't come then of course questions need to be asked but let's be patient I don't think we are a million miles away to be honest and not as bad as some are making out!
Well said.

The negativity on here is quite annoying. We have a good squad and an elite manager. Cunha and Sarabia look to be settling in properly. We have strikers returning from loan and from health.

Most importantly, no other teams around us are making big moves other than Villa. And they have Europe. Even West Ham, who sold a key player for 100M, haven’t bought his replacement or anyone else.

Let’s see how Porto and Celtic go before freaking out.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Replacing Giles with a 9 year old version than him? Ignoring all the 250+ Premier league appearances, England caps and so forth.

Jesus.
3 caps for England last one in 2017 and 283 Premier league appearances

Phil Neville over 500 Premier League appearances and 59 caps.

Using your logic I guess you’d be happy if we were signing him.

Your happy for us to be replacing a young full back with good stats for delivery and has potential to improve with an ageing player who West Han fans say can’t defend.

Personally I’m not but hey we can all have different opinions.

Hells Teeth

Back
Top Bottom