Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So Neves.....

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In preparation for any announcement on Neves leaving in the next few weeks......

1) As with Jota 's sale entirely negative imv unless we can get at least £50m for him (which is unlikely though not impossible). £35m or so would be an absolute travesty for an international who at 24 will reach his peak in the next couple of years. Arguably our most important player and future captain.
2) Three years to run on his contract - so no pressure to sell.
3) He embodies the whole Fosun 'project'. Selling him sends a huge negative signal to the first team squad, the supporters and players we might want to bring in, whatever blather there is about him needing to move on, re-building funds etc etc
4) You need a core of quality players in any squad around whom you build. You can't keep getting away with selling your best players in the expectation that equally good players will be queuing up to replace them. They won't.
5) Selling to immediate rivals like Arsenal is entirely counter-productive. You just widen the gap between the clubs. It means starting the season on the back foot with inferior replacements - don't kid yourself the club will be able to replace like with like on its apparently limited budget.
6)Yes he did not have a good season in 20/21 but apart from Neto nor did anyone. He has played a hell of a lot of matches and needs a break. There is a quality player there who will be coveted by top European teams despite that lapse.
7) Instead of selling him for xx make him captain increase his salary and perhaps the length of his contract - turn the current negative vibe surrounding the club around.
8) While there is an argument for letting older players like Rui and Moutinho go post Nuno that does not mean you should shift out younger ones who have a huge amount to contribute in the future.
9) Instead of 'courting bids' as has been indicated shut the bloody door in our rivals faces and make it absolutely clear in the press he is staying under Lage.
10) None of that pathetic crap about how can we keep a player when a top six club come calling..... we have to bow down and be grateful for their interest and take any offer coming. .Do Fosun want to make Wolves a club on a par with at least Arsenal or not? Selling your crown jewels only works if you get huge fees for them which allows you to properly strengthen and revive a squad - as when Liverpool sold Coutinho or Leicester sold Maguire. Even £50m is not that much these days at the top end of the game.

More could be said but I don't think Shi and co fully realise that the negative mindset building up around the club post Nuno is going to build and build if our best players are sold and inferior ones replace them. Lage already has a very tough job and it is so important that the club and supporters get fully behind him from the off.

Of course some will disagree with the above and say Neves is not that good, you can't do anything when a player gets a taste for a big move etc.. But at the end of the day my concern after last summer's awful transfer dealing is that the club could easily be on a slippery slope if it is not careful. We need a much stronger sound from the club about the future. The last conversations with Shi and co were welcome but the overall impression was one of stagnation and mid table mentality as being more than acceptable for now with a vague hope that young players will mature in the future etc. FFP or not the club needs to make sure this squad is good enough to compete. At the moment, only because of Jiminez and Neto returning at some point do I believe we should survive another season. But at the moment 'survive' seems good enough and that is a far cry from peak Nuno time when things looked so positive for the future.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel the same way as I did about Nuno . If he wants to go let him go . If he wants to stay keep him. After talking with Bruno.
I felt Nuno wanted off around the end of last year . He looked unhappy and the result was boring insipid football .
In pofessional football players do well if that are happy .

Last edited:

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There aren't any positives to take from a Neves sale. None whatsoever. However, folk on here will rationalise it, try to anyway, find positives, try to anyway, just like they did for Jota. We all know that was detrimental to our fortunes last season. Neves sale will **** us up even worse! I have resigned myself to it happening though, so am prepared!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope he doesn't leave. If Bruno is this attack minded philosopher, he could work magic with Neves. No more holding Coady's hand, actually taking control of the midfield and having a plethora of options infront of him to pass to. Dave Jones, who was like a very, very, very poor mans Neves, spoke in the Athletic article how good he was for his game - Ruben could flourish.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely an argument in us saying he's for sale for 50m..... like you say if the buying club is Utd or abroad, not to potential rivals.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I don't mind if Neves goes if he wants to leave but before he does we need to sign his replacement and they have to be proven . Otherwise no point selling .

The worry for me is new manager and lots of players possibly leaving means struggling next season whilst they bed in . That's why proven players are a must no excuses

If not and we sell our better players I for one will be questioning Jeff Shi's approach . And he can read that if he comes on here . Proven as well does not mean 5 games in a tin pot league either .

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If a player wants out there is no point forcing them to stay no matter how much we like them.
Regarding the fee, it’s all smoke and mirrors anyway. We will no doubt be getting a special deal elsewhere in the carousel, or quite likely already have and we’re paying it back.

Also if we don’t let the Jota’s, Neves etc move on they won’t come here to start with.

All that said I will be ****ing devastated.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did people really think nuno, neves and jota were gonna be here for ever..... One got the sack, the other 2 we will get us close to 60m profit.... Its been great having them but its football... Stop whining on like its something that only happens at wolves...... It happens at every club in the world....

Last edited:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He came to us knowing it was a stepping stone to bigger things. Anyone who thinks we will continue to attract youngsters like him if we block their progression is deluded. Only a madman would genuinely think we’re as likely to get top six as Arsenal but what fans think is irrelevant, what matters is what Neves thinks.

In our current state we can afford to lose one first team regular each summer - lots of clubs cope and we can too. The only way we will stop it is by competing in both football and financial terms with teams above us. Fosun have indicated they won’t throw more money at it so we are going to have to grow slowly and steadily, there is no alternative. Part of that will be losing players we’d rather keep and the fee we receive will reflect how other clubs value a player not how fans do. A player is only worth what another club will pay. You might not like it but get used to it, as it is going to happen anyway.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's entirely dependant on who Bruno wants for his team. He will have an idea what players he wants to bring in and if the club have told him that because of the UEFA FFP sanctions we will have to sell one of the big names in able to get them for him then that's how it will be. Obviously, as fans none of us will want to see Neves go as he has been the talisman and symbol of our rise but we have to have faith. The vibe will only be negative if we allow it to be.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every player has their price.

If that price is met, off they toddle

I'd be pushing for a move if I was Neves. 4 years is a good old stint and he'd double/triple his wages elsewhere.

The main negative for me is that we get complacent into thinking we can always buy young, improve, sell for a profit. Yes it's worked with Neves and Jota, but all it takes is a few duds and the PL status is in serious danger.

D

Deleted member 11332

There aren't any positives to take from a Neves sale. None whatsoever. However, folk on here will rationalise it, try to anyway, find positives, try to anyway, just like they did for Jota. We all know that was detrimental to our fortunes last season. Neves sale will **** us up even worse! I have resigned myself to it happening though, so am prepared!

Ridiculous thing to say. It depends what is done off the back of it. If he moves we sign a replacement for him and that replacement plays exceptionally well and helps us improve our previous best finish, how is that not a positive?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for the best players leaving....that's sadly just football for any non-classical/man City team.

Hazard left Chelsea
Overmars/Anelka left the title winners Arsenal
Coutinho/Suarez left Liverpool
Ronaldo left Man Utd
Maguire/Kante/Chilwell left Leicester

It's not the leaving that's important, it's the ability to have a robust scouting setup that can see you bring in a better replacement. And that's where we definitely need to improve.

Neves WILL leave this summer. And that's fine; we just need some quality replacements

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In preparation for any announcement on Neves leaving in the next few weeks......

1) As with Jota 's sale entirely negative imv unless we can get at least £50m for him (which is unlikely though not impossible). £35m or so would be an absolute travesty for an international who at 24 will reach his peak in the next couple of years. Arguably our most important player and future captain.
3) He embodies the whole Fosun 'project'. Selling him sends a huge negative signal to the first team squad, the supporters and players we might want to bring in, whatever blather there is about him needing to move on, re-building funds etc etc
4) You need a core of quality players in any squad around whom you build. You can't keep getting away with selling your best players in the expectation that equally good players will be queuing up to replace them. They won't.
5) Selling to immediate rivals like Arsenal is entirely counter-productive. You just widen the gap between the clubs. It means starting the season on the back foot with inferior replacements - don't kid yourself the club will be able to replace like with like on its apparently limited budget.
6)Yes he did not have a good season in 20/21 but apart from Neto nor did anyone. He has played a hell of a lot of matches and needs a break. There is a quality player there who will be coveted by top European teams despite that lapse.
7) Instead of selling him for xx make him captain increase his salary and perhaps the length of his contract - turn the current negative vibe surrounding the club around.
8) While there is an argument for letting older players like Rui and Moutinho go post Nuno that does not mean you should shift out younger ones who have a huge amount to contribute in the future.
9) Instead of 'courting bids' as has been indicated shut the bloody door in our rivals faces and make it absolutely clear in the press he is staying under Lage.
10) None of that pathetic crap about how can we keep a player when a top six club come calling..... we have to bow down and be grateful for their interest and take any offer coming. .Do Fosun want to make Wolves a club on a par with at least Arsenal or not? Selling your crown jewels only works if you get huge fees for them which allows you to properly strengthen and revive a squad - as when Liverpool sold Coutinho or Leicester sold Maguire. Even £50m is not that much these days at the top end of the game.

More could be said but I don't think Shi and co fully realise that the negative mindset building up around the club post Nuno is going to build and build if our best players are sold and inferior ones replace them. Lage already has a very tough job and it is so important that the club and supporters get fully behind him from the off.

Of course some will disagree with the above and say Neves is not that good, you can't do anything when a player gets a taste for a big move etc.. But at the end of the day my concern after last summer's awful transfer dealing is that the club could easily be on a slippery slope if it is not careful. We need a much stronger sound from the club about the future. The last conversations with Shi and co were welcome but the overall impression was one of stagnation and mid table mentality as being more than acceptable for now with a vague hope that young players will mature in the future etc. FFP or not the club needs to make sure this squad is good enough to compete. At the moment, only because of Jiminez and Neto returning at some point do I believe we should survive another season. But at the moment 'survive' seems good enough and that is a far cry from peak Nuno time when things looked so positive for the future.
There's lots of that I agree with and a lot I disagree with. Point 3 for me is completely wrong. I actually think him being sold is exactly what the project is about and more to the point a positive for players we do sign. The project is about bringing young players in who if they were 3-4 years older would be out of our reach, we develop them and they move on. I imagine every young Portuguese kid in an academy eyes light up when they see the career progression we have given Jota, Neves, Neto and to an extent Silva. A huge part of the project is being a UK version of Ajax where young players come knowing it's a brilliant shop window to the big boys.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't want him to go, it's nothing to do with sentimentality.....he's just a very very good footballer. I think he has been massively under-rated this season by many on here purely because he's stopped scoring worldies. A lot of what he does goes unnoticed. Finding another player with his ability to receive balls under pressure, control, pass, receive, move won't be easy.....I'd prefer to keep the one we've got thanks.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see a single positive in selling Neves. I'm absolutely gutted that it seems Fosun will be selling him to Arsenal and I think they've read the room incredibly poorly on this.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see a single positive in selling Neves. I'm absolutely gutted that it seems Fosun will be selling him to Arsenal and I think they've read the room incredibly poorly on this.
They are businessmen. They didn't create a $100B empire out of sentimentality. It's why fans shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the decision making at a club

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was clear Neves and Jota were our stars in the Championship, and that they'd move on within a few years.

All I ask is that we be difficult in negotiations and get some true value out of selling Neves, if we're going to sell him. Anything below £45m is a joke. Would look at how the likes of Leicester and even Southampton deal with other clubs when they come and poach their stars. Even Villa demanded huge money for Grealish before he was any good.

Need to stand firm and not just think because he cost £15m four years ago, doubling that is good profit. Recognise his value and potential like the buying club will be doing.

Him scoring a thronker at the EUROs will add a few million to his price tag I'm sure but it shouldn't need that.

Overall, we're already one, maybe two centre mids short. So if we're going to sell the one who's our best by a country mile... big reinvestment needed.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are businessmen. They didn't create a $100B empire out of sentimentality. It's why fans shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the decision making at a club
But surely selling him during a pandemic when all players' values have dropped isn't the best business.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless we'd progressed season on season and were heading in to our third year of European competition, there was no way he'd have been staying forever.

The day we signed him was the day we planned to sell him on in my opinion. I've a sneaky suspicion that anything resembling a low fee was part of the deal in the first instance, we did pay under market value for Neves to begin with.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he goes, as long as we get decent money to replace them with players lage thinks will fit what he wants to do I'm not really bothered.

Yes, so long as we get decent money and spend it wisely in players ready to improve the first XI, no problems with that.

Brilliant on his day, but those days got less and less over the last couple of seasons. What has happened to his shooting and free kick taking? The latter is done when the game is stopped, the excuse of it being a higher level than the Championship doesn't cut it. Somethings gone awry as while being a very good player, I don't think he has got to the level you'd have predicted 2 years ago. Declined or (given a goal and assist on his PL debut that he can't do now) stagnated, at best. Whether down to him or the coaching, somethings not been right for a while there.

Remains to be seen whether his career gets back on track with Bruno or elsewhere. Would feel worse for me if we sold Neto, Raul, Boly or Traore, possibly even Rui. I'd take selling Neves this summer if we get to keep all those!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think it will be the disaster people are making out

Yes he is a very good player
Yes he is part of the project originally set out by Fosun
No he didnt have a great season last season, along with most of the team
Does he want to leave? Signs are that he does but nothing concrete

Will we get what hes worth? Probably not with the current climate in football,but we have to get £40 million plus surely
Will we sell to a potential rival,well yes if the price is right,there are decent options out there for that kind of money no doubt

Is the project stalling,again it probably is,but for at most next season in my opinion
Keeping him for the sake of it wont work,if he wants to go then let him,no one is irreplaceable,as much as we love him we knew he would move at some point

Bruno has a big job on his hands,keeping our best players, if he can persuade them to stay,and bringing in new players on a very limited budget this season
It may well be he has to sell to buy,and that means one of Neves or Traore will go, possibly even both
I dont see that as a massive negative,just the natural progression and evolution of the team and style of play really

Would i like them to stay,well Neves in particular yes,but not if his heart isnt in it any more,we have already had him longer than i thought we would tbh

D

Deleted member 11332

Yes, so long as we get decent money and spend it wisely in players ready to improve the first XI, no problems with that.

Brilliant on his day, but those days got less and less over the last couple of seasons. What has happened to his shooting and free kick taking? The latter is done when the game is stopped, the excuse of it being a higher level than the Championship doesn't cut it. Somethings gone awry as while being a very good player, I don't think he has got to the level you'd have predicted 2 years ago. Declined or (given a goal and assist on his PL debut that he can't do now) stagnated, at best. Whether down to him or the coaching, somethings not been right for a while there.

Remains to be seen whether his career gets back on track with Bruno or elsewhere. Would feel worse for me if we sold Neto, Raul, Boly or Traore, possibly even Rui.

He's a different player now to the one in the championship. He isn't 3/4 steps ahead of the players in the PL so has had to adapt his game. He's very much a defensive midfielder now imo. The shooting thing is mad though, probably a confidence thing and when he nails one it'll let the pressure off.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You make some excellent points and I very much agree with your 1-10. Unless Neves is absolutely adamant he wants to go we should do as you say, make him captain, give him an improved longer contract and tell him we are going to build the team around him. If we have to sell someone to raise funds he should be the last to go.

Neves is an established international with a top team with his best years ahead of him and there is no way we should sell him on the cheap. That said, if he is determined to leave, £50m with add ons should be the absolute minimum we consider.

Last edited:

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for the best players leaving....that's sadly just football for any non-classical/man City team.

Hazard left Chelsea
Overmars/Anelka left the title winners Arsenal
Coutinho/Suarez left Liverpool
Ronaldo left Man Utd
Maguire/Kante/Chilwell left Leicester

It's not the leaving that's important, it's the ability to have a robust scouting setup that can see you bring in a better replacement. And that's where we definitely need to improve.

Neves WILL leave this summer. And that's fine; we just need some quality replacements
You are right but all those you quote left for mega fees. If Neves did too and went to a top team I think most on here would accept it but we definitely do not want to sell him on the cheap to a rival.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling Neves will be a disaster.

Selling Neves for under £50m will be a major disaster.

Very few positives would come from his sale if it happens. Sure, we ‘could’ unearth another gem, but this coming season already has a lot ‘if’s’ and ‘maybes’ resting on it. Let’s not add another one to it.

Selling your best fit player is never a sensible idea. Just look at the effect of selling Jota had on us over the season, a class act, who was probably only our 5th best player at that current time.

D

Deleted member 11332

You are right but all those you quote left for mega fees. If Neves did too and went to a top team I think most on here would accept it but we definitely do not want to sell him on the cheap to a rival.

How can 32m be mega fees and 35m be cheap to a rival. Make it make sense.

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
Anyone want to buy a ‘we’ve got Neves’ or a ‘Nuno’ T shirt. Size small, hardly worn?
Or swap for a ‘Bruno’ T shirt already available from the club shop.
A sure sign that things move on!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you get 4 years out of a signing I reckon that's the best you can expect. Especially with an overseas player. Good luck to Neves, he's played his socks off for us, and if he does go we'll make a 20 mil profit.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Why do people keep throwing out the line that you don't sell your best players if you want to be successful? It's demonstrably nonsense. Complete rubbish. If you stop players leaving then you are less attractive to top quality talent and you'll just attract the same quality as other midtable provincial clubs.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people keep throwing out the line that you don't sell your best players if you want to be successful? It's demonstrably nonsense. Complete rubbish. If you stop players leaving then you are less attractive to top quality talent and you'll just attract the same quality as other midtable provincial clubs.
Agree completely.

we, as fans, understandably become attached to the best players, but that doesn't mean they should stay at all costs. We just get stale that way

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who out there would you RATHER have in the team in CM that we could get for £16m?

Assuming we won’t spend the full amount we recoup on his replacement and will likely buy a player at a similar price to our initial outlay on Neves.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who out there would you RATHER have in the team in CM that we could get for £16m?

Assuming we won’t spend the full amount we recoup on his replacement and will likely buy a player at a similar price to our initial outlay on Neves.
I recon we could easily afford a net spend of 35-50 Mill this window without stepping out of line even with UEFAS FFP rules.
Why Jeff Shi says something else must have alternative motives.
We sell either Neves or Traore..we should sell Neves all day long for me if we "have" to sell one..then we should be looking towards incoming of about 100 Mill.

Neves seems overrated by many on this site IMO.We have a transfer kitty of 80-100 Mill this season with him getting sold then we will have ample ammunition not just to replace Ruben but also to strenghten certain areas rest of the squad.

Joao and perhaps Rui also leaving will additionaly leave alot of room wages wise.

It is about evolution and not standing still.Unfortunately that is exactly was Neves has done last 18 months.

Onwards,Upwards..hey?

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recon we could easily afford a net spend of 35-50 Mill this window without stepping out of line even with UEFAS FFP rules.
Why Jeff Shi says something else must have alternative motives.
We sell either Neves or Traore..we should sell Neves all day long for me if we "have" to sell one..then we should be looking towards incoming of about 100 Mill.

Neves seems overrated by many on this site IMO.We have a transfer kitty of 80-100 Mill this season with him getting sold then we will have ample ammunition not just to replace Ruben but also to strenghten certain areas rest of the squad.

Joao and perhaps Rui also leaving will additionaly leave alot of room wages wise.

It is about evolution and not standing still.Unfortunately that is exactly was Neves has done last 18 months.

Onwards,Upwards..hey?
what more would you have liked neves to have done?

Back
Top Bottom