Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great to hear your sporting director mention three times how bad the financial situation is when you've just signed someone...

Something has changed dramatically off the pitch that we haven't been told about.

Hobbs said 'the project is back on' when speaking to Cunha in January. Then we got a 'they can't have a net positive spend this summer' from journalists.

Jonny Phillips mentions out of nowhere we actually need to make £50m profit, and now Hobbs is admitting we 'need to be in a profit', which is not actually correct if FFP is the issue.

Someone used the term managed decline on here and it feels exactly what's going on here.

This is not a criticism of Hobbs by the way, I do like the way he speaks and he's giving us an update here, even if it's a bad one.

Such a shame whatever has happened has come at a time when we have Hobbs/Lopetegui. The latter is undoubtedly the best we could get for our position, and whilst it's too soon to properly judge Hobbs, he certainly seems an upgrade on what we had in that role.
We have a new transfer strategy going forward. At the moment even with signing Elvedi, Scott we are still in profit

But look at what Hobbs said. Expect further players to leave and we know who they are…. Pod, Jonny, RAN, maybe Sa, Raul we will wait and see.

Big offer comes in for Nunes, I reckon he goes

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That actually put a smile on my face.
Ditto mate!!

He looks so happy to be back, almost back home for him!! The best times of his career are here and this could be great for him to get back on track after a difficult few years.

I cannot wait to see the trademark Doherty run to the back stick come back! Or him cutting in and shooting…….

This one has given me a massive warm feeling and seeing his response to kilman and vice versa and also seeing Dawson and saying he jumped in between them was awesome to see.

Welcome home Matt, welcome home!!!!!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great to hear your sporting director mention three times how bad the financial situation is when you've just signed someone...

Something has changed dramatically off the pitch that we haven't been told about.

Hobbs said 'the project is back on' when speaking to Cunha in January. Then we got a 'they can't have a net positive spend this summer' from journalists.

Jonny Phillips mentions out of nowhere we actually need to make £50m profit, and now Hobbs is admitting we 'need to be in a profit', which is not actually correct if FFP is the issue.

Someone used the term managed decline on here and it feels exactly what's going on here.

This is not a criticism of Hobbs by the way, I do like the way he speaks and he's giving us an update here, even if it's a bad one.

Such a shame whatever has happened has come at a time when we have Hobbs/Lopetegui. The latter is undoubtedly the best we could get for our position, and whilst it's too soon to properly judge Hobbs, he certainly seems an upgrade on what we had in that role.
I don't know why you keep ignoring what has changed.

The charges against Everton changed the view, they're going to get punished for it, it has scared numerous owners and clubs that were flirting with FFP, we were one of the clubs that was exceptionally close, Forest are another.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're completely wrong on this.
Thats fair this is my simple conclusion below,

105m losses allowed over 3 years

Accounts:

21/22 - Loss 46.1m
22-23 (To Be confirmed, although expect to be a similar loss)
23-24 - Working on it now

If that loss is -50m

That means we need to be in profit, take a small loss you can fall foul.

lets see how this ages but we will know 3rd March 2024 how much in the mire we were/are in and if its smokescreen. But if the loss is anything like 21-22 its clear why we need profit

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're completely wrong on this.
Sadly he isn’t!

Even Newcastle are having to be mindful of FFP.

It is now doing exactly what it was planned to do! Kill any upstarts that could challenge the status quo or have them sell their best players to the established elite to weaken them in the hope that money can develop
The squad. But the elite team benefits as they hoover up all the top talent……

FFP should be challenged as it is anti competitive and that is unlawful

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly he isn’t!

It is now doing exactly what it was planned to do! Kill any upstarts that could challenge the status quo or have them sell their best players to the established elite to weaken them in the hope that money can develop

Agree 100%

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly he isn’t!

Correct, Newcastle who were profitable under Ashley are running worried on FFP.

To fund Barnes they're selling ASM.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly he isn’t!

Unless you bring through players with nil on the books, like the mounts etc, and sell big you lose out on profit.

Its why looking for players with resale value.

It is curbing the top end, plus with turnover being introduced, need a bigger stadium harder to compete with 50k stadiums

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly he isn’t!

Problem with it being unlawful maybe that everyone agreed to it?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The charges against Everton changed the view, they're going to get punished for it, it has scared numerous owners and clubs that were flirting with FFP, we were one of the clubs that was exceptionally close, Forest are another.
That's just not true though. Firstly it was hanging over Everton before January. Clubs have been deducted points for breaching financial regulations in the past - Blues, Reading etc. So the threat has always been there.

We're comfortable with the business done so far (within reason, obviously).

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats fair this is my simple conclusion below,

105m losses allowed over 3 years

Accounts:

21/22 - Loss 46.1m
22-23 (To Be confirmed, although expect to be a similar loss)
23-24 - Working on it now

If that loss is -50m

That means we need to be in profit, take a small loss you can fall foul.
£105M losses over rolling 3 year period might be "allowed" from an FFP point of view but I suggest that our owners do actually want profit from their investments, particularly when they have bank loans to service across their whole portfolio. Wolves are not a vanity project for them. Yes, Wolves have to remain in the PL to retain/ add value but continually needing financial propping up just wont cut it (obscure reference to Sasa/ Kilman's barber on another thread!).

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£105M might be "allowed" from an FFP point of view but I suggest that our owners do actually want profit from their investments, particularly when they have bank loans to service across their whole portfolio. Wolves are not a vanity project for them. Yes, Wolves have to remain in the PL to retain/ add value but continually needing financial propping up just wont cut it (obscure reference to Sasa/ Kilman's barber on another thread!).
I completely agree you don't want to hover at -80 to 100m its not sustainable

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly he isn’t!

It's going down the FFP route, so final point.

People can read Craig Spillard on Twitter, a Wolves fan on Twitter who covered it in depth.

Others I know have said the same. Ask around yourself.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, my original point isn't calling for 'spend, spend, spend', it's just highlighting how Hobbs has gone from 'the project is back on' in January to telling us we 'need' to make a profit in six months. Loads has changed, it will come out in the future no doubt, but it's not FFP. We can spend if we want, but we don't want to.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's going down the FFP route, so final point.

People can read Craig Spillard on Twitter, a Wolves fan on Twitter who covered it in depth.

Others I know have said the same. Ask around yourself.
I can already tell you his figures are off slightly in my head. But not any further, its clearly a combination of FFP tightness (future turnover rules) alongside wish to be a sustainable business.
We can agree to disagree

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Same Everton and Forest currently bidding for players?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Penkwolf used to post on here and usually spot-on
Don't know him personally, but saw the comments on Twitter, looked sensible enough to me.

Asked people I do know who have a handle on things and they said similar. There's educated guesswork to it, but we're not in a bad position at all. I was told that after the Neves sale, and I think we've raised £30m from Collins and Coady since then.

It's an excuse, and a great one because people believe it as they don't know.

Fosun can do what they want. If they want to withdraw their money I'd be gutted, but fine. Their business, they've done enough and put enough in.

I just hate how people think it's some sort of magic strategy. It's really not. We're skint and we're doing what we can.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know him personally, but saw the comments on Twitter, looked sensible enough to me.

Asked people I do know who have a handle on things and they said similar. There's educated guesswork to it, but we're not in a bad position at all. I was told that after the Neves sale, and I think we've raised £30m from Collins and Coady since then.

Fosun can do what they want. If they want to withdraw their money I'd be gutted, but fine. Their business, they've done enough and put enough in.

I just hate how people think it's some sort of magic strategy. It's really not. We're skint and we're doing what we can.
Out of interest, what were his workings.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Posts on TWF

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How do Villa seem to be never affected by FFP? Surely they can’t still be dinning out on the Grealish money?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Appreciate the honesty from Hobbs but at the same time, very concerning. Almost sounds like Doherty is going to set the theme of the type of signings that are coming in.

We need big, big, reliable performances from the likes of Dawson, Nunes, Neto, Cunha, Kilman, Lemina.. probably throw the likes of Gomes and RAN (if he stays) too.

Some of those, we can bank on it - many last season were inconsistent/never fit. That needs to be addressed.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs on the next few weeks of the window:

“We’re very busy, very proactive in trying to bring some players in and trying to move on some players for who it’s time for new opportunities. We need to be in a profit, so this transfer window we have to be realistic, it’s not a simple one for us. It’s a natural transition for the group, some players are coming to the end of their cycle with us, but we’re still active, trying to improve. We’re trying to get the balance of the squad right, both in makeup of age and personality – one the fans can get behind and one Julen is excited by and believes in.”

Sounds like he's looking for "solutions"
Jury is still well and truly out on Hobbs despite some of the glowing commendations written on the Mix.
For all he's said - lets not forget - that's his job, for which he is very well rewarded.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To add. Forest are seeking to selling Brennan Johnson to ease FFP.
Yes, and we've sold our Brennan Johnson equivalent in Neves!

We did have FFP issues, of that there's no dispute, but Neves going changed it.

If Forest sell Johnson for £47m and then continuously trot out the FFP line, I'm sure their fans will go 'hang on a minute...'

Yet that's exactly what we're doing. We've brought £80m in, £50m of it that was pure profit on players. To go with £25-30m for MGW that was pure profit, and we're still in trouble?

I genuinely can't believe some of you still buy it.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£105M losses over rolling 3 year period might be "allowed" from an FFP point of view but I suggest that our owners do actually want profit from their investments, particularly when they have bank loans to service across their whole portfolio. Wolves are not a vanity project for them. Yes, Wolves have to remain in the PL to retain/ add value but continually needing financial propping up just wont cut it (obscure reference to Sasa/ Kilman's barber on another thread!).
Quite. A lot of fans want big money luxury signings so they can brag about what their club has done but reality is that for the vast majority of clubs it simply isn't possible because the core business cannot support it. Our owners know this and that is why they are looking to grow in different areas. They will also be encouraged by buying players low and selling high (Neves / Jota) but they know it is a hard thing to do year in year out.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It looks like jonny phillips 50m net is actually underplaying it as we are there already with the sales so far. Needs a few more going before we can get any proper deals done but all seems to have gone quiet re the likes of podence, ait nouri etc. Whatever budgets we are working to, they seem to be self enforced rather than restrictions through ffp as we have covered that issue now.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem with it being unlawful maybe that everyone agreed to it?
Still doesn’t mean now it is being executed it has created an anti-competition element and monopoly.

The question is how was it sold and explained to the clubs at the time. As sometimes what is presented as an idea for strategy and process are not what happens when it is released into the wild.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like jonny phillips 50m net is actually underplaying it as we are there already with the sales so far. Needs a few more going before we can get any proper deals done but all seems to have gone quiet re the likes of podence, ait nouri etc. Whatever budgets we are working to, they seem to be self enforced rather than restrictions through ffp as we have covered that issue now.
Yep, agree.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You forget that sometimes you need to make hay while the sun is shining and with the amount of “dead wood” we need to shift, this could be a great season to build a buffer and cash reserve.

Fantastic business planning with FFP in mind.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs on the next few weeks of the window:

“We’re very busy, very proactive in trying to bring some players in and trying to move on some players for who it’s time for new opportunities. We need to be in a profit, so this transfer window we have to be realistic, it’s not a simple one for us. It’s a natural transition for the group, some players are coming to the end of their cycle with us, but we’re still active, trying to improve. We’re trying to get the balance of the squad right, both in makeup of age and personality – one the fans can get behind and one Julen is excited by and believes in.”

"Everyone knows our financial situation at the moment"

Don't we half....

Back
Top Bottom