Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheff Utd verdict

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Missed the final 30 minutes. Why was their 10 minutes of injury time? Did somebody break both legs or something? Of just the ref giving Sheff U a bit more time to dive for a penalty he was desperate to give?
I am pretty sure Sue Smith said there was going to be 6 minutes stoppage time when they went to her on 90 minutes.No doubt time wasting and the penalty review added to the extra added time .

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Just an observation yesterday.Gillett was on VAR at the Fulham v United game and had a wry smile to myself when he recommended the Referee to go and view the monitor as to whether Maguire had tried to play the ball before McTominay scored.In other words he wasn’t trying to re-referee the game or he couldn’t identify that misnomer’ a clear and obvious error but to show some common sense in making the recommendation that was clearly lacking last weekend .Stop hiding behind the get out of jail card and protecting your mates that we have been victims of and Dean’s pathetic defence of Taylor a few weeks ago.
I just don’t buy the conspiracy theories that referees are on the take but firmly believe that VAR has totally removed the 18th Law of the game,namely common sense.
Referees these days are robotic unsmiling automatons who are frightened of their own shadows .

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Started around 1939.....FA Cup Final against a side in a lower division!
Doesn't matter who the manager or what players are on the field it's the " Wolves way" .... so annoyingly predictable.
Awful game in awful conditions, we overplayed it in the first half ( RAN and Semedo particularly guilty) and just need to shoot!
I thought it was more of a penalty than last week and Fabio didn't need to put a foot in but I was more peeved at his total misscue of his " header" which he should of buried.
Predicted we'd concede from another defensive lapse and so it proved even though I thought we'd win 1-3...... after 50 years supporting Wolves ( mostly from my armchair) I really should know better.
Portsmouth were in Division one, as we were, for that Cup Final.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Portsmouth were in Division one, as we were, for that Cup Final.
1921 vs spurs fa cup final at stamford bridge another game we was cheated out of

We definitely need more of Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland extract to enhance their stamina and performance of our players?!

fleck1

Reaction score
Game of two halves, we were bright, sharp and in control first half but wasteful in the final 3rd.
Second half we were second to everything and never really got going but neither goalkeeper was really troubled for 90 mins. We are a midtable side we've been in good form and playing well so this sort of performance was coming.
People choosing to bag Fabio again is a little odd, he was brought on for 10mins at the end and was no better or worse than anyone else.
The penalty and VAR I just give up, like GON has said what's the point talking about it anymore. Corruption, bias or incompetence I don't know but it's rapidly ruining everyone's enjoyment of football.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m usually livid with a loss and even more when VAR is involved but I’m strangely relaxed tonight like I’ve resigned myself that football has changed and it isn’t hurting as much? I’m not sure why but I do feel a bit less bothered about the game lately. VAR certainly hasn’t helped and has taken a lot of my enjoyment away from the game.
I’m a little like that tbh, although it’s more because I expected us to lose to the worst team in the league - them earning their first win of the season. For that reason, I’m relaxed about yesterday’s result and am thankful we have points on the board.

I have been incensed by VAR/officials though. We definitely seem to get more contentious ones go against us than others, but the lack of consistency in matches and across all games is embarrassing for our ‘professional’ officials. Ruined my love of the game to an extent too.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s surprising to me how many people don’t take the weather into consideration after a bad performance. The conditions were pretty bad which makes it far more difficult to actually play football giving a team like Sheff Utd a chance to turn it into a scrap. Not an excuse just possibly one of many reasons.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio was very poor against palace but i have seen him play much better. I don't know if it is a confidence issue mixed with him not wanting to be here.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ups and downs of following your club.Hell of a journey up to get beat with last kick of the game .
Seasoned pro's see that game out.
Ait Nouri committing a foul throw in To give them the advantage. Embarrassing.
Just take the point.
Silva just looks totally out of his depth. Pen or no pen you just don't stick your leg out like that.

loppers86

Reaction score
i think this game, performance and post match interviews have finally confirmed something about GON for me.

another second half implosion and
out managed this time by Heckingbottom.

it seems when we play against a coach with a fixed and predictable style of play (pep, emery, iraola, dyche) then we do well, because Gary knows what to expect and prepares for it well.

when he comes up against klopp, de zerbi, roy or heckingbottom who actively manage in-game then he
really doesn’t know what to do and
his team descends into a rabble.

obviously this is due to his inexperience, and doing well against city and villa isn’t a bad place to be.

my fear is that he’s going to get worked out… and we have probably seen peak-GON already.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a side note how come Gomes isn’t getting played anymore? I used to rate him
He did have a couple of mediocre games, and both Traore and Doyle have been doing well.
But I do think he should be back in the starting lineup for the next game.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Genuinely had to wait until today to post and still fuming

A few thoughts

First half decent but we have to be more clinical

Second half shocking, but we should have been finishing the game with one point and moaning about an abject second half

Anyone who criticised the club having a fire sale of players in the summer think again. Do you honestly believe with the current evidence infront of you that if wolves breached FFP rules they would be in years or dispute, or 20 point ban instantly. I think sadly we all know the answer here

On the referee. You have var to help you, therefore only call a pen if categorically certain. Then if you’ve missed it var can intervene. The fact he stood there after the match saying it was a penalty shows the greatest arrogance possible and equally shows the characters we have in charge. I feel this is part of the issue. Big ego, poor character, control freaks and guess what inability to show humility, admit they are wrong or suggest their colleagues are wrong. The character is terrible.

Baldock like schar the week before should face a two match ban, cheating pure and simple and he also should have been sent off already anyway.

Var - if that isn’t clewr and obvious nothing is.

It’s a worrying pattern that Newcastle seem to have var decisions their way (wolves and arsenal plus guimares has dodged two red cards now). I wonder why

I can only deduce the Pgmol and prem league have minimal sympathy or like of wolves. Because for twelve months they are too quick to give big decisions against us and incapable of overturning when clearly wrong (according to football neutrals not wolves fans).

All the press is aboit arsenal, but this is 4 games this season where we’ve lost points because of appalling var decisions. I have no idea what we can do, but it smells bad

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As has been said, decent first half, not so decent second half.
However, we should be coming away from there with a point because ,again we have had another shocking decision go against us.
Anyone thinking that was a penalty has never played (even) watched a game of football.
The SU player moves his leg out of line of the ball trying to initiate contact , and was already on his way down in doing so. Fabia plants his foot next to SU players foot (side by side, not on) who continues the dive. How VAR do not over turn that is astonishing.
Last week and this were both dives and yellow cards.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely had to wait until today to post and still fuming

A few thoughts

First half decent but we have to be more clinical

Second half shocking, but we should have been finishing the game with one point and moaning about an abject second half

Anyone who criticised the club having a fire sale of players in the summer think again. Do you honestly believe with the current evidence infront of you that if wolves breached FFP rules they would be in years or dispute, or 20 point ban instantly. I think sadly we all know the answer here

On the referee. You have var to help you, therefore only call a pen if categorically certain. Then if you’ve missed it var can intervene. The fact he stood there after the match saying it was a penalty shows the greatest arrogance possible and equally shows the characters we have in charge. I feel this is part of the issue. Big ego, poor character, control freaks and guess what inability to show humility, admit they are wrong or suggest their colleagues are wrong. The character is terrible.

Baldock like schar the week before should face a two match ban, cheating pure and simple and he also should have been sent off already anyway.

Var - if that isn’t clewr and obvious nothing is.

It’s a worrying pattern that Newcastle seem to have var decisions their way (wolves and arsenal plus guimares has dodged two red cards now). I wonder why

I can only deduce the Pgmol and prem league have minimal sympathy or like of wolves. Because for twelve months they are too quick to give big decisions against us and incapable of overturning when clearly wrong (according to football neutrals not wolves fans).

All the press is aboit arsenal, but this is 4 games this season where we’ve lost points because of appalling var decisions. I have no idea what we can do, but it smells bad
Because Arsenal is much bigger than Wolves. As are Liverpool when they had the goal disallowed recently They are renown football clubs and followed all over the world, so more people care. This is why I believe that Wolves, acting alone will have little or no effect. Too few care. We need to build alliances with the other 13 "smaller" clubs which are all getting poor official decisions against them, to make us a louder voice.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Because Arsenal is much bigger than Wolves. As are Liverpool when they had the goal disallowed recently They are renown football clubs and followed all over the world, so more people care. This is why I believe that Wolves, acting alone will have little or no effect. Too few care. We need to build alliances with the other 13 "smaller" clubs which are all getting poor official decisions against them, to make us a louder voice.
Of course I get that.

The point was more to illustrate we are fighting a losing battle.

Interpretation of var (lose clear and obvious etc) won’t change unless Klopp arteta and pep ask for it. Doesn’t make it fair or right or not corrupt

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another annoying thing is how much current interpretation of the laws are at odds with the spirit of the game. BaldCock is going nowhere, 18 yards out, corner of the penalty area. The ball is bouncing around in difficult conditions. Sheff U are not in a goalscoring position. To have that situation changed to be given a free hit at goal from 12 yards , all because BaldCock collapses like a stuck pig, is absurd.

Perhaps an indirect free kick for minimal contact? Make the penalty area smaller? Or just book the ****** for diving?

floydstreet

Reaction score
Another annoying thing is how much current interpretation of the laws are at odds with the spirit of the game. BaldCock is going nowhere, 18 yards out, corner of the penalty area. The ball is bouncing around in difficult conditions. Sheff U are not in a goalscoring position. To have that situation changed to be given a free hit at goal from 12 yards , all because BaldCock collapses like a stuck pig, is absurd.

Perhaps an indirect free kick for minimal contact? Make the penalty area smaller? Or just book the ****** for diving?
Equally the speed and desperation the ref had to give it is alarming. It was a poor call, but also one he didn’t need to make. Have a breather, don’t react to the crowd and then if not sure, let var tell you if you’ve missed it.

But no the self centred ego takes over, instant call he couldn’t and didn’t see clearly and then even worse an arrogant refusal to admit a mistake after. Literally looked desperate to give a pen.

Funny pretty sure wouldn’t be if other end or wolves vs Saudi.

We will find out in the future that the Saudi PIF is sponsoring the PGMOL

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Equally the speed and desperation the ref had to give it is alarming. It was a poor call, but also one he didn’t need to make. Have a breather, don’t react to the crowd and then if not sure, let var tell you if you’ve missed it.

But no the self centred ego takes over, instant call he couldn’t and didn’t see clearly and then even worse an arrogant refusal to admit a mistake after. Literally looked desperate to give a pen.

I just saw highlights of the Newcastle /Arsenal game. Looks a tetchy match all round and that Newcastle got away with a lot. Hard to tell as Arsenal, are experts at play acting and bad sportsmanship. Does seem that Newcastle felt they could go in hard and get some leniancy. And for the Newcastle goal, the ball is clearly over the line - unless I've seen deep fake footage! That's an objective decision and hard to imagine them not disallowing that even for Liverpool/Man U. The game is getting more surreal by the week.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Players seem ****ed off seeing a few bits on social media. Hopefully this result creates an ‘us vs the world’ mentality.
Even the mild mannered Kilman mentioned it on Instagram. And Semedo apparently requested to speak to the media because he was so angry.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I suppose the silence emanating from the PGMOL is deafening.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Heard today that the ref association have said that audio from VAR decisions will not be aired or made available.

Funny that.
Well that'll make mic'ed a bit less interesting. Honestly the lack of transparency is disgusting. I wonder if it is still available to the broadcasters?

I mean you can see they'd want to because the Spurs v Liverpool one just made them look like absolute idiots, but maybe the solution is to stop talking like idiots rather than keeping it secret?

floydstreet

Reaction score
I’ve just read only one penalty decision from a ref has been overturned this season.

If accurate that’s on Howard Webb. He’s set the bar so crazily high that var can’t and won’t overturn the refs decision.

Use the technology to improve sporting justice, not to protect referees. Seriously it’s so easy and so obvious yet they decide to complicate it with clear and obvious, let the referee stay etc etc. use the technology to make correct and right decisions (even if against your refs) or don’t use it at all. There is no middle ground

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just read only one penalty decision from a ref has been overturned this season.

If accurate that’s on Howard Webb. He’s set the bar so crazily high that var can’t and won’t overturn the refs decision.

Use the technology to improve sporting justice, not to protect referees. Seriously it’s so easy and so obvious yet they decide to complicate it with clear and obvious, let the referee stay etc etc. use the technology to make correct and right decisions (even if against your refs) or don’t use it at all. There is no middle ground
Here’s an idea…. Get the VAR to come to a decision without even knowing what the on field ref gave!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard today that the ref association have said that audio from VAR decisions will not be aired or made available.

Funny that.
But if legal action was to start they would have to disclose them. Maybe worth a try on.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We dominated first half but didn't make it count - which usually ends up with getting punished for.

Sheffield had a good go at us second half and I thought we were poor with too many individuals giving below par performances.

Of course much talk about the penalty, but - apologies I can't find a replay - is there any explanation for why Baldock didn't get at least a yellow in the first minute when he smashed through RAN? First minute or not it was a horrible challenge and he also escaped a second yellow later in the game after he had been booked (& of course if he's second yellowed by then he doesn't win the penalty....)

Yet again we've been stuffed by the officials but also feel we far from helped ourselves with our second half performance and we were worryingly toothless without Neto

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was listening to a couple of ex pro's on 5 live and they both said it was never a penalty. The one said that anyone who had ever played the game knew it was not a foul. He pointed out that Baldock never appealed and leapt to his feet to try and win the ball back. A players reaction is always telling.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We like to give teams their firsts in the PL this season.

First point for Luton, first win for Sheffield United.

But more positively, we handed City their first defeat.

Spurs are unbeaten going into this weekend, so hopefully it will continue!!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if legal action was to start they would have to disclose them. Maybe worth a try on.
Is there any reason why legal action can’t be taken? We are talking about a global sport, worth billions, affecting so many people’s livelihoods and futures who work in it, yet the decision makers carry on with ineptitude, without explanation week after week.

So many things have to improve or legal action should be an option imo.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Few thoughts having gone

Sheffield United and I am sure they will read it as sour grapes but they are very poor, just long balls and their goalkeeper first half was terrible in terms of kicking rivalled Sa in terms of giving the ball away and yet we never took advantage

And that in itself is the problem.

I can join others in moaning about the ref but he was shocking for both teams there was a moment where Hwang won a freekick where the ref had his back to the actual tackle he just turned around and saw Hwang on the floor and gave a freekick which until the last minute I found funny.

Problem I have was the first half we were Walkitintothenet-hampton Wanderers and that is frustrating, this is a team who concede goals for fun and their goalkeeper cant pass straight, why cant one of our players recognise the frailty and take advantage, what happens if you miss? is it lashings? do you walk home ? It boggles my mind how this keeps happening week after week

Second half we were terrible, they needed the win and went on the front foot, we couldnt cope. Doyle as good as his set plays are seemed to have one foot in red and white and gave the ball away and I am not convinced he works alongside Lemina and would rather the Boub or Gomes be alongside him.

Gomes second half was specifically awful. Ait Nouri showed glimpses and it was clear game plan wise to put 3 on Hwang which alongside Cunha wandering didnt help. Sasa seemed to find every flick first half then was a shell the second.

Overall its classic Robin Hood Wolves. I feel sick every week at the standard at refs because 1) it hurts my team but 2) it excuses poor performances. Fabio being the vicitm of the penalty almost excuses the shocking sitter he missed where he was unmarked outside the six yard box and fluffed his lines. I was a big fan and will support the kid but I do think he is the last piece now of an old regime that has failed this club and would rather have 2 players like Belegarde who may or may not be good than suffer this kid and the vitriol abuse he gets every week. For all our sakes its time.

Still I remain confident-ish that if we stop Son and Maddison we can scrape a draw on saturday so we move.

Back
Top Bottom