Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are supposed to be a club that'll be developing and selling on talents, instead, we wont develop a player and we will revert to one that can only play in a solitary system in a single position?

What part of this screams 'Well planned'.

Yes.

Coady is yesterday's news, thanks for the memories, we move on. We talk about being a club that'll develop and coach talent. Yet have a recent knack for not doing the latter.
we don’t have to develop every player, but sue them to their obvious strengths not in and off the pitch.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he can. I think his defensive record speaks for itself in the premier league, which you can't say about any of the others that have come in in that time. He certainly can still improve.
We all have different opinions but i think ours aren't a million miles away in this case.
i think he’s talented and i’d rather not lose him for sure, but i don’t absolutely trust him yet, mind you, who do i!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And in 12-18 months Dawson will need replacing, and Coady won't be the answer either then.

We'll see just how big a mistake selling Collins was at that stage.

Sold someone who could be our CB for 10 years+ for a quick profit. Desperate.
I like Collins and I wouldn’t sell him but it’s only a desperate move if we don’t replace him and think the answer is inside the squad already. I don’t think that is the case though as even before the mention of Collins going there’s been plenty of rumours of a CB coming in

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Collins was any good I could understand the uproar. Lopetegui had Kounde and Carlos as centre backs for Sevilla, I'm sure he knows what a good defender is.
You can see Collins has some decent attributes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't generally think he looked pretty poor whenever I saw him, or that I had masses of confidence that this was a guy going to the very top. It would appear Lopetegui thinks pretty much the same. I also can't see Lopetegui not bringing in another CB and just using Coady. I'd have thought he'd have a defensive target or two in mind?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are supposed to be a club that'll be developing and selling on talents, instead, we wont develop a player and we will revert to one that can only play in a solitary system in a single position?

What part of this screams 'Well planned'.

Yes.

Coady is yesterday's news, thanks for the memories, we move on. We talk about being a club that'll develop and coach talent. Yet have a recent knack for not doing the latter.

At the moment I think the priorities are getting our finances in good order, clearing the squad of surplus players, and buying modestly priced players to strengthen the squad - in that order. Every player has a price, even those who are not earmarked for departure. Looks like Brentford are likely to meet our price for Collins. Not sure I see the problem really. It’s not like he’s not replaceable.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Collins and I wouldn’t sell him but it’s only a desperate move if we don’t replace him and think the answer is inside the squad already. I don’t think that is the case though as even before the mention of Collins going there’s been plenty of rumours of a CB coming in
Perhaps. I can't see a centre-back coming though as that would effectively means Dawson is third choice when he was so key to us last season.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
200 pages - 0 signings.

I am in the pro-Collins camp, but if we can sell him for 25M, bring in his replacement for 15 that leaves another 10M for 1 or 2 additions. Depending on who those additions are, I think the deal makes sense, especially if Collins is just going to ride the bench for the season.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am in the pro-Collins camp, but if we can sell him for 25M, bring in his replacement for 15 that leaves another 10M for 1 or 2 additions. Depending on who those additions are, I think the deal makes sense, especially if Collins is just going to ride the bench for the season.
bang on, was just posting the same. if JL doesnt rate him then whats the point in keeping him?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps. I can't see a centre-back coming though as that would effectively means Dawson is third choice when he was so key to us last season.
I dunno, I can't see us starting the season with Dawson, Kilman, Coady and Toti as our options personally. I think Lopetegui will want one of his own players coming in, with Coady moving on? That said he/we may have bigger priorities, unless Kilman too is sold?

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Fabio, it depends on what is meant as a loss.

He signed a 5 year contract on joining for a fee of £35m in September 2020. Straight line method amortisation over 5 years is £7m a year, so his balance sheet value after 2 financial years is currently £21m.

That’s how I see it, so if we get, say, £25m for him, we make a profit of £4m. Using some of my accountancy experience from years gone by unless I’m mistaken.

Alternatively, he cost £35m and we sell for £25m, so we lose £10m. I don’t see it that way, but I can understand why some people do.

He is also earning £80,000 a week, so a big saving in wages.
How many times does it need to be said that Fabio is not on anywhere near 80 grand a week…

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that point but I also can’t see us going with two recognised CB’s either. Coady I’m not counting as I doubt he’d want to ever play him in a 2 and similarly for Toti who I think he’ll try and mould into the FB position.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will sign a centre back.....even if it's for a small fee...but it will depend on other outgoings.

I would imagine the first sign of funds available to use for lopetugui that a striker would be priority....sell Collins buy a striker will probably be the move first...

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
You can see Collins has some decent attributes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't generally think he looked pretty poor whenever I saw him, or that I had masses of confidence that this was a guy going to the very top. It would appear Lopetegui thinks pretty much the same. I also can't see Lopetegui not bringing in another CB and just using Coady. I'd have thought he'd have a defensive target or two in mind?
In terms of his attributes, last season he showed the positional play of Richard Stearman, the tight marking of Roderick Miranda and the composure of Neill Collins. What could possibly be wrong with ability like that?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that point but I also can’t see us going with two recognised CB’s either. Coady I’m not counting as I doubt he’d want to ever play him in a 2 and similarly for Toti who I think he’ll try and mould into the FB position.
Coady, Dawson, Toti, Kilman.

I reckon if Dawson got injured we'd switch to a back five with Lemina also the option to drop in.

If I thought this was part of a bigger plan, I'd still be against the Collins sale but I would at least understand it.

In my opinion, since I read the Phillips article, we're making a £50m profit this summer, so we're basically selling whoever we can, which is why Collins has gone. Of course, we'll see in time.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A team that just finished outside of European places last year think so

I could say that a team which finished just outside the Europe spots thought Guedes was worth 28m and Silva 35m… I might even add that a team which finished one place above us last season spent over half a billion on players!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady, Dawson, Toti, Kilman.

I reckon if Dawson got injured we'd switch to a back five with Lemina also the option to drop in.

If I thought this was part of a bigger plan, I'd still be against the Collins sale but I would at least understand it.

In my opinion, since I read the Phillips article, we're making a £50m profit this summer, so we're basically selling whoever we can, which is why Collins has gone. Of course, we'll see in time.
I think selling him is short term viewing as I genuinely think he has a high ceiling however there’s two points with it. Firstly on face value as we can only speculate but it looks like JL doesn’t fancy him, he used him pretty sparingly and secondly he might be very open to a move. He was only interviewed a few weeks back saying how much he wants to play football and he could well see himself getting more game time at Brentford than with us.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could say that a team which finished just outside the Europe spots thought Guedes was worth 28m and Silva 35m… I might even add that a team which finished one place above us last season spent over half a billion on players!
Not really my point though was it? Brentford who get absolutely lauded on here as being the kings of transfers want him, which would suggest he actually IS a premier league player

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At the moment I think the priorities are getting our finances in good order, clearing the squad of surplus players, and buying modestly priced players to strengthen the squad - in that order. Every player has a price, even those who are not earmarked for departure. Looks like Brentford are likely to meet our price for Collins. Not sure I see the problem really. It’s not like he’s not replaceable.
I think getting rid of the idiot who's so spectacularly ****ed up the finances might be a priority as well...

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No problems with Coady coming back but would you start him with Dawson ? . I wouldn't and Dawson is first name on the team sheet at the moment. The question is will Coady be happy been benched most of the season.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the Liam Keen brief, if Collins goes they are looking to replace him with Coady (so my son tells me),
Kongdogbia meanwhile is going to West Ham

I would be so, so disappointed if this is the case. Conor Coady is not a PL Level CB. It is a step backwards to go from Collins to Coady.

Coady needs to leave the club and we need to invest in an experienced, quality Centre Back, as we have done for 5 years now.

Back
Top Bottom