Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Gerrard

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know many of us bemoan the theatrics and diving in modern football and the toning down of tackling...But....I take issue with the pundits who thought Gerrards tackle last night was a good one..in any era.

It was not in a dangerous area of the pitch. He had a long run up to it, left his feet and at that speed there is only one place where his foot is going after contacting the ball, and that is through the RB's leg. Ah, but Steve G ids not like that is he, say the experts. IMO he is. I think he has got away with some horrific tackles over the years because of who he is. If he was Karl Henry he would be pilloried

What do you lot think?

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed

It was a $$$$$ tackle but expect the Stevie G love in to continue regardless of how bad he plays and over the last 2/3 years he's been below average at best.

D

Dewsburywolf

Had a couple against us in 2010/11 season that if it was Karl Henry would've been sending off affairs. And I quite like Steven Gerrard, more so than Fat Frank anyway

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What there "like" has nothing to do with it!

It shouldn't, but it does. The pundits have a big love in with the big team players...and Liverpool, so refuse to see that some of them are dirty.

M

Mattyeagle

He is like that...he dives a lot as well!!!! He does get away with a lot...hell of a player tho

H

HUGEWolf

Had a couple against us in 2010/11 season that if it was Karl Henry would've been sending off affairs. And I quite like Steven Gerrard, more so than Fat Frank anyway

IIRC he almost took Berra's ankle off at Anfield that season and then had the cheek to argue that it wasn't even a foul!

S

SimplyTheWolves

It was a very bad challenge, if it was one of our players against Chelsea, Arsenal or some other glam club it would have been an instant dismissal. The worst thing about it was that it happened in a friendly which wasn't even high profile.

S

Sandwell Wolf

The best player England has got, and our captain.

You won't find me slagging him off, bunch of miserablists.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a decent challenge. Ok he followed through but that was always going to happen with his momentum.

Don't see what's the big deal about it.

Some people will always find a reason to moan.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest.... When I saw it I though it was a good tackle.
After viewing it again..... I think it's a great tackle...
What is he supposedly do after he gets the ball ?? It's milliseconds by time he's made the tackle and his foot hits his leg....

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steven Gerrard dived to win the Champions League final in 2005. This is an indisputable fact. No pundit will ever mention it no matter how long they talk about diving for.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a decent challenge. Ok he followed through but that was always going to happen with his momentum.

Don't see what's the big deal about it.

Some people will always find a reason to moan.

Exactly...for that kind of tackle you ARE always going to follow through, and more often than not injure the opposition. For that reason it is a dangerous tackle. Just because I do not subscribe to the Stevie G luv in does not mean I am moaning. I happen to think he is a dirty player, you obviously don't. Fair enough

C

cooper_J

He's not the player he could have been. Sure, he's been a good servant for Liverpool and is a good Premiership performer but ten years ago I'd have backed him to become one of the best in the world.

Now past his peak and hasn't met his potential IMO.

Wigan Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Steven Gerrard dived to win the Champions League final in 2005. This is an indisputable fact. No pundit will ever mention it no matter how long they talk about diving for.

Have you been holding this in since 2006, I think it's time to move on.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The tackle was absolutely fine, in any era.

It wasn't so long ago everyone was defending Milijas for his perfectly legitimate tackle.

Too many people feed the namby pamby brigade by supporting their views, slowly making them more and more acceptable and it's wrong.

S

Space Wolf

If Gerrard had never played international football before then I could understand it. As it is, that kind of tackle will always be punished and he should know that.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I get fed up hearing 'I won the ball first' as a player follows through and catches an opponent.If he does it is still a foul .I can't remember if Gerrard caught the player.
The expression is,was the tackler in control of his body movement?
In my opinion he wasn't and if he repeats that tackle next month he will get penaliaed every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get fed up hearing 'I won the ball first' as a player follows through and catches an opponent.If he does it is still a foul .I can't remember if Gerrard caught the player.
In my opinion he wasn't and if he repeats that tackle next month he will get penaliaed every time.

Excellent point very well made.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gerrard comits a tackle like that in most games & there is never any fuss about it - though only thing different about last nights challenge being he only went in with one foot .

I may be doing him a grand dis-service but wasn't it also him that challenged west ham in possession & won the ball late in the 2006 cup final when WHU were winning but put the ball out for a Liverpool player to receive treatment & Liverpool threw it back to them. From what I remember Liverpool equalised from that passage of play & went on to win the cup

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if you're in control, get the ball and get the man? Is that still allowed these days?

Nah not allowed unfortunately mate. You have to defy physics when going in for a clean, hard, fair tackle and instantly stop any motion of your body or the follow through the millisecond you get the ball. Shame really.

Do you know what comment makes me sick to the core? When people say "his studs were up" every time someone does a head on, strong slide tackle through the ball. As opposed to what? Slide tackling with your laces and break your own ankle? The studs are on the bottom of your boot - the part of you that touches the ball during a slide tackle. I understand it when a player has gone over the height of a football, missed it, and caught a player, only then is "his studs were up" a justifiable comment. Too many people (and ref's on a Sunday who've never played and have jumped on the bandwagon of blowing the whistle for every slide tackle) use this bull$$$$ comment for challenges that have got the ball first. It's a $$$$ing joke. Sorry to go a bit off topic!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gerrard comits a tackle like that in most games & there is never any fuss about it - though only thing different about last nights challenge being he only went in with one foot .

I may be doing him a grand dis-service but wasn't it also him that challenged west ham in possession & won the ball late in the 2006 cup final when WHU were winning but put the ball out for a Liverpool player to receive treatment & Liverpool threw it back to them. From what I remember Liverpool equalised from that passage of play & went on to win the cup

This is balls mate. So you're saying Gerrard, on a regular basis, makes double footed challenges? Do you know why there's rarely any fuss made? Because he challenges fairly. He plays hard and fair. There's a major difference between a dirty player and a hard player.

M

Mr Wolf

Your talking $$$$, it was a fair tackle, studs were down (*even though as said sometime they do have to be up when going straight in for the ball which imo is also fair) and the ball was won cleanly, if anything their player kicked him as he won the ball first.

*Everybody in the world has lost touch with what a dangerous tackle was, that was a tackle where you bend your leg then straighten it at the moment of impact, a constant straight legged tackle should be considered fine even with the studs up sometimes.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even though he's a qualified referee

That's not the issue. I have no doubt he is right, but he will only be following what he's told.

The powers that be have for some reason decided that football is going to be less and less physical. The problem is that nobody actually involved in the game wants that.

Which is why you constantly see players, managers and fans get so frustrated when perfectly legitimate strong and fair challenges get penalised.

There are conflicting views, and unfortunately those in power are the ones who make the laws. But they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this one so easily.

K

KiwiWolf

Even though he's a qualified referee

So, are you saying that referees are always right and shouldn't be questioned?

Just because he's a qualified referee means Jack as far as I'm concerned, it's an opinion.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Your talking $$$$, it was a fair tackle, studs were down (*even though as said sometime they do have to be up when going straight in for the ball which imo is also fair) and the ball was won cleanly, if anything their player kicked him as he won the ball first.

*Everybody in the world has lost touch with what a dangerous tackle was, that was a tackle where you bend your leg then straighten it at the moment of impact, a constant straight legged tackle should be considered fine even with the studs up sometimes.

Am I really oh learned one?I am stating fact asin instructions and edicts given to referees.If you bothered to read my post I said I couldn.t remember if Gerrard made contact.And I stand by my comment that if he repeats it next month he will be punished every time ,but you obviously know different.

F

FLEET WOLF

He's not the player he could have been. Sure, he's been a good servant for Liverpool and is a good Premiership performer but ten years ago I'd have backed him to become one of the best in the world.

Now past his peak and hasn't met his potential IMO.

I agree with that-if he is our best player, don't worry about watching the second part of the tournament because we won't be in it. The tackle was probably ok, it is his diving over the years that has $$$$ed me off!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
So, are you saying that referees are always right and shouldn't be questioned?

Just because he's a qualified referee means Jack as far as I'm concerned, it's an opinion.

And I am stating facts based on edicts and instructions,there is a hell of a difference.

J

Jameswwfc

Thought it was a good hard tackle to be honest, won the ball and made the player think twice about going near him again

J

Jameswwfc

I agree with that-if he is our best player, don't worry about watching the second part of the tournament because we won't be in it. The tackle was probably ok, it is his diving over the years that has $$$$ed me off!

Unfortunately diving is part of our game now wether you like it or not, if you played for wolves and thought you could gain an advantage by diving i'm sure you would. Wolves players are quite an honest lot, how many times have you said to a mate at the games doyle should of gone down there for example, i know i've said it loads of times.

S

Space Wolf

Thought it was a good hard tackle to be honest, won the ball and made the player think twice about going near him again

I'm pretty sure the Norwegian player on the end of the tackle had to be taken off injured. He's not really going to get near Gerrard again when he's lying on the treatment table.

J

Jameswwfc

I'm pretty sure the Norwegian player on the end of the tackle had to be taken off injured. He's not really going to get near Gerrard again when he's lying on the treatment table.

You know what i mean but if you think your trying to be clever you carry on

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is balls mate. So you're saying Gerrard, on a regular basis, makes double footed challenges? Do you know why there's rarely any fuss made? Because he challenges fairly. He plays hard and fair. There's a major difference between a dirty player and a hard player.

Firstly I'm not disputing what a fantastic player at the top level Gerrard has been over the last few years & also an inspirational captain (though equally I remain to be convinced he still has it)

But yeah tis what I'm saying - he gets away with alot, especially when he plays at Anfield & I do think he has a tendancy to go in studs up & with 2 feet on a regular basis. Maybe not quite to the same extent of follow through as Lampards challenge on Hamill at Molineux this season but in my view (lawyers take note) alot of very nasty/dirty challenges that seem to go unpunished

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly I'm not disputing what a fantastic player at the top level Gerrard has been over the last few years & also an inspirational captain (though equally I remain to be convinced he still has it)

But yeah tis what I'm saying - he gets away with alot, especially when he plays at Anfield & I do think he has a tendancy to go in studs up & with 2 feet on a regular basis. Maybe not quite to the same extent of follow through as Lampards challenge on Hamill at Molineux this season but in my view (lawyers take note) alot of very nasty/dirty challenges that seem to go unpunished
Whilst i agree Gerrards tackle was awful. To compare it to Lampard's is absurd. Gerrard played the ball first and caught the player on the top of the foot on the follow through whilst only lunging in with one leg.
Lampard's was so late on many still images the ball isn't in the picture! His lunge was two footed, studs showing and caught Hammill well above the ankle, where theres a significant risk of a broken leg. Even if the ball was at Hammill's foot, Lampard would have still gone over the top of it!

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst i agree Gerrards tackle was awful. To compare it to Lampard's is absurd. Gerrard played the ball first and caught the player on the top of the foot on the follow through whilst only lunging in with one leg.
Lampard's was so late on many still images the ball isn't in the picture! His lunge was two footed, studs showing and caught Hammill well above the ankle, where theres a significant risk of a broken leg. Even if the ball was at Hammill's foot, Lampard would have still gone over the top of it!

Yes I drew comparison but in the context of saying Gerrards tackling wasn't as bad as that demonstrated by Lampard at Molinuex -so fundamentally don't we agree?

Back
Top Bottom