Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheffield Utd verdict

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hugo Bueno gone all cryptic on Instagram posted picture “I will either find a way or make one” Sorry lad but you got RAN & Doc ahead of you

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to make it clear that that is your opinion, and that you're wrong.

Despite the gulf in quality shown particularly in the first half, we had two shots on target all game and they coped with our attacking threat well.

Going forward - and it's the old Premier League history - was their downfall. Awful end product. But to say they deserve no praise - what harm does it do?
I don't know what to praise. They had 8 men behind the ball most of the game. They didn't let us score at will.
We got a goal and didn't need to score. We struggled to threaten again, but we didn't need to.
I genuinely feel like I just watched the worst side to grace the premier league in a long time, against a side that got too complacent. We almost self-imploded at times and they couldn't take advantage.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought the same myself. Came out in the 2nd half and played like he didn’t want to be on the pitch.
Bloke next to me suggested Hwang picked up an injury in the warm up - anyone else see that ?
Yep, he did

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
I don't know what to praise. They had 8 men behind the ball most of the game. They didn't let us score at will.
We got a goal and didn't need to score. We struggled to threaten again, but we didn't need to.
I genuinely feel like I just watched the worst side to grace the premier league in a long time, against a side that got too complacent. We almost self-imploded at times and they couldn't take advantage.
Did you not think Ahmedhodzic had a good game?

If you're playing with 8 men behind the ball, it's the job of our team to break them down. They aren't obliged to play attractive football for our benefit.

If you can criticise them for anything it's their awful end product, but for a poor team quality wise they stayed in the game well, defended well and a couple of their players showed promise.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A very difficult watch,but still 3 points, yet again struggling against a side who sat in and played on the counter attack, our lack of movement up front today was particularly annoying though.

MOTM- The guy who won the 7.9k on the Astropay challenge at half time,me and my brother were talking of having a go,I think we'll leave it for a year or so now for the pot to build up again, I felt sorry for the bloke who went after him who was only playing for £100

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A very difficult watch, and let's be honest, playing the way we did we lose that against anyone else, probably even Burnley.
A moment of class for the goal but when our players watch that back I think they'll feel how we feel. Very lucky.
3 points is what matters though. Onwards and upwards. Come on me babbies.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahmedhodzic looked decent, and has been their best player for some time.

Hamer I thought was very poor - lightweight and did very little on the ball. Sheffield United fans have been mostly unimpressed with him.

Brewster was on a 'ten of the worst premier league signings playing currently' videos and actually finished even higher on the list than Fabio.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Decency, fair play and doing the right thing is commendable in my opinion.

It was immensely stupid, naive and risky!

They were the better side in the second half….. them created the best chances in the game other than the goal.

And last time with no shame they accepted, scored and celebrated like they won the World Cup a non penalty that they know was the wrong call.

This is elite/professional sport, I am sorry, you take everything that is given to you if it is with in the laws of the game.

He wasn’t injured!!!! Let alone a head injury.

You are happy our players got conned into accepting something that wasn’t even a foul because their keeper ****ed up???! The fact their defenders played on speaks volumes!!!!

Newcastle did it to us, others have done it in the last few years. Sorry, but you play to the whistle!

Stopping was 100% the wrong thing to do!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

They were the better side in the second half….. them created the best chances in the game other than the goal.

And last time with no shame they accepted, scored and celebrated like they won the World Cup a non penalty that they know was the wrong call.

This is elite/professional sport, I am sorry, you take everything that is given to you if it is with in the laws of the game.

You are happy our players got conned into accepting something that wasn’t even a foul because their keeper ****ed up???! The fact their defenders played on speaks volumes!!!!

Newcastle did it to us, others have done it in the last few years. Sorry, but you play to the whistle!

Idk mate, their keeper had obvious possession and was trying to kick it out. It would have been karmically awful to take a cheap goal there against the worst team in the league. I don't buy the analogy with their cheap penalty.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me the team had there mind on the upcoming games and were below par. They expected or were expected to win but they struggled. They have Brighton and Newcastle coming up, both difficult games and games against teams significantly better than Sheffield Utd. I expect an improvement in the Brighton game.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rewatching the game, and it's interesting....I think the manager was pushing Lemina up as a straight up 9 in possession...at least on a certain trigger or something. He is literally furthest forward looking to win knockdowns at several points.

I think that's pretty clever from the manager to try to find a way to take some physical load off Hwang, Neto, and Sarabia in terms of fighting with those CBs....really could have led to another goal too. It caught them off-guard.

I suspect I will see they adjusted for this at halftime.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you, I left it with the question mark as I couldn't recall any others, but agree with the points you've made. In itself, we've not been a team to smack another by 4 or 5 (when half expecting to do so) with any great regularity for years.

The pair of Huddersfield defeats the other year being another example.

It is a strange one, because we've gone through many players and several different managers and it's still much the same. It's not just the 4 or 5 goal wins, feels like we hardly ever win by 2! Wouldn't be surprised if since promotion, we've won fewer games by 2 goals than any teams, other than those that got relegated.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Watching the highlights, it does seem that Lemina was far forward, almost in the Cunha role. Sheff Utds one on one in the first half was a result of that. If that was an experiment to see how to adapt to Cunha's absence, I hope we don't do it again. Brighton will rack up a rugby score if we do!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rewatching the game, and it's interesting....I think the manager was pushing Lemina up as a straight up 9 in possession...at least on a certain trigger or something. He is literally furthest forward looking to win knockdowns at several points.

I think that's pretty clever from the manager to try to find a way to take some physical load off Hwang, Neto, and Sarabia in terms of fighting with those CBs....really could have led to another goal too. It caught them off-guard.

I suspect I will see they adjusted for this at halftime.
Yeah, in the second half they changed something that confused the team. Mario was gesturing a lot....showing for the ball and then not being used....

I can see why Gary said this was partially his fault. They were confused about something in a few phases of play at the back.

Honestly, there was a heck of a lot going on tactically in this game. Seems like a lot of new actions and triggers. The wingbacks were all over the place.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were decent first half but guilty of overplaying when in good positions.
Awful second half.
Sheff Utd definitely targeted Dawsons lack of pace and it worked, sad to say. Wouldnt be surprised to see Bueno play more and more games.

I love Ran but what position is he playing? It seems like he can roam where he wants.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman time and again, delayed passing the ball until opposition players were right on him then either hoofed it or played an awkward ball for someone else to deal with under pressure. Hopefully just a blip. I do think our players have a real issue preparing themselves against inferior opposition, no disrespect to SheffU.

I thought Kilman was very good first half, second half it was like they had sleeping tablets in their half time tea. None of our CH are particulalry blessed with speed and with our full backs playing so high up they struggled with balls in behind. I say the full backs played high up RAN was at RB, CM, at times - god knows what he was doing

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahmedhodzic looked decent, and has been their best player for some time.

Hamer I thought was very poor - lightweight and did very little on the ball. Sheffield United fans have been mostly unimpressed with him.

Brewster was on a 'ten of the worst premier league signings playing currently' videos and actually finished even higher on the list than Fabio.
Fair enough again I haven’t seen enough of Brewster.
On todays evidence Brewster looked quicker, sharper and more of a threat than Fabio ever has for us but I accept one swallow doesn’t make a summer

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brewster looks like he should be a good player but he isnt. Maybe something will just click with him like Solanke, but i doubt it.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Idk mate, their keeper had obvious possession and was trying to kick it out. It would have been karmically awful to take a cheap goal there against the worst team in the league. I don't buy the analogy with their cheap penalty.
Agree 100%. Earlier somebody referred to the Michael Branch goal against Forest which in my opinion was totally wrong. I suppose it all depends on whether you take the view that the end justify the means but personally I don’t like it when our players dive, feign injury etc.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Larouci I have seen a few times on tv and today was the first time I have seen him live. This was good as it confirmed my belief that he is absolutely terrible.
Hard to see today what all the fuss is about Mcatee

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasnt a head injury or even a serious injury! He had cramp FFS!!! So it was pure gamesmanship!

Injured and leaves the pitch I agree, but there was zero wrong with him!!!!

They didn’t refuse the pen they knew wasn’t a pen…. So sorry, they didn’t deserve your sense of “fair play” we should have scored! We wouldn’t have had any issues or criticism from anyone in the media as it wasn’t even an injury let alone a serious one.

This is elite sport, not a school boy/sunday league match. You take all chances when on offer

Newcastle scored against us when Sa had an issue….

Sorry, i applaud your sense of “fair play” but I hope that illusion isn’t shattered when the same is repeated to us like it happened before!!!
I get your frustration at the behaviour of others but it's not an illusion it's an attitude, a way to live or, in this case, a way to play. Personally I think it was, this time, the right thing to do.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would have been appalled if we had scored from that. The keeper was clearly trying to put it out and didn't even try and get back when he realised Sarabia had picked it up. And they were losing so hardly a time wasting tactic

VAR is VAR and entirely different. We've had a couple of dodgy penalties lately courtesy of Pedro and been happy to put them away

I'm sorry but you're arguing for the indefensible

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched the 'highlights' show of the game. It lasted 5 minutes and showed the two SU chances (Brewster and McAteer), before our first attempt on target (Sarabia's goal). The only two other Wolves chances shown were the shot just over the bar by Neto and the shot missing the far post from Sarabia. The fact that Sarabia's act of sportmanship or naivety (depending on your pov) was also shown as a 'highlight' shows just what a paucity of action the game threw up.
Of course, winning was the most important thing and 8th in the table looks great, but the match was crap. First half was better than the second half but that's a little like saying a headache is better than a migraine.
I hesitate to use the phrase Jeckyll and Hyde (although it has been used elsewhere), but from the highs of Everton, Chelsea and Spuds; we've had lows of Yernited, Brighton, Brentford and now Sheff in the last couple of months. I guess it's why we are a mid-table side, but developing a positive consistency would be so much more beneficial and enjoyable from my perspective.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get your frustration at the behaviour of others but it's not an illusion it's an attitude, a way to live or, in this case, a way to play. Personally I think it was, this time, the right thing to do.

He wasn’t injured and wasn’t a head injury……

It was cramp!

Stop IMMEDIATELY for head injury or serious injury, but sorry it was cramp or he faked injury so play on to the whistle in line with the laws outlined by the powers that be.

Not injured, you don’t stop!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have been appalled if we had scored from that. The keeper was clearly trying to put it out and didn't even try and get back when he realised Sarabia had picked it up. And they were losing so hardly a time wasting tactic

VAR is VAR and entirely different. We've had a couple of dodgy penalties lately courtesy of Pedro and been happy to put them away

I'm sorry but you're arguing for the indefensible

What couple of penalties?

We got one pen via Neto this season that was questionable, but was still more of a pen than some of them given against us as there was actually contact…..

The whole poibt of the matter is THE PLAYER WASNT INJURED!!!!

He faked cramp to stop us!! It wasn’t about time wasting, it was about stopping momentum and us scoring! Their defenders did actually play on! They also ran back to their line and the look they gave their keeper after it was was very angry, so they didn’t expect us to stop.

We should have scored… end of! They cheated us yet again!!

Don’t forget Newcastle scored against us when sa the keeper! The one who saves the goals was injured and the media and ex players said you play to the whistle!

They kicked us around yesterday and cheap fouls the ref didn’t deal with all afternoon and you feel we owe them to stop when they faked an injury to stop us playing as they were caught short? They cheated yet again! Second time this season they cheated in a significant moment that impacts the game.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I thought Kilman was very good first half, second half it was like they had sleeping tablets in their half time tea. None of our CH are particulalry blessed with speed and with our full backs playing so high up they struggled with balls in behind. I say the full backs played high up RAN was at RB, CM, at times - god knows what he was doing
RAN was everywhere but LB! CM, RW frequently! Very odd as it left the LB area exposed on numerous occasions.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What couple of penalties?

We got one pen via Neto this season that was questionable, but was still more of a pen than some of them given against us as there was actually contact…..

The whole poibt of the matter is THE PLAYER WASNT INJURED!!!!

He faked cramp to stop us!! It wasn’t about time wasting, it was about stopping momentum and us scoring! Their defenders did actually play on! They also ran back to their line and the look they gave their keeper after it was was very angry, so they didn’t expect us to stop.

We should have scored… end of! They cheated us yet again!!

Don’t forget Newcastle scored against us when sa the keeper! The one who saves the goals was injured and the media and ex players said you play to the whistle!

They kicked us around yesterday and cheap fouls the ref didn’t deal with all afternoon and you feel we owe them to stop when they faked an injury to stop us playing as they were caught short? They cheated yet again! Second time this season they cheated in a significant moment that impacts the game.
Totally agree with this.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were saying before the match what a good player RAN is, however he had no PL goals and no assists, so yesterday was a good time to change that!

Back
Top Bottom