Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs (H) Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 5276
  • Start date

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good performance. He was unlucky for the penalty, if a little naive, but Sa looks a quality keeper.

Kilman outstanding again. Safe as houses and good on the ball.
Coady looked much better and like his old self.
Saiss was ok but still makes me uncomfortable.

Semedo is a quality player but offers very little going forward.
Marcal is a safer Semedo but offers even less going forward.

Neves was fantastic apart from the stray, blind pass that cost us the penalty.
Moutinho was great on the ball and had a quality game but would still rather somebody more mobile.

Trincao is improving all the time and just needs to learn the pace of the league before he becomes class.
Traore was fantastic but, again, cost us points with the miss. I feel like it’s impossible to judge him the same as everybody else because the chances that he misses tend to be ones that only he would get on the end of.
Raul was ok. Good link up play but I’m very slightly concerned that he might not return to the player pre-injury. It’s completely understandable and might take some time but I didn’t feel that he was a goal threat at all today or last weekend.

All in all I’m happy with the performance and am sure the results and goals will come if we keep playing like we have (maybe not against Utd).

If I’m Jeff watching in the stands I’m thinking that the team/squad is only a few signings away from challenging 7th again. I’d be more inclined to put my hand in my pocket and make signings after watching that rather than if we got outclassed. A big week in the market and we can really kick on massively.

hollow101

Reaction score
What a fantastic performance.

ok, yes we lost, BUT we all have to look at the positives here and against Leicester, once it clicks we are going to do well. Always thought it would take some time, we were never going to win the league this year so not concerned we have nil
Points so far, points will come and the league table only matters after 38 games not two.

let’s all stay positive, appreciate the good football on show and enjoy the ride, I really feel we will be fine in the league and I have a sneaky feeling we could grab some long over due silverware in a cup competition and kick in next season.

let’s have faith and stick together, yes points are important but progress and performances are surely more important for us at this point, when we are challenging Liverpool and Man City for the league then points are AS WELL but will take time to get there, let’s enjoy the ride until then

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really pleased with the performance but gutted at the 0 points again!
If we could score we'd be unbelievable. Not convinced Raul is anywhere near fully ready yet, though obviously match fitness & sharpness only comes with matches.
Get the remainder of this transfer window right and I think we're in for a hell of a season, get it wrong however and I'll be slightly worried.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After calming down from the BS penalty decision I am kind of happy. Losing is never good but we played good, exciting football with more possession too. I’m sure if you asked Nuno for an example of what he wanted to try and implement last season today’s display would have been near perfect. We’ve lost to a very debatable penalty and taken the game to a top side. Yes we need to finish and get better balls into the box but for now at least I’m happy that Bruno appears to know what he is doing and a clear idea is emerging. With a few additions and some goals we’ll be OK.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another good performance,step up from last week
If we keep up the improvements we will be fine
Obviously we need a cutting edge
I wont say too much on another Traore miss,he was brilliant in the first half as were most of the team
Had plenty of chances to win the game let alone save it,thats 2 games where we played well and lost,i cant remember that many in the last season and a half,so theres room for optimism even if defeat is hard to take
We have performed much better than i expected so far,and a big shout for Kilman has looked superb so far

T

TheConcourse

Glorious defeat.

Go compare that level of performance to the last season and a half. It’s night and day.

Can’t be ***** to score each individual player, but one more attacking option on the pitch and we win that game comfortably. Same as Leicester.

Please please please invest in a quality CB.

PertonWolf

Reaction score
Still don't know how we have come away empty handed.

Great attacking football, get on training pitch for finishing practice and I'm sure someone is in for a spanking.

Bruno Lage, loving the attacking football... Please let it continue.

Also, a word on Marcal. If we can keep him fit he will be very valuable to us. He was immense today. And Kilman looks a natural at the back too.

crash2772

Reaction score
Much more entertaining despite the result. Sharper attacking play from Jimenez and Trincão and we win. Traore has created more than his share, but has also cost us 2 points so far this season.

Sa - I’m not sure there’s much he could do on the penalty sequence. Otherwise very solid - 6.5

Kilman - Best CB today - 7

Coady - Ok - beaten a few times, misjudged a few. -6

Saiss - Unremarkable which is fine for a defender in his role- 6.5

Semedo - Got behind several times, created the width for Trinçao. Solid defensively. Poor final ball. - 6.5

Marcal - Excellent defensively and supporting Traore. Sub-par going forward. - 7

Moutinho - as usual he was great maintaining possession, but if isolated 1 v 1 defensively he’s overrun. - 6

Neves - wasteful in front of goal, caught in possession too often, and gave away the ball that allowed Spurs to counter for the pen. Then he gives a peach of a ball to Traore that should have tied the score. On the balance it probably averages out. - 6

Trincão- not dangerous at all, so for a right wing that’s below par - 5.5

Raul - So glad to have him back. Positive play overall but lacked the precision required. - 6

Traore - unplayable in the first half. Still our most dangerous player in the 2nd. Obviously should have done better on the chance from Neves. Without his threat to get behind, we don't get to pin them back the same (and probably lose by more). -

Subs :

Dendoncker - was an improvement on a tired Moutinho.

Ait-Nouri - instant upgrade in attacking ability up the left. Can he defend like Marcal did and cover for Adama?

Silva - not really involved but did get his chance on target

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What is worrying me is that we tired a bit 70mins in the second game of the season. Glad we've got midfield depth ready for the next 36........

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We just got Nuno'd today but be thankful we only have to watch that once more this season. One or two goals, the confidence will surge and we will be a match for anyone.

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lovely football to watch.
Everyone needs their shooting boots on because the 59% possession and 31 shots on goal against Spurs will yield results against poorer teams than Spurs.
Adama was sensational.
Kilman was great.
Semedo improved our threat although a little wasteful.
Raul lacking a bit of sharpness but some threat and good old transitional play
Trincao was tricky and seemed to grow into the game but not yet influential.
Moutinho and Neves were both excellent and ran the game.
Sa didn't do much wrong
Marcal was solid but less threat than Semedo
Saiss was generally solid
Coady was back to his usual standards
Bodies were in the box to get on the end of shots and that filled with hope (unlike last season where balls fizzed across goal with nobody there in position).
Dendoncker did what dendoncker does fairly well.
Rayan looked great as a sub
Silva keeps improving and is well worth a sub appearance

I am optimistic about the season ahead but we need some results from the next run of games.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is worrying me is that we tired a bit 70mins in the second game of the season. Glad we've got midfield depth ready for the next 36........
I don’t think any team gets 100% match fit until 3/4 games in. We need some genuine alternatives on the bench to keep momentum.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah.
We were better than Spurs.
We were better than Leicester.
No doubt we'll be better than Man Utd.
But we haven't got a bleddy clue how to score goals.
They will come.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can we play any of these guys on Tuesday?
I’d keep the defence and probably Sa (Ruddy will start though). But I’d look to Hoever and RAN for wing backs. Midfield is play Donk and MGW then mix it up in the front 3.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
frustrating at not having scored again. Was worried that a more attacking set up might leave us exposed at the back, but that's not happened really so far. Competed well against to sides who will probably finish top 6 or higher. Quality of crossing, and shooting a bit of a worry, lots of shots and chances, less on target. More composure and clinical finishing needed, but that's hopefully an easier problem to solve than if we weren't creating the chances in the first place. Raul should sharpen up with a few more games, we have Neto and Podence to come back in who will add a bit more quality to supply and finishing hopefully. Traore just a bit more composure, if his speed of thought matched his running speed we'd have a world beater. Hopefully will see a bit more from Silva as time goes on.

Would like us to play a few of the first team front players at least against Forest in the week to get some more shooting practice. Another tough game next weekend, then a run of games where we need to start picking up points.
Too early to overly worry about the lack of goals yet but still abit of a concern

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good performance can't knock the lads although again Traore has missed a gilt edge chance. Good atmosphere didn't hear much moaning around us everyone seemed very encouraged about us going forward.

Kilman was fantastic as was Semedo and Traore was immense he just needs that bit of composure in the final third

Before everyone one is fit we could definitely do with a bit of help.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Feeling deflated. Yes we looked better in general to last season but the old frailties are still there. Struggle with any route but the traore route. Looks very static in the final third. Don’t look like scoring. I know 2 goals combined against Leicester and Spurs is ok. But can’t help feel a bit disappointed.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just got Nuno'd today but be thankful we only have to watch that once more this season. One or two goals, the confidence will surge and we will be a match for anyone.
I am waiting to hear Nuno in his after match comment saying that we were a good side. I got fed up with him saying this about every side we played last season so that would complete the set.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) Raul - first half 26 mins just over the bar. 2) Traore - 1 v 1 - second half.

Then we had 4 other shots on target and numerous other half chances. Stats say 25 shots and 6 on target. Wish Stevie Wonder a happy day will ya?
TBF, Spurs also had 6 shots on target and I would argue ultimately shaded it in terms of clear-cut chances. Sa with four very good saves, with Lloris just the one. Good performance with lots to be encouraged by, but let's take off the gold-tinted specs. Two games, two opposition goalies who we haven't really worked other than Traore making it too easy for Lloris with a poor finish.

We look good in 3/5 zones of the pitch. The problem area is concentration on occasion at the back and poor delivery into the penalty area.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d keep the defence and probably Sa (Ruddy will start though). But I’d look to Hoever and RAN for wing backs. Midfield is play Donk and MGW then mix it up in the front 3.
I would certainly play our back up striking force.................................oh hang on a mo. Has anyone seen them?:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Ned

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really pleased with the performance but gutted at the 0 points again!
If we could score we'd be unbelievable. Not convinced Raul is anywhere near fully ready yet, though obviously match fitness & sharpness only comes with matches.
Get the remainder of this transfer window right and I think we're in for a hell of a season, get it wrong however and I'll be slightly worried.

Agree of Raul. Ideally, we should be playing our second striker and bringing Raul off the bench at 60 - 70 minutes for a few weeks, to ease him back in against tired defences. The problem is that we don't have a second striker at this level.

Somebody who can score actual goals must be priority #1. We have enough "solid" midfielders and "solid" defenders already. It seems we have enough creativity in the team, too. It is that knack of smashing the ball into the net that we are lacking.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feeling deflated. Yes we looked better in general to last season but the old frailties are still there. Struggle with any route but the traore route. Looks very static in the final third. Don’t look like scoring. I know 2 goals combined against Leicester and Spurs is ok. But can’t help feel a bit disappointed.

I watched the second half of Palace v Brentford yesterday (checking up on our rivals!) . It was abysmal, like Championship football. We are way ahead of either of them, as we are several other teams in this league. Just have to hold our nerve, realise it is all about performances at this stage and we are performing very well overall.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest question - where are the goals going to come from? For all the lovely football we played, we never looked like scoring. I'm impressed with the way Bruno has us playing but he needs backing in the market, otherwise there's a long season ahead as this squad just isn't good enough.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah.
We were better than Spurs.
We were better than Leicester.
No doubt we'll be better than Man Utd.
But we haven't got a bleddy clue how to score goals.

If we had been given a dicey penalty, I am sure we would have scored too.

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Apart from the result absolutely fantastic today.

As always there will always be Wolves fans that moan
Fantastic performance - definitely glass half full for me.

Highlights

Sa - apart from the penalty looked class. Great shot stopping and the quick distribution which we lost with Rui

Kilman - he looks so calm & comfortable and reads the game well - he brings the ball out with confidence which i really like and linked up well with Neves today

Marcel - best performance in a Wolves shirt, was everywhere and looked well up for it. Keep him fit and I think he will become a fan favourite

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played well but never really tested Loris. Trincao looks a bit lost

Back
Top Bottom