Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stephen Hunt

Oxford Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interview in the E&S about how he is dissapointed at being left out recently and looking forward to proving something tonight, this seems like an odd thing to say though.......

"All the players playing tonight can do a good job, if not better than the ones in the team."

I get the impression he is one who won't be happy warming the bench but I think the last bit of the sentence is uncalled for.

Full article here http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...2/01/18/stephen-hunt-is-out-to-stake-a-claim/

P

Paul76

Hunt is another player that we need to get going again if we are too survive. I've been kind of disappointed with him since we signed him to be honest.

Mick signed him whilst he was recovering from a broken ankle and big things we expected from him. He's done ok in some games, but I don't really see the Hunt of old when he was at reading and Hull.

Like Rodge, I'm not writing him off yet as he's got a fantastic attitude and he won't simply lie down and except a place on the bench.

Reaction score
Strip away his tenacity and he's not that good a player IMO. It's all well and good hassling people around the pitch but he too often doesn't have enough quality, wouldn't be too sad to see him go with the future being Kightly, Hammill, Jarvis + a new signing/youngster coming up

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he played well against Arsenal [as he says] but was shocking in the Blues away leg. Maybe he's more suited to a CM role now he's losing a bit of his pace ?

I know it won't be a popular view but I love him still - for his heart and his enthusiasm and his fight. I wish he could get himself a nailed on place in the side.

R

Rocky_Balllboa

He has looked like a 45 year old blithering carthorse of late, he cannot even make a simple pass or control the ball, sort your form out Hunt or go

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he needs to raise his game considerably, we've only seen fleeting moments at wolves of the player that looked a good at reading/hull

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I thought he played well against Arsenal [as he says] but was shocking in the Blues away leg. Maybe he's more suited to a CM role now he's losing a bit of his pace ?

I know it won't be a popular view but I love him still - for his heart and his enthusiasm and his fight. I wish he could get himself a nailed on place in the side.

I think he will emerge a better player once he has realised his legs arent what they were, at the moment he is in a transitional period.

F

FLEET WOLF

Strip away his tenacity and he's not that good a player IMO. It's all well and good hassling people around the pitch but he too often doesn't have enough quality, wouldn't be too sad to see him go with the future being Kightly, Hammill, Jarvis + a new signing/youngster coming up

Correct, as I have said on here many times, I didn't really want him here in the first place. His basic control is now poor and he struggles with even simple passes.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sad but his legs have gone. Not a Premier league player anymore.

Reaction score
In his defence I think he looks a bit lost on the right, where he's often been asked to play to accomodate Jarvis - which isn't his fault, but it doesn't change the fact that we've definitely got a better option on the left, and on the right Hammill & Kites are starting to look more viable (Kightly after one game lol, but you know what I mean)

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Decent read.

In terms of raw talent, he's one of our weaker players, but his tenacity was on show at the end of last season - saving our Premier league status.

I'm glad to read he's desperate to be back in the side.

B

Bostin

I used to love Hunty, but he just annoys me everytime I watch him now.

I lose count of how many times he miss-controls a pass and causes an attack to break down during a game.

S

Sharples

Amazing how supporters ask for loyalty from players yet show none as written above by many of you.

He's off form ffs, doesnt deserve to be in the team on current form but Im sure he'll be back to a decent level soon enough.

Stuff like his legs have gone is $$$$ing $$$$$$$$

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This place was in meltdown when we failed in our bid to sign him 2 years ago, can a player really 'die' as such in that period of time? Even at 30?

He was quality at Reading, even at Hull 6 months before he came here. To read things like he has poor control, misplaces passes often etc is annoying to read (as true as it is right now) because all of those things were on show when at Reading/Hull. He has shown it in flashes, but never really nailed it down properly. Anybody questioning Hunt doesn’t have quality should really watch his goal against Blackburn again.

However due to a variety of reasons (injuries? form? position?) he has never really managed to settle down since signing here. I don’t think we should give up on him yet though because clearly he has it in him and is our only midfielder along with O'Hara who has a goal in him. His passion to get back into the team which is clear from that article, should be admired, not critisized.

EDIT:

Amazing how supporters ask for loyalty from players yet show none as written above by many of you.

He's off form ffs, doesnt deserve to be in the team on current form but Im sure he'll be back to a decent level soon enough.

Stuff like his legs have gone is $$$$ing $$$$$$$$

This.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just been somewhat surreal in the last few games how many times he's given the ball away from either bad control or poor passes.

His legs haven't gone at all though - he's never been quick.

B

Bostin

This place was in meltdown when we failed in our bid to sign him 2 years ago, can a player really 'die' as such in that period of time? Even at 30?

He was quality at Reading, even at Hull 6 months before he came here. To read things like he has poor control, misplaces passes often etc is annoying to read (as true as it is right now) because all of those things were on show when at Reading/Hull. He has shown it in flashes, but never really nailed it down properly. Anybody questioning Hunt doesn’t have quality should really watch his goal against Blackburn again.

However due to a variety of reasons (injuries? form? position?) he has never really managed to settle down since signing here. I don’t think we should give up on him yet though because clearly he has it in him and is our only midfielder along with O'Hara who has a goal in him. His passion to get back into the team which is clear from that article, should be admired, not critisized.

EDIT:

This.

So what would you rather do? Play him in place of Kightly, a player coming back to being top drawer, and hope that he recaptures some sort of form? Or shift him into midfield and replace our better creative players?

B

bridgnorthwolf

EDIT:

This.

Agreed with all of that.

Never been a quick, flying winger, but a little tricky winger. Still got it, just out of form. I wanted us to sign him from day one and it took a while, but at the end of last season and first two games of this season he was truly sensational. Had a poor game at Villa and never really recovered, although he played well against Arsenal in the "hole".

Paddy Wolf

Reaction score
I think he's a good back-up left winger to Jarvis. I think he's guilty of trying too hard sometimes and rushing his play, he's also suffered from playing on the right a lot.
We shouldn't underestimate the importance of his goals though. As well, as the famous goal against Blackburn last season, he also scored a crucial one against Blues at home and Sunderland in the 3-2 win and is great at attacking the far post when we're attacking from the other side.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what would you rather do? Play him in place of Kightly, a player coming back to being top drawer, and hope that he recaptures some sort of form? Or shift him into midfield and replace our better creative players?

Funny you should mention Michael Kightly, the comments on this thread were not too dissimilar to what we were saying about Kights only 3/4 months ago. Fast forward to now and he is "top drawer".

Hunt is a left winger, if he is to come back into the side it needs to be there, on current form Jarvis isn’t getting dropped but I would bed Hunt back into that position via a few sub appearances and then who knows. Not a bad player to come off the bench and a very different option to Jarvo.

B

Bostin

Funny you should mention Michael Kightly, the comments on this thread were not too dissimilar to what we were saying about Kights only 3/4 months ago. Fast forward to now and he is "top drawer".

Hunt is a left winger, if he is to come back into the side it needs to be there, on current form Jarvis isn’t getting dropped but I would bed Hunt back into that position via a few sub appearances and then who knows. Not a bad player to come off the bench and a very different option to Jarvo.

Kightly is 26 years old and was phenomenal in our promotion season. The only reason he's not reached that level so far is because he hasn't played when fit.

Hunt is currently fit, but is nowhere near as good as Kightly is or was. Agree on having him as a bench player, but if we're looking to close out a game and keep possession, I'd hardly want him as preferred option.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kightly is 26 years old and was phenomenal in our promotion season. The only reason he's not reached that level so far is because he hasn't played when fit.

Hunt is currently fit, but is nowhere near as good as Kightly is or was. Agree on having him as a bench player, but if we're looking to close out a game and keep possession, I'd hardly want him as preferred option.

I take your point about the age but I have to disagree with the rest.

I think you are underestimating Hunt’s importance to the team. It was dropping Jarvis at the back end of last season which gave Hunt his 'true' position, with no switching to the right hand side throughout games to get the best out of Jarvis and he was fantastic. Against the Albion he was like a man possessed and generally showed his qualities in those final few games. Like I say, I wouldn’t write Hunt off at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bostin

I take your point about the age but I have to disagree with the rest.

I think you are underestimating Hunt’s importance to the team. It was dropping Jarvis at the back end of last season which gave Hunt his 'true' position, with no switching to the right hand side throughout games to get the best out of Jarvis and he was fantastic. Against the Albion he was like a man possessed and generally showed his qualities in those final few games. Like I say, I wouldn’t write Hunt off at all.

Fair point. Hunt has his place, maybe in a 4-5-1 where we need to close the opposition (he said that in the article himself), but I wouldn't have him in my first 11.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But surely if you say Hunty's a left winger then you should also argue that Jarvo should be a right winger ?? - Mick prefers to play them on their opposite natural sides right footer on the left and vice versa. Of course Jarvo has always normally played on the left so as he can be effective cutting in and taking shots with his right [or used to be] ... maybe its unfair forcing Hunty to do the same just to suit Jarvo ?

For me Kites has only proven himself in one game to date against PL opposition [albeit only 4 days ago] but let's hope he carries that on and gives Mick a selection nightmare.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But surely if you say Hunty's a left winger then you should also argue that Jarvo should be a right winger ?? - Mick prefers to play them on their opposite natural sides right footer on the left and vice versa. Of course Jarvo has always normally played on the left so as he can be effective cutting in and taking shots with his right [or used to be] ... maybe its unfair forcing Hunty to do the same just to suit Jarvo ?

For me Kites has only proven himself in one game to date against PL opposition [albeit only 4 days ago] but let's hope he carries that on and gives Mick a selection nightmare.

Jarvis is half the player he is when on the right. Some wingers need to play on their opposite side and Jarvis is one of those IMO. Even though he is right footed, he looks strangely uncomfortable when played there. On the left he can very much “kick and run†which when you think about it is harder to do on his stronger side.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Hunt has looked out of sorts for a few games now.

Got to start Jarvo on the left before him
Got to start Kites / Hammill on the right before him

Still has a role to play, he has lost his speed but can still be a terrier in peoples faces

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I beg to differ. To date Hunt's a better player I'd say, plus has proved it long-term. If Kites can match or exceed that, then happy days are here.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm surprised to read he is only 30. I must admit I thought he was 33-34.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let your performances on the pitch do the talking Stephen, starting with tonight please!

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think time time on the pitch will be limited now on. Jarvis is as good as any on the LW when on form and with Kightly and Hammill looking sharp on the RW it's difficult to see where Hunt can be accommodated other than as cover. We could also move O'Hara to LM adding more competition for Hunt.

I like his spirit and it's great to read that he's fighting for his place. This will push the other wingers to perform.

Could he be accommodated at LB? That's a whole new thread!

G

GoldForever

One of the worst ball controllers of the ball iv seen down here at The Mol.
Awful player, offers very very little, if anything at all.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the worst ball controllers of the ball iv seen down here at The Mol.
Awful player, offers very very little, if anything at all.

Drive, tenacity, work horse, decent dead ball taker and a goal threat.

He's been below par; yes. But awful? Get the hell outta here.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read it as...

Players out of the team being sharper and hungrier in training as so could therefore do a better job than those in it.

Not a knock on someone like Edwards - who is obviously more limited than some players.

He wants to play.. that's all there is to it.

S

Stratford Wolf

Last game of last season he was quite useful imo

I seem to remember him scoring an important goal.......

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hunt has no right to complain about being left out of the side based on his performances. They have been far from the required standard.

His ball control and technical ability is poor, which is why he slows down all of our attacking play whenever the ball reaches him. Why on earth would anybody want that in the most critical area of the pitch, the central midfield engine room?

If all we want is a grafter in the middle of the pitch, someone to hustle and bustle the opposition, then Edwards is far more effective at that role than Hunt.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hunt has no right to complain about being left out of the side based on his performances. They have been far from the required standard.

His ball control and technical ability is poor, which is why he slows down all of our attacking play whenever the ball reaches him. Why on earth would anybody want that in the most critical area of the pitch, the central midfield engine room?

If all we want is a grafter in the middle of the pitch, someone to hustle and bustle the opposition, then Edwards is far more effective at that role than Hunt.

Ask the Arsenal midfield how effective Hunt was in that role and that's not a dig at Edwards. But don't sell Hunt short.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ask the Arsenal midfield how effective Hunt was in that role and that's not a dig at Edwards. But don't sell Hunt short.

Elokobi had a good game once. Doesn't mean he deserves to be in the side either.

Back
Top Bottom