Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs (H) Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 5276
  • Start date

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He cost us the game
I thought that was moutinho who I thought was caught a few times by the pace of the game. Shows what I know because it was neves!

Neves was excellent overall tho. Don't quite understand your report. We were great today except where it mattered.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good performance, but I do not share the collective optimism.

Football is about winning games. I do not feel we have that killer instinct.

Until we do, we are going to continue to struggle to score. 42 shots 0 goals tells its own story.

I realise I'm too negative, but I can never feel anything else when we lose. I understand the 'oh these are tough games' thought process but the problem with losing games to Leicester and Spurs (irrespective of the fact that we outplayed them) is that it places huge emphasis on the more winnable games. If we don't win them, things start to go south very very fast.

A word on Spurs. They were absolutely dire.

Dele Ali is a cheat too
I'll join you and the others echoing this sentiment. Whilst the cavalier football was as good as anything I've seen from a Wolves team in recent years, we had over 20 efforts on goal but rarely ever looked like scoring other than Traore's chance, and arguably the Moutinho effort in the second half. Even Trincao's chance wasn't clear cut.

If we are going to play this way and pick up points, we will need to be far more ruthless. As Perton pointed out, with Raul still getting back match sharpness, Neto's setback, and only Fabio as an alternative, where the goals are coming from is now arguably as pertinent a question as e who's going to stop them.

Anyway, on to the verdict.

Firstly, great reception for Nuno, for Bruno and for the team. The fans got the balance spot on, showing respect whilst embracing a return to competitive football at Molineux.

The high line and roaming wide forwards stifled Spurs of virtually any possession of note in the first half, and a number of fine individual performances, and the sight of a team that attacked and defended, ermmm, as a team, suggested we aren't quite as far away as our points, or ingrained pessimism, would suggest. We still look susceptible defensively, and rarely look like scoring - despite over 20 attempts on goal there were very few clear cut opportunities with poor decision making, a lack of confidence resulting in snatching at chances, and the absence of a ruthless streak that this system needs, because playing at such a high octane as we saw today will exhaust the players both mentally and physically. Hopefully Bruno will get the reinforcements he needs to build on today's excellent, but ultimately unrewarding display - we certainly need it, as the relentless pressing will take its toll.

Sa - 6.5
Despite conceding the penalty, it would be hard on Sa to blame him for it, especially as Neves' shocking pass left us completely exposed. The players are clearly under instruction to keep the ball in play as much as possible and Sa epitomised this, always looking to create an attacking opportunity, and almost picking up an assist. Made a couple of instinctive saves, but also looked a little wobbly at times and will need some bedding in before we see the best of him.

Kilman - 7
Best defender in a Wolves shirt again today. Saved Coady, whose lack of pace was exposed, and almost punished by Son as we chased the game, and brought the ball out of defence confidently and intelligently. I think he might just thrive under Bruno after all.

Coady - 6
Found his trademark raking balls in the second half, but the high line is not going to suit Coady with his lack of pace, especially on the half turn, painfully evident.

Saiss - 6
Did little wrong, but always seemed to be somewhere else when Tottenham occasionally went forward. A threat from set pieces as always.

Marcal - 7
Another solid appearance despite being on the end of some heavy handed defending from Spurs, including a shocking tackle that arguably warranted a red card. Supported Traore well in the first half, but deliveries were, like Semedo, disappointing. Defensively sound and made a valuable interception when moved to centre back when Saiss went off.

Semedo - 6.5
A step up from Hoever, and is starting to justify his price tag. Overlapped Trincao and Traore, although unfortunately a lot of his more intelligent forward runs were either not seen, or his deliveries a little wasteful, but he wasn't alone there.

Moutinho - 7
Not quite vintage Moutinho today, but much more like the one that wears red. Positioning was excellent, but Dendoncker did give us fresh legs when he came on and this does suggest that despite the dominant display, relying on Neves and Moutinho for the season is something we can ill afford to do.

Neves - 7.5
Mixed bag from Ruben today. Some flashes of the Neves that dominated the championship with great vision, energy and some crucial interceptions that triggered dangerous counters, but was at fault for the goal and his shooting boots are still AWOL from the first day of our first season in the Premier League. Definitely growing in stature under Bruno.

Traore - 8.5
Unplayable in the first half, but his confidence in front of goal is worrying. Forwards need that boost from the ball hitting the net, and every game where he makes the wrong decision, which he did today, will play on his mind more and more until he gets a break. Frightened the life out of Spurs - losing him would be a disaster.

Trincao - 6
An improvement from Leicester, but after a lively first 20 minutes, struggled to impose himself consistently. There were flashes of what he's capable of throughout, and hopefully this improvement continue. Seems an odd thing to say, but his languid style makes him look very little like an archetypal Bruno player, often slowing down the game.

Raul - 6
Still clearly feeling his way into football again. One classic piece of Raul skill to find an opening in the box, which Dier defended well, gave us a reminder of what he's capable of. He needs to be given time to get his confidence back, but we also need goals - lots of possession in the final third today and another option, other than Fabio, would strengthen Bruno's hand and take some of the pressure off Raul.

Subs :

Ait-Nouri - 7
Exciting cameo with some tricky footwork, giving us an attacking edge we didn't have with Marcal tiring.

Dendoncker - 6
Offered fresh legs when we inevitably started to tire

Fabio - 6
One header from a corner, but little chance to impress with Spurs getting the ball to the corner flag for about 80% of the time he was on the field

Overall, feeling more positive than the Leicester game, but we need to pick up points fast to prevent negative momentum engulfing us.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I liked was Bruno encouraging the fans during a rendition of barmy army, he wants that atmosphere. Encouraging performance today and enjoyed the more energetic display from the team compared to the lethargy of some of last season. Keep at it and the goals will come.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Already have , read my previous posts.

Thoroughly entertained , which win, loose or draw is all I want .

20 plus years of being a season ticket holder , all I want is to be entertained.

You can't win them all, I am convinced it's going to be a fantastic season
I hope you have a great season, I've supported the club since the 50s and love to be able to watch our team compete at the higher levels of the premiership. Having said that I have enjoyed our club competing through every league over the years. Unfortunately due to health I can no longer get to Molineux to enjoy the atmosphere and join in with the friends I've made over the years.

Last edited:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll join you and the others echoing this sentiment. Whilst the cavalier football was as good as anything I've seen from a Wolves team in recent years, we had over 20 efforts on goal but rarely ever looked like scoring other than Traore's chance, and arguably the Moutinho effort in the second half. Even Trincao's chance wasn't clear cut.

If we are going to play this way and pick up points, we will need to be far more ruthless. As Perton pointed out, with Raul still getting back match sharpness, Neto's setback, and only Fabio as an alternative, where the goals are coming from is now arguably as pertinent a question as e who's going to stop them.

Anyway, on to the verdict.

Firstly, great reception for Nuno, for Bruno and for the team. The fans got the balance spot on, showing respect whilst embracing a return to competitive football at Molineux.

The high line and roaming wide forwards stifled Spurs of virtually any possession of note in the first half, and a number of fine individual performances, and the sight of a team that attacked and defended, ermmm, as a team, suggested we aren't quite as far away as our points, or ingrained pessimism, would suggest. We still look susceptible defensively, and rarely look like scoring - despite over 20 attempts on goal there were very few clear cut opportunities with poor decision making, a lack of confidence resulting in snatching at chances, and the absence of a ruthless streak that this system needs, because playing at such a high octane as we saw today will exhaust the players both mentally and physically. Hopefully Bruno will get the reinforcements he needs to build on today's excellent, but ultimately unrewarding display - we certainly need it, as the relentless pressing will take its toll.

Sa - 6.5
Despite conceding the penalty, it would be hard on Sa to blame him for it, especially as Neves' shocking pass left us completely exposed. The players are clearly under instruction to keep the ball in play as much as possible and Sa epitomised this, always looking to create an attacking opportunity, and almost picking up an assist. Made a couple of instinctive saves, but also looked a little wobbly at times and will need some bedding in before we see the best of him.

Kilman - 7
Best defender in a Wolves shirt again today. Saved Coady, whose lack of pace was exposed, and almost punished by Son as we chased the game, and brought the ball out of defence confidently and intelligently. I think he might just thrive under Bruno after all.

Coady - 6
Found his trademark raking balls in the second half, but the high line is not going to suit Coady with his lack of pace, especially on the half turn, painfully evident.

Saiss - 6
Did little wrong, but always seemed to be somewhere else when Tottenham occasionally went forward. A threat from set pieces as always.

Marcal - 7
Another solid appearance despite being on the end of some heavy handed defending from Spurs, including a shocking tackle that arguably warranted a red card. Supported Traore well in the first half, but deliveries were, like Semedo, disappointing. Defensively sound and made a valuable interception when moved to centre back when Saiss went off.

Semedo - 6.5
A step up from Hoever, and is starting to justify his price tag. Overlapped Trincao and Traore, although unfortunately a lot of his more intelligent forward runs were either not seen, or his deliveries a little wasteful, but he wasn't alone there.

Moutinho - 7
Not quite vintage Moutinho today, but much more like the one that wears red. Positioning was excellent, but Dendoncker did give us fresh legs when he came on and this does suggest that despite the dominant display, relying on Neves and Moutinho for the season is something we can ill afford to do.

Neves - 7.5
Mixed bag from Ruben today. Some flashes of the Neves that dominated the championship with great vision, energy and some crucial interceptions that triggered dangerous counters, but was at fault for the goal and his shooting boots are still AWOL from the first day of our first season in the Premier League. Definitely growing in stature under Bruno.

Traore - 8.5
Unplayable in the first half, but his confidence in front of goal is worrying. Forwards need that boost from the ball hitting the net, and every game where he makes the wrong decision, which he did today, will play on his mind more and more until he gets a break. Frightened the life out of Spurs - losing him would be a disaster.

Trincao - 6
An improvement from Leicester, but after a lively first 20 minutes, struggled to impose himself consistently. There were flashes of what he's capable of throughout, and hopefully this improvement continue. Seems an odd thing to say, but his languid style makes him look very little like an archetypal Bruno player, often slowing down the game.

Raul - 6
Still clearly feeling his way into football again. One classic piece of Raul skill to find an opening in the box, which Dier defended well, gave us a reminder of what he's capable of. He needs to be given time to get his confidence back, but we also need goals - lots of possession in the final third today and another option, other than Fabio, would strengthen Bruno's hand and take some of the pressure off Raul.

Subs :

Ait-Nouri - 7
Exciting cameo with some tricky footwork, giving us an attacking edge we didn't have with Marcal tiring.

Dendoncker - 6
Offered fresh legs when we inevitably started to tire

Fabio - 6
One header from a corner, but little chance to impress with Spurs getting the ball to the corner flag for about 80% of the time he was on the field

Overall, feeling more positive than the Leicester game, but we need to pick up points fast to prevent negative momentum engulfing us.
Blimey, you are a hard marker. I thought all our players were much better than that. Did you not get the memo that since lockdown the rule is to give A* to people these days.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Garth Crooks has Dele Alli in his team of the week.

Can’t really add much to that.

Alli made Greedish look vertical today, he was falling over more than a ****ed up tramp on ice

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok first of all I am really warming to Bruno Lage in his intelligent responses in interviews and in the great job he has done in such a short time to give us a far more attacking front foot approach. I really wish him well and will defend him if we lose vs Man Ure and everyone points to nil points and three consecutive losses.

The fact is he is without Boly, Podence, Neto, Jonny and Mosquera. So far he has received little support from Shi in terms of strengthening his options. Yet from where I am looking the players are clearly more than up for it under his leadership. We were better than Leicester and far better than Spurs. BUT a lack of a cutting edge in front of goal is costing us dearly. Against Celta Vigo it was the same story and yet another 0-1 defeat. Its all about small margins at this level and at the moment we can't put the ball in the onion bag. If that continues confidence will be drained and we could be in for a very tough season. Shi has got to make sure we keep Neves and Traore for starters. A sale at this point would be devastating and dangerous. I don't believe any club is going to offer a sum that would justify such a move. Both those players are £50m plus players based on current happenings in the market. But even if we were offered £50m plus if the result of taking the money and filling in with inferior players was relegation that would be a huge error.

Fosun shouldn't have taken this project on and appointed this manager if they are not going to support him properly. We need an absolute minimum of three new quality additions in the next 7-9 days. The time for' being interested in' player x, y and z is over. I believe Lage, given the right tools, will do a great job for us this season.

Re the match:

Kilman is going to be an England player if he keeps evolving. Stick with him.
Ait Nouri imv is in a similar category and needs more game time. Appreciate that Marcal had a good match and is a very solid defender. But he is 32. He is not the future.
Neves is class. Give him a bloody partner in central midfield who is worthy of the name. Mouts is a good back up , as is Leander but we need a first choice attacking midfielder who is a creator and goal threat. How many times does it need saying....and yet for now nothing.
I like Sa - suits the attacking style.
That new striker is SO badly needed. Of course Raul will take time to get into it again. Silva will slowly improve. But we need someone for now who knows how to score goals and take the pressure off Raul and ideally work by his side in a 442.
We so badly miss Jota. Seeing him in Liverpool colours still hurts. With him in our team we might have had six points now not zero.
Trincao needs time. He has some great touches but for now is rather peripheral. He will bulk up in time and play a greater role as he steps up to the pace and physical requirements of the Premier League.. Patience.
Love Coady but I think he is always going to be vulnerable against pace. To get to the next level we need to replace him imv and have him on the bench. Will take quite a player to replace him. Boly and Kilman are fine in my book as long as injuries don't continue for the former. Perhaps Mosquera can be the third CB ultimately. Kilman in the Coady role longer term? Saiss is a great squad player and Dendoncker too can fill in when needed.

So will we strengthen significantly or not? If we don't and we lose badly against United we face an uphill battle and pressure to win the 'easy' games after the international break. With injuries, suspensions players being off form we must deepen the squad. Jeff you have to put money where your mouth is. Nothing crazy but good investments that meet the need and encourage the manager and the players that we are playing for more than 14th place this seaon.
There's no way jeff will buy a striker having spunked for Silva

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woeful with the final ball/ pass/ shot/ cross. Worst it’s looked for years.

However, the build up play and overall tempo was excellent.

A big week needed in the transfer market, we need at least 2 first team ready signings (I remain doubtful we’ll see them), and we simply must keep Neves and Traore or we are in big trouble.

Coady looked worryingly slow and somewhat off the pace, I think this is because it’s more of a flat three rather than him sitting deeper. Either way he needs to get back to it.

Traore brilliant and terrible in equal measure. He does look like he’s close to being back to his peak 2019/20 form though if he can just stick one away or set one up to get him up and running.

Neves clear MOTM in my opinion, I sincerely hope that’s not the last time I’ve seen him in a Wolves shirt.

Biggest disappointment was Trincao for me. Too often slowed play or cut back inside and just generally didn’t look ready for PL football.

I have been vocally pessimistic about how we’ll do this season on the mix, so I will own up and say I was more impressed with Lage's Wolves than I thought I would be.

A long way to go to being the finished article, and despite all our brilliant play I feel we could still be playing now and not have scored. It’s all well and good being gung-ho, but there’s literally no point in playing this way if you can’t score.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, you are a hard marker. I thought all our players were much better than that. Did you not get the memo that since lockdown the rule is to give A* to people these days.
Yeah probably a shade harsh on a few. The scores maybe don't reflect the sentiment - we played really well. I'd better keep the memo pinned up on the toilet wall next time :D

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I liked was Bruno encouraging the fans during a rendition of barmy army, he wants that atmosphere. Encouraging performance today and enjoyed the more energetic display from the team compared to the lethargy of some of last season. Keep at it and the goals will come.
You will have no doubt also noticed Raul running behind the goal and giving Loris the ball after missing, and Moutinho sprinting off when substituted. There is definitely an urgency and intensity about us in everything we're doing, whether that's sustainable we will have to wait and see

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you need a win to avoid relegation or keep the title challenge on, playing well is always better than playing badly. It's only 2 matches in, we aren't desperate for points and several teams are already beneath us. The significant difference is that we are playing well, they are playing badly. We won't be in trouble as long as Norwich keep being Norwichy and Brentford, Palace, Newcastle, Burnley and even Arsenal continue playing the dirge they have served up so far. And we continue playing as we have.
Agree apart from that’s very harsh on Brentford.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall positive. A few things to sort:

1) Players in box - still only Raul for crosses (occasionally Semedo).
2) Attacking down both sides - RAN?
3) Defensive speed with high line - 4 or 5 and challenges if both Kilman and Semedo are upfield (as we saw in 2nd half when Neves and Coady were outpaced by Bergwijn).

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PS - is it me or did Dele AllI jump into Sa to win the penalty. Watching the Sky Sports clips it certainly looks like that with both feet off the ground, Spurs fans were mixed in their views on their forums about it being a penalty….

Pizzapants

Reaction score
PS - is it me or did Dele AllI jump into Sa to win the penalty. Watching the Sky Sports clips it certainly looks like that with both feet off the ground, Spurs fans were mixed in their views on their forums about it being a penalty….

Yes, he absolutely did. He had lost the ball and dragged his leg into Sa. On the live feed, the announcers did not think it should have been a penalty.

el gringo

Reaction score

I watched the replay of it a few times and Alli did leave the ground before there was any contact from Sa, and whilst jumping he did direct himself at Sa. That was a trick penalty, and the VAR refs should have seen that. So no, not just you.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today again showed every man and his dog what we are lacking , it’s not rocket science
Yes we played well. Yes we deserved something out of the game. Yes there is more attacking intent and I am a bit more confident after watching that
But , Traore and his decision making were appalling. Neves at times looked lost and WTF was that pass they cost us their goal ? Trincao , best game by a country mile so far but he lacks that “ yard of pace “
Marcal , awesome game and my MOTM
Jiminez , I’m concerned , don’t know why , but I am
Finally a word for the referee. ****ER !!! Allowed Spurs to timewaste from the first minute but only did something about it in the 92st . That pathetic passage that saw Spurs have a corner and Son take 2 minutes to take it , they scored , was nearly 3 minutes before game restarted. And every single time their keeper had the ball it was to waste time
Joke of a ref , but ultimately , and again , we only have ourselves to blame
Two games , no goals , no points and the alarm bells will be ringing if we get nothing from first 4 games
FOSUN ****ing sort this **** out. We’ve all seen today just how close we are to being a top half side
Just ****ing sort it out and stop ****ing faffing about.
Great to see you said a few nice and positive things about Wolves and the game in your post.
You seldom do.

Last edited:

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall a big improvement over last season, and I can't see Nuno lasting at Spurs if that's what they have to look forward to.

You have to take your chances in this league. And despite the number of shots most were blocked or comfortable saves.

Attwell his usual weak self, let them get away with loads of fouls without booking. We do that on Son or Kane and they're yellows. Allowed Lloris to waste half the game, tapped his watch and added a pathetic amount of time. Know why teams waste time? Because it works!

Ali went looking for the penalty but was silly of Sa. We should have had one at the other end, and looking at the replay amazed it wasn't. Well I should be amazed anyway.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Lots of high-tempo movement, energy and desire but the big flaw of last season is still not addressed. When we get the ball in good forward positions, we dont seem to have any options in the box. Many times we have to play the ball back or sideways because we dont have runners flooding the box. When the ball did go in, the Spuds defenders, having overloaded their defence, invariably got to the ball first.
We are lacking that dynamic box to box player running in from mid-field. Neves, Mouts and and Dendonker dont seem to be able to do this.
Gibbs White, whilst not a box to box mid-fielder, would have been a good option yesterday with Spuds sitting in so deep. His nippiness and ability to operate in the final third may have allowed him to nip in between their defenders and nick a goal.
Also, the way we are playing can be predicable. Good as it is on the eye, the opposition can sit deep, weather the storm and wait for their chances. As Spuds did. There were times when we needed more patience to draw out their players before playing the through ball to a runner. It did happen on a couple of occasions but it was more of a transition from defense, such as when Neves fed Adama, than by planning. Perhaps its because we dont have a physically dominating mid-field that we cant do this at the moment.
Sa, apart from the penalty, played well and much more proactive than Rui.
Semedo, tried but did waste a lot of the ball when he had it. Not much defending to do and should have done better with the ball in the final third. Maybe not 100% up to speed yet.
Coady had an ok game and made some crucial blocks and nice long passes, but with his obvious lack of speed, he may need to play a little further forward in future as a mid-field anchor/playmaker if he is to retain his place in the side.
Kilman was excellent in most of what he did. Comfortable on the ball and not afraid to carry it. Made some vital blocks too. If he was better at heading and more physical, would be even better. When he goes forward, seems to lack that bit of conviction.
Sais had a solid game. But his distribution could be better.
Marcal was strong and aggressive. Great defender with good passing but his forward play is limited as was evident with some poor crosses.
Neves is involved a lot more under Bruno. He bossed the mid-field and played with more attacking intent. Some nice tackling and passing too. But he needs his shooting boots from a few seasons ago.
Moutinho recycled the ball well as is his forte.
Trincao, whilst generally ok with his passing, does need to develop more physically. He doesnt have the strength to barge his way past players - which you need as a winger in the PL. He is also very left-footed which stopped his momentum on a few occasion when he would turn to get the ball on to his left foot. Would he be better if he played on the left?
Adama - our best player in the first half. Most of the chances were created by him. He ran the Spuds defense ragged. He is a vital player for us. If we lost him, we would be even more impotent than we are. A unique player that we are lucky to have as he showed yesterday.
Raul is not up to speed yet. Will he ever get back to the best of the previous season? Hope so as so much relies on him, but wasnt at his dynamic best yesterday. Got to start firing soon.
Dendonker - tidy but needs to play with more conviction.
Ait Nouri made a few nice dribbles complete with step-overs, but came on too late to make any serious contribution.
Fabio came on way too late too.
All in all, looks good for the future but we need some urgent additions to the squad. A dynamic box to box midfielder and goal scoring striker are vitally needed.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through the rest of this thread yet, so I'm not sure if I'm going against the grain here, but...

Even though we lost, that was the most pleasure I've had from watching a Wolves game in well over a year. We were excellent.

We played high, we played fast, we got the ball forward at every opportunity, we pressed, we created chances. We didn't do that backwards-sideways-backwards passing crap that has blighted us for so very long. We threaded balls through static lines instead of playing aimlessly in front of them. We got players up in support. Most wonderfully, we won the ball high up the park the way the more progressive teams like Leicester and Man Utd do instead of camping around our penalty box, and then we were sharp and direct. Every time the ball came into midfield there were one or two gold shirts there to press and win it, and there were options ahead to pass to. That's how football is supposed to be played.

I loved seeing through balls into space for Traore to run onto, as so many of us have been screaming for for so long, and loved seeing Neves playing beyond the halfway line. Sa was stupid and clumsy for the penalty, despite how Alli bought it, but he redeemed himself with some good saves and by playing high off his line with quick, clever distribution. Just like last week, if Adama takes his one-on-one, we get a point, but apart from that he was our gem, always wriggling free and being direct, and so much good came through him. Isn't it noticeable how he's so much more forward thinking now and spends less time on his backside?

Negatives, only that Trincao is ridiculously left-footed and that halves our danger potential on the right, and that Marcal - who was strong in defence - can't cross a football to save his life, so I'd prefer Ait Nouri there. And, obviously, that we didn't score. But otherwise we did everything right, and the goals will come, sooner rather than later.

A word on Nuno. Spurs were truly insipid and they played EXACTLY like we did when we were at our worst, slow and compact and no guile. They won, but winning isn't everything. Spurs fans won't have that. As soon as they stop winning and get turned over by a Watford or a Palace or a Newcastle with sub-40% possession (which will happen) then they'll revolt. I know which team I was happy and proud to watch today, and it wasn't the one that stole the points. Vive la Lage.
Excellent post.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had a car once that broke down. Most people who were not in the car business told me to get rid of it. But, I said that if I sold it then, I would get nothing for it, if I even could find someone to take a gamble.

So I kept it, spent 10 months fixing it, and sold a younger car I had for a good profit.
I thought I'd be okay, because the car I fixed would get me where I needed to go.

Alas, sometimes broken can be fixed, but it's performance isn't what it used to be. And now it won't fetch a good price. And my wife won't let me access the funds to buy another proven car to get me where I want to go.

But that's okay, I can always think of how good it was before. Nostalgia is enough isn't it?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are very similar . Think our one is more of a pen than theirs to be fair . Alli kicks sa rather than sa taking him out. I thought this was one of the main things they were trying to eradicate
Having watched them back I don’t think either are penalties. Alli definitely initiates the contact and the new guidelines say that that isn’t a penalty. VAR official should have overturned it.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And also the BBC player rater had Son down as man of the match. Didn't notice him on the pitch tbh.
That really is a strange choice. I thought Alli actually played really well. Clearly conned the ref for the penalty but that aside he put a real shift in and made a number of good tackles and interceptions. It was noticeable how all Spurs players were drilled in the dark arts of moaning to the ref at everything and time-wasted at every opportunity. That must be a hangover from previous managers and it will be interesting if that slowly changes under Nuno as we were noticeably more respectful of officials- too much in my opinion - under Nuno.

R

reanswolf

These highlights make you realise just how well we played tho maybe a bit biased our way. Also never a penalty when you see it from every angle. Bizarrely it only goes to 70th minute but it shows all the key moments.

We really did play some delightful stuff, great credit due to the manager and players.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These highlights make you realise just how well we played tho maybe a bit biased our way. Also never a penalty when you see it from every angle. Bizarrely it only goes to 70th minute but it shows all the key moments.

We really did play some delightful stuff, great credit due to the manager and players.
The two decisions are disgraceful .

Exactly what the refs have been told not to give fouls for.

No screen check either.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs best source of attacks yesterday were marcal throw ins . How do we make it look so hard ffs

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Watched the extended highlights on Sky last night and they were waxing lyrical about how well we played but our final ball was letting us down. Sky’s highlights were 90% Wolves attacking.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cheers for posting that, I wasn't at the match and hadn't had chance to see the highlights yet.

Won't give a proper verdict as haven't seen the whole match and it's difficult to give a true reflection upon a match that you've only seen 10 minutes of ... but here's a handful of thoughts (after reading this back, I've realised it sounds well negative but it's not meant to! I'm genuinely pleased but am just pointing at things I'd like to see tweaked and tightened up):
  • If that's a penalty then I think I might just give up. I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that most penalties in the Prem involve players being at 30-45 degrees from the vertical (yes, this is a euphemism for simulation which, in itself, is a euphemism) at the point of contact but Ali actually jumped his shins in to Sa and screamed in fake-pain... it quite simply wasn't a penalty kick. Embarrassing.
  • Very impressed with the general play in terms of passing (I mean, apart from the pass straight to their player in midfield in the direct lead up to the goal!) and "energy" for want of a better term. The movement of the ball and off the ball was more fluid than I'd got used to recently.
  • We had about a squillion chances but there were a lot of speculative, quite poor shots from about 18-25 yards - I'd like to see us work it in to the box and show a little patience rather than just hit it hard at the first sight of goal. If anything, Spurs had the best chance to score again with that chance to which Sa got his hands. I suppose that I'm probably being a bit churlish as it was good to see us in attack mode. Very refreshing!
  • As others have said, Adama should have made a better fist of that chance but, as other others have said, nobody else in the team (indeed, the squad) would have had the directness and pace to get into that position from the balls played to him. It's a dilemma; it's the same dilemma as ever, really! A natural finisher would not have taken that little touch allowing Loris (who, admittedly, got off his line quickly) to close him down; a natural finisher would have slid the ball to the keeper's left with their first touch... but, then, a "normal" forward wouldn't have got within half a mile of the ball!! Still, it's pleasing to see Adama doing what we've all wanted him to do for the last couple of years: run off the ball. I'll keep my fingers crossed it begins to pay dividends because he looks way happier on the field at the moment.
  • I'd also highlight Trincao's chance where he sort of half-slid/half-kicked into the ball from Semedo's ball. He needed to be way more committed and should have done better than the weak contact he made. His whole game seem a bit tentative at the moment despite the fact he seems to have a lovely touch. I feel it'll take some time to get up to speed with the Prem but he has talent.
  • It was brilliant, just brilliant to see and hear a packed, fervent Molineux after so many months of echoing, empty football stadia
I think there are many reasons to be optimistic and that we're tweaks away from being a decent team who are quite easy on the eye. But. I also bring up the thing that I said last season on a couple of occasions when some people were saying how amazingly pretty Fulham were and how the Cottagers were going to overtake us and stay up: the history Prem is littered with teams who play attractive , attack-minded football and are, to quote myself, easy on the eye... but then got relegated due to a lack of cutting edge.

Before you all sharpen your quills, and reply to be that I'm a WUM or too negative, all I'm doing is sounding a note of caution: I sincerely don't think we'll get relegated but, to state the obvious, we need to turn these performances into substance (goals) or we'll find ourselves at the ugly end of the table like last year, pretty football or not. I have faith that we will find the means to make those steps.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That really is a strange choice. I thought Alli actually played really well. Clearly conned the ref for the penalty but that aside he put a real shift in and made a number of good tackles and interceptions. It was noticeable how all Spurs players were drilled in the dark arts of moaning to the ref at everything and time-wasted at every opportunity. That must be a hangover from previous managers and it will be interesting if that slowly changes under Nuno as we were noticeably more respectful of officials- too much in my opinion - under Nuno.
Yeah did my head in how Alli diverted his run to make sure he collided with Sa and 'won' the penalty, and then later on Semedo got a touch on the ball, defender contacted him and he went down, and no penalty. Fine margins between the 2 scenarios in my view.

The good thing is, we have a lot more of the ball in the box under Lage, so the chances of winning penalties is greatly increased.
You can imagine Traore, Podence, Ait Nouri & Neto have the fleeting footwork to seduce the odd dangled leg from the opposition.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
having watched the highlights on motd2 i have the opinion we were lucky not to have been battered 4 or 5 nil, that we managed to get a few chances from limited possession, that marcal wasn't wiped out in what should have been a red card, that spurs weren't a dirty cheating diving time wasting team once again.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
My morning after verdict! (Feels nice to be writing one again!)

I thought we were probably 80% of the way there, we're obviously missing a cutting edge and a bit of quality in and around the opposition box, but let's not forget we were playing Tottenham, a team full of big players and stars. It was such a refreshing change from the last 18 months though, I'm not sure how much it's just being back in the ground or what, but even though we lost I enjoyed the game and I thought we played well.

Big plus for me was Kilman. How good is he all of a sudden?! Well I dunno about all of a sudden, maybe Bruno has just brought an extra 5-10% out of him. I know everyone's been going mad to get a centre back signed but Kilman has to be first choice from now on, right? Nothing seems to bother him or worry him, he's so calm and cool. Love it!

Thought Adama showed everything why he plays for us. His skill and speed is so so good, but there just seems to be nothing at the end of it. Don't get me wrong I thought he played well, but that's two weeks in a row where he's missed our best chance all game and you could really say he should have scored. It's a hard one because I think without him, we're not half the threat going forward, he absolutely frightens defenders.

I thought Marcal had a good game, until he got to the Tottenham box. I don't think he put in one good cross all game, and by the end I think Tottenham were just letting him cross it in because they knew it wouldn't be a good ball. Is there maybe a chance to play him at left centre back and bring Ryan Ait-Nouri into the wing back place? I'd maybe try that tomorrow at Forest in the cup. Defensively though Marcal is brilliant.

Being at the ground, I thought the referee got the two penalty calls right, real time. Maybe looking at replays I've changed my mind but I don't think they were terrible decisions, so I kinda accept them and get on with it. I don't want VAR getting involved 4 or 5 times a game, so if decisions like yesterday are going to happen, so be it.

I thought Tottenham were a bit weird, well I can't think of another word for it. The players body language was terrible. I don't know how much this whole Harry Kane thing is causing trouble in their squad, but someone like Son for example, who I actually think is a fabulous player, all game he was shrugging his shoulders, whinging at the referee. The Tottenham team just didn't look like they enjoyed playing the match.

Overall I think you have to be encouraged by what we've seen. I can get why people are saying "2 games, 2 losses, 0 goals" but come on, we've played two top sides and been the better side. Things will click and I hope really that Bruno gets the support he needs from the boardroom in the transfers. One or two good signings in good areas and this could be a great season.

Emoji Ratings:

:hearteyes:- Kilman, Neves

:grinning:-Marcal, Sa, Traore

:blush:- Coady, Moutinho, Trincao, Jimenez

:expressionless:- Saiss, Semedo, Dendoncker, Fabio, Ait-Nouri

:anguished:-

:cry:-

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from the result, lovely stuff to watch......
I spent the majority of the 2nd half day dreaming about how good it would be to have Neto in this team.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was excellent. I'm genuinely puzzled how anyone could watch the game today and not think Neves was one of our better players. Only his shooting was disappointing.
That was like Ruben in the championship dictating everything the shackles are off the players now.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was like Ruben in the championship dictating everything the shackles are off the players now.
He's playing 30 yards futher forwards, looking to play forward, incisive passes and it's an absolute joy to watch

The more I see of this team the more I'm convinced the change in manager was necessary

R

reanswolf

My morning after verdict! (Feels nice to be writing one again!)

I thought we were probably 80% of the way there, we're obviously missing a cutting edge and a bit of quality in and around the opposition box, but let's not forget we were playing Tottenham, a team full of big players and stars. It was such a refreshing change from the last 18 months though, I'm not sure how much it's just being back in the ground or what, but even though we lost I enjoyed the game and I thought we played well.

Big plus for me was Kilman. How good is he all of a sudden?! Well I dunno about all of a sudden, maybe Bruno has just brought an extra 5-10% out of him. I know everyone's been going mad to get a centre back signed but Kilman has to be first choice from now on, right? Nothing seems to bother him or worry him, he's so calm and cool. Love it!

Thought Adama showed everything why he plays for us. His skill and speed is so so good, but there just seems to be nothing at the end of it. Don't get me wrong I thought he played well, but that's two weeks in a row where he's missed our best chance all game and you could really say he should have scored. It's a hard one because I think without him, we're not half the threat going forward, he absolutely frightens defenders.

I thought Marcal had a good game, until he got to the Tottenham box. I don't think he put in one good cross all game, and by the end I think Tottenham were just letting him cross it in because they knew it wouldn't be a good ball. Is there maybe a chance to play him at left centre back and bring Ryan Ait-Nouri into the wing back place? I'd maybe try that tomorrow at Forest in the cup. Defensively though Marcal is brilliant.

Being at the ground, I thought the referee got the two penalty calls right, real time. Maybe looking at replays I've changed my mind but I don't think they were terrible decisions, so I kinda accept them and get on with it. I don't want VAR getting involved 4 or 5 times a game, so if decisions like yesterday are going to happen, so be it.

I thought Tottenham were a bit weird, well I can't think of another word for it. The players body language was terrible. I don't know how much this whole Harry Kane thing is causing trouble in their squad, but someone like Son for example, who I actually think is a fabulous player, all game he was shrugging his shoulders, whinging at the referee. The Tottenham team just didn't look like they enjoyed playing the match.

Overall I think you have to be encouraged by what we've seen. I can get why people are saying "2 games, 2 losses, 0 goals" but come on, we've played two top sides and been the better side. Things will click and I hope really that Bruno gets the support he needs from the boardroom in the transfers. One or two good signings in good areas and this could be a great season.

Emoji Ratings:

:hearteyes:- Kilman, Neves

:grinning:-Marcal, Sa, Traore

:blush:- Coady, Moutinho, Trincao, Jimenez

:expressionless:- Saiss, Semedo, Dendoncker, Fabio, Ait-Nouri

:anguished:-

:cry:-
Yep, pretty much how I saw it.
Good to have your emoji reporting back too Jade.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
having watched the highlights on motd2 i have the opinion we were lucky not to have been battered 4 or 5 nil, that we managed to get a few chances from limited possession, that marcal wasn't wiped out in what should have been a red card, that spurs weren't a dirty cheating diving time wasting team once again.
Does anyone have that tackle on video?

Back
Top Bottom