Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So Neves.....

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that’s not a source. It’s an example to describe the mechanism

It is the source that was being quoted, stop wumming me, I've not given an opinion on the 35M one way or another and you're just making yourself look confused.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest critic I have for Nuno was almost the criminal way in which he turned Neves only on a type of midfielder who makes long passes and long shots. If he stays hope Lage tries to develop him in other areas. Can’t believe he wants to go for Spurs.

I think Neves's style of play being moulded by his idol, Pirlo, means he wants to play deep and dictate games with his passing. I don't ever see him suddenly playing further up the pitch, or playing as a box-to-box type of midfielder, so I wouldn't necessarily criticise Nuno for that. I do however, genuinely believe he would thrive in a more possession based system.

My hope is that, if he stays, Lage uses him as the cornerstone of this team. In his system at Benfica, Julian Weigl often dropped very deep to pick up the ball almost as a sweeper creating a back three, with the two centre backs splitting wide and the full backs playing as wing backs, similar to how Guardiola utilises Fernandinho. Often times I think Coady became useless in Nuno's back five, because of how deep Neves was coming to receive the ball.

The other midfielder in Lage's system was more attacking with a license to roam (Taarabt), which I think is something we lack. We have a lot of very similarly moulded midfielders in Dendoncker, Moutinho and Neves, so whichever pairing is used it often seems to lack dynamism as none of them want to carry the ball and they often want to occupy the same positions, especially when Neves and Moutinho were paired together.

I think if we were to pair Neves with a more dynamic box-to-box midfielder with the confidence to carry the ball and link with the front four, it would be far more balanced. The dream would be somebody like Renato Sanches, but realistically I think long term Vitinha could definitely develop into that type of player if they decide to buy him.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was 100% the deal, James Pearce is solid as a rock. They paid £4M last year when cashflow was tight
I’m not disputing the deal. I’m disputing that they turned down the chance to pay £35m but instead paid £10m extra to pay in instalments. It’s the £35m...

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest critic I have for Nuno was almost the criminal way in which he turned Neves only on a type of midfielder who makes long passes and long shots. If he stays hope Lage tries to develop him in other areas. Can’t believe he wants to go for Spurs.
Absolutely spot on sir.

He made him *******ise his natural game in the last season to help try and give extra defensive solidity

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I’m not disputing the deal. I’m disputing that they turned down the chance to pay £35m but instead paid £10m extra to pay in instalments. It’s the £35m...
No they did exactly that, they wanted 4M upfront so Wolves added a £10M over 4 years to the fee.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow ok, calm down gents.

anyway, to try and divert from personal insults, does anyone know when the Portuguese Euro lads (including Neves) are back in training? I see Rui was training with Roma today and Joao Palinhna played for sporting tonight so I’m assuming it’s imminent (subject to UK quarantine etc)

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow ok, calm down gents.

anyway, to try and divert from personal insults, does anyone know when the Portuguese Euro lads (including Neves) are back in training? I see Rui was training with Roma today and Joao Palinhna played for sporting tonight so I’m assuming it’s imminent (subject to UK quarantine etc)

From what I've seen players usually get 2 weeks off I think, depending on how early/late they got knocked out will determine when they come back, there's also any covid isolation issues to add too I guess.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow ok, calm down gents.

I did wonder if they may join up with the squad when they go to Spain next week maybe. No point coming back just to be in quarentine, then fly to the Spanish camp ?

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did wonder if they may join up with the squad when they go to Spain next week maybe. No point coming back just to be in quarentine, then fly to the Spanish camp ?
Actually you’ve just triggered a memory about someone saying the same thing a week or so ago…. So you’re probably right. Makes sense

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow ok, calm down gents.

Has to be imminent along with Donck. Adama will be another week or probably join the group in Spain.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I guess straight to Spain for ;

Nelson
Ruben
Joao
Traore
Dendoncker

And Sa ?

Maybe not Coady though.

Belfast Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes I guess straight to Spain for ;

Nelson
Ruben
Joao
Traore
Dendoncker

And Sa ?

Maybe not Coady though.
Article in the Athletic on return dates. 4 Portugal players at Compton on 19th and fly to Spain with rest of squad. Donck joins them in Spain on 19th as does Mosquera. Coady and Adama return on 26th

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Article in the Athletic on return dates. 4 Portugal players at Compton on 19th and fly to Spain with rest of squad. Donck joins them in Spain on 19th as does Mosquera. Coady and Adama return on 26th
Thank you. I don’t subscribe so thanks for posting

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
arsenal fans spitting feathers that they're spending 50m on ben white, and not bissouma

also sounds like they'd rather go for sanches or locatelli than Ruben. And Ian Wright would prefer to keep Xhaka than sign him

where will he end up i wonder? it's gonna be spurs isn't it

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
arsenal fans spitting feathers that they're spending 50m on ben white, and not bissouma

also sounds like they'd rather go for sanches or locatelli than Ruben. And Ian Wright would prefer to keep Xhaka than sign him

where will he end up i wonder? it's gonna be spurs isn't it

Going nowhere IMO.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

I’d prefer if he stayed but if he does he needs some mobility next to him.

saying that we need more mobility in the centre mid positions regardless if he stays or goes.

R

reanswolf

I’d prefer if he stayed but if he does he needs some mobility next to him.

saying that we need more mobility in the centre mid positions regardless if he stays or goes.
Bang on, I hope Wolves have recognised this, I may well be wrong, but if he does not go I have a nagging feeing we will still have the same midfield that struggled non-existently last year.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its talkSPORT, who recently stated that Grealish’s move to City was close…

And what’s happened there? Absolutely stuff all!
Wouldn't rule it out. In recent months they've had a pretty decent track record for Utd according to their fans.

They broke the news on Woodward leaving, were amongst the first to break news on Cavani for them, and were the first to report about their new DoF too.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if that’s the case, we will have rolling SSN coverage of this for the next 12 months until he eventually moves!

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves is a class midfielder and his stats (see the Summer Transfers thread) for tackles, passing and mobility are better than both Kante and Pogba. The reason he is seen as less mobile is due to Nuno's defensive-oriented system. Lage wants a high line and high press, so he will be further upfield on average, which should mean more long-range shots and more goals from those, like in the Championship. These media rumours about Arsenal and Manure sniffing around him are because he is very good, but he is our vice-captain and, if Coady is not to Lage's taste, then Ruben will become captain.

He should NOT be sold. Period!!!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Neves is a class midfielder and his stats (see the Summer Transfers thread) for tackles, passing and mobility are better than both Kante and Pogba. The reason he is seen as less mobile is due to Nuno's defensive-oriented system. Lage wants a high line and high press, so he will be further upfield on average, which should mean more long-range shots and more goals from those, like in the Championship. These media rumours about Arsenal and Manure sniffing around him are because he is very good, but he is our vice-captain and, if Coady is not to Lage's taste, then Ruben will become captain.

He should NOT be sold. Period!!!
Completely untrue.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Would you back this up?
Pogba per 90 passing raw number and percentile
Progressive Passes6.09
88​

Progressive Carries6.52
89​

Dribbles Completed2.03
96​

Touches (Att Pen)3.05
94​

Progressive Passes Rec4.68
92​

Neves per 90
Passes Attempted62.90
79​

Pass Completion %83.9%
47​

Progressive Passes4.63
64​

Progressive Carries3.89
46​

Dribbles Completed0.37
7​

Touches (Att Pen)0.83
37​

Progressive Passes Rec1.11
25​

Tbf they are massively different players, so it's a silly comparison but you brought it up. Pogba's an attacking midfielder really and Neves a defensive one.

Neves defensive stats
Pressures19.65
66​

Tackles2.87
80​

Interceptions1.42
61​

Blocks2.44
95​

Clearances1.73
70​

Aerials won0.93
39​

Kante
Pressures20.26
73​

Tackles3.33
92​

Interceptions2.50
98​

Blocks2.47
97​

Clearances1.40
54​

Aerials won0.85
35​

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We already need a central midfielder so if we sell our best one, which Neves is, we will need to spend that money to buy two.

It's not like getting away with a dodgy full back, it's a properly make or break position.

Will be interesting. Don't want to see him go, but if it's Man Utd, what a move that is for him.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as we get someone comparable I will be happy.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Irrespective of who we sign or don't I'm very disappointed we haven't got more of next years squad at the training camp. I appreciate the window doesn't move that much till August but it's essential we get settled with a new manager and likely a higher than average squad turnover.

Back
Top Bottom