Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs (H) Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 5276
  • Start date

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s no mean feat to have a noticeable improvement in the style of play with pretty much the same outfield 10 we were using last season. If Southampton can manage a point against Man Utd then there’s no reason we can’t get a result next weekend.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through the rest of this thread yet, so I'm not sure if I'm going against the grain here, but...

Even though we lost, that was the most pleasure I've had from watching a Wolves game in well over a year. We were excellent.

We played high, we played fast, we got the ball forward at every opportunity, we pressed, we created chances. We didn't do that backwards-sideways-backwards passing crap that has blighted us for so very long. We threaded balls through static lines instead of playing aimlessly in front of them. We got players up in support. Most wonderfully, we won the ball high up the park the way the more progressive teams like Leicester and Man Utd do instead of camping around our penalty box, and then we were sharp and direct. Every time the ball came into midfield there were one or two gold shirts there to press and win it, and there were options ahead to pass to. That's how football is supposed to be played.

I loved seeing through balls into space for Traore to run onto, as so many of us have been screaming for for so long, and loved seeing Neves playing beyond the halfway line. Sa was stupid and clumsy for the penalty, despite how Alli bought it, but he redeemed himself with some good saves and by playing high off his line with quick, clever distribution. Just like last week, if Adama takes his one-on-one, we get a point, but apart from that he was our gem, always wriggling free and being direct, and so much good came through him. Isn't it noticeable how he's so much more forward thinking now and spends less time on his backside?

Negatives, only that Trincao is ridiculously left-footed and that halves our danger potential on the right, and that Marcal - who was strong in defence - can't cross a football to save his life, so I'd prefer Ait Nouri there. And, obviously, that we didn't score. But otherwise we did everything right, and the goals will come, sooner rather than later.

A word on Nuno. Spurs were truly insipid and they played EXACTLY like we did when we were at our worst, slow and compact and no guile. They won, but winning isn't everything. Spurs fans won't have that. As soon as they stop winning and get turned over by a Watford or a Palace or a Newcastle with sub-40% possession (which will happen) then they'll revolt. I know which team I was happy and proud to watch today, and it wasn't the one that stole the points. Vive la Lage.
Agreed the 90 minutes flew by today very entertaining game.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Standard VAR.

If the ref doesn’t give it then VAR doesn’t overrule. If the ref gives ours then VAR doesn’t overrule.

Whole thing isn’t fit for purpose.
It was clearly not a pen under the new rules when reviewed by replay. If that’s a pen then where was ours 5 mins later? In my view neither were penalties but because the prat on the pitch gave one and not the other, the sheep in the VAR booth pressed the button “computer says”.

R

reanswolf

Mouts, and Neves were superb in midfield. Neves in fact was outstanding.
All the defence competed admirably, notably Kilman, Marcal and Semedo.
Traore tore them apart, and Trincao showed some lovely patches of play.
I think all in all, it was very encouraging except our finishing, shooting leaves a lot to be desired.

But give them credit where its due, they were very good today.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s no mean feat to have a noticeable improvement in the style of play with pretty much the same outfield 10 we were using last season. If Southampton can manage a point against Man Utd then there’s no reason we can’t get a result next weekend.
What are the odds they will get a pen too?

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I give the whole team an 8+.

They played edge of your seat football which we haven't seen since that dreaded match at Wembley. New system will take time to fully learn and adapt to. I see some great things moving forward!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno did a Nuno on us. Today was like Nuno-era us, with possibly a couple of better players playing for them, vs current work in progress us....

We rapidly need to get out of being unlucky losers. All too often they go down....
The play across most of the pitch is really getting there but the decision making around the box needs to improve. I think confidence plays a big part in that so if/when we start scoring, I think we will tonk a few and likely go on a strong run.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bore off pal

We're Night and Day compared to the last 18 months. We were better than Leicester and Spurs today, we can all see the difference.

Only Liverpool have had more shots in the first two games in the PL so far. It's not clicking yet but we're heading in the right direction.
Just looked at the shot stats, for teams that have played 2 games (so not including West Ham or Leicester), we’ve had more shots than Palace, Southampton and Norwich, combined.

And that’s against 2 of the better sides in the league.

Clear where improvements are needed (sticking the ball in the back of the net) but plenty of positives to be taken so far.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The play across most of the pitch is really getting there but the decision making around the box needs to improve. I think confidence plays a big part in that so if/when we start scoring, I think we will tonk a few and likely go on a strong run.
Hope that you are right.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we do start scoring soon and get some points on the board because it’s very easy to lose confidence and go on a really bad run. Losing two games where you’ve had 40 shots on goal without scoring is not a good start.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We were attacking, we were brave, we created chances and we should have won. Negative bull **** from Nuno used to make my blood boil, but that was anything but negative. Losing whilst trying to win I can live with, doing what we did last year I can’t. I was impressed with how we played, I like Bruno and he needs to be supported. Get your cash out Jeff and get him a defender and midfielder. Do that and we will be a very dangerous team.

As for the players; everyone played well except for Coady (even Saiss and I think he is ****). Traore was the man of the match and if he continues to get a 1 on 1 every game, he will probably finish the season with double figures for goals. I’m looking forward to the next game, not dreading it, and it was good to be back. The fans were superb.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would you share how you thought the game went today
Already have , read my previous posts.

Thoroughly entertained , which win, loose or draw is all I want .

20 plus years of being a season ticket holder , all I want is to be entertained.

You can't win them all, I am convinced it's going to be a fantastic season

crash2772

Reaction score
We’ve just completely dominated a top 6 side in the middle of the park for the whole game and you give both Neves and moutinho a 6???
glad you never marked my exam papers at school!

6 is average right? I’ll stand by my original assessment that they were average. It’s a team game. We played well but we lost. I cant see giving every player a glowing review on the back of a loss.

On the attack they were both solid, but for the most part they just had to cycle to the wings where most of our attack came from.

Neither regularly got into the attacking area. With Raul up top alone, and the attack coming down the wing, I’d like to see them be an option. The one time I recall moutinho getting into the area, he laid back to Jimenez wonderfully. More of that please.

Defensively, Spurs sat back and tried to counter down the wing. Neves and Mouts weren’t often under pressure to make a defensive stop in the center of the park. Neither won aerial duels. Both were bypassed easily when pulled out wide. The only midfielder attacking them was Alli, and he flopped under minimum pressure nearly every time.

If Traore scores the 1v1 and we turn our possession into a win, they would rightfully earn more praise.

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great to see a full Molineux again. Can't blame the penalty for the loss, the game was in our hands,should have put the ball in the net. Many positives today though , Semedo was excellent, but needs improving final ball. Trincao is a quality player, just needs time to adjust .
Some 3 players short for Bruno's final 11 i think.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like to see us win obviously, but I go to the football as an escape. I like to be entertained, and bloody hell we are entertaining at the minute!

Adama is just absolutely box office. He may not be able to take chances consistently but if he did he wouldn’t play for us because the guy is incredible. Love watching him play.

If we get a goal scoring midfielder alongside Neves (instead of bringing Donk on to change the game!!!), and a decent CB then we’ll be a force to be reckoned with this year.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Rarely walk away from a defeat feeling positive, but did today. We didn't take our chances, but then Spurs didn't score from open play either. Was worried we may be leaky at the back, but so far so good. Just need our front line to find that last ball, better cross, better shot, or better header and it will come..

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A game we shouldn't really have lost. I feel more positive than last season though, that if we buy well we should finish higher than last season.
I can see that things we are obviously working on in the training videos are paying dividends, ie pressing higher up the pitch and Sa releasing the ball quickly to our forwards. I also think we are passing the ball better when under pressure, and getting it forward quicker without the endless passing sideways.
The one area I see no improvement is in our shooting. Traore is lightning quick and almost impossible to disposess. Yet he never attempts to round the keeper. It's not a dig at Adama as he was our biggest threat yet again. I just wonder if his training should be directed a little more towards an obvious strength.
After his one on one with Lloris it was great to hear the fans singing his name.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 is average right? I’ll stand by my original assessment that they were average. It’s a team game. We played well but we lost. I cant see giving every player a glowing review on the back of a loss.

On the attack they were both solid, but for the most part they just had to cycle to the wings where most of our attack came from.

Neither regularly got into the attacking area. With Raul up top alone, and the attack coming down the wing, I’d like to see them be an option. The one time I recall moutinho getting into the area, he laid back to Jimenez wonderfully. More of that please.

Defensively, Spurs sat back and tried to counter down the wing. Neves and Mouts weren’t often under pressure to make a defensive stop in the center of the park. Neither won aerial duels. Both were bypassed easily when pulled out wide. The only midfielder attacking them was Alli, and he flopped under minimum pressure nearly every time.

If Traore scores the 1v1 and we turn our possession into a win, they would rightfully earn more praise.
So you're judging Neves and Moutinho on the fact Jiminez and Traore missed good chances? Right...

crash2772

Reaction score
So you're judging Neves and Moutinho on the fact Jiminez and Traore missed good chances? Right...
…. And they didn’t stand out in any other way.

How is it controversial that I think our midfield was average. In a game we lost 1-0, at home, to an opponent very much for the taking.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carry on as we are and the goals will come. Chances are being created we just need to start taking them. And that will happen. For the second week running Wolves were the better team. We will be fine.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today's stand out performances for me:

Moutinho - His best performance since pre lockdown. Great to see him back. Shame about shooting over the bar in 2nd half.
Neves - his best performance for a long time. His shooting is still a bit off but he really made us tick when we pushed on.
Marcal - Probably his best ever performance in a Wolves shirt - I'm just hoping we can keep him fit.
Kilman - A very, very good performance again today. I had kind of written Kilman off as not being good enough for the prem but the last 2 games have put some doubt in my mind and I think he deserves more time to prove himself.

Honourable mentions:

Adama - excellent in the first half and always carried a threat though faded late on. Lloris deserves credit for stopping his one on one.
Trincao - I was impressed and I think he will be an asset to the squad. He needs a bit of time to acclimatise but he could be a gem.

Last edited:

Wolf In Essex

Reaction score
Just walked through the door.
Thought we played really well today and should have taken something from the game, we need to hit the back if the net soon. If we do start hitting the back of the net, I can see us handing put a few spanking this season.

Kilman was excellent and barring his shooting so was Adama, they couldn't handle him.

Trincao has got something about him, but he just seems to lightweight, thought he was the weakest player for us today.
Some great passing and build up play, just shame about the finishing.

I am a happy clapper and am very happy with what Lage has got our team doing, feeling very positive.

Last edited:

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have been very nervous before about Trincao thinking he may even be less effective than Costa but actually thought he did pretty well and is showing a trend of continually improving.
The one that really concerned me was Raul as thought he was well below his best and just hope what he's been through doesn't impede him from getting back to his best.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a bit less concerned about how we will go this season than I was, but I agree we lack a killer instinct. We are entertaining and play good stuff, but we don't ever look that threatening where it matters.

In some ways at the moment what Adama is doing is what Wolves are doing, playing well with no end product. Worries me a bit the amount of people using the old " we will be fine when it clicks " saying. What if it doesn't. We aren't playing poorly, but we still look toothless in front of goal.

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mouts, and Neves were superb in midfield. Neves in fact was outstanding.
All the defence competed admirably, notably Kilman, Marcal and Semedo.
Traore tore them apart, and Trincao showed some lovely patches of play.
I think all in all, it was very encouraging except our finishing, shooting leaves a lot to be desired.

But give them credit where its due, they were very good today.
Only saw one bit of good play from Trincao all game, first half when he beat a player in the box and put in a decent cross.
Other than that I have seen little to get excited about him since his arrival
Swap him for Neto today and I think we would have won
Praying he turns it around in the coming weeks

Back
Top Bottom