Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Worth a read, explains our transfer policy for the summer amongst other things

One key point being we don't expect to spend more than 20m on a single singing

The interesting/worrying thing with that article was Mendes trying to help Lyon get Gomes and thinking Lemina wouldn't join us?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a worrying article.

Don't understand how FFP is an issue when all other indications have been that it's not?

We want to keep Semedo, Semedo wants to stay but we can't afford to trigger the option right now! What is that all about?

Lopetegui's words from the other day could be worse than we thought after reading that.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can the club claim it wants to be self-sustainable when it still won't invest in the stadium which could increase revenues in the long run?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t make for promising reading at all
Agreed. Can see Lopetegui walking as he’s not going to go for a Moxey style transfer window which that reads like. I hope it’s not as dire as the article suggests.

As for Mendes, talk about biting the hand that feeds.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We apparently cant afford to activate the two year extension for Semedo according to e&s? Worrying but he does need moving on.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a worrying article.

Don't understand how FFP is an issue when all other indications have been that it's not?

We want to keep Semedo, Semedo wants to stay but we can't afford to trigger the option right now! What is that all about?

Lopetegui's words from the other day could be worse than we thought after reading that.

I hope he doesnt walk but my fear would be he could.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we are in for him or another centre back as I am not convinced by either Kilman or Collins.
The difference between those 2 is Collins will improve, Kilman hasn't improved and probably gone backwards. I really hope Kilman is gone by next season but doubt he will have.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Regardless of the antics Morgan Gibbs-White has got up to since leaving Wolves, the deal to let him go and bring in Guedes was a massive mistake in hindsight. Mendes orchestrated that move, while bringing in a player in Guedes who made it clear he did not want to be at Wolves."

MGW going was okay but the way we wasted his transfer fee was a disgrace. Mendes has fast become a big issue the last few years, rather than a help as he was to start with.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aint suprised seeing as we've splashed 300 odd million over the last few years.
Mainly on Mendes players.

Semedo, Nunes, Guedes and Cunha have cost us around £150million combined and can we honestly say they've improved us since the pre-covid era? Because I can't.

Oh and Fabio for £35m who wasn't judged to be good enough to meaningfully contribute this season.....

Things have to change.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The interesting/worrying thing with that article was Mendes trying to help Lyon get Gomes and thinking Lemina wouldn't join us?
Crazy isn't it. Especially as he's Lopetegui's agent. Must have really burned his bridges at Wolves for them to brief an article like this.

Good that we're getting away from daft money signings though.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you may be wrong again, as you were about the January window, in my opinion. There will be wholesale changes and there needs to be. We will see though. You may be right but my feeling is there will be wholesale changes as quite a few players will be leaving.
having read the article posted are you still so bullish my friend?
it’s not sustainable.

i’m not overly worried by the article as it’s designed to provoke debate, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that our squad is too expensive and big!

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Can see Lopetegui walking as he’s not going to go for a Moxey style transfer window which that reads like. I hope it’s not as dire as the article suggests.
This was a quote from him post Utd, maybe i’m reading too much into it, but I’m worried it’s giving off that vibe too

"If the club want to keep in the Premier League & improve they (Fosun) have to take a decision. They have to look at what's happened this year to be able to change our situation if we want to improve."

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s not sustainable.

i’m not overly worried by the article as it’s designed to provoke debate, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that our squad is too expensive and big!
The Semedo bit is worrying - on the basis the club want to keep him, I'd personally get rid.

However, if they do, how are we in a position where we can't afford to trigger an extension? How are Fosun not clear on what their plans are with Wolves.

Missing out on targets as well.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if the FFP rumours are true then we have to look at selling the cream

RAN 20m
Podence 20m
Nunes 55m
Neves 45m
Silva 35m
Guedes 20m
Coady 5m
Hoever 5m
Neto 40m
Kilman 40m
Collins 20m

Start again and stop buying stupid Mendes players who cost us too much. This is what happens when you don’t sell players at their peak value.

It was fun while it lasted, time to rip the squad up and start again

We can’t afford to renew Semedo WTF I suppose we have Dexter who let’s be honest has huge potential.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Regardless of the antics Morgan Gibbs-White has got up to since leaving Wolves, the deal to let him go and bring in Guedes was a massive mistake in hindsight. Mendes orchestrated that move, while bringing in a player in Guedes who made it clear he did not want to be at Wolves."

MGW going was okay but the way we wasted his transfer fee was a disgrace. Mendes has fast become a big issue the last few years, rather than a help as he was to start with.
Gibbs-White said he wanted out anyway, and was always going to push for a move. The mistake was spending the funds on someone who ended up wanting nothing to do with Wolves, some top class research must’ve went into that from “yes man” Sellars!

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Worth a read, explains our transfer policy for the summer amongst other things

One key point being we don't expect to spend more than 20m on a single singing
Makes perfect sense though. some of the expectations around the summer window need to be curtailed. much will depend on who goes and when. The early incomings of the January window are unlikely to be repeated. It can still be a good window, putting us in a position to consolidate on Premier League survival, but I sense there will be some gnashing of teeth around here as we wait for business to be done.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s not sustainable.

I still think there will be big change. I’m not bothered about what we spend as Brighton have proven there are excellent deals to be had if you have a good recruitment team. The part about semedo concerns me though. We need to shift players asap

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there's no interest I wouldn't extend, we need better there and as you say, he's on a big wage.

Even if his wage is £100k per week (and I'm sure it'd be a lot less than that), that's only £10m over 2 years.

Who would you replace him with who's better, and where the combined transfer fee + wages come to less than £10m?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if the FFP rumours are true then we have to look at selling the cream

RAN 20m
Podence 20m
Nunes 55m
Neves 45m
Silva 35m
Guedes 20m
Coady 5m
Hoever 5m
Neto 40m
Kilman 40m
Collins 20m

Start again and stop buying stupid Mendes players who cost us too much. This is what happens when you don’t sell players at their peak value.

It was fun while it lasted, time to rip the squad up and start again

We can’t afford to renew Semedo WTF
I would like to know who in their right mind would buy Silva for 35m, Neto for 40m, Nunes for 55m and even more outrageous Kilman for 40m !!!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a very worrying read...
Not very different from last summer though where we also had to sell to buy meaning we started the season with a depleted squad. Anyone remember the bench options at Leeds? Campbell, Sarkic, Mosquera, Coady, Boly, Bueno, Ronan, Hodge.
And I seem to remember words like this last summer as well;
"The squad size will come down, too, and the pathway to the academy will be opened up – although players will still need to earn their chance"

Now obviously the squad IS bigger now and I'm not opposes to departures. But we're looking at Moutinho, Adama, Costa and Semedo likely leaving on a free. Add to thar Raul and Jonny possibly leaving for very little money.
Take away those 6 players and we're looking at a bench much like one at K
Leeds.
Yet where is the money to replace them going to come from? Sure we could sell other players. But they'd need replacing too of course..

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any more detail on how FFP is an issue?

We sold MGW which is fantastic from an FFP perspective because he is an academy player that counts for pure profit. All the incomings are over the course of their contract.

The two years prior to that, we barely had a net spend.

So, unless I'm mistaken (which I could be), FFP is not an issue for Wolves because it's a constant rolling thing. Plus, the idea that FFP restricts you straight away is ludicrous. For example, if we want to keep Semedo, we could, and you deal with it later. Nothing is preventing us extending his contract. Nothing is stopping us signing a player right now, even if we know we have to balance the books later on.

As far as I can see, there's a lot of lies here but Keen has clearly been briefed by the club, so I'm not blaming him.

However, this is far too strong to be a negotiation tactic in the summer. It's very worrying that they're saying such rubbish and having not been concerned by Lopetegui's comments last week, I now see them in a different light. What on earth is going on?

If the tone of the article is 'Wolves spent big in January, they need to be mindful moving forward, so don't expect a big net spend', I'd totally get it. To instead go to 'Wolves can't afford to extend Semedo's contract because they have no money' is another world entirely.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that most of the FFP rules revolve around spending limits excluding owner investment, that article doesn't make a lot of sense.

Still, the worriers need something to do now that relegation can't be salivated over.

Back
Top Bottom