Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their average attendances doubled when they moved to the SoL and they have remained well above their historical averages even in the third tier. It’s really not a great example to use to undermine the case for a bigger and better stadium. You could pick other teams sure, but all based on clubs which couldn’t sustain their place in a higher league or even reach it in the first place.

Secondly, even if you only had 25k fans in a 40k enclosed Molineux then it would still sound better than 25k in the current stadium. The four main stands would be equally full and the corners might be empty but would be enclosed, trapping the sound. Personally I’m not bothered by the sight of empty corners, it’s the sound which counts.
I agree on this too. Ive always been a big supporter of the redevelopment, and even if things go tits up on the pitch, 25k in a 40k stadium, fully enclosed, is better than what we have now. Really wish they would continue the North Bank around the entire stadium and make the South Bank one tier (like Spurs). 40k is the max we would need though. But enclosing the stadium on all corners, to me, would make a massive difference to the atmosphere. For the better.

R

reanswolf

Their average attendances doubled when they moved to the SoL and they have remained well above their historical averages even in the third tier. It’s really not a great example to use to undermine the case for a bigger and better stadium. You could pick other teams sure, but all based on clubs which couldn’t sustain their place in a higher league or even reach it in the first place.

Secondly, even if you only had 25k fans in a 40k enclosed Molineux then it would still sound better than 25k in the current stadium. The four main stands would be equally full and the corners might be empty but would be enclosed, trapping the sound. Personally I’m not bothered by the sight of empty corners, it’s the sound which counts.
Oh for years I’ve wanted a more enclosed Molineux. I hate the side stands being so far from the pitch. But I would hate the sight of thousands of empty seats.

I want to see us maximise our potential but just don’t think much more than 35000 is needed. I agree cheaper pricing could change that though.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh for years I’ve wanted a more enclosed Molineux. I hate the side stands being so far from the pitch. But I would hate the sight of thousands of empty seats.

I want to see us maximise our potential but just don’t think much more than 35000 is needed. I agree cheaper pricing could change that though.
Agree a maximum capcity of 40k will be more than enough at the moment.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its a different world watching football in 2022 to what me and you have been used to.....it's family based....Women's football is attracting 90k crowds at Wembley by enticing a totally different type of crowd at reasonable prices....Off course wolves can attract more fans by targeting families etc at reasonable prices......look at the crowd against Preston it was all families....

If west ham can attract nearly 20k more season ticket holder at their new stadium, off course wolves can expand its current fan base....
Football is expanding across the board ....we must be the only fan base who keep looking at the past and not the future.....off course we can expand if it is done correctly....we are pricing a generation out at the minute...

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am proud of Molineux, but I’ve seen every single stand rebuilt in my lifetime, the NB twice. The pitch has moved roughly half way further from Waterloo Road, and the area surrounding has changed out of all recognition. I’m less tied to the current stands because of that, so just want a stadium which works for the fans and works for the club, including not bankrupting us again! I wouldn’t want to move, even within the city centre, if we could avoid it. But in saying that, had history been different and instead of SJH’s stands, we’d have built a 30-35k identikit stadium at Molineux, looking like the SoL or Riverside or Leicester, then we’d have been much better served in the long term. So for me I’d be happy with the gradual replacement of the stands and filling in corners with simple functional stands which provide future flexibility for further expansion, and targets 40k-45k in the first instance.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
W
Its a different world watching football in 2022 to what me and you have been used to.....it's family based....Women's football is attracting 90k crowds at Wembley by enticing a totally different type of crowd at reasonable prices....Off course wolves can attract more fans by targeting families etc at reasonable prices......look at the crowd against Preston it was all families....

If west ham can attract nearly 20k more season ticket holder at their new stadium, off course wolves can expand its current fan base....
Football is expanding across the board ....we must be the only fan base who keep looking at the past and not the future.....off course we can expand if it is done correctly....we are pricing a generation out at the minute...
West Ham is an interesting one. That first season they were desperate to fill the stadium and season tickets were dirt cheap, IIRC the cheapest were £99. I was living in London at the time and had previously lived for many years in east London and have a few Hammers mates and seriously considered buying one even if only to have four or five days out per season with mates.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
W

West Ham is an interesting one. That first season they were desperate to fill the stadium and season tickets were dirt cheap, IIRC the cheapest were £99. I was living in London at the time and had previously lived for many years in east London and have a few Hammers mates and seriously considered buying one even if only to have four or five days out per season with mates.
There dearest season ticket for u16s is £140.....that's in the best seats....think they go down to £75......it's similar with their OAP tickets......they have heavily reduced concession tickets....

It's what wolves need to do , to expand the fan base ......better facilities and reduced concession tickets....the demographics of the fan base on cup games is noticeable.......it was all families in the top of the north bank against Preston....unlike a premier league game.... football has changed , people who wouldn't have ever took there families to football will go nw.....but the price needs to accommodate this.....off course we can expand our fan base ...

R

reanswolf

Fair point, in the past I’ve often said it’s an unknown just how big our support could be if we had capacity AND good prices.

Clearly won’t do so at £39. But at £25 we could get a lot more in.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point, in the past I’ve often said it’s an unknown just how big our support could be if we had capacity AND good prices.

Clearly won’t do so at £39. But at £25 we could get a lot more in.
Totally agree....as I said west ham haven't suddenly got 20k more season ticket holders....it's been manipulated by concession tickets ....that's how they have done it....30k are paying proper prices the other 20k are not.....they currently have more season ticket holders than any other club .....

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read with interest about half empty stadium with no atmosphere
During the sixties and seventies with a capacity of over fifty thousand if I remember correctly the average gate was in the twenty thousands
Atmosphere in the north bank second to none
Seating has obviously changed things let’s rip out the seats and pay on the gate. Oh for the good old days room for everyone and pick the glamour matches without being called a glory hunter
Pay to be entertained not being forced to go because you are not a true supporter if you don’t want to see rubbish

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would sell out most games at 40, even 45k without any price adjustments. The season ticket waiting list would pretty much fill our extra season ticket space, and fans priced out of paying £30-40 every game would have greater opportunity to pick the odd game here and there as members or even general sale. With a larger capacity the club could even be creative with price tiering and concessions and still make it viable.

At the moment, even as a member you don't get too many options over where to sit for many games unless you want to go on your own, even worse for those those trying to snare a ticket through General Sale. Then there's the new stadium bounce we've seen with plenty of other clubs. Done the right way the club could capitalise on 45k and make it more profitable, without question.

R

reanswolf

I think we would sell out most games at 40, even 45k without any price adjustments. The season ticket waiting list would pretty much fill our extra season ticket space, and fans priced out of paying £30-40 every game would have greater opportunity to pick the odd game here and there as members or even general sale. With a larger capacity the club could even be creative with price tiering and concessions and still make it viable.

At the moment, even as a member you don't get too many options over where to sit for many games unless you want to go on your own, even worse for those those trying to snare a ticket through General Sale. Then there's the new stadium bounce we've seen with plenty of other clubs. Done the right way the club could capitalise on 45k and make it more profitable, without question.
I am not sure we would sell a thousand more at current prices - there are 250 left for tomorrow.

How big is the ST waiting list after this seasons adjustment and how many are match paying attendees anyway?

If it was 25 quid different ball game

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

From memory, Wolves have averaged over 30k since promotion in 2018, except when the stadium was closed for covid obviously.
So long as we stay in the Premier League, we shouldn't have to worry about about 25k average attendances.
In my view, we need a minimum of a 40k capacity to expand into, to grow the club, and attract more local younger support too.
But apart from that, as has been said many times, we need Phase One, to take us up to 35/36k, and see how it pans out from there.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not sure we would sell a thousand more at current prices - there are 250 left for tomorrow.

How big is the ST waiting list after this seasons adjustment and how many are match paying attendees anyway?

What type of different ball game do you think would sell more tickets?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Remember being upset at being turned away from kids entrance I was only 18, had to pay full price 50p broke my heart four pints in proper currency :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I'd rather they upped capacity to say 45K but reduced prices to fill it.
I also realise that if they spent £50-100million that's unlikely to happen.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

This is key. I think they have now just about maximised prices for the current capacity and, as you suggest, to get more in they’d have to reduce prices. My belief is they’ve done the sums and it’s not worth increasing capacity as they wouldn’t see enough of an increase in revenue to justify the capital expenditure.

It’s been said before, and I agree, that the ST waiting list is nowhere near as high as they say and there’s loads of people like my son and me who have no interest in buying a ST but are on the waiting list as an insurance policy in case demand increases and getting match tickets becomes too difficult. At the moment this is not the case as we can easily get tickets for any game we want with our memberships.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we expand the stadium prices have to rise to pay the interest payments.
Don't be dense.

Prices of match day tickets are just one stream of income, and very far from the decisive one. Price levels are just one component of a club's financial strategy, and are set according to strategic priorities.

A stadium with many young people gives many short and long-term advantages.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Less than 250 now and a huge chunk of that is either in the disability only or hospitality only. You can't get two together in the entire stadium, and even three near each other is an ask. As it stands, I can't go, and that's been the case for a while for any decent game.

I haven't been able to get tickets easily for ages and am well down the pecking order for a season ticket despite being on the list for three years.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There dearest season ticket for u16s is £140.....that's in the best seats....think they go down to £75......it's similar with their OAP tickets......they have heavily reduced concession tickets....

It's what wolves need to do , to expand the fan base ......better facilities and reduced concession tickets....the demographics of the fan base on cup games is noticeable.......it was all families in the top of the north bank against Preston....unlike a premier league game.... football has changed , people who wouldn't have ever took there families to football will go nw.....but the price needs to accommodate this.....off course we can expand our fan base ...
West Ham only do that because they have existing capacity. I don’t mean ‘wow, what a big stadium they have’, I mean, their stadium would look half empty if they didn’t offer great concessions on what would be empty seats. Wolves on the other hand could sell nearly all their existing tickets at Adult prices. Not sure expanding the stadium would be that beneficial if we’re only going to sell the extra seat tickets to U16’s for £75-£150.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it shows that if tickets are going on general sale, the 20,000 ST waiting list is a bit of a myth in the sense that many of those can’t be too desperate to get tickets.

35000 capacity is ample for us whilst we have such high pricing.
I’m on the waiting list for a season ticket with my boy - having a season ticket would allow me to plan my weekends and importantly, my travel. Living 3.5hours each way away, it’s a real mission to organise the family at the last minute, and the train prices jump massively which all adds the cost.

Not a poor me post, just that it’s not as easy as “tickets are making it to general sale”

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

Virtually all the seats left for the Newcastle match, reans has counted 250, are scattered about as singles with barely any two together.
In W3 there are 35 seats, 30 of those are a block of hospitality seats, there are only 10 left in the Graham Hughes Stand, so the options left, as you say, are minimal.
Basically, STH's returns, less those in the GH and hospitality, which went on sale a few days ago, anyone wanting to go with family or friends have had it.

R

reanswolf

Less than 250 now and a huge chunk of that is either in the disability only or hospitality only. You can't get two together in the entire stadium, and even three near each other is an ask. As it stands, I can't go, and that's been the case for a while for any decent game.

I haven't been able to get tickets easily for ages and am well down the pecking order for a season ticket despite being on the list for three years.
I do sympathise if you go as a group but honestly if you are going as a single person most home games are quite easy to get tickets for.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do sympathise if you go as a group but honestly if you are going as a single person most home games are quite easy to get tickets for.
But let’s be honest. Of the total current capacity, less than 1% of seats remain unsold for the Newcastle game, and that’s a bank holiday weekend when most hospitality tickets will be unsold as offices are half empty, many STHs are away on family holidays, and the game is on tv. And even then, most of those tickets are scattered and only popped up in the past couple of days, so are unsuitable for families, groups or those who need to make travel plans. In any other business, such as airlines, cinemas, concert venues, etc they would say we’re fully sold out. But it’s not just tomorrow, it’s been the same every PL game since we were promoted.

I think there is a very valid and sensible debate about what additional capacity we need or could fill regularly, but there is no argument that we could sell more seats in every PL game than we currently have.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Remember being upset at being turned away from kids entrance I was only 18, had to pay full price 50p broke my heart four pints in proper currency :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

i remember it being 6d to 9d in old money for us kids, I think if we want to challenge the top clubs we need the 40k to 50k stadium,
the right pricing Wolves would fill it for probably 85% of the games, and i agree to finish the ground to S Morgan's plans, looks great from pics and also a chance to finish the North Bank roof, am fed up of watching footie in a rain forest,

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The game changer for me would be having a stand / area where you are able to have unreserved seating so you can just buy a ticket with your mates at short notice and you know that provided you get there early enough you can actually sit together.. appreciate that although this happens at pretty much any stadium concert it’s unlikely in the premier league :(

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The game changer for me would be having a stand / area where you are able to have unreserved seating so you can just buy a ticket with your mates at short notice and you know that provided you get there early enough you can actually sit together.. appreciate that although this happens at pretty much any stadium concert it’s unlikely in the premier league :(

Football games of years gone by :(

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham only do that because they have existing capacity. I don’t mean ‘wow, what a big stadium they have’, I mean, their stadium would look half empty if they didn’t offer great concessions on what would be empty seats. Wolves on the other hand could sell nearly all their existing tickets at Adult prices. Not sure expanding the stadium would be that beneficial if we’re only going to sell the extra seat tickets to U16’s for £75-£150.
Yes agree....just disputing we couldn't get bigger crowds theory......

And west ham are breeding the new generation of fans where ours are shut out as such.....

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, that's my point. Groups aren't able to go, so people are missing out on the chance to go even if single tickets are available.

For me, football isn't expensive. If I take the kids it's cheaper than Go Ape - granted if I took the kids every week, it wouldn't be viable, but as an occasional activity it's fine. Likewise if I want to go with my dad or a mate - if I go to a festival, go karting, whatever.... it's gonna cost me £30ish, same as going to the football.

I do remember when it was far cheaper. I also went during the 80's. The cost increase compared to then isn't ideal, but I also remember going under Taylor and paying around the same as what I pay now. I feel for those who are priced out but whilst it isn't a cheap activity I genuinely don't think we are being fleeced and do think we would fill 40k easily and 45k with some clever concessions and tiered pricing.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While we are at it, i would never let the away fans have the area they have now along the front of the stand, Newcastle have it right, stick them up in the rafters lol

That was the plan with the Morgan rebuild..the North Bank was to be extended around and away fans would have the whole of the upper tier corner, double what it is now in the corner.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
yeah i think those plans were great, all but i believe Morgan had an alternative plan and reason for building the North bank when he did. I think putting the away fans in West Park is near enough or even better at the poorthorns, i mean the West park ducks don't deserve all that noise,LOL.

R

reanswolf

But let’s be honest. Of the total current capacity, less than 1% of seats remain unsold for the Newcastle game, and that’s a bank holiday weekend when most hospitality tickets will be unsold as offices are half empty, many STHs are away on family holidays, and the game is on tv. And even then, most of those tickets are scattered and only popped up in the past couple of days, so are unsuitable for families, groups or those who need to make travel plans. In any other business, such as airlines, cinemas, concert venues, etc they would say we’re fully sold out. But it’s not just tomorrow, it’s been the same every PL game since we were promoted.

I think there is a very valid and sensible debate about what additional capacity we need or could fill regularly, but there is no argument that we could sell more seats in every PL game than we currently have.
I partly agree, but if there are 12000 truly on the waiting list you would think 250 would not be available for most of the day.

I’m honestly just not sure what to summarise from that, taking on board all the views rightly highlighted.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone think incorporating the iconic 7 pitched roof back in one of the stands would make our ground different from the sole less grounds springing up these days.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I partly agree, but if there are 12000 truly on the waiting list you would think 250 would not be available for most of the day.

I’m honestly just not sure what to summarise from that, taking on board all the views rightly highlighted.

The point is that the number of spare tickets is in the level of noise.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But in saying that, had history been different and instead of SJH’s stands, we’d have built a 30-35k identikit stadium at Molineux, looking like the SoL or Riverside or Leicester, then we’d have been much better served in the long term. So for me I’d be happy with the gradual replacement of the stands and filling in corners with simple functional stands which provide future flexibility for further expansion, and targets 40k-45k in the first instance.
I strongly disagree.

I want a stadium with some individual character.
Uniqueness.
And would be perfectly happy with 4 individual stands, don’t get the lust for perfectly filled in corners.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Don't be dense.

Prices of match day tickets are just one stream of income, and very far from the decisive one. Price levels are just one component of a club's financial strategy, and are set according to strategic priorities.

A stadium with many young people gives many short and long-term advantages.
Must be why the investment company with an army of analysts and haven't deemed it worthy

Back
Top Bottom