Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Southampton verdict

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just a word of sympathy to those posters who want to pick holes in yesterday's performance. Bloody hell, lads, it was a cracking game of football, we're 8th in the table, a young lad came into the back 3 and slotted in seamlessly, Sa is the best keeper in the league, Coady scored, Adama scored, we had the guts and determination to get the game played despite the fact that the majority of our subs haven't started shaving yet...
Seriously, what more do you want from a Saturday afternoon?

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a word of sympathy to those posters who want to pick holes in yesterday's performance. Bloody hell, lads, it was a cracking game of football, we're 8th in the table, a young lad came into the back 3 and slotted in seamlessly, Sa is the best keeper in the league, Coady scored, Adama scored, we had the guts and determination to get the game played despite the fact that the majority of our subs haven't started shaving yet...
Seriously, what more do you want from a Saturday afternoon?
I fully expected that to a be a bump back down to earth game but we came through it well.
We have one of the best defences in the league and it looks like we are starting to score a few goals at last; Bruno is doing a cracking job.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been to all home league games except Burnley and it was my most enjoyable game of the season.May of lacked some of the composure and cutting edge of previous performances like West Ham /Everton but it was just two teams going for it.

Could of gone either way in the last ten minutes. Traore goal was such a relief.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well pleased with that.
In fact, I'm really rather beginning to enjoy this season.
Was worried when Patricio left. But I think we have possibly a better keeper in Sa. Killman is starting to really impress me. I wish Podence would ease up a bit. At this rate, he'll be off to Liverpool...;)
Semedo is another that is adapting. Raul's penalty-taking style does my head in a bit. But I see that adopting such a technique actually allows him to see which way the keeper is going. You can call it coolness personified I guess.
And a word for Bruno. I for one appreciate his calm and contemplative touch-line style. Rather than the ridiculous antics of that twerp at spurs and the bloke who manages chelsea.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RAN very lucky with 2 offside flags. He was static when Saints player got passed him at back post only to blaze over from 5 yards. A few moments later he hits the side netting when he should be hitting the target. Both times flag went up to spare his blushes.
You could also argue that (1) he earned us a penalty (2) he put a free-kick right onto Kilman's head for the second and (3) he played Traore in for the third. Its all about opinions isn't it...?

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure that we missed Neves, as some are suggesting, so much as we were outnumbered (5 to 4) in midfield. Would have been difficult to change that without Jimenez losing some support. I was very enthusiastic when Trincao signed but I'm starting to wonder if he was such a good signing. He really has to toughen up mentally and also realise that in the PL you have no time whatsoever. A goal would do wonders for his confidence but so long as he is reluctant to shoot from good positions its not going to happen.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't like Southampton, a posh version of Leeds IMO but Saints are the hacks south coast darlings (much like Bournemouth were) and do no wrong.

On MOTD a slow motion of the fire kick from the side and their is no spin on the ball, this is the clue that something else interfered with the ball.

51.27 to see the NO spinning ball

I've now looked at the clip on MM and you can see it deflect of mouts right side of his head which deflects the ball to the other side of the goal, if it had the the other side it then it's a corner.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't like Southampton, a posh version of Leeds IMO but Saints are the hacks south coast darlings (much like Bournemouth were) and do no wrong.

On MOTD a slow motion of the fire kick from the side and their is no spin on the ball, this is the clue that something else interfered with the ball.

51.27 to see the NO spinning ball

I've now looked at the clip on MM and you can see it deflect of mouts right side of his head which deflects the ball to the other side of the goal, if it had the the other side it then it's a corner.
The side angle makes it fairly obvious that Moutinho doesn't touch it at all

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly thought we was outstanding again can’t fault any player really.

Star players

Toti Coady Kilman Sa

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny, we were all complaining about the lack of offense for a few months at a time yet most o us are praising the defense (kilman, toti, coady, sa) in a match we won 3-1

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny, we were all complaining about the lack of offense for a few months at a time yet most o us are praising the defense (kilman, toti, coady, sa) in a match we won 3-1
It's the strength of our defence that gives me great confidence for the rest of the season. If our offensive players continue to improve and you can see signs that this is so + the return of Neto, you have to believe we will start to stick the goals away.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair i dont think VAR was used correctly in this instance
Its supposed to be used if its a clear and obvious error,if it takes 4 minutes with endless slow motion to decide that then its not clear and obvious lol
It was a penalty for me,but it took a few replays to see he didnt actually catch the ball first
Anyways we have had some dodgy ones over the years so ill not argue at all :)
This clear and obvious is the most ridiculous and unfair way to judge something. It is either or either not. It should only be judged on its merits.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Felt it was a pretty poor performance.

Don't get how everyone is saying how good the defence and Moutinho were as Southampton really should've scored three or four and were the better team on the whole.

Tella's miss from a few yards that was wrongly flagged for offside, Salisu's header and Perraud's off the bar really should've been scored and they had other opportunities as well but they were the worst.

Romeu was outstanding for them in the middle of the park and ran the game for large parts.

They were too good for us in that department which highlighted the importance of Neves, which we all knew anyway. Also felt first half they were tactically better with the way Diallo and Ward-Prowse were drifting into the left and right pockets in central midfield making them hard to mark. I was actually pleased Diallo went off for Adams as that was causing us a lot of issues I felt.

Thought the fans recognised this was a huge test for the players because they stuck by them when it got tough and it certainly helped.

Overall the win is the only thing that matters and delighted with the character shown by the players but it shows how light we are in key areas of the squad.

Credit to Gomes for stepping in and generally playing well, looks to have good qualities and aggressive in the way he defends.

Get a good new centre-back and centre-midfielder and we have a chance of making Europe.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the strength of our defence that gives me great confidence for the rest of the season. If our offensive players continue to improve and you can see signs that this is so + the return of Neto, you have to believe we will start to stick the goals away.
Bang on. If the defence remains this tight we could be in for a very exciting few months.

I asked the lads in the pub if they felt anything was stirring. The response was muted. But I think we might surprise a few. UTW

R

reanswolf

Don't get how everyone is saying how good the defence and Moutinho were as Southampton really should've scored three or four and were the better team on the whole.

Tella's miss from a few yards that was wrongly flagged for offside, Salisu's header and Perraud's off the bar really should've been scored and they had other opportunities as well but they were the worst.

Romeu was outstanding for them in the middle of the park and ran the game for large parts.

They were too good for us in that department which highlighted the importance of Neves, which we all knew anyway. Also felt first half they were tactically better with the way Diallo and Ward-Prowse were drifting into the left and right pockets in central midfield making them hard to mark. I was actually pleased Diallo went off for Adams as that was causing us a lot of issues I felt.

Thought the fans recognised this was a huge test for the players because they stuck by them when it got tough and it certainly helped.

Overall the win is the only thing that matters and delighted with the character shown by the players but it shows how light we are in key areas of the squad.

Credit to Gomes for stepping in and generally playing well, looks to have good qualities and aggressive in the way he defends.

Get a good new centre-back and centre-midfielder and we have a chance of making Europe.
Its almost strange how the staff don't feel the same way about fans about midfield. I think most of us feel that if we upgraded elements of our midfield, it would make a world of difference. The club obviously feel differently by constantly ignoring it.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised some feel we didn't play well. I thought everyone had a reasonable game and we were up against a very solid southampton side who chased down everything. We often struggle when put under that pressure. We rode our luck a couple of times, as did they, but we were missing two key players and had a young debutant cb.

Even game, good 3 points, no complaints.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Generally agree with all of this. Especially your praise of Romeu. Even though we always seem to have So'ton's number at the moment, Romeu invariably impresses me.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The attack was good - however the goals were from a penalty, a set piece and a breakaway when Southampton were all over the place as they were pushing for an equaliser. Not to disparage the team - all the way through I was saying we deserved the win. That though Southampton had a lot of play, they didn't threaten much with it.

If we'd taken a 2 goal lead through slick interplay, then the praise would be for the offense. Also, Ait-Nouri , a defender , was key in all goals.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The attack was good - however the goals were from a penalty, a set piece and a breakaway when Southampton were all over the place as they were pushing for an equaliser. Not to disparage the team - all the way through I was saying we deserved the win. That though Southampton had a lot of play, they didn't threaten much with it.

If we'd taken a 2 goal lead through slick interplay, then the praise would be for the offense. Also, Ait-Nouri , a defender , was key in all goals.
We are not a team that is going to dominate entire games, like City, or Liverpoo.

We play the odds all the time. Make it difficult for opponents to score even when they are on top. Fashion enough
chances to have a reasonable chance of scoring over the course of the game. Take the heat out of the game by recycling the
ball, or calling for assistance for minor knocks.

Indeed our basic system from Nuno onwards, was to play the odds by using a form of hydraulic defence, which moves in
unison to prevent certain kinds of attack, always backed up by a back 3 and a good goalkeeper to reduce the chance of clear
openings.

Wolves employ a kind of game theory to maximise our impact and chances of winning or drawing at this elite level. Study chess theory or martial arts to see similar approaches to managing the game. Its why a Zen Moutinho is so important even though physically he is at a disadvantage. Moutinho is able to move the ball around even in the tightest of situations, negating the high pressing football favoured by many.

Saturday was a perfect example of how confounding for opponents this kind of advanced tactics can be. Despite their superior possession, Wolves always looked the more dangerous when attacking, and Southampton's actual chances came almost as a surprise. The loss of Saiss and Neves did have an impact, even though their replacements played well. But it didnt matter in the end as the system still functioned. Bruno has improved on Nuno defensively, partly because of Sa, but also because all three centre backs now play more pro-actively and win more possession of the ball.

The last 17 games have seen Wolves record top 4 form and are only improving. It really is not by chance.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all complain about decisions on here but we got a big call in our favour on Saturday with Dendoncker kicking Romeu.

May have been soft but he clearly doesn't kick the ball and does connect with Romeu.

Two games in a row that we've had fortunate decisions go our way at crucial moments. About time! Still need more for it to even up but just worth mentioning.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all complain about decisions on here but we got a big call in our favour on Saturday with Dendoncker kicking Romeu.

May have been soft but he clearly doesn't kick the ball and does connect with Romeu.

Two games in a row that we've had fortunate decisions go our way at crucial moments. About time! Still need more for it to even up but just worth mentioning.
I thought Silva getting shoulder barged was a ridiculous decision also.

He was horrednous for both sides and we did lucky with that - but boy are we overdue some

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not a team that is going to dominate entire games, like City, or Liverpoo.

We play the odds all the time. Make it difficult for opponents to score even when they are on top. Fashion enough
chances to have a reasonable chance of scoring over the course of the game. Take the heat out of the game by recycling the
ball, or calling for assistance for minor knocks.

Indeed our basic system from Nuno onwards, was to play the odds by using a form of hydraulic defence, which moves in
unison to prevent certain kinds of attack, always backed up by a back 3 and a good goalkeeper to reduce the chance of clear
openings.

Wolves employ a kind of game theory to maximise our impact and chances of winning or drawing at this elite level. Study chess theory or martial arts to see similar approaches to managing the game. Its why a Zen Moutinho is so important even though physically he is at a disadvantage. Moutinho is able to move the ball around even in the tightest of situations, negating the high pressing football favoured by many.

Saturday was a perfect example of how confounding for opponents this kind of advanced tactics can be. Despite their superior possession, Wolves always looked the more dangerous when attacking, and Southampton's actual chances came almost as a surprise. The loss of Saiss and Neves did have an impact, even though their replacements played well. But it didnt matter in the end as the system still functioned. Bruno has improved on Nuno defensively, partly because of Sa, but also because all three centre backs now play more pro-actively and win more possession of the ball.

The last 17 games have seen Wolves record top 4 form and are only improving. It really is not by chance.

Agree with that 100% And that it does go back to Nuno. This thing of sitting back and countering when in the lead, especially when in a 2 goal lead. It's all about odds and it does *over the course of a season* get the results. Though there will be the occasional misfire. There was a Norwich game in the Champs where we were 2 up and cruising and it ended 2-2. We sat back on the lead, they hauled it back, got an injury time equaliser and the Mix went apoplectic on how wrong sitting back was. (I won't mention the other infamous 2 goal turnaround). But overall, we are just excellent at holding a lead, getting a result once our noses are in front. I think it is because as you say, we play a "law of averages" game.

Southampton "nearly" pulled it off with that header on the post. But they were so ragged by the end (seems to be a Hessenhuttl thing, against us they invariably lose their shape as the game proceeds and we've turned them around at least twice recently as they collapse) - I think we could well have got an injury time winner.

Never quite got the Moutinho flak that occasionally fires up. Again, you've hit the nail on the head. He does a vital task, to the highest quality and is going to be nigh on impossible to replace. As soon as he's gone, unless we get an absolutely inspired replacement in, we will start to concede more as we get beaten by the press and can't play our way out. I suppose he's not fast and flashy, so it doesn't get noticed. Zen Moutinho :D

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to see the Saints view of our great win. Podence seems to be getting a reputation of always going down easily and 'Traore has missed, well he always misses'!!!
He didn't miss seconds later, did he.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rabbit Hutch seemed to be giving Bruno an earful at the final whistle, was anything said about why that was afterwards?

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you watch Sa after the free kick went in, he was really telling himself off. Not happy at all that he had been beaten.

Back
Top Bottom