Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wouldn’t he have a disproportionate amount of mistakes against him in that case?
not necessarily.

He is poor at almost all aspects of defending but they don't show up as glaring errors

tracking his runner - led to multiple goals this season
blocking shots - doesn't really throw himself in the way, usually turns back on ball
positioning for a high ball - regularly targeted
tackling - backs off wingers regularly allowing attacking sides into much better positions

We could do a lot better in my opinion. I'm not trying to scapegoat him. I just think we should have a much better righ back

You could say the above will be less exposed with a 5 man defence. The problem with that is that you have to ask for more in an attacking perspective and he is quite limited in that sense too. 3 assists and 1 goal in over 100 games. Compare that to someone like Matty Cash who has played similar amount of games for a club in a similar position - 6 goals, 7 assists. Or even Ait-Nouri - 30 less games 3 goals, 5 assists.

To summarise, he is not good enough.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's doing okay recently. I quite like him as a full back, less so as a wing back given his attacking limitations.

Good on the ball in tight positions, decent 1 vs 1, can pass well etc. However, he's crap going forward and his positional sense and aerial ability is suspect. If he'd come through the ranks or paid <10m we'd rate him; but with the fee paid he's not really met expectations. I'd say that's pretty much where we are with Nelson, and have been since he came: he's a good footballer, but not great at anything in particular.

T

TheConcourse

not necessarily.

He is poor at almost all aspects of defending but they don't show up as glaring errors

tracking his runner - led to multiple goals this season
blocking shots - doesn't really throw himself in the way, usually turns back on ball
positioning for a high ball - regularly targeted
tackling - backs off wingers regularly allowing attacking sides into much better positions

We could do a lot better in my opinion. I'm not trying to scapegoat him. I just think we should have a much better righ back

You could say the above will be less exposed with a 5 man defence. The problem with that is that you have to ask for more in an attacking perspective and he is quite limited in that sense too. 3 assists and 1 goal in over 100 games. Compare that to someone like Matty Cash who has played similar amount of games for a club in a similar position - 6 goals, 7 assists. Or even Ait-Nouri - 30 less games 3 goals, 5 assists.

To summarise, he is not good enough.
You say not necessarily, but the stats suggest that teams put him under significantly higher levels of pressure. So he’s either not that bad defensively, or he’s the atrocious mess that people suggest.

He’s actually very good defensively, but crap going forward, and weak defending the back post.

Of course we could do better, but the people pining after Doc are going to have a rude awakening defensively. He was dreadful 3 years ago (defensively), and has, relatively speaking, barely kicked a football since.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This bloke really infuriates me … mainly because he has the potential to be a very good player but then lets himself down with so many basic errors (foul throw ins are inexcusable).

Watch the Villa goal back. His positioning is just plain wrong. He’s 1 or 2 yards too far forward when the cross comes in. If he was level with Dawson and Kilman then there is no goal there. It’s these small things that matter at the top level.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This bloke really infuriates me … mainly because he has the potential to be a very good player but then lets himself down with so many basic errors (foul throw ins are inexcusable).

Watch the Villa goal back. His positioning is just plain wrong. He’s 1 or 2 yards too far forward when the cross comes in. If he was level with Dawson and Kilman then there is no goal there. It’s these small things that matter at the top level.
If you watch the highlights of the whole game...lemina is clearly earmarked to watch Pau Torres at every free kick....it happens every time......villa goal....lemina is initially on Torres....semedo is cleary instructed to zonal mark.....when lemina get stuck ball watching and leaves Torres, you can see semedo shout him to pick him up.....confusion happens and Semedo is caught between zonal and oncoming Torres......the goal goes in and Semedo berates lemina for leaving him..........it's lemina fault.....not semedo..

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you watch the highlights of the whole game...lemina is clearly earmarked to watch Pau Torres at every free kick....it happens every time......villa goal....lemina is initially on Torres....semedo is cleary instructed to zonal mark.....when lemina get stuck ball watching and leaves Torres, you can see semedo shout him to pick him up.....confusion happens and Semedo is caught between zonal and oncoming Torres......the goal goes in and Semedo berates lemina for leaving him..........it's lemina fault.....not semedo..
Disagree. As right back his position is plain wrong.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree. As right back his position is plain wrong.
Watch every set piece .....tell me lemina isn't on Torres at every set piece....he leaves him on the goal....watch lemina after the goal and his reaction tells he he has left him....watch semedo berate him..

Semedo is zonal marking , not man marking.... semedo makes mistakes but that one isn't down to him....it's lemina who had fuked up...

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch every set piece .....tell me lemina isn't on Torres at every set piece....he leaves him on the goal....watch lemina after the goal and his reaction tells he he has left him....watch semedo berate him..

Semedo is zonal marking , not man marking.... semedo makes mistakes but that one isn't down to him....it's lemina who had fuked up...
And he’s in completely the wrong zone!

T

TheConcourse

I’d agree with this. I always feel like he leaves something on the pitch. Not sure, perhaps it’s just a notch of intensity that stops him from being a very good WB. Which is probably why he’s with us.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And he’s in completely the wrong zone!
Pau Torres is lemina man at every set piece...he is marking him when the free kick is coming in initially....it get cleared he come out as does semedo but lemina doesn't react to the 2nd cross and leaves him....semedo doesn't react as well but lemina has left the bloke he has marked on every set piece....

Both of there reaction was crap...but Torres is lemina man....his bloke has scored...

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pau Torres is lemina man at every set piece...he is marking him when the free kick is coming in initially....it get cleared he come out as does semedo but lemina doesn't react to the 2nd cross and leaves him....semedo doesn't react as well but lemina has left the bloke he has marked on every set piece....

Both of there reaction was crap...but Torres is lemina man....his bloke has scored...
Nope. If Semedo is in the right zone/position that a right back should be … it’s no goal. Forget the man. Forget the marking. If he gets his position right … there’s no goal.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
In the first few minutes against Villa, Kilman put Semedo in again with exactly the same left footed pass into the channel for the winner against City.
I like that Kilman is trying this more now. Santi Bueno seems to be really good at those lobbed balls, as per his highlights video. Too bad he’s so slow.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope. If Semedo is in the right zone/position that a right back should be … it’s no goal. Forget the man. Forget the marking. If he gets his position right … there’s no goal.
He is in line with the rest of his defence when toti clears the initial ball....they come out as does lemina who then doesn't react to the 2nd ball and leaves Torres to move forward....semedo is in line with the rest of the defence.....yes the line is caught high.......ya can't fully blame semedo when lemina leaves his man.....watch lemina when he realises it's Torres who has scored....hands on his head cause he knows it's his man who he has been instructed to pick up at every set piece...

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is in line with the rest of his defence when toti clears the initial ball....they come out as does lemina who then doesn't react to the 2nd ball and leaves Torres to move forward....semedo is in line with the rest of the defence.....yes the line is caught high.......ya can't fully blame semedo when lemina leaves his man.....watch lemina when he realises it's Torres who has scored....hands on his head cause he knows it's his man who he has been instructed to pick up at every set piece...
We’re gonna have to agree to disagree then. Have a great Saturday night :)

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So when it's not Semedo, it's Semedo

Ok

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You say not necessarily, but the stats suggest that teams put him under significantly higher levels of pressure. So he’s either not that bad defensively, or he’s the atrocious mess that people suggest.

He’s actually very good defensively, but crap going forward, and weak defending the back post.

Of course we could do better, but the people pining after Doc are going to have a rude awakening defensively. He was dreadful 3 years ago (defensively), and has, relatively speaking, barely kicked a football since.
It isn’t about inducing mistakes out of him, the ball gets played past/over him very easily as he loses his man and rarely gets back close to the man again once he realises he has been bypassed for the umpteenth time that game leading to many shots and goals for the oppo.

His positioning out of possession is poor added to his weak defensive reading of runners/concentrating to keep close to his man.

That is why teams attack us down there, it isn’t to induce mistakes, it is because other clubs know he is our weakest all round defender and he is the path of least resistance to create opportunities to score as I get told after every game my friends/old colleagues when they play wolves and they talk about the game and what they said to their coaching team about wolves in the “opposition reports” they have a hand in writing each week.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You do realise this clear explanation does not fit the narrative, RAN gets caught out in exactly the same way, there will always be space behind both full backs in a 5, the space at the far post was exploited many times under Nuno even when Doc played, less so with Jonny.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do realise this clear explanation does not fit the narrative, RAN gets caught out in exactly the same way, there will always be space behind both full backs in a 5, the space at the far post was exploited many times under Nuno even when Doc played, less so with Jonny.
I blamed semedo originally, but after rewatching the game on sky I notice lemina on Torres at every set piece....in the same way mcguin is on Dawson.....

Don't get wrong semedo has a mare as well, and can't defend a ball over his head , we get that...but it's a set piece situation that has gone wrong....lemina doesnt pick up Torres , close enough from the initial ball , and then leaves him for the 2nd ball....there is also a villa player out wide on the touchline, which semedo intially is caught in two minds to go to but sticks to his zonal position.
You are correct under Nuno , Doherty got caught out at the far post a few times in similar circumstances...it happens it football.....there are some fans who have to blame one individual for every goal we concede.
It's football, you concede goals....

T

TheConcourse

It isn’t about inducing mistakes out of him, the ball gets played past/over him very easily as he loses his man and rarely gets back close to the man again once he realises he has been bypassed for the umpteenth time that game leading to many shots and goals for the oppo.

His positioning out of possession is poor added to his weak defensive reading of runners/concentrating to keep close to his man.

That is why teams attack us down there, it isn’t to induce mistakes, it is because other clubs know he is our weakest all round defender and he is the path of least resistance to create opportunities to score as I get told after every game my friends/old colleagues when they play wolves and they talk about the game and what they said to their coaching team about wolves in the “opposition reports” they have a hand in writing each week.
An alternative view is that other teams know Neto is unlikely to track back, and given that most teams at this level execute overloads incredibly well, it’s the obvious route to create an advantage.

Either way, it all feels like a bit of an unnecessary conversation. Until someone can be ***** sitting there and running through goals line by line, it’s hard to get a sense of perspective.

I get the feeling some players who make a mistake are often amplified based on a perception of poor performance.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An alternative view is that other teams know Neto is unlikely to track back, and given that most teams at this level execute overloads incredibly well, it’s the obvious route to create an advantage.

Either way, it all feels like a bit of an unnecessary conversation. Until someone can be ***** sitting there and running through goals line by line, it’s hard to get a sense of perspective.

I get the feeling some players who make a mistake are often amplified based on a perception of poor performance.
Sorry mate, but semedo is seen as our weekend player by the very people who write the opposition reports on us. It isn’t perception, he is often way off his man or caught out by balls landing ontop of him to the back stick on a diagonal angle, not a traditional cross.

Teams have targeted him before neto was fit and firing again, so it isn’t a thing like your are suggesting unfortunately. The issue is with semedo no matter who is infront of him.

People talk about semedo and talk about how to fit him in, but in basic terms people are saying he needs a constant minder and almost a defensive holding player close to him. He shouldn’t need a fraction of the support he does at his age and number of games in his position in his career to date.

People always look to excuse him or shift the blame onto another player. As he is always needing more cover etc, yet roti didn’t need the same level of cover and he isn’t even a full back…… semedo isn’t a good defender for the premier league, he wasn’t even that good in a barca team. So why is the career full back needing so much cover and support?

If RAN is so weak as people claim, why isn’t he targeted as much? Simply from people I have asked, he stays closer to his man and is a better “man marker” than semedo and also if RAN does intercept or nip a pass away from his man, he is seen as a far greater threat on the break by semedo. So RAN has issues people pick out, but the strengths he has going forward quickly and his far superior close control to beat a player are risks that aren’t worth the reward compared to
Our right hand side.

Just look at how few caps he has gained and squads he has made for Portugal since he has been at the club.

Teams also state on his side you can run the same passing moves multiple times as he doesn’t have the defensive skills mentally to twig that a move has happened before so you can exploit him with the same move far more than any other player in our entire starting 11.

T

TheConcourse

Sorry mate, but semedo is seen as our weekend player by the very people who write the opposition reports on us. It isn’t perception, he is often way off his man or caught out by balls landing ontop of him to the back stick on a diagonal angle, not a traditional cross.

Teams have targeted him before neto was fit and firing again, so it isn’t a thing like your are suggesting unfortunately. The issue is with semedo no matter who is infront of him.

People talk about semedo and talk about how to fit him in, but in basic terms people are saying he needs a constant minder and almost a defensive holding player close to him. He shouldn’t need a fraction of the support he does at his age and number of games in his position in his career to date.

People always look to excuse him or shift the blame onto another player. As he is always needing more cover etc, yet roti didn’t need the same level of cover and he isn’t even a full back…… semedo isn’t a good defender for the premier league, he wasn’t even that good in a barca team. So why is the career full back needing so much cover and support?

If RAN is so weak as people claim, why isn’t he targeted as much? Simply from people I have asked, he stays closer to his man and is a better “man marker” than semedo and also if RAN does intercept or nip a pass away from his man, he is seen as a far greater threat on the break by semedo. So RAN has issues people pick out, but the strengths he has going forward quickly and his far superior close control to beat a player are risks that aren’t worth the reward compared to
Our right hand side.

Just look at how few caps he has gained and squads he has made for Portugal since he has been at the club.

Teams also state on his side you can run the same passing moves multiple times as he doesn’t have the defensive skills mentally to twig that a move has happened before so you can exploit him with the same move far more than any other player in our entire starting 11.
Genuinely don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as is being made out. Just a middle of the road full back. The league is littered with them.

He’s miles better defensively than Doc, but not anywhere near as effective going forward.

Genuinely think we’ll see how underrated he is defensively when he misses a run of games.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as is being made out. Just a middle of the road full back. The league is littered with them.

He’s miles better defensively than Doc, but not anywhere near as effective going forward.

Genuinely think we’ll see how underrated he is defensively when he misses a run of games.
He is a good 1v1 stand up challenge full back, that I don’t think can be argued.

It is his positioning and concentration that really kills him.

Many people only see his 1v1 tackles but then ignore or miss the errors in judgement or inability to keep close to a man.

There is a reason the ball is played in behind him so often in a game of you watch semedo as whole.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@CelebrityWolf and @wolfslair chatting absolute nonsense again I see.

Not at all surprising, but extremely tiresome.
Chatting nonsense how?

I have shared thoughts of others I speak to……

My personal points about him losing his man too easily have been shared by countless other posters including one mod in Bod and a poster in SBK who often has a polar opposite view point.

So instead of a pointless and personal barbed post, why not discuss the points then aiming for cheap likes?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By constantly repeating a false claim that opposition teams target Semedo as a weak link. Its not only incorrect, its entirely made up, yet you use it to justify your opinion.
It isn’t incorrect or made up….. it is what you want to say because you don’t like it. So easier to say it is incorrect and made up than accept that is what other clubs think about one of our players.

The fact I even shared the detail about RAN, shows that I get a good level of detail out of people.

I have stated where the info has come from, this is what other clubs are doing, I know the people who do the work and have done for many years.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By constantly repeating a false claim that opposition teams target Semedo as a weak link. It’s not only incorrect, it’s entirely made up, yet you use it to justify your opinion.
Should say that another poster, put down the percentage of attacks down each wing that showed there is more focus down that flank…..

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@CelebrityWolf and @wolfslair chatting absolute nonsense again I see.

Not at all surprising, but extremely tiresome.

Nothing nonsense about it. He has cost us multiple goals this season and teams target his side. Add the fact he is less than worthless going forward and you have a waste of a shirt. We have literally seen him quit in games on more than one occasion, I dunno how anyone forgives that.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing nonsense about it. He has cost us multiple goals this season and teams target his side. Add the fact he is less than worthless going forward and you have a waste of a shirt. We have literally seen him quit in games on more than one occasion, I dunno how anyone forgives that.

Look up the meanings of the words "fact", "quit" and "literally".

The facts... literally say, that he has made zero errors resulting in goals.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

There are also numerous articles discussing the bizarre stat of consistently over 60% of all attacks (from all teams, against all teams) coming down the left hand side. It is a known, but unexplained thing that predates Nelson even been born, never mind moving to Wolves.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look up the meanings of the words "fact", "quit" and "literally".

The facts... literally say, that he has made zero errors resulting in goals.
Not about errors like bad touches etc

Although one bad touch led to lemina’s second yellow and one smashing off the post against Luton.

It is about the issues his poor positioning and weakness to diagonal balls which he gets caught under at the back stick on multiple occasions in the seasons he has played for us.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
There are also numerous articles discussing the bizarre stat of consistently over 60% of all attacks (from all teams, against all teams) coming down the left hand side. It is a known, but unexplained thing that predates Nelson even been born, never mind moving to Wolves.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.
It's not even unexplained. Majority of teams favour inverted wingers and have for years. The majority of players are right footed, hence majority of attacks come down the opposition's left wing

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I always go with the opinions of the Mix over Semedo's successive managers at Benfica, Barcelona, Wolves and Portugal

I mean you only have to look at the thread on the footballing careers of Mix members to understand the calibre of top level footballing knowledge on show here

Barcelona were absolutely delighted to be shot of him and to get a good fee to boot. Barca fans still have nightmares over his performance against Bayern, similar performance to what we have seen him have against Brighton and others.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Nelson but he’s sort of the Adama of defending, if opposing body types. Excellent when involved directly, but away from the play it can be nap time. Neither can shoot or cross but Adama holds the bottom down too long and Nelson lets it go too soon.

Hard to find 1v1 defenders like Semedo, though. Nobody has torn him up like Davies did. He makes his mistakes but honestly the guy gets punished for goals at a bizarre rate for a FB/WB, gets burned for a goal almost every time like a keeper. He really doesn’t screw up that often but if a ball goes over Nelson’s head they’re not missing. Surely the next 10 errors go unpunished?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I always go with the opinions of the Mix over Semedo's successive managers at Benfica, Barcelona, Wolves and Portugal

I mean you only have to look at the thread on the footballing careers of Mix members to understand the calibre of top level footballing knowledge on show here
Perhaps the mods can put a special tag against the usernames of people here who have played to professional level so I know whose opinions I can trust, rather than my own eyes obviously.....

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Our right hand side.

Do you remember our home game against Man City season before last RAN targeted we conceded within the first few minutes, there have been quite a few occasions when the space behind both our fullbacks has been attacked.

Back
Top Bottom