Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well thats one back from the promotion squad.

People mention his goals and assists compared to Nelson, but in a back 4 who is a better defender?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read Keens article which agrees entirely with what I said

In a summer in which Wolves are facing Financial Fair Play concerns, they are now set to bring in Doherty as a free agent to provide competition to Nelson Semedo at right-back.
Jonny Castro Otto, who can play on both flanks, is still likely to depart and the future of Ki-Jana Hoever remains uncertain after his loan spells at PSV and Stoke last season.
Hoever probably will move on, Jonny looks pretty certain and it's competition for nelson

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a bit harsh on Doc, I don't think you could ever call him fat or lazy for us. He was a key ingredient for Nuno
He himself admitted that he was fat and lazy pre-Nuno. I liked Doc during his time at the club but don't want him back. If JL wants him though.....

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong, we need improvements at full back. Jonny, Semedo, Hoever even Lembiska. We are well stocked.

Trouble is, they are, and have proved over the last few years to not be good enough both defensively and offensively.

Doherty is not an improvement on any of those.
Great, so, improvements at a cut price, whilst abiding by homegrown rules, go!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My allow us to sign Ocampus say ... bringing Doherty in on a free and say moving Jonny out on loan......that maybe the right hand side ok then and with not much outlay ...
It may well do but genuinely think it's to compete and bring forth semedos ability. Semedo needs to battle to get in the shirt, last season he had no competition. Now rocket up the **** if he's doing **** Doherty comes in. It should make them compete for the spot, and doc is happy to.rejoin and battle for that

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just caught up with the Doc news, absolutely baffled and I've lost confidence in Lopetegui's judgement. He was fine for a couple of seasons in a very singular role but had started to go off the boil just before we sold him. Terrible in a 4 and past it now.
I'd really rather use Dexter or even Jonny.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got some news for you chap, Doherty is a RWB.

Lopetegui throughout his managerial career has played 4231/442.

It is a head**** of a signing and that is putting it kindly.
He was signed by Tottenham (think Mourinho bought him) and Atletico Madrid as a right-back. He also spent the vast majority of his career as a RB.

Yes, he didn't do anything at Atletico, or do amazingly well at Spurs, but the fact those clubs signed him as a RB shows he's not that bad.

Obviously, we're a (big) step down from either of those clubs, so the idea he won't be able to do a job for us as backup, or even in the XI, is one I can't really get behind.

Lopetegui had Jesus Navas as a right-back in a successful team. Ashley Young played regularly for Aston Villa who showed Champions League level form with him in the team, and he's just moved to Everton.

Full-back is the easiest position to play for many reasons, and Doherty won't be as good as he was for us before, but he will do a standard 6/7 out of 10 job for us most weeks, in my opinion.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just caught up with the Doc news, absolutely baffled and I've lost confidence in Lopetegui's judgement. He was fine for a couple of seasons in a very singular role but had started to go off the boil just before we sold him. Terrible in a 4 and past it now.
I think doc is better competition than Jonny. Jonny is honestly shot with no pace. Doherty did well under conte at spurs at one point. It's all to ensure semedo has competition. Semedo is an international RB he's a good player . And in a 4-4-2 he shouldn't need to provide all attacking outlet down the right

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long for your loss of faith.

Right, I reckon we schedule the first boos in for mid-September, perhaps save the 'you don't know what your doing' till October then maybe protest and get him the sack in November.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To go for Doc on a free is tragic and all but confirms that we are now doing things on a shoe string. If he gets re-signed, it shows we really are a) shopping in the bargain basement and b) our scouting department are complete turd. People don't seem to understand the very different roles and skills required of individuals depending on team structure being implemented. Doc would be terrible for Julen and signing him would make a mockery of the clearout we are supposed to be implementing.

Valentin Gendrey from Lecce was linked last week and he is a French U21 Right back, who would cost £5 mill and probably significantly less wages than Doc. That would be a much more progressive signing but clearly even signings like that are out of our budget now. If they aren't, why would we be going back?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Madely is right on this one, there are going to be more.outgoings. but like king joining to let sarkic go. Doc joining will potentially allow hoever and jonny to go.

Clear evidence of current crop with jls teams against Vitoria, and it will be compounded again with teams against coventry

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To go for Doc on a free is tragic and all but confirms that we are now doing things on a shoe string. If he gets re-signed, it shows we really are a) shopping in the bargain basement and b) our scouting department are complete turd. People don't seem to understand the very different roles and skills required of individuals depending on team structure being implemented. Doc would be terrible for Julen and signing him would make a mockery of the clearout we are supposed to be implementing.

Valentin Gendrey from Lecce was linked last week and he is a French U21 Right back, who would cost £5 mill and probably significantly less wages than Doc. That would be a much more progressive signing but clearly even signings like that are out of our budget now. If they aren't, why would we be going back?
It's hg cover that is all. There will be more signings and gems, but hg cover is great allows for more room in the squad. We are a foreign heavy squad

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

So you don’t think JLo is part of any assessment process or signing off any transfer decisions ?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah the only way this signing makes even a little sense is if Jonny is now moved on aswell as Bolla and Hoever (maybe another loan) while Lembikisa is sent out on loan....
You have nailed it. Jonny wil go, hoever is question marks it's loan or sale. Bolla no idea but lembekisa can now be loaned for development to championship

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not jlos decision i suspect. He shouldnt be getting the blame for this one. This will be on jeff and fosun trying to cut their cloth accordingly.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He has played 2 games for France u21.....he is 23....the only way we get him in our current squad is by selling a foreign player. ...which limits the chance for new forwards...

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see us getting rid of semedo if it the case of home grown to free up space and keeping hoever.
Also still a possibility if the right offer came in for nelson. But at the moment it's competition for 2 senior RBS at 29 and 31 years of age

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Delighted to see this. Doc has come back home. At the very least he's cover, at best he'll attack and score goals. Some players fit in at certain clubs, and not others. Doc fits that category. I hope he made a tidy sum joining Spurs. Now he's back where he'll feel comfortable, and we'll all benefit.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So you don’t think JLo is part of any assessment process or signing off any transfer decisions ?
Well, if he is, and he is signing off on this, I can safely say we've all watched far more Wolverhampton Wanderers games than he has!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People you may think this is a clueless choice, but genuinely think about it. No fee, 50 to 60k wages. Senior cover and competition at RB (which we need) allows development for lembekisa and then allows Jonny to be sold .

People want ins before outs for a position it's done.

Semedo is our starting RB, if any people can give me a new Starting RB signing for less than 25m I'm all ears.

He's a Portugal international.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hg cover that is all. There will be more signings and gems, but hg cover is great allows for more room in the squad. We are a foreign heavy squad
I seem to half remember lots of past debates as to whether Doc was hg or not!
Can’t quite recall what the conclusion was!
Think it was quite close one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom