Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Staale's Express and Star Comments

L

luckyjim

I've just read the E & S article where Staale has cited the mentality of the team as a whole as the main reason for our sluggish start to the season.

"Teams have murdered us – we have been bullied a little bit and we have to make sure that doesn’t happen and be stronger."

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport.../09/06/stale-solbakken-no-fear-is-wolves-way/

What is also interesting is Staale has said this is a problem that began in our first season in the Prem. Personally, in spite of Mick constantly spinning about his team being "battlers", in many games at the time (think Blues home Nov 09; Wigan home Dec 10/11; Bolton home Nov 10/11 etc) there were a lot of home performances where the opposition dominated and we let them play.

To what extent do you think mental strength is playing in our current performances and how long do you think it's been an issue?

E

Essex Wolf

If Stale's comments are correct in anyway then your last question would appear to have already been answered by Stale himself, IE first season in the PL but quite how he can tell I don't know.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly, it is extremely important, along side confidence IMO, as to how long? Probably 1 1/2 seasons. I personally would have changed the management team on 23 May 2011.

E

Essex Wolf

Firstly, it is extremely important, along side confidence IMO, as to how long? Probably 1 1/2 seasons. I personally would have changed the management team on 23 May 2011.

That's what many of us believe GHS.

The writing was on the wall that season but either ignored or never seen.

O

OldWolvesfart

I'm hoping that Stale is as shrewd as he sounds. He supposedly watched his way through season's of video's so that and getting to know the team may be the basis of his statement.
It rings true whichever way you look at it.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's what many of us believe GHS.

The writing was on the wall that season but either ignored or never seen.

Some folks have said thay I'm using hind sight, but I definitely wrote that at the time. The last nail biting day of that particular season was enough for me.

E

Essex Wolf

Some folks have said thay I'm using hind sight, but I definitely wrote that at the time. The last nail biting day of that particular season was enough for me.

All I will say GHS and not just to back you up here but I recall the journey home that day. There were 7 of us who travelled up and all but one said they felt McCarthy had done a great job but time for a change.

A

andyc225

Mental strength and confidence are vital to team performance. A lot of people on this forum have identified that the team looks low on confidence - this is only going to return with goals and positive results.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I will say GHS and not just to back you up here but I recall the journey home that day. There were 7 of us who travelled up and all but one said they felt McCarthy had done a great job but time for a change.

Why the $$$$ are we STILL going on about McCarthy? He was not sacked in May '11; but he is gone now. Sod Mick and focus on the STS revolution. Up the Wolves.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the $$$$ are we STILL going on about McCarthy? He was not sacked in May '11; but he is gone now. Sod Mick and focus on the STS revolution. Up the Wolves.

Put your neck back in, it is all relevant to the question asked.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes well we have got the change now but unfortunately look a worse championship outfit than before! But better than under hoddle so that's a bonus

L

long ball man

yep, put your neck back in.

Its Stale or is Staale sp? who has raised the McCarthy spectre by referring to how we performed in our first season in the Prem.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just this thread; it's everywhere else as well.

O

OldWolvesfart

I agree the thread is about Stale and his opinion and comments about the team members who came down from the premiership.
Sure you can bring in Mick into the argument but it is time to move on and focus on where we are and what the new manager may or may not do.

E

E is for idiot.

Wind your neck in. One of my favourite phrases that is. And I think Stale is right, we do seem to have a hangover, maybe four or five wins will clear the cobwebs and allow a new mentality to settle!

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's Stale if you can put that funny little 'o' over the 'a'; which unfornunately I cannot do. :D

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is also interesting is Staale has said this is a problem that began in our first season in the Prem. Personally, in spite of Mick constantly spinning about his team being "battlers", in many games at the time (think Blues home Nov 09; Wigan home Dec 10/11; Bolton home Nov 10/11 etc) there were a lot of home performances where the opposition dominated and we let them play.

nit picking a little but what this is what the quote actually said
The Norwegian believes Wolves have been on the slide ever since they survived their first Premier League season

so that's the second and third season not the first season, which I think is true. Survivial was always going to be the target first season, we just didn't manage to move on from that then the decline set in from part way through second season

S

SimplyTheWolves

Mental strength is playing a big part, that along with a lack of ability in certain areas was and still is holding us back. As for how long it's been an issue is from my point of view ever since we got promoted.
The survival mentality was what we needed in the first season and it paid off, the second season we stuck to it and to a degree it was still needed, but the more we used this mentality the more it became monotonous for the players and in my opinion they eventually came to the point where they just couldn't bring themselves to raise their game, consequently they gave up mentally and it still remains.

J

johndewolf5

Two months ago Wolves appointed the ex ECB and Warwickshire CC players as sports psychologist. Focus is largely on first team. This is revealing in light of Stale's interview.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Stale's comments are correct in anyway then your last question would appear to have already been answered by Stale himself, IE first season in the PL but quite how he can tell I don't know.

because he is an expert, who has taken a team to the nou camp and drawn there.

D

Deleted member 3751

It was reported that the previous regime constantly told the players they had to make up for technical deficiencies with hard work so it's no surprise that there may have been an inferiority complex whilst in the PL. That inferiority complex has carried over, is embedded in the club, and needs shifting asap.

A

Apocalypse Now

Two months ago Wolves appointed the ex ECB and Warwickshire CC players as sports psychologist. Focus is largely on first team. This is revealing in light of Stale's interview.

When did we get rid of the psychologist we used to have - I wonder if it was at the end o our first season in the Prem?

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stale is dead right about mental strength and not being bullied. If he can turn these things around, we'll be OK.

O

OldWolvesfart

You get the feeling that Ståle actually knows what he is doing and is hungry for success. Has every possible chance of being the manager we have been waiting for in so many years. Go Ståle.

L

luckyjim

For me, Staale has hit the nail on the head. I think over the last three years, all the talk of Wolves being battlers became a self-fulfilling prophecy. We had this label of being battlers but we didn't need to be. Norwich and Swansea came up and showed you didn't necessarily have to have a backs to the wall mentally, but that you could just enjoy playing good football. It all seemed like the team were like somebody going for a walk in the park yet instead of enjoying the view they were imagining a lion was going to jump out the next bush.

There's only so long a team can carry on for when every game becomes a fight. And apart from Blackpool at home or West Ham away I can barely remember when even a victory was a smooth one.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got it absolutely right. It is so refreshing to have an intelligent manager in charge for a change. It is a big call but I think he is up to it.

I was a little worried about his reference to bringing in a lot of money through sales but that there was a wage bill to pay. If the board don't continue to back him fully in the transfer market in January and beyond I for one will be furious and fans will start voting wth their feet. Stale is no shrinking violet and if Moxey and co start being penny pinchers at crucial times in team development I can see the sparks fly.

T

TommyWilms

I believe the mentality of wolves fans who are too quick to boo a sideways pass genuinely don't help either. Some of our players look scared and this must have some effect on confidence. Sometimes it looked like our players in the past would rather not do anything that do something and make a mistake. For me I always admire JOH for at least trying to get on the ball rather than hide.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the second season we still payed some decent games and has some great results against top teams where the pressure was off, I think they struggled with the day to day winnable games and even more so in the last season. The pressure of being perennial relegation battlers fianlly took it's toll. Very few teams (Wigan maybe being the obvious exception in recent seasons) manage more than 2 relegation battles, they either make the step up towards mid table or they get relegated.
Ståle is right though we need to get over the hangover of the last few seasons, and look at anew approach and fresh start. Time for the club as a whole Management, players and fans to put the failings of last season behind us and concentrate on building a new successful team to get us back to the prem

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would have got rid of MM before then. I openly said that MM should have gone after the defeat to Blackpool in November 2010.

The manor we survived in 2011 papered over the ever expanding cracks. I agree that MM and his team should not have been managing the team after that season.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was reported that the previous regime constantly told the players they had to make up for technical deficiencies with hard work so it's no surprise that there may have been an inferiority complex whilst in the PL. That inferiority complex has carried over, is embedded in the club, and needs shifting asap.

It wasn't just reported. I can remember when Mick was sacked, Fletch, Jarvis and Doyle were interviewed by Sky and each one stated how they weren't as good as the rest of the Premier League and that they should have worked harder to make up for it. Now, if your three best players either really think they're dog-$$$$ or are towing the party line because their team-mates are dog-$$$$, then I'm not surprised morale was $$$$ed up.

DawleyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Indeed, if you think the only new players we brought in that summer were Johnson and De Vries, that's where the management mistake was made - even Mick himself said in 20/20 hindsight that he should have freshened up the squad at that time.

How were those 2 players going to change us from a 1 goal escape team to being comfortable - no chance as it happens.

20/20 hind sight is a wonderful thing.....

Back
Top Bottom