Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Southampton verdict

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa 8.5 he's nuts, I love him
Kilman 8
Coady 8
Gomes 7 thought he looked pretty mobile and mostly comfortable
Semedo 7
Dendoncker 6.5
Moutinho 7
RAN 7
Podence 7.5 central to how we're playing now
Raul 7.5
Trincao 5 I'd never boo a Wolves player but he was an empty shirt again for long spells; I'd be disappointed if we sign him

Adama 7 good bottle to take on and finish that chance after the miss, pleased for him; nice to see the nobheads in front of me have to celebrate a Traore goal too; we can do fine without him though
Fabio 7

Got a bit lucky there. Thankfully that midfield won't a permanent fixture.

Is it me or are Saints fans weird? They've got a load of posh looking fans, and some right gobby ****s.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange game; think we perhaps just about deserved the win. Really pleased that the 2 players we would want to score did so - Jimenez and Traore. I don't think a defender, Kilman, has impressed me as much since Lescott and before that Frank Munro. And that is the highest praise I can give him. Kilman, Coady and Sa have put us where we are in the table imo.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves shot conversion rate in the league before today 7.1%

Wolves shot conversion rate in todays game: 33.3%

Are we suddenly clinical?!

If that clicks and we are and carry on conceding at our recent rate of 3 goals in 10 games we can do brilliant things this season.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Wolves shot conversion rate in the league before today 7.1%

Wolves shot conversion rate in todays game: 33.3%

Are we suddenly clinical?!

If that clicks and we are and carry on conceding at our recent rate of 3 goals in 10 games we can do brilliant things this season.
No that is just variance because over an extended sample size being clinical is overrated and creating chances is what matters

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No that is just variance because over an extended sample size being clinical is overrated and creating chances is what matters
It was a tad tongue in cheek to be fair!

It’s our defence that can give us the chance to do something good this season.

3 goals conceded in 10 and when you consider they were a last minute winner for Liverpool, dodgy penalty for Man City and an absolute rocket of a free kick today it makes it even more impressive.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s 3 points and 3 goals and that is what ultimately matters.

Full credit to Ward-Prowse for that absolute pearler of a free-kick and I hope Southgate takes serious note for future England games.

Lovely pen by Raul - great to see Conor get his first Molineux goal in Wolves colours (it’s his 2nd after that screamer for Huddersfield) and thank heavens Adama made up for his INEXPLICABLE miss!

I don’t care how people feel delighted about Adama’s goal; it’s utterly ridiculous he blazed his 1st chance over and has made my mind up in feeling that his time at Molineux IS UP.

Away from that, Max was with usual and brilliant self; Jose’s save in the 1st half was exquisite, Fabio looked darn good again off the bench and Toti looks like a calm and really composed centre half.

And this result, takes us to 31 points at 20 games: which officially is our best return in a 1st half of a Premier League season since promotion in 2018!

Roll on hopeful revenge against Brentford and if we do, the prospect of digging out the passports may begin to get real indeed.

Last edited:

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why teams don't put players on the posts for Ward-Prowse's free-kicks anymore or just forego the wall. It would completely throw him.

Of course, you open up the possibility of melee of players in front of the goal but he is so accurate that he is almost guaranteed a goal if within range by putting it in either of the corners. A defensive wall is as good as useless against him in most cases.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shout out to the fellow fans very good atmosphere today. Apart from the **** jocky who keep tutting behind me… ****

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Scrappy but entertaining.
Trincão is very frustrating - has a really nice touch but loses the ball a lot.
Toti slotted in perfectly. Max is fantastic. Great to see the three scorers, er score...

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really good victory and a reasonably good performance. Neves was a huge miss, but we still had enough and look like having a strong end to the season.
Donck tried his best to fill Neves boots, but it’s clearer than ever before where urgent reinforcement is required; especially with Gomes suggesting he may be able to develop into a premier league CB under Bruno.
I’ve knocked Bruno for some of his decision making, and been unsure about his ability to take us forward, but I’m big enough to admit that this fella appears to be potentially astute appointment. He’s certainly building a relationship with the fan base, similar to Nuno. I guess that’s very much Ed linked to current performance

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
just got in and started reading through this thread, slightly baffled as to how people are saying we were lucky, Saints better side etc as far as I can see there was nothing about that that we didn't deserve

yes Saints have some decent players and can play some good passing football but they never looked like scoring from open play (yes they hit the bar I know) , apparently Sa made nine saves according to the radio on the way home but very few of them were terribly difficult I would say, there were several fairly tame shots in there, I felt it was a lot like watching us from earlier in the season, they could have played all night and not scored

as to our lot I don't think there were any bad performances, the usual agendas against Trincao and Dendoncker seem to be continuing on here but personally I don't think either of them did much wrong, Trincao has some very creative touches and moved play on very quickly with them, he got stuck into plenty of challenges today as well; Semedo is always prone to mistakes usually early on but seems to settle in as the game goes on; to be honest the player I was most annoyed with was Moutinho for giving away that free-kick which he really needn't have done, he'd made a complete hash of controlling a ball that came his way and then chased after the Southampton guy who'd got the ball and you could just tell it wasn't going to end well but apart from that he had a good game

I thought it was a good, dogged performance, won't make top billing on MOTD we all know that but another three points on the board; Ait- Nouri is brilliant, I have a lot of confidence in him when the ball goes his way, likewise Podence and Fabio is clearly starting to make the progress we have all been hoping he would

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great result. Sa class. Kilman imperious again. Delighted for Coady. Thought Gomes was solid.

Another great cameo from Fabio again. Delighted Adama scored.

Didn't think anyone had a bad game. Everyone worked their *******s off too.

Get in Bruno.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched Football Focus at lunchtime for a change, and their prediction was a boring 0-0. :)

Really enjoyed watching that. Very competitive game between two good sides. Sa should be the Portugal keeper, as frankly he’s currently brilliant. Kilman should definitely be joining Coady in the England squad, and is head and shoulders better than most of his competition. Gomes did well in a baptism of fire, and looks like he has a future. Semedo and Mouts relatively quiet but solid, RAN lively and involved throughout. Dendocker did what was needed, but no more. Trincao solid without shining, Raul solid and took his penalty well. Podence everywhere and made everything work up front. Traore went from zero to hero in under a minute. Very pleased for him. Silva should now stay as he looks ready to challenge Raul and is growing in confidence.

Ref often gave Southampton the benefit of the doubt, but didn’t give them a penalty or send any of our players off, so met a low bar for me! For once VAR actually did it’s job properly for us, and more than once in a game, which must be a first!

We’ve had our best start in the top flight since 79/80, and Bruno is proving the doubters wrong. Happy Wolfie here tonight!

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without wishing to be a killjoy I still think we need another option in central midfield. Someone quicker and more attack minded.
Agree mate, but I don't think it can happen until we switch to a back 4. When we do.. podence is that man!!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Agree. He's a one trick pony

But it's one hell of a trick
Yeah he is the best free kick taker on the planet (to defend his corners as well as we did is a real testament to the Tony Roberts and the team as a whole) but ordinary around the pitch.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched Football Focus at lunchtime for a change, and their prediction was a boring 0-0. :)

Really enjoyed watching that. Very competitive game between two good sides. Sa should be the Portugal keeper, as frankly he’s currently brilliant. Kilman should definitely be joining Coady in the England squad, and is head and shoulders better than most of his competition. Gomes did well in a baptism of fire, and looks like he has a future. Semedo and Mouts relatively quiet but solid, RAN lively and involved throughout. Dendocker did what was needed, but no more. Trincao solid without shining, Raul solid and took his penalty well. Podence everywhere and made everything work up front. Traore went from zero to hero in under a minute. Very pleased for him. Silva should now stay as he looks ready to challenge Raul and is growing in confidence.

Ref often gave Southampton the benefit of the doubt, but didn’t give them a penalty or send any of our players off, so met a low bar for me! For once VAR actually did it’s job properly for us, and more than once in a game, which must be a first!

We’ve had our best start in the top flight since 79/80, and Bruno is proving the doubters wrong. Happy Wolfie here tonight!
To be fair i dont think VAR was used correctly in this instance
Its supposed to be used if its a clear and obvious error,if it takes 4 minutes with endless slow motion to decide that then its not clear and obvious lol
It was a penalty for me,but it took a few replays to see he didnt actually catch the ball first
Anyways we have had some dodgy ones over the years so ill not argue at all :)

Back
Top Bottom