Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheff Utd Verdict

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the recent performances are similar to the start of the season when we took a couple of months to really get going? It's looking quite similar to how we start every season slowly. We didn't exactly start like greyhounds last season, nor in the Championship, either. From memory I recall a narrow 1 goal wins against Boro, Hull and Barnsley. Defeats to Sheff U and Cardiff, all in the first few games. It wasn't till October and a few matches in that we really got going. And that was similar last season.. even later, if anything.

The 3 month layoff is far longer than any ever before. There is a pattern in us struggling to get going after a break. I really don't know *why* that would be, though. Something in the demands of our system made on the players? Hopefully, if the previous seasons are anything to go by, we'll hit peak form when the Europa League starts. :D

Last edited:

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the recent performances are similar to the start of the season when we took a couple of months to really get going? It's looking quite similar to me. We didn't exactly start like greyhounds last season, nor in the Championship, either. From memory I recall a narrow 1 goal wins against Boro, Hull and Barnsley. Defeats to Sheff U and Cardiff, all in the first few games. It wasn't till October and a few matches in that we really got going. And that was similar last season.. even later, if anything.

The 3 month layoff is far longer than any ever before. There is a pattern in us struggling to get going after a break. I really don't know *why* that would be, though. Something in the demands of our system made on the players? Hopefully, if the previous seasons are anything to go by, we'll hit peak form when the Europa League starts. :D

Read the Wolves report and Nuno thinks we played well, certainly better than v Arsenal. Thinks we unbalanced them and created chances. Last season we were terrible after the international breaks so you may have a somewhat mysterious point!

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It appears we were only interested in getting a draw from this match. Our team look tired all the time. I would have expected Rui to go out for the last corner to at least save our aim, that of getting a point and keep the Blades out of our reach.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read the Wolves report and Nuno thinks we played well, certainly better than v Arsenal. Thinks we unbalanced them and created chances. Last season we were terrible after the international breaks so you may have a somewhat mysterious point!

In the first half we almost certainly did play better than against Arsenal. It was arguably the brightest first half we've had recently. Which is not saying much, but most who watched it think we edged the first half. Not the second half, though, that was awful throughout. For the first time for years, I was thinking of just switching off, at around 70 minutes, because it was just so dull and it was clear we were not even going to threaten, let alone score.

Yes, that's a fair point on the international breaks. It does seem we play better when the team is together playing lots of matches close together. The Europa League tournament should suit us, if we get past Olimpiakos.

Yamalritee

Reaction score
It’s annoying because when you listen to other fans of teams that we play they are genuinely scared of our attacking force but at the moment we just seem too passive. When we counter attack we don’t get the numbers up the field.

We were in a position where we didn’t have to be cautious with our play against Arsenal or Sheffield United. We could of taken the game to them. I know that’s not how we play but if we ever do make the step up for the top four that’s what we’ll need to do a lot more.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since the re-start I think the team just looks stale. The same players doing the same thing. Not really challenged for their places. The fact that Traore wasn't hooked after doing his shoulder, which clearly affected his performance, would suggest there is little confidence or trust in those on the subs bench.

Upping the tempo in the first half seemed to drain their energy and I think the lack of goals and the team probably wondering when or if they will score has to be draining on the team as well.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who, sadly, looks to be prone to injury.

He's been fit for a while now to be fair and on the bench every game since we returned a few weeks ago. Seems Nuno isnt going to give certain players much time on the pitch and they are just sat on the bench to make up the numbers judging by yesterdays lack of substitutions. A real shame as I think some of them could make an impact and freshen things up.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been fit for a while now to be fair and on the bench every game since we returned a few weeks ago. Seems Nuno isnt going to give certain players much time on the pitch and they are just sat on the bench to make up the numbers judging by yesterdays lack of substitutions. A real shame as I think some of them could make an impact and freshen things up.

Yeh..I've mentioned elsewhere that Traore not being hooked when his injury was clearly affecting his performance suggests there isn't a lot of confidence in the new players on the bench, and that the first XI are pretty safe in their jobs.

Reaction score
Yes, I have. When we're losing generally.

Can you answer the question instead of twisting it and trying to make dramatic statements.

In my opinion, we have an excellent team that should be exciting to watch. We're not. We are a counter-attack team or play when we're losing, which is the reason why we have a dismal record against any half-decent side this season. It's also why we don't do anything in the first-half of ANY game.

In the current campaign, we are;

W4-D13-L7

Against the sides in 15th or above.

We have collected over 50% of our points against the bottom five teams in the league.

These are clear trends and it's pretty obvious that we have major problems when you analyse it properly - if you are judging us as a team that should be competing for a top 6 finish - which I am.

But we are in the top 6

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of you lot are an absolute shambles.

Losing away (in the last minute of injury time might I add) against a top 10 Premier League side, and you all **** your pants. Get a grip lads, and some perspective please... less than 4 years ago we drew 0-0 at home against Ipswich in front of less than 20k. Now we're in Europe, playing in front of full houses, and comfortably top 10 in the Premier League!

Great points and ones we should all remember.

But, I think a huge contribution to the frustration is winning these two games would have gone a long way to securing these players (and more importantly Nuno) for another season, therefore allowing us to build and push on again. That’s certainly what’s frustrated me the most.

Losing 3-4 players this summer, which could realistically happen, will undoubtedly cause us to stand still at best for a season or two if not knock us off course a little.

M

merseawolf

But, I think a huge contribution to the frustration is winning these two games would have gone a long way to securing these players (and more importantly Nuno) for another season, therefore allowing us to build and push on again. That’s certainly what’s frustrated me the most.

Losing 3-4 players this summer, which could realistically en, will undoubtedly cause us to stand still at best for a season or two if not knock us off course a little.
Why will we undoubtedly stand still. Players come and go. Others come in and could make us a better team. Have a bit of faith!!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Losing 3-4 players this summer, which could realistically happen, will undoubtedly cause us to stand still at best for a season or two if not knock us off course a little.

Very many fans pointed out how Thelwell, if he was the main man, had failed miserably in the transfer market. Jota said at the start of the season how difficult it was going to be to match the previous season's achievements. Therein lay a very early tell tale sign that the club had not improved in the transfer market.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am praying that Neto is fit for Sunday. I would play him and Podence just off Jimenez. I'd also consider Traore and Vinagre as wing backs in this game. Doc is way off the pace and I think we need more attacking intent from the wing backs.
Interesting. Very attack minded and would surely surprise Everton - assuming word does not get back to Ancelotti via Toffee spys having a gander here.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Na I can't say I enjoyed watching this but then the same way I wouldn't lecture a NASA engineer on how to build a space craft I'm not gonna waste time giving an opinion on a complex topic totally out of my reach
Football's a simple game. It's certainly not rocket science or even ballistics. Anyway, quantum physics trumps all of those for complexity. Nah football, the beautiful game, is really very simple. Believe me, I've played it since I was a kid - ah "the players"...

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's amazing the reputation we have with the general public/pundits in terms of our style when you consider how we actually play.

Shows the latter know nothing.
That's the frustrating thing about it all. We can play - refer Spurs home, Liverpool x 2 and 10 man City home. So those performances stick in the mind and rightly so, because it shows how dangerous we can be. Neutrals don't tune in to the likes of the SUFC and Bournemouth games and therefore don't see Mr Hyde! To be honest, I don't know whether we're good, bad or the ugly. But we are top 10 prem and that's a saving grace. Just need to win something, have a few good years and some panache about us. I know we are Wolves and should always be ready for the rug to be pulled but Nuno has given us some real hope. Don't want to see him **** it up with negative tactics.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why will we undoubtedly stand still. Players come and go. Others come in and could make us a better team. Have a bit of faith!!

I have more faith in this club right now than I ever have since my first game in 1992.

Ok, I perhaps should have worded my comment better. How about: Will losing all or any of Raul, Traore, Neves, Boly etc. significantly increase our chances of not progressing this summer? I’d say yes.

Therein lies my point that picking up 0 points from the last two games could have a big long term impact on this club. No certainty in that but not having European football will be a challenge.

Would I have taken a top 10 PL finish and at least a last 16 of EL when the season kicked off? That would be an emphatic “Yes!”

Doesn’t mean I can’t be disappointed with an unprofessional showing though and have some reservations about how the summer could play out.

M

merseawolf

I have more faith in this club right now than I ever have since my first game in 1992.

Ok, I perhaps should have worded my comment better. How about: Will losing all or any of Raul, Traore, Neves, Boly etc. significantly increase our chances of not progressing this summer? I’d say yes.

Therein lies my point that picking up 0 points from the last two games could have a big long term impact on this club. No certainty in that but not having European football will be a challenge.

Would I have taken a top 10 PL finish and at least a last 16 of EL when the season kicked off? That would be an emphatic “Yes!”

Doesn’t mean I can’t be disappointed with an unprofessional showing though and have some reservations about how the summer could play out.
I would think we are on track with Fosuns long term plan
Relax enjoy the ride.
6th in League still in Europa League
It’s incredible

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shuffling the same deck of cards.
So how are we defining no plan b. I would say changing the formation and personnel mid game absolutely is a plan b. What more would you like to see as a plan b? Rui up top, 1-1-8 formation?

D

Deleted member 5635

So how are we defining no plan b. I would say changing the formation and personnel mid game absolutely is a plan b. What more would you like to see as a plan b? Rui up top, 1-1-8 formation?
Maybe use more than 2 subs when 5 are permitted

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be honest I would like to see Neto and Podence utilised better. Both could be very effective in a no10 role in front of Moutinho and Neves and just behind Raul and Jota.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe use more than 2 subs when 5 are permitted

Or tweek the tactics. For example Neto/ Podence playing just off Raul as no10 style players. Vinagre and Traore as attack minded wing backs. Worked a treat against Cardiff in the home game last season and there was another game.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I would like to see Neto and Podence utilised better. Both could be very effective in a no10 role in front of Moutinho and Neves and just behind Raul and Jota.
Again, thats your opinion. My comment was that he does have a plan B, just because people dont agree with it doesnt change the fact that he does have one

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Have you seen any games with 5 subs? They look like England friendlies under Sven, totally disjointed because of too many changes.

Man Utd doing quite well doing this. Rotating their players with ease. Donck as the only sub on Wednesday was a shambles.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man Utd doing quite well doing this. Rotating their players with ease. Donck as the only sub on Wednesday was a shambles.
Is it not easier to change players when you are winning as they have time to bed as they can keep their shape for 5 mins while they are finding their feet. Different kettle of fish if drawing and even moreso losing, they cant afford that luxury.

M

merseawolf

They were brilliant last night till they made loads of changes
Won the game with ease then rest players and see the game out.
You must remember how much they have spent to assemble this group of players. We are no where near them as a squad. Look at our bench on Weds night. Nuno played for a draw and nearly got it. Brought Donk on to see out a 0-0.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any organisation needs refreshment and new "blood"

For around 18 months we have used the same first 11/12 .

How can that be sensible ?

Our recent recruitment has been appalling and I worry about what is being done outside the first team.

MGW, Jordao , Curtrone Vinagre Podence, Campana .. why are they not coming on to the pitch ?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must remember how much they have spent to assemble this group of players. We are no where near them as a squad. Look at our bench on Weds night. Nuno played for a draw and nearly got it. Brought Donk on to see out a 0-0.
I reckon we're talking a 600 million spend for yesterday's starting line up alone. It's crazy they are only 5th.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any organisation needs refreshment and new "blood"

For around 18 months we have used the same first 11/12 .

How can that be sensible ?

Our recent recruitment has been appalling and I worry about what is being done outside the first team.

MGW, Jordao , Curtrone Vinagre Podence, Campana .. why are they not coming on to the pitch ?

Totally agree.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we're talking a 600 million spend for yesterday's starting line up alone. It's crazy they are only 5th.
Exactly same as where they were last season. Sorry they were 6th last season but still way way off competing with Liverpool or Man City

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it not easier to change players when you are winning as they have time to bed as they can keep their shape for 5 mins while they are finding their feet. Different kettle of fish if drawing and even moreso losing, they cant afford that luxury.

Fair point. Just frustrated at the lack of use of some of our players.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly same as where they were last season. Sorry they were 6th last season but still way way off competing with Liverpool or Man City

I can see them improving quite a bit. Fernandes is a brilliant signing and Greenwood is outstanding for his age. Pogba back to his best, Martial getting better and they could be in business.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At some point if we really want Champions league we are going to have to be spending Fernandes type money on part of our squad.

Back
Top Bottom