Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stephen Ward to Everton?

O

Oxford_Wolf

Manchester United's bid to sign Leighton Baines has been boosted by the news Everton are lining up Republic of Ireland international Stephen Ward as his replacement. (Daily Mirror)

B

bridgnorthwolf

Stephen Ward

Is top of Everton's list as a replacement for Leighton Baines if he leaves them.

Ward out for £4million, Papac in for free, Reckord into the first team squad = good business for me.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh no, you know, they'll never take Wardhinho.......

I'll get my coat!

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But, but, but............ We all know Ward is rubbish (I read it on here you know) so how can top managers like Moyes and Trappatoni want him.
In fairness I would consider selling for a few million though. Dependant on if Stale wants him in his new system. He's better than many here will say but (like all our players) has weaknesses and we should be able to find an adequate replacement.

W

WasStefan

Hahhahahhahahahaha

What a good replacement for arguably the best left back in the league

Hahhhahahahahahaha

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Wardy but I'd definitely sell him for anything approaching £4 million.

He's adapted very well to being a left-back, but there are still glaring weaknesses in his defensive game - I actually think (purely for his defensive prowess) Elokobi is a better defender.

I have a feeling that Stale will target this as a position he needs to strengthen and receiving a good fee for a man he may be looking to replace anyway (regardless of how good a footballer he is) would be beneficial for us.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

If true, it is a fantastic move for SW and good luck to him. We could then get a real LB. However Daily Mirror is nearly as bad as the Daily Mail.

R

reanswolf

The Mirror is so bad it literally makes up sports stories. Along with the Mail surely the most unreliable paper.

The_Ned

Reaction score
o_O There is no way Ward is worth £4 million. Or good enough for Everton. If they wish to buy though, we should definitely sell. However, I thought Ward would be gone as soon as McCarthy popped his head up at another club.

I like Ward, its practically impossible not to, and he had an amazing first half of the season. However, both of our full back slots could do with a new member.

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people not believe this? It doesn't say Everton have bid or are even going to, it says they have been asked to be kept informed. Do people think clubs don't talk regularly throughout the season about players and possible tranfers or do people think every club has a blank piece of paper in May and then start thinking of transfers?

Everton may well have been asked to be kept informed about 5 / 6 left backs incase Baines leaves.

Fair play to Ward and with Stoke and Sunderland looking as well

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahhahahhahahahaha

What a good replacement for arguably the best left back in the league
Hahhhahahahahahaha

I remember when the similarly underrated Venus left Wolves with hardly a murmur in the expectation of Steve Sedgley coming in......then got promotion, got to 5th in the Prem, played in Europe, won player of the year for a Prem team and scored twice as many goals in half as many games as he did for Wolves.

It might take a move for Ward to prove he's better than we think. (however i say this before Ireland play tonight.....:D).

Also...if he does go for a good few million, what a return on £100,000?

P

PeteWolf

This has the Olofinjana/Lee Naylor-esque move to it if it comes off!

Reaction score
Merged.

If it meant having more to spend (for us) then defo sell, but if we've already got a substantial chunk set aside for Solbakken don't see much point in selling him - we've got to operate under the assumption, for now, that we'll be promoted again soon and need squad players of the calibre of Ward for that first season back. Also in the Championship his offensive capabilities will be useful, to the extent where they'll probably more than compensate for his defensive failings.

P

PeteWolf

Can anyone imagine it if we held onto Fletcher, Doyle and Jarvis but reluctantly have to succumb to bids for Ward, Henry and Johnson?

Dream transfer window.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Can anyone imagine it if we held onto Fletcher, Doyle and Jarvis but reluctantly have to succumb to bids for Ward, Henry and Johnson?

Dream transfer window.

Belinda Carlisle - weshare the same dream, we want the same things, ooohhh!

P

PeteWolf

Belinda Carlisle - weshare the same dream, we want the same things, ooohhh!

Can't listen to Belinda Carlisle, too many Albion connotations. Blue Heaven is a Place on Earth... Blue Heaven... Frank Skinner. Not that I particularly mind Frank Skinner as it happens, but I always remember that show having numerous scenes from the Hawthorns.

M

Mugwump

I would be loathe to lose ward from the squad tbh, but he isnt a left back, despite the fact he has played the best part of 2 seasons there he still hasnt for whatever reasons learned to defend, and 4 million would be too good an offer to turn down. Saying that, if somebody can get him defending properly he will be a hell of a player. He is a smart footballer and never gives up.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is top of Everton's list as a replacement for Leighton Baines if he leaves them.

Ward out for £4million, Papac in for free, Reckord into the first team squad = good business for me.

Papac - is he good enough for us? Too good for us? ANy other left backs?

If he's better than Ward surely Prem teams will be interested.

But, but, but............ We all know Ward is rubbish (I read it on here you know) so how can top managers like Moyes and Trappatoni want him.
In fairness I would consider selling for a few million though. Dependant on if Stale wants him in his new system. He's better than many here will say but (like all our players) has weaknesses and we should be able to find an adequate replacement.

It's finding the adequate replacement that worries me.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One wonders at how some Wolves fans can greet with such complacency the departure of one of our most consistent performers. Yes Ward's strength is going forward but I would suggest that it is his strength as an attacking full back that assisted Jarvis in getting an English cap. Everton would probably be wiser trying to sign the pair rather than Ward alone.

I

IrishWolf95

If its £4mil I'd snap their hands off and pay for wards journey! We could get a better LB for that!

SOUTHBANK_BULLY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 million you say ? i'll get the car keys and drive him there personally , and i dont even drive

B

BlackBully

But he's crap! If he goes to Everton then I'll eat my nads. And for £4m???? My sides hurt from the laughter. Let's see how well he does tonight shall we?

K

kidderminster wolf

Started the season like a house on fire did Ward then end of the season was utter tripe from Villa home game onwards! That's when we needed Elokobi to give the guy a run for his place. Average player but two positions in 1 Striker and Left Back I think 2m is fair that we only paid 500k for him

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Ward's a fantastic squad player and will be one of the top left-backs in the Championship. However, £4m is one of those deals that should be classed as 'too good to turn down'.

If we were to sell him, I would want us to be ensuring that we were replacing him with someone of similar quality, or the potential to be better.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Papac - is he good enough for us? Too good for us? ANy other left backs?

If he's better than Ward surely Prem teams will be interested.

It's finding the adequate replacement that worries me.

Papac is too good to be playing in The Championship IMO, but we're still a big pull if we can act fast. I'm sure he will attract interest from the PL, but he's the man I'd be targeting on a free. Much better left back than Ward, better left sided CH than Berra and a good left winger/midfielder too. No Jarvis on that score, but we all expect him to be off anyway.

Thing that may help us is his age, hence why I mentioned Reckord being brought onto the scene.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Also, I thought it was mentioned that someone Ståle always seems to sign was a left back. Can't remember his name though and don't know how good he is. Doubt he's as good ad Papac, but must be decent.

W

wanderer24

I'd like Reckford to be given a chance, I always thought along with Davis that he could step up.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be honest here - apart form SF and MJ (who I am sure the Club would love to keep) I reckon there's not one player in this squad we'd not sell should we get a reasonable offer for them? If we could get £4 mil for Ward I'd be amazed - unless of course he has a good Euros?

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Elokobi is good enough for the level we will be playing. Bank the cash and spend the year scouting for a premier quality left back.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ward is a thinking Footballer. His defensive positioning is down to the lack of defensive shape under MM. Under Stale, he will become a lot better. I want him kept. even at £4m.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be sad if Wardy left. Definitely part of the revolution in type of attitude and style of player Mick brought in- young, hungry, skillful. But I guess changed are inevitable over the coming years under Stale, just have to hope he can have as big an impact as Mick had in the first few seasons!

Back
Top Bottom