Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs 1 King Gary's Wolves 2 - Verdict Thread

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Evthewolf wrote;
I will probably get slated for this but for me, Neves and Moutinho don’t get in this team. Great players in their own right but a massive part of why we were so slow, ponderous and predictable in midfield.

You are comparing Neves with previous set up and coaching regimes, considering how Gary and his team have improved not just one but several players, how about Neves with a 10% or 15% improvement?
Personally I would love to see Ruben here right now.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically, a point for Sheffield Utd will do nothing for them. They're at a cliff edge now. They need to win a couple of the bounce to even get back in the conversation. So, hopefully we get a few opportunities to get in behind.
Umm, think I disagree.
I reckon they’d be delighted with a point; and if they manage to get the first goal they will be incredibly difficult to break down.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much to my embarrassment, I had mentally written yesterdays game off. I have quite a few Spurs mates and I figured after last week we might not show up. So happy to be proven wrong (again). Superb performance.

Always great to see fans of big 6 team complaining about you defending well and counter attacking against them, as well as that heinous crime of celebrating when you win

Attachments

• IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 180

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Evthewolf wrote;
I will probably get slated for this but for me, Neves and Moutinho don’t get in this team. Great players in their own right but a massive part of why we were so slow, ponderous and predictable in midfield.

You are comparing Neves with previous set up and coaching regimes, considering how Gary and his team have improved not just one but several players, how about Neves with a 10% or 15% improvement?
Absolutely.
I think GON would have done what many of us wanted and played Neves as the “freer” of the two midfielders. He’d of thrived. Would have been like a combination of Doyle and Lemina in one player.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking that JL was an idiot to chuck his toys?
His loss is GONs gain
I’ve always thought he was an idiot in fairness, but it’s clear he’s placed far too much on being able to walk into another role on the basis of what he did last year.

The problem is with him now, is he’s got previous for walking out on jobs, and he’s clearly got a high opinion of himself too.

He’s a decent manager, clearly, and would do well at a Newcastle. But for me he’s tarsnished goods and i’ll never forgive him for dragging our club through the mud.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
@Evthewolf wrote;

Would you expect him to start most games?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Much to my embarrassment, I had mentally written yesterdays game off. I have quite a few Spurs mates and I figured after last week we might not show up. So happy to be proven wrong (again). Superb performance.

Always great to see fans of big 6 team complaining about you defending well and counter attacking against them, as well as that heinous crime of celebrating when you win
They’re all the same. They expect mid-table Wolves to turn up to their beautiful shiny stadium, be in awe of their world class talented players, roll over and lose. Not us.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Outstanding result and outstanding individual performance from Joao Gomes.

Obviously the goals are great and a man of his stature scoring a header direct off a corner is unusual to say the least!

But another thing I noticed was that his round the corner, foot down, bum-in-the-way tackling style appears to have rubbed off on everyone. Lemina, Toti and Semedo were all at it and it is working a treat for us in getting the ball back!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you expect him to start most games?
Who knows? It's like comparing different eras. I'm not denigrating the current midfield, I just think that Ruben would have thrived with Gary's coaching and tactics.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hahahahaha!!! Absolutely loving the sour grapes! How utterly pathetic! Love how we are turning into their bogey team!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who knows? It's like comparing different eras. I'm not denigrating the current midfield, I just think that Ruben would have thrived with Gary's coaching and tactics.
Yes, who knows? Impossible to say. I think Ruben was asked to play a role that didn’t play to his strengths, for the most part and if he’d have had Lemina or Gomes (or both) along side him instead of trying to do that part of the game himself (which I didn’t think was his natural game), we may well have seen more of his undoubted talent.

You could argue that perhaps our system stifled him rather him stifling our system. I also think there was a kind of unspoken expectancy that everything had to go through him because he was “our gem”.

Now the team is much more balanced and every player seems to understand that they all have responsibilities and are expected to contribute equally. Not sure this was the case in the past or at least it didn’t appear that way sometimes.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

So this clown thought we were lucky?!!!!!!!!!!

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking that JL was an idiot to chuck his toys?
His loss is GONs gain
Well, we have been very unlucky in the past, e.g. when Covid derailed what seemed to be a genuine push for being a top 6 contender, the kind of Villa and Newcastle are having at the moment.

So we deserve some luck and the whole JL saga has turned out to be a very lucky one:
- He came and saved us from relegation
- He signed or approved signing of players in the January'23 transfer window which turned out to be one of our best ever windows
- Just when things started to go wrong he threw his toys out of the pram and let us employ GON who has improved the team in every aspect

I don't think that was the plan but I love it.

Therefore I have no hard feelings towards JL. He certainly turned our fortunes around! And he's probably an idiot as well.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score

This seems to be the rhetoric of every "Big 6" team that loses to a team below them. It's never they actually played well against us and they tactically did us. It's always "Worst I have seen x play all season" or " They parked the bus".

It shows a lot of them up for having such a low footballing IQ in my opinion. Massive difference to parking the bus and what we did yesterday. Most fans of top 6 clubs these days are awfully ignorant of everything around them and arrogant about their own teams capabilities.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is there a hint of bitterness in those tweets?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
From the highlights I noticed it looked a bit like RAN was, at times, taking up a position as a third midfielder?
Wonder if this is a new tweak? Maybe to allow Neto the space out wide?
I find it ironic that having said we were too loose in the way we played, we now have Toti wandering into midfield, RAN going wherever he likes. Kilman making the odd run through the middle of the pitch. I guess it's down to the understanding between the players. All the back 5 seem to have license to go forward, the other 4 see this and adjust as needed. It's lovely to watch though.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the same time, Kulusevski's (whilst well-taken) goal was down to us switching off from a throw-in, and Gomes' technique to take a bobbling ball and stroke it past Vicario probably hasn't received the credit it deserved
We also need to praise Gomes' involvement at the start of the move, where he had to control a bobbling ball with a Spuds player right on him, and then immediately played what was a perfectly weighted pass with his weaker foot to Neto.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This seems to be the rhetoric of every "Big 6" team that loses to a team below them. It's never they actually played well against us and they tactically did us. It's always "Worst I have seen x play all season" or " They parked the bus".

It shows a lot of them up for having such a low footballing IQ in my opinion. Massive difference to parking the bus and what we did yesterday. Most fans of top 6 clubs these days are awfully ignorant of everything around them and arrogant about their own teams capabilities.
I've seen quite a few 'park the bus' comments, it shows that they don't have a clue.
Our performance yesterday was more a Rope-a-dope type display.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely.
I think GON would have done what many of us wanted and played Neves as the “freer” of the two midfielders. He’d of thrived. Would have been like a combination of Doyle and Lemina in one player.
Which was how he played when we demolished Liverpool at home. It was a godly midfield performance.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to make a profound statement here. Pedro Neto is the best Wolves player ever.
If he scored more goals he may be in with a shout. Unfortunately, those two efforts at the end of yesterdays game, when he was admittedly tiring, are really rather typical of his game in that regard. Top player, but not the best ever.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm going to make a profound statement here. Pedro Neto is the best Wolves player ever.

I know it's subjective but sorry no - he is undoubtedly a magical player who we are lucky to have.

I am not sure when you started watching wolves but I was Fortunate to have seen Palmer , Parkin, Bailey, Munro, Hibbit, Doog, Richards , Waggy et al probably the best team apart from the 50s team ( who I wasn't born then) we have had.

School of thought from those older than me say Pete Broadbent is probably the best footballer to pull on the old gold - no doubt others will join the debate

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting topic.

Who gets in this team from nuno’s assuming everyone is fit? The obvious choice is Neves but seeing what lemina and Gomes do and the dynamism they bring in this style I’m not so sure. I’d be interested to see everyone’s hybrid team.
Just imagine how devastating a front line of Jota, Cunha and Neto would be. Add a peak Raul in to the mix and you would have probably the best forward line in the league

Edmund Dantes

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If he scored more goals he may be in with a shout. Unfortunately, those two efforts at the end of yesterdays game, when he was admittedly tiring, are really rather typical of his game in that regard. Top player, but not the best ever.
That's fair. Obviously I am exaggerating. But I do think he's got the ability to change the momentum of a match. If he stayed healthy I think he could prove to be one of the best

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even with the TV money, teams are going to be a lot more wary of how they spend their money. I still think we will see big fees here and there, but we arent going to see the likes of Chelsea lashing out ridiculous money on players and inflating the market anymore.

It is going to have a knock on effect like you say. Players we buy will also have lower prices i reckon.
Your reasoning is good but will Saudi money upset the apple cart to some extent…….they may affect prices and personal terms.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score

A Spuds fan alluding to an empty trophy cabinet! They did the League & Cup double in '61 don't you know? Also contributed (albeit a losing role) to the dullest CL Final in living memory. Oh, and Waddle, Gazza, Ginola, Bale and Kane played for them. Part of me hopes the red half of North London triumphs this season.

Even the most neutral of observers will admit Spuds never turned up y'day and Gary outmanoeuvred Ange.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A thoroughly professional performance from our club yesterday. Ability coupled with desire. Well done to everyone.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy to take days like today for granted, but, despite the OTT doom and gloom of the summer, I’d say we are just about as established as a top flight side now as we have been at any point in the last 45 years. Quite remarkable really for fans around my age, whose only other experience of top flight football was desperately clinging on for a lucky 1-0 for 90 minutes.

We are a proper decent team right now. Moan all you want about Shi, but where we are now is pretty much unprecedented for anyone under 50.
To be fair I think we are better now than the 70’s team. Don’t get me wrong, that team was great but we got relegated in 75-76 and then were up and down until we went down to the 4th division. We’ve now had 6 seasons in the top flight. It will soon be 7. We’ve never had such a sustained run in the top flight in my lifetime.

WufflerMuffler

Groupie
Reaction score
Agree with Evthewolf, the classy Neves and Moutinho went sideways and measured - whereas Gomes and Lemina go forwards and explosive.

(- although, lets not forget Brentford 1 - 2 Wolves, Mouts bends our classy first goal, Toney gets theirs back, Ruben gets our winner, Adama sews it up, but offside. )

As to previous teams compared with Gazball...from late 1950s I loved Peter Broadbent, he was one of God's distant cousins, always finding the clever way...the 70s pack were terrific...loved big Frank, Doog, Waggy, King John...and, of course, the Bully era...
...thing is...its not one or the other, is it? The times, the context, the opposition all makes it impossible to compare one set of Wolves players with another.

What we can compare is - who was big-hearted and played for Wolves as if it was the only team that mattered?

Talent works for individuals, sure...
(overhead kick goal by Peter Knowles which made even anti-Wolves Beeb commentator David Coleman go all wibbly-wobbly - total filth!) ...but what works for us, the crowd, the woman or bloke taking the result into our everyday lives, is the sight of a Wolves team playing as a pack, patching the threadbare bits, stitching the holes, making the banner.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with Evthewolf, the classy Neves and Moutinho went sideways and measured - whereas Gomes and Lemina go forwards and explosive.

(- although, lets not forget Brentford 1 - 2 Wolves, Mouts bends our classy first goal, Toney gets theirs back, Ruben gets our winner, Adama sews it up, but offside. )

As to previous teams compared with Gazball...from late 1950s I loved Peter Broadbent, he was one of God's distant cousins, always finding the clever way...the 70s pack were terrific...loved big Frank, Doog, Waggy, King John...and, of course, the Bully era...
...thing is...its not one or the other, is it? The times, the context, the opposition all makes it impossible to compare one set of Wolves players with another.

What we can compare is - who was big-hearted and played for Wolves as if it was the only team that mattered?

Talent works for individuals, sure...
(overhead kick goal by Peter Knowles which made even anti-Wolves Beeb commentator David Coleman go all wibbly-wobbly - total filth!) ...but what works for us, the crowd, the woman or bloke taking the result into our everyday lives, is the sight of a Wolves team playing as a pack, patching the threadbare bits, stitching the holes, making the banner.
I was always under the impression David Coleman was a big Wolves fan

Back
Top Bottom