Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

SIGNED: Matheus Cunha (Athletico Madrid)

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question!

We’re struggling to score goals, in particular we’re struggling for a striker to score goals. We decide to spend £43m on Cunha.
Why?

Mendes carousel

The guy couldn't get in the Madrid team, there's no way we should be paying £40 mill for an out of favour player, just like there was no reason to pay £35mill for a kid, or £30mill plus for a right back

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
Genuine question!

We’re struggling to score goals, in particular we’re struggling for a striker to score goals. We decide to spend £43m on Cunha.
Why?
I just hope he is part of the Lopetegui jigsaw, and when more pieces are put together we will see the best of Cunha. He certainly is not a centre forward but hoping he will play off a forward and link play, we will see.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes carousel

The guy couldn't get in the Madrid team, there's no way we should be paying £40 mill for an out of favour player, just like there was no reason to pay £35mill for a kid, or £30mill plus for a right back
His agents are “Bertolucci Sports”, are they linked to Gestifute? Genuine question.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments here are laughable.

Cunha is class and was linked with teams way above us.

Put a better squad around him and he’ll be a star.
Was he? I thought it was between us, Leeds and Everton?

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

This!

I think we saw glimpses of Cunha’s true ability in the Villa match where he went on 2 brilliant runs, both times going past multiple Villa players.

Put him with a more mobile CF and I think we will reap the benefits.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1685269757058.png

This was just too much to resist.

(my honest view is that the fees paid possibly arent real, inflated somehow and for some reason)

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As part of the carousel, Benfica should be sending us some of the Enzo Fernandez monies for Guedes this Summer. That's how it works,right, when one of the associated clubs needs cash?

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

If that is the case (which I think it probably is), then you can see why JL has reacted the way he has.

It’s more than plausible that JL had a clear vision of what is required from his perspective. Possible that he had players in mind but couldn’t get them all in January, either due to money or club not prepared to release until end of season.

If he was promised that money would be there, as and when, only to find, that now it isn’t, he has effectively been sold short and left at “halfway house”.

If he had known the situation was going to arise, in January, he may well have spent the money differently. For example, Cunha may not have been where the bulk of the money went, knowing that he would not be as effective without the other players he had in mind. Only surmising but may not be far off the mark.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its clear he presses really well from the front and drives forward well. I still think Lopetegui's theory was we werent creating enough and Cunha would help fix that. He did it to a point but not enough.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its clear he presses really well from the front and drives forward well. I still think Lopetegui's theory was we werent creating enough and Cunha would help fix that. He did it to a point but not enough.
Cunha plays well with other forward to compliment him like Costa. Guess that with be Sasa or Fabio

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He started well when there were strikers - Hwang goal at Liverpool and Raul goal at Forest in cups. My view is he’ll be fine with the right pairing.

Not clear to me which striker we need but it is a mobile striker who can win and hold the ball, play 1-2s, and makes runs into 6 yard box.

Silva if he has learnt how to win/hold up ball. Sasa if fit and is mobile enough with a good touch.
Gyorkes if we can afford him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But clearly didn't make an attempt to sign him, otherwise he wouldn't be at Wolves. Paper/media talk doesn't always equate to genuine interest.
If we was to sell Cunha would we get €50m for him? Probably €30 at the most Jorge ripped us again

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that is the case (which I think it probably is), then you can see why JL has reacted the way he has.

It’s more than plausible that JL had a clear vision of what is required from his perspective. Possible that he had players in mind but couldn’t get them all in January, either due to money or club not prepared to release until end of season.

If he was promised that money would be there, as and when, only to find, that now it isn’t, he has effectively been sold short and left at “halfway house”.

If he had known the situation was going to arise, in January, he may well have spent the money differently. For example, Cunha may not have been where the bulk of the money went, knowing that he would not be as effective without the other players he had in mind. Only surmising but may not be far off the mark.
I think this is very fair comment and something I hadn't considered. As you say, perhaps Loppy saw Cunha as part of his overall vision and could get him when he did, but others weren't available at that point. Now, his vision is different and perhaps Cunha isn't part of the changed picture! Interesting!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think he is a Mendes client though is he..?
No https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/matheus-cunha/profil/spieler/517894

Says his value is £30m yet we paid £45m ?? I’m sure Jorge was involved brokering the deal just like others who he’s not the agent of many fingers in many pies too much influence on the club for his own benefit. Now the ffp issue we are seeing the downside to this??

Cunha 1 goal the same contribution as Costa who cost £0.00. Hopefully we see better return next season

Yorkshire Wolf

Reaction score
No https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/matheus-cunha/profil/spieler/517894

Says his value is £30m yet we paid £45m ?? I’m sure Jorge was involved brokering the deal just like others who he’s not the agent of many fingers in many pies too much influence on the club for his own benefit. Now the ffp issue we are seeing the downside to this??

Cunha 1 goal the same contribution as Costa who cost £0.00. Hopefully we see better return next season
Inflation that mate

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfermarkt valuations are always based closer to reality, not the valuation that football clubs spend.
No, this is a distortion of the definition of reality! The reality is that he was not available for that price. That valuation is a speculation of what his cost will be. The reality is what the seller was prepared to accept and what the buyer is prepared to pay. There is no objective "value" of a player in a free market. It is not a computer game.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His agents are “Bertolucci Sports”, are they linked to Gestifute? Genuine question.

Athletico are part of the Mendes network, as are all the other clubs we have overpaid for players recently, I'm still waiting for the favour to be returned

Back
Top Bottom