Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So Neves.....

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm resigned to seeing him go, and quite fankly, its been an absolute pleasure to have had 4 years of him, at the club. Think most of us, thought he'd be off after a year or two.
But when he does go, it will be painful if he joins one of the so-called "Super League clubs", especially Man Utd. Just go on their forums and see them discuss Neves. Such a bunch of selfentitled *****

To us, he's prized jewel. To them, he's just another toy to play a bit with, then throw away in the bin. He deserves better..
At the end of the day its his choice
He knows hes almost guaranteed to start here,but also we are not a top club with CL credentials yet,so does he wait for another 4 years in the hope we can achieve that, or make his move now with his best years ahead of him?
By all reports Pogba is moving and that makes things very interesting at Man Utd,different players i know, but the funds make things open up a lot there if Pogba gets his PSG wish
We have to accept we cant keep these players while we are a mid table team,as much as we would like too,so move them on ,make the money and reinvest, on hopefully players that can help us gradually move up the league, so we can be in a position to keep them, is all we can do for a few seasons

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the day its his choice
He knows hes almost guaranteed to start here,but also we are not a top club with CL credentials yet,so does he wait for another 4 years in the hope we can achieve that, or make his move now with his best years ahead of him?
By all reports Pogba is moving and that makes things very interesting at Man Utd,different players i know, but the funds make things open up a lot there if Pogba gets his PSG wish
We have to accept we cant keep these players while we are a mid table team,as much as we would like too,so move them on ,make the money and reinvest, on hopefully players that can help us gradually move up the league, so we can be in a position to keep them, is all we can do for a few seasons

Yeah I can completely understand and absolutely no bad feelings towards him for joining them(if he does).

MontyR

Reaction score
Just like people leave jobs to try something new, footballers do the same. Gave a lot for the club and I think it's fair for the club to respect his wish to leave and have a fish around to see if anybody's interested for the right price.

I see that somebody commented about United being the club that players dream to go to if they came calling, but honestly I'm not sure if that's how it is anymore. If I was a player I'd be hesitant of joining a club like United. You have players like Telles and Donny van de Beek going from their previous clubs' star players to unused substitutes at United. If it were me and I wanted to stay in England then a club like Leicester would be my target.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just like people leave jobs to try something new, footballers do the same. Gave a lot for the club and I think it's fair for the club to respect his wish to leave and have a fish around to see if anybody's interested for the right price.

I see that somebody commented about United being the club that players dream to go to if they came calling, but honestly I'm not sure if that's how it is anymore. If I was a player I'd be hesitant of joining a club like United. You have players like Telles and Donny van de Beek going from their previous clubs' star players to unused substitutes at United. If it were me and I wanted to stay in England then a club like Leicester would be my target.

Man Utd will always be one of the most attractive clubs to join in the world. There's no doubt about it. They are massive beyond comprehension.

Just in a bit of a strange transitional phase and they're having to stick with Ole for longer than expected because he's doing alright.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Leicester??? Then he may as well stay here.
I’m not dissing The Foxes but their recent success can be emulated. United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City have a level and it’s top four.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the Neves of a couple of years ago left that would be a real shame, if the Neves of last season leaves I really don't care. The trouble is no one knows if his incredibly poor form last season was down to him or Nuno.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another casualty of Nuno Espirito Santo's dull murderball.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe, but also if our players had performed better you could argue that we would have done better, got more results and consequently 'looked better.....a case of 6 and two 3s maybe?

6 and two 3s..... is that a double pivot with twist and pike?

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe, but also if our players had performed better you could argue that we would have done better, got more results and consequently 'looked better.....a case of 6 and two 3s maybe?

6 and two 3s..... is that a double pivot with twist and pike?

The manager is ultimately responsible for the performances of the players

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man Utd will always be one of the most attractive clubs to join in the world. There's no doubt about it. They are massive beyond comprehension.

Just in a bit of a strange transitional phase and they're having to stick with Ole for longer than expected because he's doing alright.
I agree but they’ve been in a transitional phase since Fergie retired. Looking back at their history in my lifetime they seem to alternate between having a long successful period with a great manager a long period of transition before they find another.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
United lost Ronaldo, Liverpool Coutinho and Suarez, Arsenal Van Persie, Spurs Bale

Selling Jota and Neves doesn't make us a Southampton, it makes us a typical football club
Well said

I remember the days in the Championship when we didn't sell our best players.

Nobody wanted them!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The clubs interested in Neves are a bit bigger than Leicester, and it's not just English clubs.

Every manager has confidence in their abilities to make players with the right attitude better, and make the whole better than the sum of the parts. They will look at Neves and see the good bits - his passing range (on his day), his leadership qualities, his mentality and be convinced they can iron out the creases and make him a better player. They will look at the role he played under Nuno last season as a war of attrition, and at times it did look like that. Whether they can improve him or not...well, statistically, it's unlikely, but try telling a football manager that.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite often they left on a free. When we did sell a player the replacement was often significantly worse and quite often random.
Exactly! Afobe was perhaps the one exception, and even he flunked.

I'd much rather be a Leicester/Southampton than a 2015 Wolves.

I'd much rather be Man City than either though!

T

TheConcourse

I thought we saw today against Real Betis exactly why we should NOT sell him. He is a class above any other midfielder we have. Make him captain, give him a generous pay rise and build an exciting team around him.
Yes!

Give him runners and he’ll pass teams to death. Can’t believe we’d even contemplate a deal anywhere close to £35-£40m tbh.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we saw today against Real Betis exactly why we should NOT sell him. He is a class above any other midfielder we have. Make him captain, give him a generous pay rise and build an exciting team around him.
Agreed. You forget how good he is when he's not playing! Just the little touches and instinctive control of a ball.
I still think he's almost certain to go, sadly.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly! Afobe was perhaps the one exception, and even he flunked.

I'd much rather be a Leicester/Southampton than a 2015 Wolves.

I'd much rather be Man City than either though!
Deano, Marsden, JoLo, Flowers, Keane, Froggie and of course Bully would have sold if we wanted... but in general you are absolutely correct. We generally had a mixture of past-its and never made its for far too long....

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be fascinating to see how Spurs do this season after all these unjustified comments about someone who has done do much for us.
Based on Nunos previous, he will do well this season. It has unfortunately always fell away over time, though we had 3 great seasons.

Reactions: Ian

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be fascinating to see how Spurs do this season after all these unjustified comments about someone who has done do much for us.

Agreed! Pretty sickening to read PW.

It suits the classless agenda of the short sighted short memoried among us!!! Thankfully not too many in number

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't think it's unjustified, he looked so disinterested at the end, he was going through the motions.

Compared to earlier seasons where we played fast, predominantly attacking football, where we weren't afraid of going at teams, the past 2 seasons were slow, conservative, the players looked scared of their own shadow. The defensive approach and not committing players forward has had an adverse affect on our flair players.

Not qualifying for Europe for two consecutive seasons has harmed our players international careers, and those that have aspirations to play at the highest level are now looking elsewhere to fulfill their ambitions.

Nuno took us as far as he could. This was a transition season where we didn't transition. He had plenty of opportunity towards the end of the season to change the personnel and style of football, and we didn't. He couldn't even motivate the players to give him a good send off in front of our own fans.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with you.
Be nice to think Neves would be curious about working with Bruno and give us another season.
From his point of view has he really got anything to lose be giving it until xmas, even if things go sour for Wolves , teams would still be interested in him and know his qualities and he would still be in the Portugal squad for Qatar.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It suits the classless agenda of the short sighted short memoried among us!!! Thankfully not too many in number

Yes but if it was up to you Nuno would never have been here to start with as we'd never have got rid of McCarthy.
Nuno did well for his first 2 and 1/2 seasons... his Wolves team were awful to watch after that.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Short sighted is still thinking we're a small time club and just being grateful we're taking part.

Gone are the penny pinching days where we sign the dregs from relegated clubs.

We're backed by billionaire owners, the most powerful agent in world football, and are stocked with some of the most talented young footballers on the planet. We've got United, Juventus, etc scrabbling over our players.

If we don't compete, or are seen as "boring", we can't attract players, and our ambitious players will leave and the project becomes more difficult.

Steve Bruce's cabbageball was more effective than the turgid stuff Nuno was serving up last year, criminal.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yep.as it happens he was wearing the captains arm band against betis

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yep.as it happens he was wearing the captains arm band against betis

He's the vice captain so if Coady isnt playing he has the armband. I would like to see him captain and if Coady doesn't start he will be but I think Coady will stay as official club captain. I dont think Ruben would want it unless Coady leaves, they seem good pals.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don’t think wanting to see better football,
motivated players with intensity and the same in a manager is classless/short sighted or short memoried to be honest.

Based on Fosuns strategy of wanting to own a club playing European football and an attractive brand round the world, I’d say sticking with a manager who for a part of the season looked like he hated being here, was telling us all he was going to change our style of football and yet the performances were equally dire is probably a better example of being short sighted.

You want to succeed you need to change and improve, we did neither with Nuno last season and you can probably go further than that to find instances where his natural defend first strategy cost us both in league position and Cup success.

I actually wanted to give him this summer as a last chance saloon to try and solve this, but since hearing and seeing the change Bruno and his team have brought about I am in complete agreement that it was the right decision to make the change when we did.

I appreciate what he’s done for us, he brought me some of the best match experiences of my life but that doesn’t make him immune from the fact that last season was horrendous to watch frankly, even our wins didn’t feel like wins, rather achievements we scraped by the skin of our teeth. It was as hard to watch and experience as it was joyous to experience our successes at times.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
motivated players with intensity and the same in a manager is classless/short sighted or short memoried to be honest.

Based on Fosuns strategy of wanting to own a club playing European football and an attractive brand round the world, I’d say sticking with a manager who for a part of the season looked like he hated being here, was telling us all he was going to change our style of football and yet the performances were equally dire is probably a better example of being short sighted.

You want to succeed you need to change and improve, we did neither with Nuno last season and you can probably go further than that to find instances where his natural defend first strategy cost us both in league position and Cup success.

I actually wanted to give him this summer as a last chance saloon to try and solve this, but since hearing and seeing the change Bruno and his team have brought about I am in complete agreement that it was the right decision to make the change when we did.

I appreciate what he’s done for us, he brought me some of the best match experiences of my life but that doesn’t make him immune from the fact that last season was horrendous to watch frankly, even our wins didn’t feel like wins, rather achievements we scraped by the skin of our teeth. It was as hard to watch and experience as it was joyous to experience our successes at times.
While l don't really agree with you TY for a good post. l recognise a respectful, thoughtful and considered argument and can and will acknowledge that.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well put, and imo hard to argue against.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with this 100%.

Like you said loved everything Nuno done for us gave me so many great memories but the time was right. Last season the football was really bad that it got to point we were lucky to have a shot let alone a goal in some games!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That is unfair. I would agree that last season the football was pedestrian, maybe Nuno wanted to leave a year ago. Who knows? However if Bruno can reinvigorate Neves, then we might see the magic man of a couple of years ago.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno was a legend, you’re a disgrace

I'm not saying he wasn't, it was the correct time for both to part ways.

Nobody is bigger than the club.

Thank you for your wonderful insight, I hope you didn't tax those braincells too hard when you typed it out on a keyboard.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve had a few responses to my post. Uniformly they cut him no slack for last season’s unique circumstances (“but it was the same for every team!”). It wasn’t!!

By implication, they were bored with the style of football played in the 3 preceding seasons !!!! Well I was’nt, I thought it exhilarating.

Forgive them Nuno for they know not what they do …..

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not saying he wasn't, it was the correct time for both to part ways.

Nobody is bigger than the club.

Thank you for your wonderful insight, I hope you didn't tax those braincells too hard when you typed it out on a keyboard.
Okay. Here's how it is. You do make some decent contributions at times, but at others you really let yourself down with the way you put things across. I'll take it that you do that deliberately.
Either you moderate your own tone, or you are one step away from it being done fror you.

Back
Top Bottom