Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been to see him play a few times (my dad's a Blues fan so I take him to see them a few times a season). I've never actually been impressed by Sanderson. Always seemed like an average Championship CB and for the talk that he's good one the ball, spent most of the time I've seen him playing long balls down the touchline.

The Wolves players that I thought looked good at that level when I've seen them were Giles (saw Blues play Middlesbrough this season) and Sarkic.
Playing long balls isn’t an issue if we got Sasa up front. Blues had Juke which would be why?? Dawson sometimes does it! Part of CB game get rid of the ball.

This playing out from the back is only any good if your team can play that way. How many goals did we give away from trying to play out? Brighton, City, arsenal games pressed hard we crumbled just get rid of the ball

Hopefully pre season give us better indication of who will be given an opportunity

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Woken up feeling remarkably positive this morning.

Concrete news of our first signing of the summer.
You banker!

I only read that far, got excited as I was still on my first coffee and haven't read the news for 24 hours, then spent 10 mins googling for who the new signing was.

Only then came back and read the rest of your post!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You banker!

I only read that far, got excited as I was still on my first coffee and haven't read the news for 24 hours, then spent 10 mins googling for who the new signing was.

Only then came back and read the rest of your post!
Yeah.. got me too! Was still looking for new signing news until I saw your post.. lol

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dion Sanderson is a decent player that never got a look in - same situation as Giles. Whenever I've seen him play, I thought he was decent on the ball and he's got the physicality and very importantly - speed - to handle the PL. I think he can do a job as a back-up right back or right sided defender in a defensive 3, in our squad, to start with. He's home-grown too. Why cant we keep him 6 months to a year to really evaluate him? Are we so desperate for the 2M quid that we might get for him? He will be worth no less in a year's time. He might surprise a few people - like Toti did.
No one is disputing that theory....just some might think lopetugui has his eye on somebody else who can do that role...I would suggest one of our 5/6 targets will specifically be for that role....

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just like the Chinese did with their super league and the Americans but they are buying more clubs .
How many clubs have had new Chinese ownership in the last 5 years? How many Americans have brought a European club and a MLS one?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen Sanderson a few times and never thought he looked like a player who could make the step up. He looks a player very accustomed to playing in the championship to me.
The amount of time spent discussing the likes of Sanderson, bolla kawebe etc on this forum every summer is just astounding...some won't accept the reality unfortunately.....they aye good enough...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dion Sanderson is a decent player that never got a look in - same situation as Giles. Whenever I've seen him play, I thought he was decent on the ball and he's got the physicality and very importantly - speed - to handle the PL. I think he can do a job as a back-up right back or right sided defender in a defensive 3, in our squad, to start with. He's home-grown too. Why cant we keep him 6 months to a year to really evaluate him? Are we so desperate for the 2M quid that we might get for him? He will be worth no less in a year's time. He might surprise a few people - like Toti did.
I understand the theory on this but you have to look at the practical on it.

It’s not just about age it’s about ability as well. There’s only 12 months difference between Toti and Dion but ability wise Toti is way above. Sanderson is an average championship defender (there’s nothing wrong in that btw) but there’s little to suggest he can take that step up. He’s looked decent in the championship, where he’d need to look spectacular to handle the step up. A couple of million fee with a decent sell on clause and it’s win win for us, his buying club and more importantly for him.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The amount of time spent discussing the likes of Sanderson, bolla kawebe etc on this forum every summer is just astounding...some won't accept the reality unfortunately.....they aye good enough...
I think people misconstrue what we’re trying to do with youth players to be honest. Whilst we clearly want to produce for the first team (so do every other academy!) we also want it to be its own little profit centre. It’s very cold analysis but I’m sure in the football department there’s a dossier of who they think who can challenge, who they think can’t but can make us money along the way and a list of “filler”. A prime example for me is Sarkic, no way was he ever signed to challenge the first team, he was signed to fill a gap and make a profit on.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people misconstrue what we’re trying to do with youth players to be honest. Whilst we clearly want to produce for the first team (so do every other academy!) we also want it to be its own little profit centre. It’s very cold analysis but I’m sure in the football department there’s a dossier of who they think who can challenge, who they think can’t but can make us money along the way and a list of “filler”. A prime example for me is Sarkic, no way was he ever signed to challenge the first team, he was signed to fill a gap and make a profit on.
Exactly...the only 2 players who have probably done enough our on loan to warrant a look at are Silva n Giles.....(ignoring the fact that Silva doesn't want to be here)...

But in reality both were put in the shop window......

Obviously the kids like Cundle etc were loaned out for experience..

The occasional one can buck the trend and be on loan and find a pathway back to the first team like toti.....but in reality we was desperate in that January when we got him back as we had no money to spend..

But in reality some young signings are to make money not first team players....we've kept faith with Sanderson cause we think we can get a fee from home....no different to Taylor Perry which in the end we didn't get a fee. Neither were ever going to make the first team.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its quite amazing, to me at least, that every player we are rumoured to be selling suddenly become, top class,massive potential,be great in 3 years time,big mistake in doing this etc
Most are bit part players,bench warmers,squad fillers or have been fringe players for years
They may be young with potential, but after years being here i think by now they would have been at least regular squad members if they were that good
After all we havent exactly been the best team around for the last 2 seasons have we?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I think the club need to sell Jonny, Hoever, Sanderson and Bolla and then buy a RB who is considered an upgrade on Semedo.

If Semedo is first choice, any of them could be kept around as his back-up given, for all his faults, he doesn't miss many games. I don't see any of them winning a starting berth from him any time soon.

And I just can't see the club spending money on a new right back until all 4 of them are off the books.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I think the club need to sell Jonny, Hoever, Sanderson and Bolla and then buy a RB who is considered an upgrade on Semedo.

If Semedo is first choice, any of them could be kept around as his back-up given, for all his faults, he doesn't miss many games. I don't see any of them winning a starting berth from him any time soon.

And I just can't see the club spending money on a new right back until all 4 of them are off the books.
Baku if Semedo leaves we are very keen on him apparently

As for the likes of Sanderson, Jonny, Bolla & Hoever they could be given a pre season chance to impress if no buyers are found

Fabio Silva linked with Sevilla

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baku if Semedo leaves we are very keen on him apparently

As for the likes of Sanderson, Jonny, Bolla & Hoever they could be given a pre season chance to impress if no buyers are found

Fabio Silva linked with Sevilla
Semedo isn't leaving ... someone will be brought in for competition...

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its quite amazing, to me at least, that every player we are rumoured to be selling suddenly become, top class,massive potential,be great in 3 years time,big mistake in doing this etc
Most are bit part players,bench warmers,squad fillers or have been fringe players for years
They may be young with potential, but after years being here i think by now they would have been at least regular squad members if they were that good
After all we havent exactly been the best team around for the last 2 seasons have we?
Couldn’t agree more. Collins for example was a fairly expensive signing for a centre back and couldn’t displace Dawson who cost way less and is nearly a decade older? A potential profit from him seems like good business to me.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing long balls isn’t an issue if we got Sasa up front. Blues had Juke which would be why?? Dawson sometimes does it! Part of CB game get rid of the ball.

This playing out from the back is only any good if your team can play that way. How many goals did we give away from trying to play out? Brighton, City, arsenal games pressed hard we crumbled just get rid of the ball

Hopefully pre season give us better indication of who will be given an opportunity

Blues have played some of the worst football I've seen in years whilst Sanderson has been there. I wouldn't see it as an aspiration to be honest, but each to their own.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen Sanderson a few times and never thought he looked like a player who could make the step up. He looks a player very accustomed to playing in the championship to me.

He looks a solid championship defender, and tbh there have been a few solid championship players who have managed to have a few decent seasons in the premier league. Dont know if Sanderson could become one of those, but i wouldnt be against having him back here as a backup player.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blues have played some of the worst football I've seen in years whilst Sanderson has been there. I wouldn't see it as an aspiration to be honest, but each to their own.
So if he stands out in poor team he can’t be as bad some make out decent back up?? He’s likely to be sold if the right offer comes in…. Granted maybe he will go blues if they give us the right offer

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully Fabio's name has cropped up cause we have discussed players with Seville..... Bounou, acuna, en nesyri, Ocampus.....any 2 out of 4 would be decent
Sevilla need cash same as us and Porto giving them players isn’t helping any cause. If we didn’t buy Cunha we could of cleaned up a nice summer ahead oh well these things happen sell to buy as it stands

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This post is a good example of how SM works. Loads of people want Sanderson to do well and think he should be given a chance but other than seeing him on tv occasionally when they’re probably only half watching they’ve never seen him play. The people that have seen him play know that he’s an average Championship CH, nothing more and consequently worth about £2m with a sell on clause “just in case”.
Agreed .And there is always a group who try to prove a point by the exception.
The exception is the exception .
An example is comparing Kane with Silva . One day Silva could come good because Kane did.
A one in a hundred chance is just that .

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if he stands out in poor team he can’t be as bad some make out decent back up?? He’s likely to be sold if the right offer comes in…. Granted maybe he will go blues if they give us the right offer

He didn't stand out (other than being easily identifiable because of his hair). That was my point when I said I had seen him several times at Blues and he just looked like an average Championship CB.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Roll
Have we?
It could also be because Sanderson doesn't want to go and has been waiting patiently for former first team occupiers of the position(s) he plays in to move on, as age defeats them.
And all that time he has been winning player of the season awards at his loan clubs, whilst perfecting his craft.
There are many of his managers who've called him a Rolls Royce of a player..
Rolls Royce...come on....in league 1 yes. In the championship he is ok.

Got no problem with Sanderson he is ok...but he isn't what the first team need at the minute...and he won't be what Lopetugui wants ..

Last edited:

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who thought that Toti would step up?
Sanderson performed well in the Asia Cup and, as back up whilst selling Collins, might be an ok option and good for the finances.
Can also cover RB.
Is he any worse as an actual defender than Coady? (And I like Coady…..as a sweeper)
All I am saying is that, like many others, he should be given a chance in pre-season, particularly as our finances are supposed to be tight. It might even add some value to his fee, if he does get sold.
Keep Sanderson because he played well in a 2019 pre season friendly?

I get what you're saying about giving people a chance but I can't believe that people are using 1 game in a friendly 4 years ago as a yardstick.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep Sanderson because he played well in a 2019 pre season friendly?

I get what you're saying about giving people a chance but I can't believe that people are using 1 game in a friendly 4 years ago as a yardstick.
And the same people will be saying get rid of leading goalscorer podence and semedo who played nearly every game last season.... .cause they aye good enough...maybe they should only play 1 friendly they might be better thought off.....

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with this. I'm Ok with our loan strategy as long as the better players are actually given a good look during pre season. Guys like Fabio, Giles and maybe Cundle this season (although Cundle could do with another season on loan) should be looked at and hopefully integrated.

Back
Top Bottom