Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guedes is possibly the laziest player ever and all round attitude is bad for those around him. We would rather he was out on loan than here... and no one is willing to stump up for obvious reasons. Hoping he has a good year in Portugal so we can sell him. Huge mistake.

Silva has too many people talking on his behalf. They need to shut up and let the lad play football. For Wolves please. We will regret it if we "cut our losses" imo..
Those of us who went to Chelsea away saw the worst, laziest, most pathetic performance by a wolves player ever. Guedes that day was an absolute disgrace.

Agree about Silva. Just get him back, give him half a season, and if it doesn't work out try and flog him in Jan when teams are desperate.I honestly think the lad would do fine. He's been badly mismanaged and I feel quite sorry for him.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Argue? No arguments from anyone I suspect.

Nunes - worth 20-25m with the potential to become a 40m+ player. Massively overpaid but not a slight on the player.

Silva - 10-12m - been done to death. If he plays for us this year and scores a few, he'll be worth good money. I don't care if he wants to go, he needs to stay.

Jimenez - worth every penny

Guedes - worth not one penny. Utter waste of money.

Semedo - £10-15m.

Set aside Jimenez, we've thrown away around £60m and a club our size can't afford to be doing that. Then add on Cunha where we paid £20m over his worth and we're into £80m in straight up bad deals. I don't think Guedes was unfortunate, I think that was on the cards from day 1. You don't sign players who don't want to be here and who've had similar issues elsewhere without them coming on loan first.

I'd also argue Collins wasn't worth £20m for his stage of development and from a relegated team but at least he has potential. Probably worth £10-15m.
We definitely overpaid on some but I think the valuations used are a bit out.

Semedo at 26, international player good pedigree was very experienced played at top of la Liga and in champions league.

Nunes, if we are to be believed we paid £5 million more than Liverpool had offered.

Guedes again experienced scored 1 in 3 (ish) in La Liga, international player with a lot of top level appearances under him.

What we can’t confuse is value for money and actual value. The three mentioned above I don’t recollect anyone thinking we’d had our pants down when they signed but all 3 so far haven’t shown the value

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The argument wasn't about any of the others, it's whether Raul even makes the value for money list!

Does for me, but his injury has killed off any sell-on value, so the other side of the coin would be that we've arguably paid £32m for 2 very good seasons, no more.
Yeah but with Raul it was just bad luck. It was a freak injury and not down to player, manager, or board. For that reason I don't think you can raise it as an issue of value for money.

Semedo is one of the worst buys for me. He's a rank average player who replaced someone who left for nearly half that price and who contributed far more. He was not of an age where he'd gain value and I just didn't see why a club like wolves could afford to spend so much on so little. At least with all the other players on the list you could make an argument for them - even Guedes as he could actually score goals.

I don't think he's a bad player but very average, not suited to this league, not a leader, had come off a bad season, and vastly overpriced.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We definitely overpaid on some but I think the valuations used are a bit out.

Semedo at 26, international player good pedigree was very experienced played at top of la Liga and in champions league.

Nunes, if we are to be believed we paid £5 million more than Liverpool had offered.

Guedes again experienced scored 1 in 3 (ish) in La Liga, international player with a lot of top level appearances under him.

What we can’t confuse is value for money and actual value. The three mentioned above I don’t recollect anyone thinking we’d had our pants down when they signed but all 3 so far haven’t shown the value

Got to disagree about Semedo and this was much commented on at the time.

Nunes - if you're liverpool you can afford to take that risk. We can't.

Guedes - issue wasn't his ability, it was everything else. Again, at the time eyebrows were raised about if he was actually all that.

Semedo and Nunes - plenty of comments about price at the time. Nunes may still work out - I like him as a player and there is still upside there even with his fee. Guedes price was right in principle but transfer was daft.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to disagree about Semedo and this was much commented on at the time.

Nunes - if you're liverpool you can afford to take that risk. We can't.

Guedes - issue wasn't his ability, it was everything else. Again, at the time eyebrows were raised about if he was actually all that.

Semedo and Nunes - plenty of comments about price at the time. Nunes may still work out - I like him as a player and there is still upside there even with his fee. Guedes price was right in principle but transfer was daft.

Semedo fee was ludicrous.

If you think our total income as a club has fluctuated around £150-180m in the time we've been in the Premier League/Europe, there is no way any business, regardless of industry, should be paying out 1/5th or 1/6th of their annual income on a non key employee! A right back will never be key for any team.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling Collins will be idiotic. Not just because I think he’s going to become a quality CB but also because he’s absolutely tailor made for Brentford. I guarantee if he joins Brentford then the £25m will look like an absolute bargain.

We’ve got enough average ****e in our squad to get rid of, surely we aren’t just going to consider the first few offers regardless of who for just because we need to sell to buy?!

Agreed idiotic, unfortunately its hard to move on Average ****!

Reactions: Ned

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s much in it with Kilman and Dawson. One thing they both do and he doesn’t is they drop a lot deeper to get the ball and give themselves more time, both gave away goals or chances at the end of the season with wayward passes. I think Collins gets scrutinised much more than other defenders
Collins us more proactive in trying to win the ball than our other defenders who are reactive.

I like him, he’ll be a top player in a couple of years

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Argue? No arguments from anyone I suspect.

Nunes - worth 20-25m with the potential to become a 40m+ player. Massively overpaid but not a slight on the player.

Silva - 10-12m - been done to death. If he plays for us this year and scores a few, he'll be worth good money. I don't care if he wants to go, he needs to stay.

Jimenez - worth every penny

Guedes - worth not one penny. Utter waste of money.

Semedo - £10-15m.

Set aside Jimenez, we've thrown away around £60m and a club our size can't afford to be doing that. Then add on Cunha where we paid £20m over his worth and we're into £80m in straight up bad deals. I don't think Guedes was unfortunate, I think that was on the cards from day 1. You don't sign players who don't want to be here and who've had similar issues elsewhere without them coming on loan first.

I'd also argue Collins wasn't worth £20m for his stage of development and from a relegated team but at least he has potential. Probably worth £10-15m.

Collins is worth what someone will pay for him and with the Brentford bid turned down we clearly didn't overpay for him.

Brentford obviously not very good at spotting value for money though.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins us more proactive in trying to win the ball than our other defenders who are reactive.

I like him, he’ll be a top player in a couple of years
Needs to improve his positioning and calm down, then he'll be fine. He's too rash and that gets him in trouble.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ta
Collins is worth what someone will pay for him and with the Brentford bid turned down we clearly didn't overpay for him.

Brentford obviously not very good at spotting value for money though.
Talking of Brentford, I did an interview today and my interviewer (friend of mine) is interviewing Brentford's chairman next week I think.

I suggested he asked that they offer more for Collins :)

I take your point though. I think I just expected him to be a bit more 'ready' and he wasn't really even though I defended him a lot.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ta

Talking of Brentford, I did an interview today and my interviewer (friend of mine) is interviewing Brentford's chairman next week I think.

I suggested he asked that they offer more for Collins :)

If we sell him we will regret it as others have said.

Got all the attributes a young centre half needs, played in a shocking side last year, we lacked any grit hence the away day drubbings.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
For me, if we can get 25 million for Collins I would take it. People who were saying he was OK until we played Man City for me, were not paying that much attention. He was slow and clumsy on the ball, lost concentration easy, marking on corners was non-existent, decision making poor, passing poor. I could go on.

If we could get 25 million and reinvest in a player such as David Garcia for me that would be a positive move for me currently.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need money so can we buy players that Lopetegui wants. Lopetegui wants them in as soon as possible. We can only sell players that other clubs want to buy. If Collins is the one that we can sell and Lopetegui doesn't see him as an important part of the squad then it makes sense. Kilman has been linked with Spurs, but should Wolves wait three months before Levy puts in a stupid bid and drags it out for the rest of the window. Now if Spurs offer a decent fee for Kilman in the next few days then it might be him that gets sold rather than Collins.

I'm not overly fussed either way about Collins, but we need to do some deals and get the ball rolling. The same applies to Fabio Silva.
I do agree with this, but do think £20m is too low for Silva. Unless it includes a 50% sell on clause! Then he can take his money grubbing Dad and never darken our doors again.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me that Fosun cash their chips with selling lots of players then next Month we hear a takeover is possible.
What is there to gain with that approach though? It’s just robbing Peter to feed Paul. Any “profit” would just be knocked off the value of the club as new owners would know first job would be a significant player spend.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if the club sell Fabio and Collins. The reason they are two of our most sellable assets is precisely the reason they should be kept- they are both young with significant potential and already have good experience for their age.

Get the crapsters that aren't helping on the pitch, haven't got any improvement left and are taking up valuable wages out the door first!

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of that is a bit overblown. He’s not Maldini on the ball but he’s far from awful.

In fact I’d say the way Brentford play with a quick transition means he needs to be decent on the ball. He needs to control it and move it on quickly and meaningfully (not just whack it forward, they aren’t Vinny Jones era Wimbledon). Barring the returning Coady I don’t think he’s any worse on the ball than any other central defender we have.
Disagree, don't think he'll have to be good on the ball for them at all, they play the most long balls in the division.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree, don't think he'll have to be good on the ball for them at all, they play the most long balls in the division.
I’m being pedantic but whenever I’ve seen Brentford it’s been long passes rather than old school lumps up the pitch, that needs a certain level of ball playing defender.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get the crapsters that aren't helping on the pitch, haven't got any improvement left and are taking up valuable wages out the door first!
These don't generate a big fee...

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Semedo fee was ludicrous.

If you think our total income as a club has fluctuated around £150-180m in the time we've been in the Premier League/Europe, there is no way any business, regardless of industry, should be paying out 1/5th or 1/6th of their annual income on a non key employee! A right back will never be key for any team.
'Ludicrous'?

Just how much do you think is appropriate for a young guy in his prime who has played and won his league 2 season running in Portugal and is signed by Barcelona, for who he plays 124 times in 3 years (including 24 in European competition) and was a current Portugal international?? Get real! Semedo is an excellent footballer. Yes- he divides some opinion, but to argue he isn't good enough to play for a side that has just escaped relegation is frankly ludicrous.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good signing for them, will take some time to adjust to the tempo of the PL but he still has room for improvement.

Newcastle are certainly going places, big ambitions. Shame that when we got European football we signed a homesick young player from Italy and an absolutely awful Jesus Vallejo.

But I guess that's what ambition, and the money to back it up, gets you.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been posted elsewhere, Podence retweeted this as posted by WolfPackwwfcView attachment 35300. Could be off? As the GIF said “you’re next”
He lives a few houses down from me. I've been checking to see if any moving vans have come by recently (yes I look like a complete curtain twitcher).

Nothing to report as of yet on the moving vans.

Back
Top Bottom